• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Switch NG (Next Generation) to be closer to PS4/XB1 specs via ABK FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the wii nintendo always did cutting edge graphics, the n64 was the most powerful console at the time, but since the wii they want to do their gimmicks instead of power I guess

I fear this may make even more third party games in the future not come to the Switch 2
I mean, people were already assuming Switch 1 would have worse 3rd party support than Wii U and it would be dead on the water, and that would definitely be a trollish level of pessimism to have.

I think the Switch has proven, if anything, that console power isn't everything: It's money and exchanges under the table that speaks. Console wars politics will always be a prime factor. The question is how aggressive is Nintendo willing to make those deals?

I'm hoping for more support on next gen, since the switch has more than proven itself this time around installbase wise. Ubi and EA/Actiblizz probably would have been more active porting with hindsight. It is what it is, Post Wii U publishers may have felt burned and made the wrong call.

Personally I would looove to see what Nintendo can do with games on PS4ish hardware + DLSS. Should be an impressive leap in the hybrid space, and heck some PS4 games (on some ancient hardware) still look indulgently good to me, at times. Not that PS5 games can't look/perform much better, but my appetite was whetted pretty well with last gen.

Even if Switch 2 does end up close to PS4 + Xbone in raw power, here's how I see it:
Look how great games like God of War Ragnarok, The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Zero Dawn + Forbidden West, Red Dead Redemption II, or Ghost of Tsushima look on the PS4.
Now look at what Nintendo and friends were able to squeeze out of the Tegra X1 with games like Tears of the Kingdom, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Prime Remastered, and Luigi's Mansion 3.
We're in for some beautiful games folks.

Wonder if switch 2 will have a wii u problem, where the wii u was announced some people actually thought it was just a new gamepad for the wii and not a completely new console, some people might think it's just a switch 1 with some improved graphics and not nintendos next system and because and it also dosenf help its going to be on par with last gen ps4 in graphics
The problem with the WiiU was being a poorly thought-out console from the start. This was the only reason why consumers were able to confuse them because the device in question has no identity. I don’t see how this will happen with Switch 2 unless Nintendo copies literally everything about the Switch 1 & names it something silly like Advance or Super.
Before the wii nintendo always did cutting edge graphics, the n64 was the most powerful console at the time, but since the wii they want to do their gimmicks instead of power I guess

I fear this may make even more third party games in the future not come to the Switch 2
I mean we saw with cutting edge graphics both the N64 & GC struggle with 3rd party support. Power is not the end all be all for devs. We just heard Bobby Kotick mention missing out on Switch, yet 7yrs later nothing really done to rectify it. P3R started dev in late 2019 yet is skipping the system at launch because…¯\(ツ)/¯. As they say “where there is a will, there is a way”; so far some of the devs just don’t have the will.

Even if Switch 2 does end up close to PS4 + Xbone in raw power, here's how I see it:
Look how great games like God of War Ragnarok, The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Zero Dawn + Forbidden West, Red Dead Redemption II, or Ghost of Tsushima look on the PS4.
Now look at what Nintendo and friends were able to squeeze out of the Tegra X1 with games like Tears of the Kingdom, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Prime Remastered, and Luigi's Mansion 3.
If you haven't tried it yet, check out the Pikmin 4 demo as it shows how Unreal Engine (4) looks and performs on Switch under capable hands. Now imagine Pikmin V using Unreal Engine 5 using DLSS and its tensor/RT cores for things like Nanite and Lumen... Or perhaps the next Luigi's Mansion or Punch-Out by Next Level Games using newer hardware.

Never thought of it that way. The lighting, textures etc are going to be stunning. Nintendo squeezes 1.5x whatever other studios do from their own systems.

I know we as Nintendo fans have been hyping up the Switch for six years but it's worth noting that a jump to PS4 would be huge in practice

Closer to that gen in terms of raw power but performing much better due to DLSS/Modern features is what I was assuming based on the recent Eurogamer/VGC articles

not really confirmed. the email says they need to confirm it. not to mention arch differences and whatnot
I'm pretty sure the subject there is the assumption that "we could make something compelling for NG Switch as well." The "closer alignment" is stated as fact

Given the closer alignment to gen8 platforms in terms of performance and our previous offerings on PS4 XboxOne, it is reasonable to assume that we could make something compelling for NG Switch as well. It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early.

I'm pretty sure the subject there is the assumption that "we could make something compelling for NG Switch as well." The "closer alignment" is stated as fact
Another way to interpret this is that, since most of their releases are still cross-gen, the fact that NG Switch actually aligns with level of performance means that it is suddenly a feasible release platform for their current development. I'm not really reading it as 'NG Switch is a gen 8 console,' but 'NG Switch is comparable to platforms we currently support.'

Even if it's basically a handheld PS4 I'm very ok with that. But I think it's reasonable to expect some extra goodness on top via DLSS, fast flash storage, etc.

"Given closer alignment of Gen8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 xbox One, it's reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for NG switch as well."

Can someone break this down?

Gen 8 platforms=?

This sentence says Gen 8 platforms and previous offerings on PS4/Xbox One worked well together/were the same. Switch NG should be fine.

Sentence makes no sense lol. It's like saying our PS4 games worked well on PS4 so Switch NG should be fine too.

Like no duh your PS4 games worked well on PS4. It's terrible english. I thought this was a comparison of two gens. It's say gen Z was gen Z? Artsy phrasing for something that isn't even a comparison. A dog is a dog. No duh.

"Given closer alignment of Gen8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 xbox One, it's reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for NG switch as well."

Can someone break this down?

Gen 8 platforms=?

This sentence says Gen 8 platforms and previous offerings on PS4/Xbox One worked well together/were the same. Switch NG should be fine.

Sentence makes no sense lol. It's like saying our PS4 games worked well on PS4 so Switch NG should be fine too.

Like no duh your PS4 games worked well on PS4. It's terrible english. I thought this was a comparison of two gens. It's say gen Z was gen Z? Artsy phrasing for something that isn't even a comparison. A dog is a dog. No duh.
[drake] is of closer alignment to gen8 (ps4/xbo)
ABK had ps4/xbo games
therefore, ABK can make stuff for drake

drake isn't specified at the beginning, because the whole topic is about it, so it's assumed.

Closer to that gen in terms of raw power but performing much better due to DLSS/Modern features is what I was assuming based on the recent Eurogamer/VGC articles
Along with more ram too.

Steam Deck is basically a portable PS4 too, but due to modern architecture, and Linux, it runs most PS5 game out of the box. And it still is very unoptimized due to it being a PC environment instead of a closed hardware environment.

Switch 2 only needs games to run at like 540p for games to look pretty decent in docked mode too. And like, 360p Handheld. So that helps too.

And that's not even mentioning DLSS. I'm right there with you

December 2022?

Does that mean that Kotick lied when he testified and said that his company didn't know about the Switch successor's specs?
Knowing what the system is targetting =/= knowing the systems final specs. There are many stories of games being made with an assumption of specs that ended up not panning out. It's very believable that the runaway CoD train isn't stopping until they have final specs.

Imagine the Luigi Death Stares in the next Mario Kart.
it's gonna be that western cut of the hyper-detailed face

hossein-diba-hossein-diba-ars.jpg

Steam Deck launches at $400-$650, not even full PS4 power, only has FSR 1.0 built-in system-wide, built like a brick with the worst stick placements in gaming history, Linux-based relying on Proton or DXVK so not every game runs or even boots as well as it should, and people go crazy and praise it to high heavens.

Switch 2 is a PS4+ (most likely in handheld, not even docked) that would likely launch at $400, run games better than a PS4, has DLSS which beats FSR/etc to the curb, would be built more elegantly and not feel as awful, not a PC so APIs/etc can take complete full advantage of the hardware, and people cry and go Nintendoomed.

So yeah, the selective doom and gloom regarding Nintendo and no one else is really funny to me.

why is this passed as new news? isnt it old news? for all we know the latest demos are on better hardware than the one being talked here ,right?

Nintendo games are going to look spectacular on PS4 level hardware!

Really curious how Pokemon is gonna turn out, considering its struggle with this gen.

I guess, as long as we can get an ocarina of time remake that has visuals comparable to FF7R and it runs at 60fps this isn’t too bad.
I really want that remake as well. I got the NSO expansion pass recently and the N64 version is not pretty. I can't believe how much I used to marvel at it.

It wasn't an assumption. ABK was briefed on the NG Switch on December 14th 2022.

This doesn't tell us anything new, and it still doesn't confirm that Activision knows anything about next gen Switch.

Here's my interpretation of events, based solely on the declassified emails and quotes from an FTC vs. Activision questioning session with Kotick.

Sometime before December 14, 2022
- Activision and Nintendo set up a meeting to discuss future partnerships. Present at this meeting will be Kotick and Furukawa.

December 14, 2022
- Three Activision execs (Schnakenberg, Zerza, and Forbes) looped Kotick in on an email that included a document called NG Switch Draft.pdf, which was not confirmed to be informed by Nintendo, and likely was a drafted proposal to be presented to Furukawa for Activision to receive next gen Switch dev kits. Included in this document is the following unredacted text:
It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early.

December 15, 2022
- Kotick meets with Furukawa and uses the documents included in the email chain the day before.

June 2023
- Kotick answers questions from the FTC and claims that Activision does not have next gen Switch specs or dev kits.
Kotick: I think once we get the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation of Switch, so I’d like to think that we’d be able to do that. We’d have to wait until the specifications, but wee [sic] don’t have any present plans to do so.

This doesn't tell us anything new (as far as I can understand), but it confirms a timeline that we suspected. Here's my interpretation of events, based solely on the declassified emails and quotes from an FTC vs. Activision questioning session with Kotick.

Sometime before December 14, 2022
- Activision and Nintendo set up a meeting to discuss future partnerships. Present at this meeting will be Kotick and Furukawa.

December 14, 2022
- Three Activision execs (Schnakenberg, Zerza, and Forbes) looped Kotick in on an email that included a document called NG Switch Draft.pdf, which was not confirmed to be informed by Nintendo, and likely was a drafted proposal to be presented to Furukawa for Activision to receive next gen Switch dev kits. Included in this document is the following unredacted text:

December 15, 2022
- Kotick meets with Furukawa and uses the documents included in the email chain the day before.

June 2023
- Kotick answers questions from the FTC and claims that Activision does not have next gen Switch specs or dev kits.
So Activision hasn’t been briefed by Nintendo directly?

So Activision hasn’t been briefed by Nintendo directly?

We have no evidence that Activision has been given details about NG Switch. In fact, given the quote above where Kotick says "I think once we get the detailed specifications ... We’d have to wait until the specifications", I would say we have evidence to the contrary.

It wasn't an assumption. ABK was briefed on the NG Switch on December 14th 2022.

This is all wrong.
  • This quote was already reported verbatim during the trial in June, and its context in this e-mail was known. It's not new information, so nothing is "confirmed" now that was an "assumption" before.
  • The quote is not from a briefing to Activision. It is from Activision's own executive summary of "Switch NG," which they prepared internally in advance of a conference call with Nintendo. We don't know the contents of that call.
  • Activision did not know the specs of Nintendo's hardware at the time of this e-mail. During his testimony in June, Kotick claimed they still didn't know them.
  • The quote does not say the hardware is "close to PS4/XBO specs" as this threadmark incorrectly states.

This is all wrong.
  • This quote was already reported verbatim during the trial in June, and its context in this e-mail was known. It's not new information, so nothing is "confirmed" now that was an "assumption" before.
  • The quote is not from a briefing to Activision. It is from Activision's own executive summary of "Switch NG," which they prepared internally in advance of a conference call with Nintendo. We don't know the contents of that call.
  • Activision did not know the specs of Nintendo's hardware at the time of this e-mail. During his testimony in June, Kotick claimed they still didn't know them.
  • The quote does not say the hardware is "close to PS4/XBO specs" as this threadmark incorrectly states.

I already stated all this several comments above but @the_marmolade has yet to respond

QFT:

There is one "new" tidbit in that email. "It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototype to prove that out nice and early"

The sentence right before that "given the closer alignment..." was repeated everywhere during the trial, and used to claim that Actiblinkered had access to devits and that they knew the system performance. During the trial, Kotick stated that they didn't have devkits, and that they didn't know the actual performance of the hardware.

This second sentence clearly explains that Kotick wasn't lying, and that all the overheated speculation during the trial based on that one sentence was silly.

We have no evidence that Activision has been given details about NG Switch. In fact, given the quote above where Kotick says "I think once we get the detailed specifications ... We’d have to wait until the specifications", I would say we have evidence to the contrary.
I agree with you, but for the sake of discussion let's just assume that yes, Kotick committed perjury and lied about knowing the NG Switch's specs

Why would he do that? What would lying about the Switch successors specs gain for Kotick in the FTC trial? The FTC would have had the email proving Kotick knew, and would have blasted him for it.

I agree with you, but for the sake of discussion let's just assume that yes, Kotick committed perjury and lied about knowing the NG Switch's specs

Why would he do that? What would lying about the Switch successors specs gain for Kotick in the FTC trial? The FTC would have had the email proving Kotick knew, and would have blasted him for it.
depends on how the questioning was at the time. was Kotick being question on "now" or "at the time of the emails"? because that would change answers.

or he could just not know, and leave that up to his engineers

Since the information supposedly being confirmed is murky at best, we have decided to close this thread. The conversation can be continued in the main hardware thread if people choose to do so.

-Josh5890, PixelKnight, VolcanicDynamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom