• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Switch NG (Next Generation) to be closer to PS4/XB1 specs via ABK FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nothing quote. He said they don't know the specs. Of course it's reasonable to assume it'll be at least PS4/XBO levels; but there is nothing of value from the quote beyond they can port COD over to the platform as long as it's around PS4/XBO levels.

"Q Even without microsoft buying activision, its likely that ATVI would make COD available on future Nintendo hardware?

I think it's possible, wed consider the specs.

Q repeat question

Like I said, once we have the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation on Switch, I would like to think we'd be able to do that, but we'd have to wait for specs. We dont have any present plans to do so."
Ah ok I wasn't aware there were other quotes out there. What you posted is definitely more clear. I mean one would assume AB has a general idea of what the hardware will be, but obviously pretty clear that they don't have the specs.

Portable Series S was always a fool's dream

DLSS magic sauce cannot overcome physics
Please follow the speculation thread and read the threadmarks. NOBODY has suggested XSS portable performance, or that DLSS was “magic sauce” (it will still give it advantages, but we know it’s not a unicorn). Docked is certainly possible, and if you followed the leaks, you would know the leaked GPU is clear of the XSS’s (1536 CUDA Cores VS 1280 shader cores, Nvidia RT VS AMD RT, more modern architecture, DLSS/Neural Unit VS No DLSS). Ultimately, those are some of the things we know so far about a product still in development, and for a large part, most people have made fair and reasonable deductions from that. But your post isn’t helpful, because fans ought to dare to expect, and dare to expect again. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. A few trolls might laugh, but clowning anyone who might be more optimistic isn’t pleasant. Same goes for the whole Team 2023 VS Team 2024 BS. Kinda hoped all of that would be left behind at the New Old Place, tbqh.

Can this thread be locked? All discussion regarding future Nintendo hardware should be done in the Future Nintendo Hardware thread.

Kotick literally knows nothing about Switch 2.

If anything, this quote proves that Nintendo still haven't sent out dev kits or tech specs to developers yet.

"Reasonable to assume"
Is it reasonable to assume that it will be a bit more powerful than the Amstrad CPC 6128+ ? If it can't run Count Duckula 2 better than the Amstrad CPC, then Nintendo is doomed.

extra_lire_fichier.php

Believe it or not, this screenshot is running at half the game's framerate (yes, it ran at 2 FPS. TWO).

Assuming. It makes an ass out of you, and makes an ass out of me

PS4 level graphics + fast storage would be amazing

Anyone who feels down about this prospect is being unrealistic about what’s possible in the Switch form factor

NOBODY has suggested XSS portable performance, or that DLSS was “magic sauce” (it will still give it advantages, but we know it’s not a unicorn).
one might even say that it was a fool's dream then

this says it'll be somewhere around gen 8, presumably ranging from a little below the Xbox One to a little above the PS4. all the post you replied to is saying is that expecting current gen was a pipe dream

one might even say that it was a fool's dream then

this says it'll be somewhere around gen 8, presumably ranging from a little below the Xbox One to a little above the PS4. all the post you replied to is saying is that expecting current gen was a pipe dream
It'll be as between the PS4 and PS5 as the Switch was between the PS3 and PS4. It ain't gonna be below it

I am hoping for 1440p max, not even an attempt at 4k.

Sick of how long games take, we've lost our way.

Honestly Nintendo has not even reached some PS3 games like The Last of Us
Not my video, but yes, they have. Surpassed it, even. Horizon being put on a pedestal is always amusing, especially after watching this. BTW, photorealism is one of many art styles. You can draw it and fake it on Art Academy: Sketchbook. You don’t need “more power” for it, and it won’t melt your Switch. More power is needed to bring the characters and world to life. Breath already blows TLOU, Horizon, and a ton of AAA titles out of the water, while developers across the gaming spectra are in awe of what was accomplished in Tears, on the Switch. This is what I mean about overshooting the capacities of PS/XBox hardware while undershooting Nintendo hardware. Also ignoring that PS first party publications targeted 30FPS more often than not, while Nintendo publications targeted 60FPS. Take Super Mario 3D World, for example. A Wii U title which launched around the time of the XB1/PS4 launches. Sackboy on PS4 is 720p and 60FPS - When the PS4 targets 60FPS, there isn’t THAT much between their games and Nintendo’s output. Try to tell someone that Sackboy is orders of magnitude more than that game, and you would rightly be laughed off the face of this planet. Of course, PS is totally fine with putting that game on PS4 NOW, because the discourse around that system is done. But seeing such claims on enthusiast forums persist is a kind of reach that would have Dhalsim, Stretch Armstrong and Elastigirl tapping out in submission, it’s painful to read and watch.

"And you are my friend too, loyal consumer! And remember, Pikmin™ 4 launches exclusively on Nintendo Switch™ July 21st, but a demo is available on the Nintendo Switch™ eShop starting today! It can be enjoyed even if you have never played a game in the Pikmin™ series before! Plus, the Pikmin™ 1+2 bundle, featuring HD versions of the original Nintendo Gamecube™ titles, is now available digitally on the Nintendo Switch™ eShop, with physical copies available in-store starting September 22nd! Let's explore the world of Pikmin™ together, friend!"
the Pikmin™ 4 game for the Nintendo Switch™ family of systems

I think whats more important is the ease of use. I have a launch switch and the battery dies in an hour or two, at least it feels that way. Or make the controllers a bit more robust and weight.

Plus i miss when more power in games also meant pushing the game design in terms of how many things/system it can render, now it just feels like more resolution, or fidelity.

I know peoole always say the chasing graphicsl stuff has diminishing returns, but i think the ps4 generation was actually the point where at least i dont care anymore about going any further. The particle effects in ffxvi look really nice, but im guessing a more stylised version could be made on the next switch hardware (not talking about xvi specifically, just the effects potential use across games.

If the switch 2 is more portable, like you could fit it in your pocket somehow and it folds, having games like elden ring and such on there would be worth it enough for me to get it.
I have found it wierd for sometime now that, as it feels these past years have been the time for remakes of classic gamee, nintendo has really not engaged in it to the extant, at least with big series like zelda and mario, that i thought they would pursue. Perahps these stronger systems are a pathway to that.

I also know this sounds silly, and these may just be the perception of young adults/teenagers on other message boards, but i find it odd how nintendo still carries the reputation, along with their franchies of, "oh thats for kids". Splatoon is by far the best shooter ive played, yet undoubtedly some people have an initial aversion the the context of the art style. Now i dont expect or hope the next splatoon looks like dark souls but it would be intresting to see how the "general art style " (assuming there is one for switch, the sort of cartoony friendly but not vapid botw, animal crossing style) will look on nintendos next console. Perahps something a bit darker, literally, in the vein of smash brawl, could bring a different taste

Not my video, but yes, they have. Surpassed it, even. Horizon being put on a pedestal is always amusing, especially after watching this. BTW, photorealism is one of many art styles. You can draw it and fake it on Art Academy: Sketchbook. You don’t need “more power” for it, and it won’t melt your Switch. More power is needed to bring the characters and world to life. Breath already blows TLOU, Horizon, and a ton of AAA titles out of the water, while developers across the gaming spectra are in awe of what was accomplished in Tears, on the Switch. This is what I mean about overshooting the capacities of PS/XBox hardware while undershooting Nintendo hardware. Also ignoring that PS first party publications targeted 30FPS more often than not, while Nintendo publications targeted 60FPS. Take Super Mario 3D World, for example. A Wii U title which launched around the time of the XB1/PS4 launches. Sackboy on PS4 is 720p and 60FPS - When the PS4 targets 60FPS, there isn’t THAT much between their games and Nintendo’s output. Try to tell someone that Sackboy is orders of magnitude more than that game, and you would rightly be laughed off the face of this planet. Of course, PS is totally fine with putting that game on PS4 NOW, because the discourse around that system is done. But seeing such claims on enthusiast forums persist is a kind of reach that would have Dhalsim, Stretch Armstrong and Elastigirl tapping out in submission, it’s painful to read and watch.

I think TotK is an amazing game, but that artstyle hides a lot of low poly models and low quality textures lets be honest. PS3 was a surprisingly advanced piece of hardware that gen and the last of us was the pinnacle of graphics on that platform. Switch doesnt have a game that competes with that and it frankly doesnt have to. That doesnt mean that theyre equal.

Would be cool to see a Nintendo game at TLoU levels of fidelity but I’m not sure I want them to blow 220M USD on a single game

Honestly I think that Nintendo’s games on Switch look better than what Sony/Insomniac could do on the PS3

A well thought and well done art design and art style >>>> Just more geometry and effects.

BotW/TotK and stuff like Hi Fi Rush will still look great in 15 years. I'm not sure this can be said about ~50% of other AAA games out there.

I think TotK is an amazing game, but that artstyle hides a lot of low poly models and low quality textures lets be honest. PS3 was a surprisingly advanced piece of hardware that gen and the last of us was the pinnacle of graphics on that platform. Switch doesnt have a game that competes with that and it frankly doesnt have to. That doesnt mean that theyre equal.

I played TLoU on the PS5 and I honestly found it quite ugly. IMO many Switch games look better than it. It's Horizon fidelity that hasn't been reached and I'm curious if it'll be reached on the next Switch.

It's also comparing a hallway game to an open world game.

But you don't think Redacted (or whatever it's called "Next Switch") could perform like PS4 Pro?
(Before adding improvements of a more modern architecture, better CPU, DLSS, and other more modern features that would make it even better).

PS4 performance adding all these current improvements would be amazing to me, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity if you don't try to at least get to PS4 Pro performance. (Similar to what happened with NX/Switch which was about to have much lower performance and a 480p screen that would work through Stream View on television and luckily Switch did not end up being that).

PS4 level graphics + fast storage would be amazing

Anyone who feels down about this prospect is being unrealistic about what’s possible in the Switch form factor
Agree. Just look at the Rog Ally to get a better picture of what can be archived currently and at what cost. Even if it is in terms of Tera flops ps4 level, this won't be an 10 year old SoC. So you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you're using polygon counts and texture resolutions, then I don't think you understand the limitations of the ps3 and switch

Well sure, but Switch is pulling a lot of tricks there too to make it run acceptably. The bloodmoon isnt just a gameplay mechanic for instance.

Not that I prefer TloU to TotK in any way. It shows that Nintendo knows this system inside out and they can do amazing stuff with it, and I would love to see them try something like that on a system that has more headroom.

If you read the post, you would see I only said that the artstyle hides those flaws, which it does.
We already know the ins and outs of the ps3. There's not much left to squeeze out of it unless you still believe in the hypotheticals of CELL.

Nintendo doesn't make games like TLoU because they don't play to that market. Hardware has nothing to do with it

I played TLoU on the PS5 and I honestly found it quite ugly. IMO many Switch games look better than it. It's Horizon fidelity that hasn't been reached and I'm curious if it'll be reached on the next Switch.

Even Horizon's artstyle looks like dog poop to me compared to TOTK and the gameplay systems are shallow af in comparison. I'm just not seeing that alleged massive power advantage the PS5 has in real world terms. Diminishing returns are a very real thing and this may be an unpopular opinion but it's also why I'm not that pressed for a new Switch.

Tell me something I don't know
It's not just realistic games, look at Ratchet and Clank:

I'd say Mario Galaxy in HD looks better than that technically.
Needless to say about Mario Odyssey, which in my opinion leaves him quite ridiculous.

Even Horizon's artstyle looks like dog poop to me compared to TOTK and the gameplay systems are shallow af in comparison. I'm just not seeing that alleged massive power advantage the PS5 has in real world terms. Diminishing returns are a very real thing and this may be an unpopular opinion but it's also why I'm not that pressed for a new Switch.

Well, 60fps is a big advantage.

I love ToTK but it would have looked and performed a lot better on a PS5, let's be honest. It has framerate issues during ultra hand, low res textures, jaggies, etc.

6 years ago BoTW was impressive, the same exact graphics now? Not so much.

Nintendo on a PS4 level Switch is going to be amazing tho.

Well, 60fps is a big advantage.

I love ToTK but it would have looked and performed a lot better on a PS5, let's be honest. It has framerate issues during ultra hand, low res textures, jaggies, etc.

6 years ago BoTW was impressive, the same exact graphics now? Not so much.

Nintendo on a PS4 level Switch is going to be amazing tho.
Sure it will look better on more powerful hardware but how significant of a visual difference would it be to me and how much impact will it have on my overall experience? It's next to nothing for me and I find playing TOTK on OLED is jaw dropping regardless. Of course, I grew up playing Perfect Dark at 12 fps so maybe I'm easy to please. Then again I barely turn my PS5 on because I don't find the graphics to compensate for the fact that I don't like most of the games enough to justify playing a console tethered to a television. If PS5 had games as good as TOTK I may reconsider.

I don't think they're related. ABK not having kits doesn't surprise me when you look at their Switch support

Yeah, at least they're prolly not in the first tier of third parties to get devkits.

Those initially likely go to devs/pubs like Capcom, SQEX, SEGA and so on.

My big takeaway here is that Activision does not have dev kits, so I’m thinking holidays 2024 is the earliest we see a Switch 2.
Holiday 2024 as EARLIEST? The Switch is in its SEVENTH year in the market. Successors usually come out during the sixth year. The Switch would already be EIGHT years old in Holiday 2024. Eight almost NINE. Nintendo would get GRILLED during their 2024 Investors and Shareholders meetings if they don’t already start talking about the transition.

If anything, Holiday 2024 is the LATEST they should release a successor. I can’t see the OLED carrying those Switch sales for an additional 18 months

I don't think they're related. ABK not having kits doesn't surprise me when you look at their Switch support
ABK literally had one of three third party launch day titles of Switch. They will be or were one of the first ones to get the successor devkits.

Most people don't realize this, but ABK Switch support has been better than any other western publisher. CoD skipped the system but anything else other than that have hit Switch. Most of their titles were even on the number one spot on eShop top sellers list.

Holiday 2024 as EARLIEST? The Switch is in its SEVENTH year in the market. Successors usually come out during the sixth year. The Switch would already be EIGHT years old in Holiday 2024. Eight almost NINE. Nintendo would get GRILLED during their 2024 Investors and Shareholders meetings if they don’t already start talking about the transition.

If anything, Holiday 2024 is the LATEST they should release a successor. I can’t see the OLED carrying those Switch sales for an additional 18 months
I agree with everything your saying but November 24 is just less that a year and a half away, that’s not a lot of time to make or even just port a video game.

Nintendo said the Switch life cycle would be ten years, so if anything, holiday 2024 would be early.

2025 I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom