• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Switch NG (Next Generation) to be closer to PS4/XB1 specs via ABK FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_marmolade

Quality Assurance Tester in Video Game Industry
Pronouns
He/Him
An Email between Activision's CCO Armin and the head of Nintendo confirms Switch NG.

Edit: I added assume in the title, however, while I was listing I don't think the word assume was used.

Last edited:
And here I thought Nintendo would never release another system again. \s

Good to see confirmation that they are discussing next gen Nintendo hardware, I'm sure the HW thread is ahead of this though haha.

Last edited:
This doesn't read like Switch NG is on the same power level of ps4. Just they can make games for it. Also thanks for clarifying NG means Next gen, lol.

I mean, of course the next Switch will have specs closer to PS4/XBO than current Switch. That's just a logical assumption to make.

Kotick also mentioned today that they don't have the specs for the next Switch yet, so it might be more of a general sense of power than a specific target

That reads a lot like an assumption on Microsoft's part rather than anything concrete. They probably know as much about Nintendo's next console as we do.

This reads more along the lines of "Current gen machines are pretty close to each other, I'm sure we have time/resources for whatever weird thing Nintendo is cooking up"

This feels like them making assumptions, yeah.

"Current Switch is closer in raw power to PS3 than 4, thus next Nintendo hardware will probably be closer to PS4 than 5".

That sort of thing.

I will wait for Nintendo to announce it. I only trust Nintendo out of all publishers and platform holders. They are like my friend.
"And you are my friend too, loyal consumer! And remember, Pikmin™ 4 launches exclusively on Nintendo Switch™ July 21st, but a demo is available on the Nintendo Switch™ eShop starting today! It can be enjoyed even if you have never played a game in the Pikmin™ series before! Plus, the Pikmin™ 1+2 bundle, featuring HD versions of the original Nintendo Gamecube™ titles, is now available digitally on the Nintendo Switch™ eShop, with physical copies available in-store starting September 22nd! Let's explore the world of Pikmin™ together, friend!"

Benji's tweet is causing a bit of misinformation to spread lmao. That's what happens when you relay your interpretation of what was said rather than quote what was said lol.

Not quite sure what you're meaning here. The reasonable to assume part seems to be in reference to whether they can deliver games to the next gen platform.
It's a nothing quote. He said they don't know the specs. Of course it's reasonable to assume it'll be at least PS4/XBO levels; but there is nothing of value from the quote beyond they can port COD over to the platform as long as it's around PS4/XBO levels.

"Q Even without microsoft buying activision, its likely that ATVI would make COD available on future Nintendo hardware?

I think it's possible, wed consider the specs.

Q repeat question

Like I said, once we have the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation on Switch, I would like to think we'd be able to do that, but we'd have to wait for specs. We dont have any present plans to do so."

It's a nothing quote. He said they don't know the specs. Of course it's reasonable to assume it'll be at least PS4/XBO levels; but there is nothing of value from the quote beyond they can port COD over to the platform as long as it's around PS4/XBO levels.

"Q Even without microsoft buying activision, its likely that ATVI would make COD available on future Nintendo hardware?

I think it's possible, wed consider the specs.

Q repeat question

Like I said, once we have the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation on Switch, I would like to think we'd be able to do that, but we'd have to wait for specs. We dont have any present plans to do so."
I feel like while the specific quote doesn't shed too much, in context it could be more telling. This is just one small part of a heavily redacted exchange between Kotick and Furukawa himself. Still just speculating, but it could also be reasonable to assume something in their exchange lead to that comparison between Switch NG and Gen 8 consoles

Reasonable to assume, not an actual leak, okay fine

a PS4-level Nintendo console would be all I'd ever need forever.

I imagine raw specs will be closer to PS4, but elements and features from PS5 and series will be incorporated as well. Much like the Current Switch has elements of PS4 tech even if it's not as powerful.

I can't wait until the New Super Nintendo Switch [Redacted] NG Pro 2 System, part of the Nintendo Switch family of systems, is revealed alongside the Metroid Prime 4 game for the New Super Nintendo Switch [Redacted] NG Pro 2 System.

Is this not the most likely scenario?

Seems like a lot of skepticism in this thread about what is the most likely outcome. Are people expecting the next Switch to be an enormous leap? That doesn't seem likely.

Nintendo loves making 3rd parties suffer.
On the contrary. This most likely will be a little bit more powerful than PS4 level, somewhere close to the Steam Deck level. But the important thing is the ease of porting regardless of specs, making "miracle porting" more effortless and less costly. That's where DLSS comes in, will free up more processing power for devs to bring more demanding titles. I expect miracle games won't be "miracles" anymore and we will be seeing more of them.

Is this not the most likely scenario?

Seems like a lot of skepticism in this thread about what is the most likely outcome. Are people expecting the next Switch to be an enormous leap? That doesn't seem likely.
That would be a huge leap, which is why there is a strong contingent of folks who don't believe it out of pessimism.

It seems like literally everyone is misunderstanding this damn tweet, which might not even be an accurate representation of the damn email. To summarize

FTC has an email between Armin Zerza, then Chief Commercial Officer of ActiBlizz and "The Head of Nintendo". That is probably Doug Bowser in context.

This email happened over 2 years ago, as Zerza was promoted to CFO in April of 2021.

That email contained referenced an executive summary of "Switch NG".

Zerza responds that, considering how close the PS4/Xbone versions of Call of Duty are to their Series S|X/PS5 versions, and based on the executive summary, it should be possible to deliver a good version of CoD.

Kotick has said in court that today, two+ years later, they are still unfamiliar with the detailed specs.

There have been reports of a cancelled device in that timeframe, so it's not even clear if the very vague high level "executive summary" is actually applicable to any hardware that is actually coming out.

These are all interesting details but on their own they don't mean anything except "one time, a C-suite exec talked to another C-suite exec"

Kotick, Shmotick. I will wait for a real leak to confirm specs for the new Nintendo console.

Do people in this thread really believe Bobby Kotick doesn’t know anything about the next Switch? What’s with the denial lmao
Considering the colossal miscalculations he made on the Switch, one would be more inclined to believe he’s speaking out of his backside. But that isn’t a mere feeling - We do actually have information from the horse’s mouth (Nvidia) in the sticky thread on hardware speculation, and it’s more complicated than that. Perhaps try reading the threadmarks and getting better-versed on the topic, instead of claiming “denial” - If you could do that much, perhaps you might endear yourself to more people here.

Do people in this thread really believe Bobby Kotick doesn’t know anything about the next Switch? What’s with the denial lmao
He said under oath he doesn't know detailed specifications, and that Activision would make their decisions based on those specs. Even if somehow it was in Kotick's interest to lie, it seems unlikely that the FTC wouldn't have picked it up in discovery. Not just because there would be documents on the Activision side, but because the FTC and other regulatory agencies went to Nintendo, and Nintendo has no reason to lie about who they shipped devkits or specs to, and lots of reasons not to. They're not covering for Kotick

Kotick is a monster, but I doubt he's lying about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom