• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Switch NG (Next Generation) to be closer to PS4/XB1 specs via ABK FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo said the Switch life cycle would be ten years, so if anything, holiday 2024 would be early.

2025 I reckon.

I would be a big improvement if everyone would understand that this statement doesn't mean that Nintendo only has Switch for that time.

A console and it's successor co-exist on the market for ~2 year in most cases.

Meaning, even when ReDrakted has launched, the Switch will still exist and even get new games.

I would be a big improvement if everyone would understand that this statement doesn't mean that Nintendo only has Switch for that time.

Meaning, even when ReDrakted has launched, the Switch will still exist and even get new games.

Yes, which is why I picked 2025...........................................................................................................................

Or it was just PR talk to project a strong image for a company that was in a dire situation bsck then

I think that is a pretty fair assumption based on handheld history.

Just stepping through the ones I've owned.

PSP - launched in PS2 gen, offered PS1+ performance.
PSvita - launched in PS3 gen, offered PS2+ performance.
Switch - launched in PS4 gen, offers PS3+ performance.
Switch 2 - launching in PS5 gen (?)... sooooo.

I think the handhelds are in a great position to take advantage of other factors being this sort of straddling platform. PS4 gen was blighted by a bad CPU and traditional HDD load speeds, the Switch 2 doesn't necessarily need to be hampered by this. Plus, at the upper end of fidelity, AI will be a great bridging technology.

If the next machine was a PS4+ (and I'd be happy for upscaled 4k 30fps in demanding games), then that would be a blinder to me. PS4 gen was all about bringing stability to image quality for me. None of the concessions of the PS3 gen had to really happen, and those sorts of concessions are what we see on Switch right now.

Nintendo said the Switch life cycle would be ten years, so if anything, holiday 2024 would be early.

2025 I reckon.
If waiting until 2025 to release the successor will enable them to price the successor between $299 and $350 I can def the see the rationale between taking their time. Losing momentum is bad but releasing a console only moderately cheaper than PS5/XBOX that's won't have much games in its first years seeing as third parties don't have dev kits yet is pretty bad too. I'm not convinced Nintendo can launch a $400 Switch 2 with a 3D Mario and call it a day, those titles have never been huge system sellers except for Odyssey and SMO's sales (and general interest) were very front-loaded compared to BOTW. 2024 is the year GTA VI could release too, no less.

I think that is a pretty fair assumption based on handheld history.

Just stepping through the ones I've owned.

PSP - launched in PS2 gen, offered PS1+ performance.
PSvita - launched in PS3 gen, offered PS2+ performance.
Switch - launched in PS4 gen, offers PS3+ performance.
Switch 2 - launching in PS5 gen (?)... sooooo.

I think the handhelds are in a great position to take advantage of other factors being this sort of straddling platform. PS4 gen was blighted by a bad CPU and traditional HDD load speeds, the Switch 2 doesn't necessarily need to be hampered by this. Plus, at the upper end of fidelity, AI will be a great bridging technology.

If the next machine was a PS4+ (and I'd be happy for upscaled 4k 30fps in demanding games), then that would be a blinder to me. PS4 gen was all about bringing stability to image quality for me. None of the concessions of the PS3 gen had to really happen, and those sorts of concessions are what we see on Switch right now.
The psp was def much closer to a ps2 visually than a ps1 lol

ABK literally had one of three third party launch day titles of Switch. They will be or were one of the first ones to get the successor devkits.

Most people don't realize this, but ABK Switch support has been better than any other western publisher. CoD skipped the system but anything else other than that have hit Switch. Most of their titles were even on the number one spot on eShop top sellers list.
they've been in no rush to bring a number of "no brainers" to switch. with on launching in the last week that skipped it. if ABK doesn't have a dev kit, they're probably still in the "nintendo will come later" mode

they've been in no rush to bring a number of "no brainers" to switch. with on launching in the last week that skipped it. if ABK doesn't have a dev kit, they're probably still in the "nintendo will come later" mode
Everyone's in the "Switch port later" attitude, at least for Activision, there are too few releases that skip it. CoD being the only one. Ubi, EA, 2K and WB they all made some questionable decisions regarding Switch ports of their games.

Everyone's in the "Switch port later" attitude, at least for Activision, there are too few releases that skip it. CoD being the only one. Ubi, EA, 2K and WB they all made some questionable decisions regarding Switch ports of their games.
Ubisoft would be sooner to promise support through ports, and are an IP partner with the Mario and Rabbids series. not to mention the new Prince of Persia is switch first

EA, lol

Take 2 has been a better supporter with more games day one like the Lego stuff, sports stuff, and some Private Division games hitting the Switch day one (one was just revealed at the direct)

WB has Mortal Kombat 1 coming day one, as they did with previous Netherrealm games. Pigfarts has been delayed, but was announced day one and the WB head talked big game about it being important

I still don't understand (because I think that's what will happen) why Ubisoft won't launch the next Assasins Creed on the same launch day as on PS5 and Xbox Series, for Next Switch, I even think they won't even launch AC later.
I think the same about games like GTA VI, and even other important titles from Japanese third parties, that even in the event that they do not have temporary exclusivity with another platform, I think that they will arrive later, or even not arrive at Next Switch (next Persona, Yakuza , Final Fantasy, MH "World 2", Next Resident Evil, DmC "6"...)
I am convinced that all these great titles will not arrive at launch on Next Switch, but I go further and I even dare to say that they will not arrive even later, even if Next Switch could have a performance that allows a decent or quality port.

I find it incredible how convinced I am of this despite having no information.
Why will companies continue to treat Nintendo this way even if it has a console that could receive ports day 1 (or months later) in a decent way?
Why will companies treat Nintendo like this (which I'm sure of)?
What do you think.

I still don't understand (because I think that's what will happen) why Ubisoft won't launch the next Assasins Creed on the same launch day as on PS5 and Xbox Series, for Next Switch, I even think they won't even launch AC later.
I think the same about games like GTA VI, and even other important titles from Japanese third parties, that even in the event that they do not have temporary exclusivity with another platform, I think that they will arrive later, or even not arrive at Next Switch (next Persona, Yakuza , Final Fantasy, MH "World 2", Next Resident Evil, DmC "6"...)
I am convinced that all these great titles will not arrive at launch on Next Switch, but I go further and I even dare to say that they will not arrive even later, even if Next Switch could have a performance that allows a decent or quality port.

I find it incredible how convinced I am of this despite having no information.
Why will companies continue to treat Nintendo this way even if it has a console that could receive ports day 1 (or months later) in a decent way?
Why will companies treat Nintendo like this (which I'm sure of)?
What do you think.
Ubisoft, I'm not too certain. I feel like their problem is that they don't want to do bespoke work and, instead, simply dial down what they have. with the Switch's CPU what it is, they can't really do that. so for Drake, things might change

for JP developers, it's more of a mystery. Capcom was willing to front the money who a dedicated Switch Monster Hunter that paid dividends. Monster Hunter World 2 on Drake might not be off the table. but the other games, honestly can't answer beyond ports of old games. SE is a good supporter when the game isn't funded by someone else. but Sega/Atlus and Bamco are just weird. I can't imagine what's going on with them

Is this not the most likely scenario?

Seems like a lot of skepticism in this thread about what is the most likely outcome. Are people expecting the next Switch to be an enormous leap? That doesn't seem likely.
not me, i always expect the Switch sucessor to have the techinal/graphical perfomance of a PS4 with also having a more modern archtiture, given the console is using a very modern SOC

not me, i always expect the Switch sucessor to have the techinal/graphical perfomance of a PS4 with also having a more modern archtiture, given the console is using a very modern SOC

PS4 power with DLSS sounds fantastic actually. That puts it above steam deck in power iirc.

The psp was def much closer to a ps2 visually than a ps1 lol

I felt it was somewhere in between. Stuff like Syphon Filter & Crisis Core looked really cool, but the platform was at its best when it scaled things down a bit - stuff like Killzone Liberation ditching 1st person entirely, or Jeanne D'Arc being a pretty traditional sRPG, Locoroco. I remember Vice City Stories was creaking at the seams and did not feel like it scaled down to the PSP.

Not quite PS2, but better than PS1. I say "+" to mean in the middle.

I felt it was somewhere in between. Stuff like Syphon Filter & Crisis Core looked really cool, but the platform was at its best when it scaled things down a bit - stuff like Killzone Liberation ditching 1st person entirely, or Jeanne D'Arc being a pretty traditional sRPG, Locoroco. I remember Vice City Stories was creaking at the seams and did not feel like it scaled down to the PSP.

Not quite PS2, but better than PS1. I say "+" to mean in the middle.
PSP's arch was actually based on PS1 and CPU wise it was code backwards compatible. In some ways it was almost like a handheld "PS1 Pro".

PSP's arch was actually based on PS1 and CPU wise it was code backwards compatible. In some ways it was almost like a handheld "PS1 Pro".

I remember the old days of Dark Alex CFW. I went through making my own custom eboots of my FF games. Nobody could get FFVIII to work without crashing and... well, I have no idea how I did it by faffing around in the config, but I did it!

Eventually I got fed up of updating CFW and PS1 games became available on the store, so I just bought them and went official instead!

Ubisoft, I'm not too certain. I feel like their problem is that they don't want to do bespoke work and, instead, simply dial down what they have. with the Switch's CPU what it is, they can't really do that. so for Drake, things might change

for JP developers, it's more of a mystery. Capcom was willing to front the money who a dedicated Switch Monster Hunter that paid dividends. Monster Hunter World 2 on Drake might not be off the table. but the other games, honestly can't answer beyond ports of old games. SE is a good supporter when the game isn't funded by someone else. but Sega/Atlus and Bamco are just weird. I can't imagine what's going on with them

But I think that Capcom could release Resident Evil "9", DmC "6", and the following installments of their main games on "Next Gen Switch/Nintendo".
As well as Bandai Namco, Sega, Square Enix, Rockstar...
So I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't release their next major installments of their games on the Nintendo NextGen Hardware.
Coincidentally, it is always the same franchises with their main installments that do not appear on Nintendo, since Square Enix carries Dragon Quest, but for example, I am not at all sure that it did the same with Final Fantasy even if it did not have an exclusivity agreement with other companies. The same for Capcom, they carry games, but sagas like Resident Evil, DmC... I wouldn't bet on them being carried. In the case of Sega, more of the same, in the case of Rockstar or Take2, they bring games but I wouldn't bet on a future main installment of GTA either.
Coincidentally, it is always the same important franchises that will surely not arrive despite the fact that Next Gen Switch could give a good performance of those games.
Those main franchises coincidentally are most, if not all, important in the early 2000s, when Sony took over many of them, I don't want to think wrong, but it can't be a coincidence that it happens with each and every one of them in its main installments (GTA, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and many others), is strange to say the least.

But I think that Capcom could release Resident Evil "9", DmC "6", and the following installments of their main games on "Next Gen Switch/Nintendo".
As well as Bandai Namco, Sega, Square Enix, Rockstar...
So I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't release their next major installments of their games on the Nintendo NextGen Hardware.
Coincidentally, it is always the same franchises with their main installments that do not appear on Nintendo, since Square Enix carries Dragon Quest, but for example, I am not at all sure that it did the same with Final Fantasy even if it did not have an exclusivity agreement with other companies. The same for Capcom, they carry games, but sagas like Resident Evil, DmC... I wouldn't bet on them being carried. In the case of Sega, more of the same, in the case of Rockstar or Take2, they bring games but I wouldn't bet on a future main installment of GTA either.
Coincidentally, it is always the same important franchises that will surely not arrive despite the fact that Next Gen Switch could give a good performance of those games.
Those main franchises coincidentally are most, if not all, important in the early 2000s, when Sony took over many of them, I don't want to think wrong, but it can't be a coincidence that it happens with each and every one of them in its main installments (GTA, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and many others), is strange to say the least.
For what is worth, we have a justification for why certain Capcom titles didn't come to Switch. Apparently, the version of the RE Engine used in a lot of Capcom's games doesn't perform well on Switch. According to some rumors, Capcom actually tried to port Resident Evil 7 to the console before giving up because it just wasn't working.

Hopefully the increased power of the next Switch will be enough to bypass those problems and get some late ports. And regarding future installments in those franchises, now that they know what they know and they took the time to develop a Switch-friendly version of RE Engine, if those games skip the system's successor... yeah, that will 100% be on them. But let's wait and see.

This notion that Switch is on par or even below PS3 graphics needs to die already, it's just misinformation.

I suspect a reason it keeps coming up is because people are comparing their memories of how impressive PS3 games looked back when it was current gen, to how Switch games look now. If you actually go back and revisit the PS3 now, it has aged considerably. Switch clearly looks better, as well it should since we know for a fact the hardware is superior.

Last edited:
Please don’t drag arguments from thread to thread in order to snark about other members outside of that argument’s original occurrence - PixelKnight, Xghost777, Barely Able
This notion that Switch is on par or even below PS3 graphics needs to die already, it's just misinformation.

I suspect a reason it keeps coming up is because people are comparing their memories of how impressive PS3 games looked back when it was current gen, to how Switch games look now. If you actually go back and revisit the PS3 now, Switch definitely looks better, as well it should since we know for a fact tha hardware is superior.
Co-sign and THANK YOU for saying this. I would say it’s embarrassing, but I was accused of being “impolite for using that word and disrespecting opinions, maaan…”, although I take nothing back because I was on point, especially in the face of what is known. It’s also the same when people say “looks like a PS2 game”, then they’ll pull some cinematic shot. It isn’t slick. It’s either trolling, misty-eyed memories of what they actually were, a very primitive understanding of what “graphics” are (true for 90-something percent of the gaming community), or ignorance speaking. Perhaps a cocktail of all four, but for sure, it needs to be killed with fire once and for all.

Last edited:
to the point of getting salty about the polygon count though?

If you're referring to me, I dont think I'm "salty" about anything. I love my switch and dont really care about graphical fidelity. If I did I wouldnt be on this board. The reasons I care about relative power of Nintendo's product are on the one hand the ease of third party ports (because I remember the dreamteam and the months without games and my wii U library consisting of just Nintendo published games ), and that I would like to see what Nintendo can do with more power. I have an Xbox and a PS5, if something is not up to snuff I can just buy it on those systems. But I think that for people that only own a switch, it would be great if third party ports are more regular.

Cross-posting my post from the hardware speculation thread. Frogs need not respond, especially ones who don’t care to read the threadmarks. I understand that that thread can be overwhelming because it’s by far the most active one on here, BUT it doesn’t mean one can’t share from it. It isn’t fully understood what we’re actually talking about when we talk about “PS4-tier”. It really is unimpressive in 2024, even for a portable, and unfit for a generational purpose. I’ve been banging this drum for quite a while, but it was a thoughtful and passionate response.

URGH. The reason why it’s frustrating when the XB1/PS4 and their Pro/X variants are touted as something “impressive for Nintendo” for a console releasing in 2024 and beyond is because of the general tendency to overshoot PS/XBox hardware while lowballing Nintendo hardware and grossly overstating the differences between them - It’s not impressive at all, and I’ve been saying for ages that it would be wholly unfit for a generational purpose and susceptible to a Wii U fate. That is to say they’re correct at Reddit, but for the wrong reasons. I feel that this isn’t fully understood over here, too, and the narrative about being a generation behind is also false and easy to dispel.

So, Why do I say PS4-tier is unimpressive? When we talk about the XB1/PS4, we are actually talking about decade-old systems with even older parts, No RT, No DLSS, very old architecture, a poor CPU which bottlenecks its GPU, which won’t keep up once the cross-gen period has expired, worse lithography processes, and all of these are true for their Pro/X variants. So, they’re also unimpressive for a console releasing in 2024 and beyond, portable or not. Drake has more going for it than all of these, so, that’s the starting point. It has to be better than the Steam Deck when portable (it will), and close to, greater than, or equal to the XSS when docked (It will).

It also underestimates how much mobile tech has advanced - Mobile CPUs have had XB1(X)/PS4 Pro CPUs beaten for years. We saw Apple’s M1 chip load 4K files faster than a high-end i9 desktop in 2020. Samsung/AMD brought the first ray-tracing mobile GPU to the S22 line of phones in 2022. Neural units have existed in phones, while Nvidia has it for DLSS. We have a bunch of numbers from the leaks. But people still talk about 2013 systems, ignorant of the fact that the current Switch has many games from their libraries already, and ignorant of the fact that Nintendo has games which hold their own, in some cases do more than revered titles on those systems, as if they would be “impressive”, as if they’re still to catch up with that. There is also the history lesson of the Wii U and 3DS. After SM64DS, The 3DS coasted on “more N64 ports” 7 years later, and barely managed half the sales of its predecessor, while with the Wii U, saying “it’s enough to be HD” didn’t work for them - While it was the most powerful system on the market when it launched, and considerably more so than the PS360 consoles, the endeavour wasn’t there for most developers. The games it did have were largely unoptimised, but there were very few - they didn’t even get all of the cross-gen or PS360 ports!! Moral of both stories? They have to aim higher, or get left behind again. I’m sure some of you lived through the Wii U era, and it was painful to see every announcement skip it. Also, with the 3DS, it meant Nintendo could no longer afford to run its portable line several generations behind its home line - It was beaten by the iPhone 4, iPad and 4th Gen iPod Touch on release, as well as a series of Android phones. That is to say, they were providing a dated portable gaming experience. That’s why they went with industry-leading chips on the Switch. Anything less than the definitive portable gaming experience will make them susceptible to failure. It can’t settle for “more XB1/PS4 ports”, not that there are any more of note, which can move the needle in meaningful ways. It has to be able to receive PS5/XS ports.

So, saying “PS4-tier is impressive for Nintendo in 2024 and beyond” is a failure to learn from this. It’s astonishing that the more “enthusiast” circles haven’t grasped this yet, but thankfully, Nintendo and Nvidia understand these points.

I suspect a reason it keeps coming up is because people are comparing their memories of how impressive PS3 games looked back when it was current gen, to how Switch games look now. If you actually go back and revisit the PS3 now, it has aged considerably. Switch clearly looks better, as well it should since we know for a fact the hardware is superior.
If anything, Switch is a fully portable Wii U+, but also easier to develop for. And Wii U itself was already basically a PS3 with a less-bespoke CPU/GPU that was a little easier to squeeze a bit more out of. So yeah, "on par or less" is a weird take.

I assume Steamdeck's performance is quite close to PS4/XB1's and its HW has some serious low battery duration issues. I do think optimization and new chipset structure are things that will increase performance, along DLSS and maybe built-in SSD to have next-gen loading times, but I don't think we are going to see a huge leap in performance on the SwitchU

I think the hilarious thing is none of this will mean squat when it comes to the reason we will all be there..... The Nintendo games.

Third party, well, that remains to be seen. But let's be honest, it hasn't exactly effected Switch to an amazing degree.....

I assume Steamdeck's performance is quite close to PS4/XB1's and its HW has some serious low battery duration issues. I do think optimization and new chipset structure are things that will increase performance, along DLSS and maybe built-in SSD to have next-gen loading times, but I don't think we are going to see a huge leap in performance on the SwitchU
Steam Deck isn't. in practical games (God of War), it's about half since it has to render at 720p to match PS4 at 15W. Asus ROG Ally hits PS4 performance in its 30W mode

Yes. Exactly this. People pick Tomb Raider and The Last of Us like all of the PS360 games looked like that. And even those games imho were surpassed by stuff like TotK, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Metroid Prime 4. Those games don't aim to look photorealistic but perform better, use more advanced lighting and particles effects, which were basically what people used as the step up from PS3 to PS4, and somehow everyone downplays when a Nintendo game does the exact same thing. Or something even greater, since I'm sure as hell something like TotK wouldn't work on a PS3. I mean just look at how late gen open world games looked and ran on those consoles lol.

Yes. Exactly this. People pick Tomb Raider and The Last of Us like all of the PS360 games looked like that. And even those games imho were surpassed by stuff like TotK, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Metroid Prime 4. Those games don't aim to look photorealistic but perform better, use more advanced lighting and particles effects, which were basically what people used as the step up from PS3 to PS4, and somehow everyone downplays when a Nintendo game does the exact same thing. Or something even greater, since I'm sure as hell something like TotK wouldn't work on a PS3. I mean just look at how late gen open world games looked and ran on those consoles lol.
For sure. It’s equally true for Bayonetta 2 VS that version of Bayonetta 1 or GoW: Ascension, or LBP Karting VS Mario Kart 8 - LBP Karting released around 2012, six years after the PS3 launched, but still managed 30FPS, so, it’s reasonable to say that game pushed the PS3 to its limits; it’s nowhere near as busy as Mario Kart 8, which has antigravity, more racers and items on course, defying physics AND maintaining a sense of speed, all with 60FPS performance. Or Yoshi’s Woolly World VS LBP3, Or XCX VS early 2010s Rockstar Games, and other faves… Lots of examples. I would pull a post from the Old Old Place, if I could find it.

As mentioned, photorealism is an art style. It doesn’t constitute “good or impressive graphics”, and as seen with the BOTW/Horizon comparison I posted, the illusions are shattered once you realise how little environmental interaction you can have, if any, or when the promise of an open world is broken because invisible walls lead you down linear paths. Put another way, it isn’t about the size of your teraflops, it’s what one does with it that counts… ☕😏

If I may also say so, I feel that a very different perspective is needed on this. Because when there’s a graphics discussion, I note that people trade the word “graphics” for “art style” - Mostly because they can’t bring themselves to say “this Nintendo game has great graphics”, or because they’re afraid of being laughed out of the room by people who have a very primitive understanding of what “good graphics” are. At least, that has been true since the Wii era, if not since Link was unveiled in a cel-shaded form. If I want to talk about “art style”, I would say those words, but I’ve long been of the belief that Nintendo produces the best graphics in multiple genres. But graphics isn’t “the pursuit of photorealism”, no matter how much some gaming fans and even some developers want it to be. I think about game design philosophy, where things are placed, why they are there/what purpose they serve, where my attention is held, use of space, how the difficulty curve is built, the satisfaction from executing a skill, and if the whole gameplay package presented looks “fun” to play. So, 2D games can have better graphics than 3D ones, and games on older hardware can have better graphics than those on the latest hardware. Personally, I believe what I saw of SMBWonder was better graphically than Spider-Man 2 - That is neither wild nor provocative, it was just my impression. When, and only when we reject wholeheartedly the idea that “realistic” or “checked boxes on a list of special effects” equals “good graphics”, can we begin to push the boundaries of this discussion, what it means, what they’re comprised of, and what is possible. 💕✨

Yeah I suspect even when Switch 2 comes out there's still going to be hot takes like "still doesn't look as good as TLOU/God of War 3/Insert PS3 game here" simply because Nintendo doesn't pursue realism they way those games do, plus rose tinted memories.

Here's how TLOU actually looks on PS3.

aa_000.png

It's an impressive showpiece for it's time and hardware, but hardly in a class beyond Switch.

Co-sign and THANK YOU for saying this. I would say it’s embarrassing, but I was accused of being “impolite for using that word and disrespecting opinions, maaan…”, although I take nothing back because I was on point, especially in the face of what is known.
Since this is apparently about me, I didn't "accuse" you of anything. I just told you (in good faith, I might add) that literally starting your argument disrespecting others' opinions makes for a lousy first impression. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about being civil.

Incidentally, if you didn't like my comment or thought I was out of line, you could have told me, instead of complaining about it a week later to an unrelated user in an unrelated thread. @curl-6 must have spend the first lines of your comment wondering what on earth you were on about.

Last edited:
Since this is apparently about me, I didn't "accuse" you of anything. I just told you (in good faith, I might add) that literally starting your argument disrespecting others' opinions makes for a lousy first impression. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about being civil.

Incidentally, if you didn't like my comment or thought I was out of line, you could have told me, instead of complaining about it a week later to an unrelated user in an unrelated thread. @curl-6 must have spend the first lines of your comment wondering what on earth you were on about.
Relatable topics, so, I said what I said. I couldn’t even remember names, as I had lots of notifications since AND I had seen so many people on here and mostly elsewhere posting the same thing, or words to that effect, but I didn’t mention anybody by name for a reason. I called the opinion embarrassing in the face of what is known because it patently was. Now, just because I found it embarrassing, it doesn’t mean I don’t respect the right of others to a point of view at all. I’m still allowed to call said point of view BS and state my reasons without playing the person. Oh, and if an opinion is ignorant of the facts, it doesn’t have to be respected or afforded “civility” - that leads to the normalisation of misinformation, and in far more serious areas than video games, that can have terrible consequences.

When the same patterns follow every announcement AND ignore that we are typically showed a WIP, not a finished product, that isn’t giving developers a chance. So, the idea that I, or anybody has to respect it is rich. Actually, I thought “embarrassing” was one of the more polite ways I could’ve expressed it.

But in each case, I played the ball (the opinion, which I was critical of because I don’t respect it, again, in the face of what is known), and not the person (If I had an issue with the person, I would address them directly… But I wasn’t in the business of antagonising anybody, only responding thoughtfully and passionately to a topic). I didn’t mention anybody by name because it would’ve been unfair to single out one person - I had seen the assertion in various places online that “Switch is a toaster, it couldn’t possibly run this game” with every single announcement. That’s tiresome. We already have a bunch of games on this scale or greater, and they’re running competently - So, once more, it’s wild that these people still show an unbridled confidence in their mediocre contributions to the topic. But I guess cheap clout, clickbait, faves and retweets must prevail at all costs.

For the main part, as Switch owners, we already know, or have an idea of what we’re getting, and we’re happy to make the trade-offs for the ability to play anywhere. So, the faux concerns, the “can it even run?”, the “we need a “Pro” or new hardware”, the “it looks too good to be running on the Switch”, the “Switch will melt and explode!!” “discourse” deserves to die once and for all. Developers aren’t cancelling these games, no matter how much some would sooner see them do that, and they’re not going anywhere, especially once they’ve got to a Direct. If, when the final product is in our hands, it turns out to be a badly done job, then as customers, we’ll be the first to say so, BUT a badly done job is exactly that. It isn’t indicative of the hardware, and it doesn’t need to be followed with the same calls on repeat until a successor comes - and let’s not pretend that the goalposts won’t shift when it’s here.

So, in the name of better discourses, and encouraging developers to persevere with and build on 3rdP endeavours on the Switch, I’ll take calling those opinions embarrassing, in the face of what is known. Even in the event that they have a failed product, I’ll keep saying what I said because developers and publishers need to know most fans are still on board, that they needn’t be discouraged, and while one project might have failed this time, next time, everything is possible. Have a nice afternoon. I’ll leave it here. 💕✨

Yeah I suspect even when Switch 2 comes out there's still going to be hot takes like "still doesn't look as good as TLOU/God of War 3/Insert PS3 game here" simply because Nintendo doesn't pursue realism they way those games do, plus rose tinted memories.

It's an impressive showpiece for it's time and hardware, but hardly in a class beyond Switch.
look like a PS2 game smh /s

Relatable topics, so, I said what I said. I couldn’t even remember names, as I had lots of notifications since AND I had seen so many people on here and mostly elsewhere posting the same thing, or words to that effect, but I didn’t mention anybody by name for a reason. I called the opinion embarrassing in the face of what is known because it patently was. Now, just because I found it embarrassing, it doesn’t mean I don’t respect the right of others to a point of view at all. I’m still allowed to call said point of view BS and state my reasons without playing the person. Oh, and if an opinion is ignorant of the facts, it doesn’t have to be respected or afforded “civility” - that leads to the normalisation of misinformation, and in far more serious areas than video games, that can have terrible consequences.

When the same patterns follow every announcement AND ignore that we are typically showed a WIP, not a finished product, that isn’t giving developers a chance. So, the idea that I, or anybody has to respect it is rich. Actually, I thought “embarrassing” was one of the more polite ways I could’ve expressed it.

But in each case, I played the ball (the opinion, which I was critical of because I don’t respect it, again, in the face of what is known), and not the person (If I had an issue with the person, I would address them directly… But I wasn’t in the business of antagonising anybody, only responding thoughtfully and passionately to a topic). I didn’t mention anybody by name because it would’ve been unfair to single out one person - I had seen the assertion in various places online that “Switch is a toaster, it couldn’t possibly run this game” with every single announcement. That’s tiresome. We already have a bunch of games on this scale or greater, and they’re running competently - So, once more, it’s wild that these people still show an unbridled confidence in their mediocre contributions to the topic. But I guess cheap clout, clickbait, faves and retweets must prevail at all costs.

For the main part, as Switch owners, we already know, or have an idea of what we’re getting, and we’re happy to make the trade-offs for the ability to play anywhere. So, the faux concerns, the “can it even run?”, the “we need a “Pro” or new hardware”, the “it looks too good to be running on the Switch”, the “Switch will melt and explode!!” “discourse” deserves to die once and for all. Developers aren’t cancelling these games, no matter how much some would sooner see them do that, and they’re not going anywhere, especially once they’ve got to a Direct. If, when the final product is in our hands, it turns out to be a badly done job, then as customers, we’ll be the first to say so, BUT a badly done job is exactly that. It isn’t indicative of the hardware, and it doesn’t need to be followed with the same calls on repeat until a successor comes - and let’s not pretend that the goalposts won’t shift when it’s here.

So, in the name of better discourses, and encouraging developers to persevere with and build on 3rdP endeavours on the Switch, I’ll take calling those opinions embarrassing, in the face of what is known. Even in the event that they have a failed product, I’ll keep saying what I said because developers and publishers need to know most fans are still on board, that they needn’t be discouraged, and while one project might have failed this time, next time, everything is possible. Have a nice afternoon. I’ll leave it here. 💕✨
Fair enough. I agree with many of your points (for instance, I also dislike the prevalent notion that the Switch isn't good enough. For the record, I claimed that Arkham Knight, if done properly, would be a miracle port, not because I don't believe the Switch to be capable enough, but because I remembered an interview with some members at Rocksteady in which they claimed that AK required a ton of optimization for PS4/Xbone, and as we all know, many times devs of Switch ports aren't given enough time to do that) and I disagree with others, but this is neither the time nor the place, so let's leave it at that. Have a good one.

Steam Deck isn't. in practical games (God of War), it's about half since it has to render at 720p to match PS4 at 15W. Asus ROG Ally hits PS4 performance in its 30W mode
how's Asus ROG battery performance in 30W mode?
I haven't read much about it, but people have been telling me Steam Deck's battery life is quite poor (which is a deal breaker to me). I imagine Asus ROG falls somewhere in between.

Ps4 level with dlss to reach docked resolutions of 1080p and above sounds good to me. I still think they may struggle to get some of the big third parties on board as cross gen fades, but no one was expecting anything close to a ps5 or series x from nintendo…though I was expecting something closer to a series s, then i remembered it also needs to be hand held

how's Asus ROG battery performance in 30W mode?
I haven't read much about it, but people have been telling me Steam Deck's battery life is quite poor (which is a deal breaker to me). I imagine Asus ROG falls somewhere in between.
you can't get 30W mode on battery. you're limited to a max of 25W, which is higher than the SD's max. like for like (15W) the batteries are about the same

Ally already more powerful than Deck. A Switch 2 will be eating Ally deliciously with it's deepest API NVN2 & Nintendo secret sauce. It's maybe can match Ally performance while using only half watt consumption

aa_000.png

The Crysis trilogy really shows how much more powerful the Switch is than PS3. Digital Foundry does an excellent video on it. Basically, PS3/X360 struggled with Crysis 3 a lot, and Switch not only runs it perfectly smooth at all times, but does so with a better picture overall.

Wonder if switch 2 will have a wii u problem, where the wii u was announced some people actually thought it was just a new gamepad for the wii and not a completely new console, some people might think it's just a switch 1 with some improved graphics and not nintendos next system and because and it also dosenf help its going to be on par with last gen ps4 in graphics

Ps4 level with dlss to reach docked resolutions of 1080p and above sounds good to me. I still think they may struggle to get some of the big third parties on board as cross gen fades, but no one was expecting anything close to a ps5 or series x from nintendo…though I was expecting something closer to a series s, then i remembered it also needs to be hand held
Before the wii nintendo always did cutting edge graphics, the n64 was the most powerful console at the time, but since the wii they want to do their gimmicks instead of power I guess

I fear this may make even more third party games in the future not come to the Switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom