• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Smash Bros. Series |ST| Colours Weave Into A Spire Of Flame

I haven't taken the time to post about it here, but wow is this a huge deal.

Optimistic to see how this turns out.

Unrelated, but I thought discussion would migrate actively to here, but I guess there's not much to talk about now that Ultimate's DLC is over, isn't it? :\

well, at least we've got the space to do it.

Unrelated, but I thought discussion would migrate actively to here, but I guess there's not much to talk about now that Ultimate's DLC is over, isn't it? :\

well, at least we've got the space to do it.
Most of the old thread stayed in the old thread.

Saying that, it's pretty slow there too. Like barely a page a day.

Interesting move for Nintendo to start endorsing Smash tournaments like that out of nowhere, but if it leads to better organisation and safeguarding, I'm all for it...or maybe they're just flexing their muscles a bit more, I dunno...

It's an odd time for Smash Discussion because we're such a long way away from the next one. Realistically all we can do is discuss what kind of form the series may take when it re-emerges in a few years time. Can't even speculate realistically because who knows which new and exciting characters may or may not be Smash characters at this time

A new Smash is just too abstract of a concept for me right now, especially after Ultimate which very much felt like a "finale" to the last two decades of the series. Doesn't help that almost all of my "never ever" dream characters actually got into Ultimate...

I do not envy whoever is in charge of the next Smash having to follow up Ultimate, particularly with Ultimate ending on a high note with Sora's reveal.

I almost never remember to come over here to check in. But yeah, there's not a lot going on if there's not even going to be new spirits I guess.

Voted for Leif because I played against his spirit last night and he's cute 🥺😍. Also as a Byleth echo because Byleth is just perfect to play?? I loved playing as them.

But I think the biggest robbery in Fire Emblem's Smash history is Azura and Edelgard not being Fates and TH reps tbh. I'll take either as Bytleth's echo.

Also I'mma throw it here:
BOLD PREDICTION TIME™️

I think we'll have some kind of repackage of Super Smash Bros Ultimate by 2023, in the vein of what Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome amiibo was. I think ACNH will receive the same treatment. It'll be something like a GOTY edition, where it features all DLC, and Ultimate will start to get DLC again. Maybe it has new characters at launch that'll be DLC for the vanilla buyers instead of including all DLC because of licensing. Reason for that is that I think Smash and ACNH(and Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart Next that'll release in 2022 and 2023) will be Nintendo's GaaS. Re-releasing ACNH and Smash and get back at supporting both is best case scenario to me. Also that way they ensure a Smash game for Dane's launch window, because let's be honest, even a port will all DLC wouldn't be possible due to license, and Everyone is Here thing left us petty lol I don't know if they can get back to cuts without doing a reboot thing which would make it a ways off anyways so re-release Ultimate and go the Final Fantasy XIV route is the best way.

Speaking of my picks for newcomers:
  • Geno as the fanboy pick hype trailer like Ridley was at E3 2018
  • Ring Fit trainer as the new IP must like Inklings in reveal trailer
  • Impa because Zelda needs another rep and well she's the only other constant not in yet
  • Pauline because she's just perfect as mayor in Odyssey and a singing character that sings to sleep or explodes the enemys with sound and beats with a microphone is a must
  • Twintelle because ARMS deserves another character, and Smash needs female and black representation, and Twintelle is a goddess
  • Protagonist of Fire Emblem 2022, but they go a Hero or Steve/Alex or Koopalings route and go with the protagonists as reskins instead of only the playable character. Like having Edelgard, Dimitri, etc as reskins of Byleth
  • Odyssey Mario
  • Sylux or whatever the antagonist of MP4 is
  • Waluigi
  • Crono
  • an indie rep(Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Shantae)
  • Scorpion
  • Crash
  • Master Chief
  • Jill and Leon as echoes
Quoting myself from another thread because it's better suited here.
Also I'm having a lot of fun with World of Light. DLC characters play really great and I gotta admit Kirby is indeed a god.

I’ll probably replay WoL at some point, maybe do a sort of Nuzlocke run like Alpharad did.

I don’t care too much about competitive balance so I think most of my favorites are in good shape for my purposes. Haven’t played in a while, but I don’t think they ever made Joker’s right special fast again like it was at launch so I’d like to see that reverted. End of an era regardless :(

seems really weird to have a 'final' fighter adjustment a month after the last dlc character came out.

isnt that why bayo was so broken in 4 at the end?

A new Smash is just too abstract of a concept for me right now, especially after Ultimate which very much felt like a "finale" to the last two decades of the series. Doesn't help that almost all of my "never ever" dream characters actually got into Ultimate...

I do not envy whoever is in charge of the next Smash having to follow up Ultimate, particularly with Ultimate ending on a high note with Sora's reveal.
We all know it's going to be Sakurai again. He can't let go of his baby.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere (probably because of its questionable validity), but I think it's pretty interesting whether real or fake! (TL;DR: Repackage with all DLC included on disc for $89.99, sometime in Jan/Feb.)

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere (probably because of its questionable validity), but I think it's pretty interesting whether real or fake! (TL;DR: Repackage with all DLC included on disc for $89.99, sometime in Jan/Feb.)

The source is hot girls 69 lol.

Although. I can envision Nintendo selling a $120 complete edition. If contracts allow it.

I don’t believe it will happen, but it would be neat to see from a preservation angle. I wouldn’t double dip at this time.

The source lol.

Anyways. I think what will push units for a complete edition would be a totally new Cover art with all the DLCs. But that’s for the hardcore fans, don’t know if it worth it in the end tho. Probably not.

if it is a cool special edition I would double dip. Just because of the awesomeness of the game itself.

That said are we getting a Sora amiibo? I believe not?

Had a great time playing 4 player Smash online with friends yesterday, first time in a while. Glad online improved somewhat over its life. It gets the job done enough for casual play, though I still really miss gathering around a big screen since the pandemic started. I also crossed 300 hours in Ultimate.

I think im about 1700+ hours in Ultimate. Ridley alone gets me so excited to jump out of bed and play as often as I can.

I just stumbled across this in iMovie and finally figured how to do picture in picture! Me and my brother here reacting to Everyone Is Here.

New spirit coming to Ultimate celebrating the 35th anniversary of Street Fighter! Wonder what other spirits might still be added down the road?

If Japan doesn't care about a series, it's chances of getting in are still basically zero.

I don't think Microsoft acquiring Activision Blizzard changes anything

If Japan doesn't care about a series, it's chances of getting in are still basically zero.

I don't think Microsoft acquiring Activision Blizzard changes anything
Crash Bandicoot was one of the few Western properties that was a hit in Japan during the PS1 era. Crash was pretty big there. Don’t know its current status, but having strong nostalgia factor for a segment of Japanese audience is a huge boon to his chances of getting in.

Crash Bandicoot in a good place for being added to a future Smash Bros now
One of my immediate takes on the situation was that the Smash Bros. demanding Crash be in Smash are probably going to be pleased, even if, as a thought, this is really more a joke than anything.

Other than that, this is quite the leap for consolidation in the industry.

I am just glad that Crash is better hands now.. (as much I know he got a chance to be on hiatus again anyway)
I can only hope the situation improves, if only for the people who have to deal with it, but I'm not about to run victory laps just yet.
You're right to be wary. This article came out 5 days (!) ago

Things will hopefully improve but this isn't necessarily going to make it easier. If anything, making A-B part of a mega corporation with 180'000 employees (vs. ~10'000) is just going to make it harder.
While Kotick might be out after the acquisition goes through, that's more a symbol than anything. If problems are part of company culture on different levels, it'll need a lot more work yet.

And that's not considering whatever problems Microsoft itself might have, which could complicate things.

Again, though, here's hoping for improvement.

Gotta assume that if MS regains a sizeable foothold of the marketshare with these acquisitions they still are amenable to this kind of collaboration. Companies that aren't struggling tend to compromise less. If they aren't, then it wouldn't look good for any character under the MS umbrella. Other than maybe Steve, because Minecraft will probably always continue to be everywhere.

One of my immediate takes on the situation was that the Smash Bros. demanding Crash be in Smash are probably going to be pleased, even if, as a thought, this is really more a joke than anything.

Other than that, this is quite the leap for consolidation in the industry.

I can only hope the situation improves, if only for the people who have to deal with it, but I'm not about to run victory laps just yet.

While Kotick might be out after the acquisition goes through, that's more a symbol than anything. If problems are part of company culture on different levels, it'll need a lot more work yet.

And that's not considering whatever problems Microsoft itself might have, which could complicate things.

Again, though, here's hoping for improvement.
There's still so much to fix and Microsoft surely have their own skeletons (and I never doubted that.. even before anything came to light, it's sadly a default position to me expect these terrible things in a industry like this...),.. but I can't lie and say I'm not feeling a little bit of relief. Mainly for selfish reasons, which I'm a bit ashamed of.. but I was feeling pretty down of being a Crash fan and not able to express any enjoyment, heck.. I wasn't wanting to express, since he was tarnished with all this mess.

But above everything else, I'm also feel relief of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel for folks over there, I do hope things on the real life side changes for the better, even if slowly. I want the Activision workers to unionize, despite the acquisition, because that can only bring them benefits on the longterm.

There's still so much to fix and Microsoft surely have their own skeletons (and I never doubted that.. even before anything came to light, it's sadly a default position to me expect these terrible things in a industry like this...),.. but I can't lie and say I'm not feeling a little bit of relief. Mainly for selfish reasons, which I'm a bit ashamed of.. but I was feeling pretty down of being a Crash fan and not able to express any enjoyment, heck.. I wasn't wanting to express, since he was tarnished with all this mess.

But above everything else, I'm also feel relief of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel for folks over there, I do hope things on the real life side changes for the better, even if slowly. I want the Activision workers to unionize, despite the acquisition, because that can only bring them benefits on the longterm.
And that's not to try to disparage hope for the situation. One could assume whatever problems Microsoft might have are going to be easier to deal with, that they might make more of an effort overall, that they at least can't be worse.
There's nothing wrong with looking at this development through a hopeful lense -- I do he this leads to the amelioration of the ongoing issues. There's just a lot of work to be done.

I hope one day soon you are able to look upon your Crash fandom, not with despair nor even shame, but with pride.

The main issue for Crash now IMO is if there will still be a big demand and interest for him in Smash since sadly it seems the IP is gonna go back in cold storage for the foreseeable future. I would still like to see him but it’s a shame he missed out on Ultimate since there’s a good chance the next Smash will have cuts.

The main issue for Crash now IMO is if there will still be a big demand and interest for him in Smash since sadly it seems the IP is gonna go back in cold storage for the foreseeable future. I would still like to see him but it’s a shame he missed out on Ultimate since there’s a good chance the next Smash will have cuts.
As I've said before, I'm not investing any energy thinking on such longterm future regarding Smash.. Heck, I'm not doing any bets on the franchise's future on Microsoft's hands either (while Crash is their number 1 platformer now, I can't say if they'll invest in any meaningful way; Microsoft is hard to predict); .. I guess at least they'll finally take Wumpa League out the door before the Summer 2023 deadline

I just hope they treat legacy a little bit better than Activision ever did. Sure, I was super happy to see characters and nods from the whole series in this revival era, but I do wish they re-release the 2000's games already, for accessibility sake.

Just imagine if Ultimate had a good netcode that allowed for inter-continental matchmaking, we could do a Fami online tournament and I would 100%, without the shadow of a doubt, come out on top. 🌝

By the way, for what is worth, Phil decided to highlight Crash as one of the IPs when talking about the acquisition;

nevermind the fanmade logo they downloaded...

And his recent comment on Toys for Bob sure is encouraging (though when he says reviving IPs of his particular childhood, considering his age, he's probably talking about Atari IPs that Activision didn't touch for decades).

I'm fine with this path, doesn't matter if means another brief hiatus; The statements on multiplatform releases is also meaningless at this point, because it could always change when contracts expire and who knows when the next Smash will be a thing;

By the way, for what is worth, Phil decided to highlight Crash as one of the IPs when talking about the acquisition;
He also named King's Quest while going though the IP's that they now own. Probably doesn't mean something but there supposed to be a Crash game coming this year. Based on its performance, they'll decide what to do with it. No doubt most of its sales will be on PS and Switch.
At this rate next Smash will need to its own FP full of Microsoft characters (Steve, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash and Master Chief) lol.
They also have 3 Mii costumes (Vault Boy, Dragonborn and Doom Slayer) and they'll most likely promote to full fighter status.

The next Smash will be Nintendo vs. Microsoft.
Ha, made that joke in the main acquisition thread. Would be something to behold for sure.

In all seriousness though I think this news does throw into sharp relief what a 'once in a lifetime' event Ultimate actually was. Imagine if Capcom, Konami or SquareEnix were assimilated into Sony, for instance. Suddenly no more Ryu, Megaman, Snake or Cloud in Smash. If the industry hurtles further into consolidation, it's a very real possibility some of these characters may never appear in Smash again. A sobering thought indeed.

Tomorrow is the day I literally level up and install an ethernet cord to play Smash Ultimate online for the first time on a wired connection, in a modern city.

iu

I'm so fucking psyched! Wasn't possible at the old place, but I've finally moved into a pad with a little more internet flexibility. I can't wait to play against others at all hours of the day...

Back
Top Bottom