• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Smash Bros. Series |ST| Colours Weave Into A Spire Of Flame

What is that Robotnik design?
It's a fan render of Modern Eggman dressed up like Movie Robotnik. I've seen it before, but I still don't really get it, lol.

Something a fan made probably out of inspiration of how Wario received a unique design in Brawl.
Dang... I guess WarioWare never existed at all šŸ˜¢

Still undecided on the Wai Wai World situation for Simon, but either way, the observation of those games being related to him in some capacity was already made.
That's a tricky one! The Simon in the first Wai Wai World is technically a decendant, Simon Belmont III; and in Wai Wai World 2 the player character transforms into the Konami characters, so it isn't technically the characters themselves.

Sakurai did celebrate the first game's anniversary on Twitter months ago at least, so he considers that crossover content relevant enough to Smash.

Lol, seems very evocative of how the Kingdom Hearts series idea came about in the first place. Very fitting.

That's a tricky one! The Simon in the first Wai Wai World is technically a decendant, Simon Belmont III; and in Wai Wai World 2 the player character transforms into the Konami characters, so it isn't technically the characters themselves.

Sakurai did celebrate the first game's anniversary on Twitter months ago at least, so he considers that crossover content relevant enough to Smash.

Yeah, I was aware of Sakurai celebrating the game's anniversary! āœØ But still was conflicted with the placement on the timeline... because, Simon III, for all intends and purposes, it's just Simon in a chibi artstyle.

The Wai Wai World 2 situation would fit the criteria tho (That's how I decided see the skins in Final Fantasy Explorers and the Mystery Mushroom in Super Mario Maker), but I think it's still Simon III in the sequel regardless; ... at least is what I got from the Castlevania Wiki....

So Sakurai is glad he can post anything again without people reading too deeply into it, only to post one of the most chaotic options.

Sakurai is underestimating the Smash fanbase; they absolutely will come up with some dumb theory about anything.

So "hints"?

Hmmm. That sounds like Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe DLC for Switch 2 is all but confirmed.

It raises the official charakter-count to 100! Better graphics, new Adventure Mode Addition "World of Twilight", more Bosses, Boss-Rush Mode, more Mii Custom Options, more Stage Builder Options, better netcode...

Master Chief, Kratos, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Hayabusa, Nahabino, Legionis (AC), Soldier and Commander (AW) and Waluigi will all be playable. Imposter is mii costume...

...yeah smash fans like me never getting enough. Maybe its better that Ultimate ended. Its my personal GOAT.

Last edited:

Wonder how much that frame cost since it's not a regular poster sized one.

Surprised no-one here has picked up on Sakurai's recent comments regarding the future of the series:

Aside from him stating that he is currently not planning for a sequel, he also stated he couldn't see a path where he wasn't producing Smash, and that they tried it before and it did not go well.

While I think this reads more as Sakurai being very protective of his baby, it did get me thinking about the future of Smash. I have to say though I can't see Nintendo waiting more than 6 years for a new Smash to be made. It's too lucrative to ignore both in pure money making and in hype generation. The top brass at Nintendo will want a new Smash, and if they don't want to make one without Sakurai, they'll have to devise some other big crossover game to fill the gap until he's ready to come back.

If Ultimate is backwards compatible with the next Switch, I wonder how pressing the need is to make another one. They could decide to make a third wave of DLC anytime they want in the Switch 2 lifecycle to bring attention to it again.

I still think Ultimate Deluxe on Switch 2 makes the most sense. It can be as ambitious as Sakurai wants it to be and would probably be less stressful to coordinate as you build on top of a beloved base.

However it happens and however long it takes the next obvious big goal is 100 characters right? What else is there to add unless completely overhauled online becomes a focus or an even wilder Subspace happens.

That said, I wonder if the answer is trying to find more things all these gathered characters can do besides just fight. I really donā€™t see a full reboot as likely, that just doesnā€™t seem to remotely be the answer, so new modes within Smash seem likely to me. Maybe an RPG mode of some kind? Fishing? Bowling? Things like that.

Only scenario I can see in which Nintendo wait the best part of a decade for a new Smash relies on the below three things happening:

1 - Smash Ultimate is not only cross compatible with the Switch's successor, but possibly sees a 'complete' edition released with all DLC included (I don't see more characters being added, Sakurai seems to have expressly ruled that out).
2 - Sakurai gets to work on a new Nintendo orientated game, be it a Nintendo IP or just something that comes to Switch they can market as a 'Sakurai game,' ala his bestie Kojima.
3 - Nintendo sets to work on a new hype inducing crossover game in the meantime, whatever form that takes. A racer, a multiplayer arena game, MOBA, whatever. This fills the hype gap before Sakurai returns to Smash.

If this all happens, I can see it being 8 odd years before the next one. Failing all this, I can only see Nintendo wanting another new Smash as early in the Switch 2's life as possible. Smash usually comes out within 2 years of a new consoles launch, so they'll want to keep that streak going. If we presume Switch 2 comes out in 2024, that leaves a 2026 release a real possibility.

Of course, things will also depend on whether their next console is a full blown successor to the Switch or just a lightly upgraded one...

If Ultimate is backwards compatible with the next Switch, I wonder how pressing the need is to make another one. They could decide to make a third wave of DLC anytime they want in the Switch 2 lifecycle to bring attention to it again.
Well, this shouldn't be a factor on whether or not they'll make a new Smash (they will),.. the Wii U was backcompatible with the Wii and you could play Brawl there if you wanted instead of Smash4; Same with the Wii being able to play Melee (they even had Smash 64 in the Virtual Console lol).

They can make an Ultimate DX (or better name: Ultimate Special so its japanese name is Special Ultimate) as $40/50 paid expansion for base Ultimate users and sell it as a $70 game for new people. As I said before, it would be easy regarding negotiations and such if any DLC content (FP1/2 and mii costumes) would still remain paid.

This would not be a FP3 package becuase it would include new games modes and such.

Also, I can see Sakurai being a producer overseeing some projects than a director with full smash dedication.

Ultimate with more single-player content is really all I need. And more characters, of course, preferably focusing a bit more on first-party than Ultimate did.

Anyone think they're going to make a sequel that ditches "everyone is here" and scraps about 20 characters? Not a reboot, but more a sequel like Brawl was to Melee and Smash 4 was to Brawl.

Honestly I don't think they should even try to replicate what Ultimate did. Something a 'Street Fighter: Third Strike' scenario with a cast that's predominantly new would be my bet. Keep a core group of veterans that represent 'modern' Nintendo and build a brand new roster from that. Any fan favs that get left out can be added in as DLC.

Honestly, I'd personally be OK with them whittling down the veterans to around 30-40 in total (including a smattering of third party reps they can get the rights for), updating their movesets to make them feel fresher, then adding in 20-25 all new fighters. Then do the same for stages. It'd be a big project sure, but if they make it clear this is a brand spanking new roster created almost from scratch the speculation machine would go into overdrive.

I don't envision a radical realignment of Smash coming anytime soon. It's like Mario Kart, the core formula is too successful and Ultimate is the best selling Smash game by a landslide, having doubled Brawl's sales. They're not going to massively chop up the roster or reboot it or anything like that. There'll be cuts but that's been the case already with Brawl and Smash 4.

Fighters Pass 3 with Kratos, Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot and Nahabino, when?

Also give me 12 more First Partie Charackters to raise the official count to 100 ( Legionis, Soldier and Commander, Vlad, Lei-qo, Waluigi, Isaac, Octoling, Ring Fit Adventurer, Medusa and whoever the new Protagonists of Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 3 will be).

Smash Ultimate is already the GOAT. But you know, there can always be more ;-)

Well, this shouldn't be a factor on whether or not they'll make a new Smash (they will),.. the Wii U was backcompatible with the Wii and you could play Brawl there if you wanted instead of Smash4; Same with the Wii being able to play Melee (they even had Smash 64 in the Virtual Console lol).
This is the very first time they can expand on the past game on a new platform without releasing a new version. Itā€™s hypothetically the least involved Sakurai would ever have to be if they went that route and could give him time to refresh/do something else for a bit. Also you keep everything you built from last time, which was absurdly a lot.

I do not ever see Smash getting a giant roster revamp/reboot, nor do I see Sakurai not being involved in any capacity. A majority of Nintendo franchises and fighting games in general only expand, polish, and enhance the core gameplay that's already there, and I'm pretty sure most Nintendo directors and other important names have stuck with the franchises that they've helped build. The only characters I can really see be on the chopping block are characters that have already been cut once before and the third-parties, which even then, most if not all would surely continue to play ball. At most, maybe characters will receive Ganon/Falco/Luigi like upgrades with some newly updated moves and specials, but I'm not sure I see any characters get built from the ground up when there's a foundation of two decades underneath. At most I can see new additions/tweaks to the core gameplay but never a completely different format. His comment about aerial smash attacks is something I can easily see toyed with or expanded upon with the next entry.

With what's been translated so far, it does seem like Sakurai is taking a small break but also has his next project lined up. It's interesting that out of most game developers, I feel like it's his words and character that gets misconstrued the most. The calls for him to rest and take a break I think sometimes cross the line into babying, when it's just a part of Japanese work culture. And then there are the calls of arrogance with him thinking he's the only one to carry on Smash right now, when it's literally his and Iwata's baby. Eventually, he'll have no choice but to appoint/build someone as his successor, but he has clout and an eye for detail that's so rare, Smash would not be what it is without him involved in some way. Whatever his next project is, I'm interested for sure, and it will be interesting what he could take from that project and add to Smash.

All that said, I'm of the mind of thinking there will be a Melee to Brawl/Brawl to 4 sized break of maybe 4-6 years until release if not a little longer, not counting the actual planning and development. I think the series needs time to breathe. See how the current Nintendo franchises grow, see what new games and characters are born, see who rises and maintains relevance the next few years. All that would be next is the project plan. What would Nintendo/Sakurai and his team want to focus on when it comes to the roster? What would the concept for single player be? I think building on a Great Cave Offensive type of campaign that WOL/Subspace are would be a good start. The animations in the series are fantastic, but it would be nice to see FE or even Tales like supports and skits so we could really get immersed in the crossover world. I'd love Kirby Super Star/Pokemon Stadium like minigames that build off of Break The Targets and Home Run Contest.

Just do a deluxe version with all previous content included, a few new characters, modes, etc for Switch 2.

Reboot for the 30th anniversary.

Keep a core group of veterans that represent 'modern' Nintendo and build a brand new roster from that. Any fan favs that get left out can be added in as DLC.
This is an area of concern I have for a sequel that doesn't simply build off of Ultimate. I'd hope they wouldn't ditch characters like Ness, Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, etc. for the sake of representing "modern" Nintendo as well as possible. Those kinds of character inclusions are part of what make Smash special.

This is an area of concern I have for a sequel that doesn't simply build off of Ultimate. I'd hope they wouldn't ditch characters like Ness, Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, etc. for the sake of representing "modern" Nintendo as well as possible. Those kinds of character inclusions are part of what make Smash special.
I absolutely get what you're saying, but unfortunately, I think we have to be realistic. If they're building a new game from scratch then creating a cast of even 50 fighters and then balancing them all will be a monstrous feat. Then you need to consider all hype inducing newcomers they need to add in. They were only able to get where they did with Ultimate as it's been a huge ongoing project that's lasted a whole decade nearly.

I can see Sakurai cramming in as many as possible, because he's nuts, but there's plenty of scope to trim down the roster by removing characters who haven't been prominent in their respective series for a while, especially on the Fire Emblem/Pokemon/Zelda side of things.

Everyone's like "reboot Smash reboot Smash" and then you ask what that even means and they say, "give Mario a new down special" as if a direct followup can't give old characters new moves.

I'm on the position that next Smash will be just.. the next entry traditionally; It won't be a reboot, it won't be a port of Ultimate with more content, and sure as hell won't be somekind of completely different game as some suggested in the past (3D arena fighter lol);

That question of whether or not the next entry will top the current one is always floating around. Heck, lots of people thought Brawl was impossible to top and lo and behold.. they did it.

Sure, maybe Sakurai won't be able to make another "Everyone is Here!", but again, just like Smash4, he'll try and by balancing with actual newcomers, I think people will let any cuts slide off easily... and besides, companies are always actively wanting their characters in Smash, so there's always the incentive to keep most of the guests around.

--- about re-working veterans, I'll be always on the opinion that they shouldn't do anything drastic. Characters in a fighting game have their niche, and when you change them too radically, it's almost as cutting them entirely. Yeah, give Mario a new Down Special or something, but doesn't make him play completely different of all previous games just for the sake of referencing the newest mainline Mario game.

Everyone's like "reboot Smash reboot Smash" and then you ask what that even means and they say, "give Mario a new down special" as if a direct followup can't give old characters new moves.
I just want a Samus that actually feels like Samus, especially after Dread is being such a paradigm shift.

I really don't see whatever form the next Smash takes cutting a huge amount of characters. I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai know the giant roster is a big appeal for the series, and frankly I don't think there's a lot of characters that would be considered expendable in the first place. Any cuts are going to come from characters being dropped because of not enough dev time or negotiations with third parties going badly.

My take on the reboot discourse is that -- where once the big thing might have been to boot up with the original starting roster -- the game opens with a roster representative of what the series might have started with if it began today, or whenever development begins. This creates a visible representation more attuned to the Nintendo of today, but doesn't necessitate throwing the company's beloved legacy to the wayside (I'm also personally not keen on leaning on DLC to fix that, and would appreciate a complete-on-cart Ultimate as well, unlikely as that might be).

The game would be the result of an attempt to bring back as many characters as possible, juggling them with the creation of new characters. Some might be prioritized lower than different newcomers, but that presents the question of who takes that risk of sacrifice.

That said, a lot of the characters who are often bandied about as easy cuts to make room for new, more exciting characters are also potentially some of the safest:
there's plenty of scope to trim down the roster by removing characters who haven't been prominent in their respective series for a while, especially on the Fire Emblem/Pokemon/Zelda side of things.
PokƩmon is largely represented by characters who are still well-regarded in its fandom, and who one might expect to make continued appearances in different media for just that reason. Jigglypuff, though, did once almost miss the cut, and poor Pichu was removed at one point.
Zelda has the trifecta: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, albeit with three Links. One or two of those Links are easy cuts, right? That seems a reasonable conclusion, but they also use less in way of development resources, being clones Echoes, so removing one affords less benefit than you might assume. But who else would get cut here?
Fire Emblem is notoriously on the same wavelength regarding cuts and clones. It has a number of characters that one might think would be easy cuts, but then these are often also gifted the requirement of fewer development resources. Not all of them, of course.
The question of who might be sacrificed isn't so easy as many assume.

Different characters would be tweaked in various ways so as to better represent themselves or their franchise -- by which I don't mean their most recent game, but as a whole; Luigi, for instance, might be considered as having broken out into his own franchise and receive the Poltergust, while Samus might be given an overhaul that brings her more in line with the sort of movement that can be expected from her going forward. Some of these might be severely altered, but that must be a decision not taken lightly, as removing a moveset can be seen as akin to cutting a character. In the cases where this does happen, it's excused as being a reboot.

Physics and such have been majorly altered in the past without being a reboot. Single-player content has been added to great fanfare as well as unceremoniously chopped without being a reboot.

The whole reboot concept in Smash discourse tends to be ill-defined.

Regarding Fire Emblem, barring some character(s) that absolutely need in, the franchise receives only two: Anna, who has appeared in most of the games and is its most consistent character, and perhaps also Tiki, also a series regular and mascot.

Does anyone know where to get the Smash Bros mural at the highest resolution and quality possible to print on quality paper or in a painting? I'm looking for it crazy, thank you very much.

The closest thing I have found has been the image in the OP but I don't know if it will be in even better quality to be able to print it in good quality.

pI7MYxN.jpg

Does anyone know where to get the Smash Bros mural at the highest resolution and quality possible to print on quality paper or in a painting? I'm looking for it crazy, thank you very much.

The closest thing I have found has been the image in the OP but I don't know if it will be in even better quality to be able to print it in good quality.

pI7MYxN.jpg
Is this one better?

The future of Smash may be shrouded in mystery, but if it doesn't have Sephiroth in it, why bother.

Smash Bros but it is a 3D Arena Fighter with mechanics similar to Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

Surprised no-one here has picked up on Sakurai's recent comments regarding the future of the series:

Aside from him stating that he is currently not planning for a sequel, he also stated he couldn't see a path where he wasn't producing Smash, and that they tried it before and it did not go well.

While I think this reads more as Sakurai being very protective of his baby, it did get me thinking about the future of Smash. I have to say though I can't see Nintendo waiting more than 6 years for a new Smash to be made. It's too lucrative to ignore both in pure money making and in hype generation. The top brass at Nintendo will want a new Smash, and if they don't want to make one without Sakurai, they'll have to devise some other big crossover game to fill the gap until he's ready to come back.
I read the commentary in the article and Sakurai begins to strike me as a man who hates passing off the baton, like he's not even trying to find someone who could build a Smash game at the same level as he can.

That concerns me, because even Nintendo recognizes that the baton MUST be passed. Aonuma seems to be well into the process of passing the Zelda baton to Fujibayashi, for example. It especially concerns me in that the last time he was solely in charge of a franchise, he left HAL Labs to get himself out from under it.

I read the commentary in the article and Sakurai begins to strike me as a man who hates passing off the baton, like he's not even trying to find someone who could build a Smash game at the same level as he can.

That concerns me, because even Nintendo recognizes that the baton MUST be passed. Aonuma seems to be well into the process of passing the Zelda baton to Fujibayashi, for example. It especially concerns me in that the last time he was solely in charge of a franchise, he left HAL Labs to get himself out from under it.
Maybe Sakurai just really enjoys working on Smash? I know people are constantly saying, "Let Sakurai make what he wants and stop shackling him to Smash" (which in some quarters amounts to light trolling of the Smash Bros games) but ultimately it's Sakurai's decision what he wants to work on. Nintendo are always going to develop more Smash games and as long as Sakurai is around they'll ask him first. I'm sure they'll have contingencies in place if he says no for whatever reason.

But yeah, he strikes me as someone immensely proud of what he has achieved with Smash and he doesn't seem keen to let it go.

Smash gives him access to virtually any videogame IP they want to make a collaboration.

And probably Nintendo pays him a very wealthy salary.

So yeah; I donā€™t think Sakurai isnā€™t bored to continue working on Smash.

In the Online Section, you can download a Mii with a real looking Master Chief skin and he even wears a plasma cannon from Halo. (It wears the name funnymario). When you Download it, the pic stay that way, even in the charaktere selection screen. But into the fight, its just a Mii Gunner with the chainhound - hat.

How is this possible. Is that some kind of hack? Has that happened before?

Last edited:
Maybe Sakurai just really enjoys working on Smash? I know people are constantly saying, "Let Sakurai make what he wants and stop shackling him to Smash" (which in some quarters amounts to light trolling of the Smash Bros games) but ultimately it's Sakurai's decision what he wants to work on. Nintendo are always going to develop more Smash games and as long as Sakurai is around they'll ask him first. I'm sure they'll have contingencies in place if he says no for whatever reason.

But yeah, he strikes me as someone immensely proud of what he has achieved with Smash and he doesn't seem keen to let it go.
Oh, I'm sure he likes working on Smash. But the day he stops, there's no one prepped to replace him that any of us can see. And it's an awful big gamble to suggest Nintendo has a contingency plan when they don't even have an internal team creating the game from which they could pick someone to succeed Sakurai whenever he chooses to stop, which is entirely out of Nintendo's control.
Perhaps some of that money they just said they have set aside for team expansion will include building an internal team explicitly to work on Smash. Who knows. But that doesn't exactly solve the problem if Sakurai decides he's done after this iteration, or that he seems completely reluctant to bring talent up to his level that could replace him in such an event.

In the Online Section, you can download a Mii with a real looking Master Chief skin and he even wears a plasma cannon from Halo. (It wears the name funnymario). When you Download it, the pic stay that way, even in the charaktere selection screen. But into the fight, its just a Mii Gunner with the chainhound - hat.

How is this possible. Is that some kind of hack? Has that happened before?
You made me check this out. That is pretty wild. Iā€™m curious too.

Back
Top Bottom