• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Smash Bros. Series |ST| Colours Weave Into A Spire Of Flame

MondoMega

Puffball Enthusiast
Pronouns
She/They
NieyKcb.png

pI7MYxN.jpg

pDzJzNQ.png

nzQhQSN.png

The Super Smash Bros. series is now over 20 years old, and since the first game launched for the Nintendo 64 on January 21st 1999, each new installment has continued building upon the last, adding more and more fighters, stages, items, music and more. The most recent title, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, boasts a roster of 89 fighters and well over 100 stages to battle on.

This thread will be a place to discuss anything related to Smash. That includes general talk about any of the six main games, competitive play, fan-works (art, fangames, mods, etc) and anything else! I guess you could also organise to play with others here, but who plays video games when you can talk about them?

f59x6uh.png

Sora from Kingdom Hearts has been confirmed to be the final new fighter coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. His Challenger Pack, which includes the fighter himself, his stage Hollow Bastion and other additional content; plus the final wave of Mii Fighter Costumes that includes two Hats based on Octoling and Judd from Splatoon, and a Mii Gunner costume based on Doom Slayer from DOOM; will be available from October 19th, 10 AM JST, when Version 13.0.0 launches.

Below are links to The Final Mr. Sakurai Presents, Sora's Fighter Introduction video and the Mii Fighter Costumes Round 11 video; which detail this content.

NMyV2Ro.png

Latest In-Game Event: Check Here!

Competitive Events:

EventGame(s)Date
SWT: East Asia Melee Regional FinalsMeleeNovember 20th-21st, 2021
CEO 2021UltimateDecember 3rd - 5th, 2021
Smash Summit 12MeleeDecember 9th-12th, 2021
Smash World Tour 2021 FinalsMelee
Ultimate
December 17th-19th, 2021
GENESIS 864
Melee
Ultimate
January 28th-30th, 2022

An official North American circuit for Ultimate and Melee has been announced! More details to come in the future.

SE5vlYK.png

Trans Rights are Human Rights
Considering certain past events over on ResetEra and within the gaming community at large, it's become increasingly necessary to continue reminding everyone that, yes, trans rights are human rights. Trans folk shouldn't need to be in a position where asking for recognition and respect is necessary. Related to Smash specifcally, there are two series featured in Ultimate that feature transphobic content or are tied to transphobic individuals, which I find unacceptable. There's nothing to be done about their inclusion in Smash now, but it can still be discussed:
  • Persona, specifcally installments directed by Katsura Hashino, has a history of transphobic and homophobic content; which is especially unfortunate as Persona 2: Innocent Sin portrayed one of the earliest positive gay relationships in video games. Hashino moved on from the series following Persona 5, but it remains to be seen if having a fresh face take over as director will lead to Persona 6 being more inclusive and respectful.
  • Dragon Quest's former composer Koichi Sugiyama used his life to actively mock and show disdain for the LGBT+ community, in addition to victim blaming and denying war crimes; and used funds earned from his works to back advertisement campaigns promoting these horrid views. As Sugiyama alone owned all of his compositions for the Dragon Quest series, he assuredly benefited financially from Hero’s inclusion in Ultimate, but following his death the current rights status of his music is unknown.
In 2019 a member of ResetEra was dog-piled and insulted for bringing up these points. I’m hoping that since then people have accepted the legitimacy of her concerns.
Black Lives Matter
As each new fighter is introduced, a major problem with Ultimate's roster becomes more and more apparent; despite Ultimate now capping out at 89 fighters, not one of them is Black. You could bring up that "Villager and Inkling have two dark-skinned alt colors each", but we all know that’s far from being acceptable representation. For further discussion on this topic, I suggest that everyone reads The Anti-Blackness of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a thread written by Neoxon, which covers this subject in depth. I also recommend checking out Neoxon's Black History Month 2021 thread over on Era which highlights a variety of Black characters in video games, many that would make for wonderful Smash fighters.

I'd also like to discuss Reuben Langdon’s involvement in Smash as Ken's English voice actor. Langdon has made no effort to hide his anti-BLM views on social media over the past few years; on top of previously spreading islamophobic, antisemitic and homophobic rhetoric, blaming victims of Vic Mignogna's sexual harassment, harassing Twitter users, spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories and defending Gina Carano following transphobic and antissemitic comments. It’s unfortunate to have the voice of such a heinous individual present on Smash’s roster; and it's disappointing that Capcom have not yet publicly distanced themselves from Langdon and his motion capture studio Just Cause Productions.
Stop Asian Hate
The blatant sinophobia spread by members of ResetEra following Min Min’s Smash reveal last year was disgusting and unacceptable; and it's unfortunate to say that those types of comments aren't exclusive to Smash discussion on that site either. I was under the impression that as a community ResetEra would strive to make the forum a safe and welcoming space, yet at multiple points members part of different communities have been driven away from the site due to feeling they were being unheard or simply unwanted, which includes AsianEra members. I ask that anyone and everyone reading this takes stand against Asian hate and racism; standing idly by and saying nothing isn’t acceptable at this point, and it never was.

I sincerely hope that the community here at Famiboards will do better. Asian hate doesn’t belong in this thread, on this forum, or anywhere else.
Free Palestine
Many Palestinians of all ages are in need of help and support, as many currently need to rely on international aid to survive. I urge anyone who is able to spare a donation to a Palestinian relief charity to do just that; the two charities linked below should accept international donations.

The Palestine Children's Relief Fund
Islamic Relief USA

Naturally these aren't the only worthwhile causes out there, but these are what I and members of the Smash community on Era have wanted to bring attention to.

Last edited:
Anyone watching Smashcon right now? Grand finals is on with Sparg0 vs Light. I like both of these players but I gotto go for Sparg0 because he plays Pyra/Mythra and Cloud

Oop Light won, oh well I've always been a fan of him and it's his first Major win so kudos

Last edited:
And what a series it is, this thing basically followed me and three of my childhood friends through our entire lives since we were 7 years old. :lol

Ultimate will be hard to top, to the point where I wonder if there will ever be an attempt to top it or if Ultimate will be milked for generations to come.

Hey Mondo! Nice to see you made the OT here. And welcome to my SmashCafe pals, I wasn't really active on the forum after release but those in the Discord should be familiar with me.

So sad that the Ultimate cycle is nearly over and Smash will most likely have another 5ish year break before the next like Melee to Brawl and Brawl to 4. Ultimate will be impossible to top, but I do have faith that Sakurai who whoever he and Nintendo deem as the next successor will be able to make a new installment just as impressive.

Smash's strength is it's roster so I suspect the majority (at least 80% if not 90%) will be returning, maybe some with new and revamped moves and looks but I really don't expect a "reboot" in that sense.

I do hope we get a few more spirit events, I enjoy them. It would be nice to have trophy-like descriptions for the playable cast and maybe the assists and mii costume characters. And I'll hope that the Melody of Memories demo will count for that music track so I don't have to eventually buy and return a game for that...

I do hope we get a few more spirit events, I enjoy them. It would be nice to have trophy-like descriptions for the playable cast and maybe the assists and mii costume characters. And I'll hope that the Melody of Memories demo will count for that music track so I don't have to eventually buy and return a game for that...

The MoM demo doesn't even have save data enabled so you'll definitely need the full game for the song.

I lurked the SmashGaf and SmashEra threads for years, so excited to finally join the community here!

Can’t wait for Sora tomorrow, he looks like a ton of fun!

Until Sora's announcement i left off KH on the last world a couple years ago on the PS4 compilation. Smash announcements historically are good at getting me to work on my backlog so I finished it, watched a cutscene compilation of COM, and now I'm pretty deep into KH2 so it's safe to say I'm ready for tomorrow.

Back when DLC started I told myself I would do NG+ on World Of Light once all the DLC was released. I did not think that would take 3 years but here we are.

ORtDEAl.gif

And now the Smash community is officially christened.

Last edited:
TIL they say Spire of Flame instead of Spiral of Flame....

Very excited for Sora in Smash! The FP characters have been awesome! My favs being Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, Byleth and Joker!

Long time lurker of forums past joining in the dicussion just as the final Ultimate character is released. Such is life...

Definitely interested in seeing (and discussing) what Nintendo's future plans for this series will be in the coming years.

Interested in seeing how Sora plays as someone with absolutely no past Kingdom Hearts gaming experience. I like floaty characters with range so he seems like my kind of fighter.

Next Smash game should a drastically different reboot for the new system and Ultimate gets a port with new characters. Maybe after Kirby, Smash also deserves to jump into the 3D space?

Ultimate should get a straight port for Switch 2 or whatever it'll be called with few newcomers like Akira, Isaac/Matthew and Andy.

Next Smash game should a drastically different reboot for the new system and Ultimate gets a port with new characters. Maybe after Kirby, Smash also deserves to jump into the 3D space?

Ultimate should get a straight port for Switch 2 or whatever it'll be called with few newcomers like Akira, Isaac/Matthew and Andy.
I'm not sure a full reboot is necessary, or a rerelease of Ultimate for that matter, but I do think a revamp of the roster would be in order. There's still plenty of first party characters they can utilise to freshen things up, especially if there's a big gap between Ultimate and the next one (though I don't think Nintendo will want to wait long for that).

Echo your sentiments that Isaac and Andy should join the fight, though Sami would be my Advance Wars pick.

Nice. One of the better games made in the last years. It is a really unique game which some great gaming representation from the past 30 years. I am still baffled that we got so many characters in the game and fighting together. I think if you would have told me 5 years and + more years ago what the roster of a Smash Bros game would be like I would have laughed.

That aside I hope next Smash game will add characters like Raven Beak, Akira, Rodin, Twintelle etc. Not only to push diversity in both gender and PoC but also to make the game feel newer as well. As most characters in the game are already from older games. I would love to see more recently made characters in the game as well from new franchises.

I dont really mind if it is a reboot with reworks on some legacy characters or a build up on Smash Ultimate. Anyway, the next Smash game will be interesting if Sakurai isn't at the helm anymore and a new team/director works on it. I wonder if they then would focus more on the competitive side of things.

That said; remake Golden Sun and bring back this franchise. Pls.

BTW is it just me but I also notice I enjoy the speculation more than actually playing it.

Oh look at that! I should post something here now that speculation is finally over!

With an official Smash Thread, Famiiboards is finally complete! Great job, Mondo! 🐺

Oh look at that! I should post something here now that speculation is finally over!

With an official Smash Thread, Famiiboards is finally complete! Great job, Mondo! 🐺
We gotta start speculation for the next game now. It's never too early to talk about the character you love and why you think they deserve to be in Smash, or so help you Sakurai.

Last edited:
Do we think that Sakurai will finally move on to something else, and if so will the next director finally allow Goku and James Bond?

Also great thread mondo

I’m 1 Mew Spirit away from owning all the base game spirits, does anyone have any tips on completing that achievement? I know it’s from beating WoL without losing a stock

I just want Ultimate Deluxe with:

• 12 newcomers, 6 in base and the other 6 via DLC. Half Nintendo, other half Third Parties. Most Nintendo are from switch games like ring fit, splat 3, pokémon gen 8 or 9 ….
  • 15 new stages, 10 in base game, other 5 via DLC. Majority are using Switch assets from games like Luigis Mansion 3, Zelda BOTW2, Splat 3, Bayo 3, MH Rise, etc.
  • New WoL map with 4 new bosses: Magnamalo, Dr Eggman, Porky and Tabuu. WoL mode also includes local/online coop up to 4 players
  • New AT and pokémon.
  • More music and spirits representing late switch era games. Most ripoffs
  • You can now create, play and share break the targets stages with an editor very similar to stage builder. Can put conditions like time or can only use X character.
  • All characters have the same movesets. A 9th alt is added. Some get a new design from a recent game as 9th alt (Example: Samus 9th alt is her Dread design). No graphics updates aside from 4k resolution when docked next Switch model.
  • Online gets improved with rollback and can play other modes online too.
  • Master Hand WoL battle is now added as a single player mode. Can choose any battlefield form stage.
  • FP1 and 2 contents aren’t included in DX. You must purchase separately. It also applies to all DLC Mii Costumes. Normal Ultimate users can upgrade via paying $40.

Great OP. I love this series SO much. Ultimate feels like such a perfect game offline it's hard to ask for more, but I wonder how they'll top it with the next Smash game.

I think we can all agree that the first item on the agenda for the next Smash should be fixing the butchered DK Rap.

Having said earlier that I'd be up for a reboot of the roster, I'd also kinda be OK with a hypothetical 'Super Smash Bros: The Ultimate 100' which launches with Nintendo's next console, with the base game tweaked to incorporate the DLC better into adventure/classic mode/spirits, and 11 new fighters to bring the total number of playable fighters to a round 100 including echoes.

I'd like a good number of new stages and maybe an extra single player mode of some kind in that instance mind...because I'm greedy

I'm actually hoping for a reboot, from the ground up newly made Smash that goes back to the drawing board. We're never going to reach Ultimate levels of roster and presentation, so might as well try and make something that is not trying to build upon it.

Same gameplay idea: Platform fighter.
Complete new movesets, models, animations, etc.
New roster that doesn't build upon the previous games: 24 base roster, expand with DLC.
Focus on new game modes: New story/adventure mode made for each character (or some arcade mode)
Adding options for both casual and competitive play: Lots of items, rules, and stage variations, options to disable everything that doesn't fit with competitive play, better net code.

I would love either a Brawl remake/Brawl 2, or if they went through with smash games by consoles so you can definitively have the best console/stage list/story mode for that Era. Like Smash game boy would have muddy mole and a balloon trip stage.

Would be interesting if the next "Smash" game is single-player only revisit of the Subspace Emissary concept. Except the gameplay and physics would be completely designed to better serve the campaign. I just want another chance to have an adventure where Nintendo characters from various franchises interact with each other in cutscenes.

...now I need to re-watch the all Subspace Emissary cutscenes again.

Eyyyyyy, a Smash thread here too

I believe in Ultimate Deluxe. Cutting the roster would be a huge blow to hyping the next game up, there's no going back from Everyone Is Here

Geno gang in shambles once again.

We go back into our holes and enjoy the darkness again.

In good news, I won four online matches in a row with Simon yesterday who I've wanted to git gud with for forever. Love all his stupid projectiles, hate his rubbish recovery.

I'm not sure a full reboot is necessary, or a rerelease of Ultimate for that matter, but I do think a revamp of the roster would be in order. There's still plenty of first party characters they can utilise to freshen things up, especially if there's a big gap between Ultimate and the next one (though I don't think Nintendo will want to wait long for that).

Echo your sentiments that Isaac and Andy should join the fight, though Sami would be my Advance Wars pick.
Sami would be no-no with those dual AK-47's in both hands (or M5's? Don't know much about assault rifles).

But yes, we need more female characters, Rachel can be a great echo for Andy:

523820-rachel_awds.jpg

I feel like a compilation rerelease should be Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Special Edition.

Then in Japan it can be Super Smash Bros. Special: Ultimate Edition.

Sami would be no-no with those dual AK-47's in both hands (or M5's? Don't know much about assault rifles).

But yes, we need more female characters, Rachel can be a great echo for Andy:

523820-rachel_awds.jpg
I've always envisaged Sami as working similarly to Snake, as she's often depicted carrying rocket launchers which form a big part of Snake's movesets. Plus she's a commando so skilled in hand to hand combat. No guns required.

Rachel would be good too. Potentially you could have her (or another Advance Wars character) summoning units to fight, kinda like Dunk Hunt Duo. Lots of potential for interesting characters. Shame the series has barely any presence in Japan as that will always be a big roadblock in the way of getting Smash representation.

I always wanted Andy for the Advance Wars rep. His normal attacks would involve swinging wrenches at people, while his special moves would all involve him constructing/commanding things like tanks, turrets, and motorcycles. 50/50 if I want the old sprites in play or just cartoony versions of them, but I’m sure Sakurai and the team would make it awesome. Loading Smash up with as many Advance Wars musical themes as possible is long overdue.

I’m also on team Smash Ultimate Deluxe. Just keep going to 100 characters and beyond. Fix the online, add in missing stages, break the targets, a random arcade mode (classic classic mode lol) etc. I want to know what a full team could add/improve to Smash Ultimate if they didn’t have to rebuild anything.

Last edited:
Raven Beak hard lock

in 10 years
While he could be fun with the sphere attacks instead of morph ball bombs, I think he'd have to have cloned himself and show up elsewhere unless you want Metroid going the fire emblem route and cramming in any and all one game wonders. The other hunters could be fun as echoes if 1 game is fine.

I don’t think a reboot is needed. Just use the base game with the characters and stages and build new stuff around it. A new story campaign, new game modes (break the targets!), and some newcomers obviously.

Starting from scratch or making a 3D game isn’t going to make people happy.

Also, here’s hoping either the next Fire Emblem or Xenoblade have a black lead they can add 🤞
Next mainline Mario can add a black girl too, Smash can skip Pauline for now for her.

Happy to see SmashERA make it here. The OT is one of the very few reasons why I still lurk over there.

Would be interesting if the next "Smash" game is single-player only revisit of the Subspace Emissary concept. Except the gameplay and physics would be completely designed to better serve the campaign. I just want another chance to have an adventure where Nintendo characters from various franchises interact with each other in cutscenes.

...now I need to re-watch the all Subspace Emissary cutscenes again.
We want Brawl 2

Back
Top Bottom