• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i looks much much worse than any ndcube game
4155851-supermariorpg_scrn_04.jpg

MPS_Cheep_Cheep_Chase.jpg

1200px-Spotlight_Swim_-_Mario_Party_Superstars.png

9de6eee19ae3804f2dd359d56a533dbd897e15f65b18ca5c83f3a0753fb92cec

Minigame_LeafLeap-1024x576.jpg

nintendo-direct-super-mario-rpg-remake.jpg

1200px-Vine_with_Me_-_Mario_Party_Superstars.png

9abd4-16873573694100-1920.jpg

800px-MPS_Boulder_Ball.png
I mean it should be fairly obvious that whoever is developing this is pushing a visual style that's got to be faithful to the original game and so the art direction for this is quite different the Party series.

At the moment for me this could be NdCube or Camelot. Camelot are small but, as someone else has probably already pointed out, they have both RPG experience and plenty of experience with Super Mario.

Since we know Toad OCs are kept, the three non-negotiable things we need for the Mario RPG remake are the alternative endings to the wedding event (which I feel good they’ll keep), when Mario has to be held back from violence, and every sassy dialogue response option. We get those and we’re good lol.

Incidentally, just as we needed the Honey Bee Inn in FF7 Remake, we need the scene of Cloud riding a dolphin 200 feet in the air depicted in glorious 4K graphics for Rebirth lol.
They showed the scene of Bowser yelling at Mario that only he's allowed to kidnap Peach in the reveal trailer. I would be shocked if any of the games goofy moments are cut.

They showed the scene of Bowser yelling at Mario that only he's allowed to kidnap Peach in the reveal trailer. I would be shocked if any of the games goofy moments are cut.
I’m feeling pretty good this is very faithful from the trailers and is being handled with immense care (down to stuff like Peach’s Castle matching the overworld for example). They showed far more of the game than I would have expected which really gave a great sense about what’s the same and what’s been tweaked. Biggest unknown left is the script, but it’s super beloved so I can’t imagine they’d touch too much of it. Only a slight worry on the content that seems a bit spicy for Nintendo today, but eh probably good.

I’m feeling pretty good this is very faithful from the trailers and is being handled with immense care (down to stuff like Peach’s Castle matching the overworld for example). They showed far more of the game than I would have expected which really gave a great sense about what’s the same and what’s been tweaked. Biggest unknown left is the script, but it’s super beloved so I can’t imagine they’d touch too much of it. Only a slight worry on the content that seems a bit spicy for Nintendo today, but eh probably good.
We already know they're using Peach instead of Toadstool from the combat clip of her in the party. I think the biggest question is the Japanese script, as there were more blatant pop culture references to things like Sailor Moon and JoJo.

I'm actually curious about the German script, it's the first time the game is in German. Which direction will it take? Based on past Nintendo localizations I guess it will be translated from Japanese (except FE most Nintendo games are directly from Japanese). But I trust Nintendo's German localizations.

We already know they're using Peach instead of Toadstool from the combat clip of her in the party. I think the biggest question is the Japanese script, as there were more blatant pop culture references to things like Sailor Moon and JoJo.
Ooh didn’t catch that with Peach. I’m cool with that. Also that’s amazing they had anime/manga references in there in the original script. Would love to learn more one day.

Just wanted to say that as a younger person this is exactly how i feel about this game lol

Also shoutout to PeanutButterGamer he's a cool fella

Ooh didn’t catch that with Peach. I’m cool with that. Also that’s amazing they had anime/manga references in there in the original script. Would love to learn more one day.
Fwiw there is a relocalization hack

So if you'd like to replay the game to see what a potential redone/more faithful translation would have looked like here you go.

I had a guy message me on Facebook I haven't talked to in probably 20+ years send me this trailer and be like "Yeah I saw this and thought of you" -- if you need some context about how much of a Mario RPG nut I was, lol.

European translations will probably be based on the original Japanese script. At least the Italian translation of Link's Awakening Switch (which back in the day wasn't translated in Italian and Spanish, just French and German) was.

I imagine Square mandated that nothing important would be cut from the game when they agreed to do the remake. That's why everything is intact. I wonder if this could impact Paper Mario in the future though....

I think we might be underestimating the sales potential this game might have. It didn't sell any super impressive numbers on the SNES(as it was released late in its life) but it surely have got a cult following. Not only that but the game is super popular on the emulation scene(living in a overexploited country I know that it's one of the key games to come on those "100 games on a disk" and it was always on most downloaded roms of the roms websites). And we also add the fact that it's gonna be a holiday, pre-black Friday launch, on the year that the Mario franchise is at its peak due to the movie. I think it'll sell super well and well above the usual roof of Mario RPGs.

Wokeness has claimed Nintendo:

I played a good bit of this game but never beat it. I was a Mario RPG kid who loved paper Mario and M&L around 2008-9 and I tried it on Wii VC but it was a bit aged for me to get into. As I got older I was able to get into more retro games, including even Square’s other SNES RPG classics FF6 and Chrono Trigger, but I never went back to it.

This remake just ignited a spark in me that I’d been missing for so long. It’s hitting me that there’s a Mario RPG with unique OCs and story that I’ve just never finished and now it looks modern which just feels surreal. Sure I know the gist of it just from being online in gaming communities but so much of the nitty gritty will be new for me. It feels insane to see something like this and I’m genuinely more excited for this than I am when a brand new Paper Mario game is announced. I’m so happy that this will probably finally scratch that itch that I’ve been missing from Mario for so long 😭
Yeah, I've been saying that the two big things missing for me on Switch is a traditional Mario RPG and a new DK. A SMRPG remake is good enough for me to count it as the former. If we get the latter, I will forgive Nintendo forever, until the next time they screw up.

Here's a good article about it:

I imagine Square mandated that nothing important would be cut from the game when they agreed to do the remake. That's why everything is intact. I wonder if this could impact Paper Mario in the future though....

There's no need for making up baseless conspiracies. Nintendo doesn't typically touch remakes like that, we've had 2 mario and Luigi remakes and now this that didn't do anything of the sort.

However, It also means nothing for future games in the Paper Mario series, or any other Mario RPG series for that matter, for the same reasons.

My hot take is I hope they redo the localization from scratch because Ted Woolsey scripts are only good by the standards of "it was the 90's and everything else was barely comprehensible while this was written by a native English speaker". At the very least they're going to fix all the weird Mario-related errors like Nok Nok Shell, but I hope they go further.

My hot take is I hope they redo the localization from scratch because Ted Woolsey scripts are only good by the standards of "it was the 90's and everything else was barely comprehensible while this was written by a native English speaker". At the very least they're going to fix all the weird Mario-related errors like Nok Nok Shell, but I hope they go further.
Same. Though a part of me hopes they retain Exor's mouth being called "Neosquid", just for the hell of it.

It'd be kinda funny.

EDIT: Also keep Toad's "left my bazooka at home" line and Mallow's Bruce Lee mention. That's all.

Last edited:
For those of you who buy games on Amazon for release-day shipping, do they normally do a good job of making that deadline? Or should I stick with my Best Buy in-store pickup preorders?
It's a crapshoot. Sometimes I get it day one, sometimes not until the following Monday or Tuesday, if not later.

For those of you who buy games on Amazon for release-day shipping, do they normally do a good job of making that deadline? Or should I stick with my Best Buy in-store pickup preorders?
Amazon delivered Final Fantasy yesterday, but I haven't used them enough times to have a good sample size.

Canadian prime user here. They ship their games day of release, which , means you may get it the next day from their contract delivery drivers if you are luckly. They usually give me a 2-3 day shipping wait when i put in an order, and i've never held on a to a pre-order that long to see if that's actually what happens or if they end up shipping them to me sooner. I usually just avoid the hassle and pre-order for pickup at Bestbuy or Gamestop. In both cases, i can just pick up day of release and i get to go to the mall for a change.

Like others have said, it's a crapshoot.

I've pretty much given up on preordering online because I don't trust it

It's a crapshoot. Sometimes I get it day one, sometimes not until the following Monday or Tuesday, if not later.

they pissed me off so much with TOTK that I said "**** it" and went digital

Amazon delivered Final Fantasy yesterday, but I haven't used them enough times to have a good sample size.

Canadian prime user here. They ship their games day of release, which , means you may get it the next day from their contract delivery drivers if you are luckly. They usually give me a 2-3 day shipping wait when i put in an order, and i've never held on a to a pre-order that long to see if that's actually what happens or if they end up shipping them to me sooner. I usually just avoid the hassle and pre-order for pickup at Bestbuy or Gamestop. In both cases, i can just pick up day of release and i get to go to the mall for a change.

Like others have said, it's a crapshoot.

I've pretty much given up on preordering online because I don't trust it
Thank you for all the feedback! I used to preorder from Amazon all the time but post-COVID they have definitely become more inconsistent with their delivery. In-store pickup it is! Nobody's stopping me from playing Mario Wonder and Mario RPG day one, haha

Wokeness has claimed Nintendo:

Yeah, I've been saying that the two big things missing for me on Switch is a traditional Mario RPG and a new DK. A SMRPG remake is good enough for me to count it as the former. If we get the latter, I will forgive Nintendo forever, until the next time they screw up.

Here's a good article about it:

Thanks for sharing the article! I enjoyed it a lot :)

Which character is Geno and why do people want him in Smash?
Geno is the doll character with the blue hat/cape. He has a not too deep, but good enough story and presence. The main thing is he’s just pretty darn cool as most of his attacks see his arms shoot out bullets and rockets and his specials have him shooting lasers, throwing DBZ-like Destructo Disks, and raining down rainbow death beams from the sky. They actually show the latter in the trailer.

here is question, will the Link and Samus cameos still be in?
Seems like a lock! In Booster Tower if you look at Booster’s toy box there’s a Samus doll in there that I never knew about because of how pixelated it was originally.

Geno is the doll character with the blue hat/cape. He has a not too deep, but good enough story and presence. The main thing is he’s just pretty darn cool as most of his attacks see his arms shoot out bullets and rockets and his specials have him shooting lasers, throwing DBZ-like Destructo Disks, and raining down rainbow death beams from the sky. They actually show the latter in the trailer.

He's the Boba Fett of Super Mario. Fans basically invented a personality for him because he doesn't really have one in the game.
Ah okay. I thought it was the little white puffy character but then I saw he's called Mallow and was greatly confused as to where "Geno" came from.

It will be interesting to see how this new translation pans out.

This will be the first time this game gets a retranslation since the Ted Woolsey days.

Aesthetics went from a subtle pop-up book (64)/comic book-esc (TTYD/SPM) artstyle to hyper-realistic arts and crafts.
You would not care about or notice this if Arlo or whoever didn't make a video about it.

It's "paper" Mario. When did everyone start caring that things are paper-themed? Seriously have not heard this complaint ever until relatively recently.

Design wise everything underwent the NSMB-homogenization due to the brand mandate, especially the characters.
What brand mandate?

Gameplay wise literally everything is different. Complete removal of series defining mechanics (partners, badges, HP/FP/SP systems).
Oh I get it. You just want the first two games in the series again.

Battles completely different. No EXP systems/leveling.
Battles have been completely different for every single game since the first two games.

Level design pivoted towards puzzle solving.
As opposed to what? Walking in a line from left to right? What kind of complaint is this

Writing is different with a shift to meta-humor and constant paper jokes.
No idea what you're talking about.

Plots are smaller in scope and less original.
No idea what you're talking about

It sounds like you just want Paper Mario / TTYD again, which is an extremely tired take.

Enough random TOK bashing. TOK was a fantastic game and the longer you keep ignoring that the more annoying it gets for the rest of us

People really see the UD Shin Go NT font and immediately think "NDcube made this"

People really see the UD Shin Go NT font and immediately think "NDcube made this"
The idea that ndcube is behind this is hilarious. They are a fine developer, but they make stuff like Mario Party and Clubhouse games. Remaking an rpg is really outside of their wheelhouse.

Also this is Squares game so I don't see why a Nintendo affiliate would be making this. I'd imagine it's some leads from Square Enix plus an external developer they've contracted to most of the development work.

You would not care about or notice this if Arlo or whoever didn't make a video about it.

It's "paper" Mario. When did everyone start caring that things are paper-themed? Seriously have not heard this complaint ever until relatively recently.
I disliked the aesthetic as soon as I saw watched announcement trailer for Color Splash in 2016. It's pretty presumptuous to say I got my opinion from an eceleb.
What brand mandate?
The brand mandate that clamped down on creating original characters or designing nonconformist looks for traditional Mario characters, like Toads/Goombas/Koopas/etc. An IP restriction that was confirmed by multiple insiders like Aquamarine, journalists like Imran Khan, and even Nintendo themselves:
Mario is famous for its iconic cast of villains. Can you talk about the new villain in this game and how you design a character to stand alongside all-time greats like Bowser and Kamek?

Tanabe:
Since Paper Mario: Sticker Star, it’s no longer possible to modify Mario characters or to create original characters that touch on the Mario universe. That means that if we aren’t using Mario characters for bosses, we need to create original characters with designs that don’t involve the Mario universe at all, like we’ve done with Olly and the stationery bosses.
Granted, we don't know the specifics. It doesn't seems to apply as much to internally developed games (like Odyssey and Wonder) since they're full of original designs. But even then, those games aren't modifying the base designs of existing characters like Toads/Goombas/Koopas etc, so perhaps that's still off limits. My best guess is external developers can't create original characters that "touch on" (i.e. resemble) the Mario universe, but internal developers can. And modifying the the base designs for generic characters is off limits for everyone.

This SMRPG remake not altering the road designs is very interesting now. Maybe they've loosened the restrictions or aren't applying it as strongly to remakes.

Regardless the result is the same: For the development of Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Origami King they were not allowed to create original characters or alter existing ones. This fact has been confirmed by the developers multiple times. And that's a huge downgrade compared to the creativity of the original PM games.
Oh I get it. You just want the first two games in the series again.
Yes. They were the best ones.
Battles have been completely different for every single game since the first two games.
Yes and that's my point. The Sticker Star Trilogy has diverged so much from the original games that they have almost nothing in common at this point.

SPM had a different battle system but still retained a lot of core elements with itsn predecessors that it still felt like it was in the same series. It had partners, leveling, cooking, similar aesthetics, the story, etc. Hell it even had a pit of 100 trials, there was a lot of continuity with elements and stylistic choices from past games.

In SS/CS/TOK everything else is different on addition to the battle system to the point where it's essentially a different (worse) series.
As opposed to what? Walking in a line from left to right? What kind of complaint is this
It's JRPG level design vs puzzle-focused action adventure level design.
No idea what you're talking about.
Replay the games, it's just a difference in writing/humor styles. I don't think TOK is poorly written and it has its moments. But I don't like the meta humor and paper jokes as much as the more traditional, less in-your-face comedy of the originals games.
No idea what you're talking about
Ask Tanabe, he outright says as much:
How do you make sure the story appeals to a broad audience? And what challenges does existing within the Mario franchise present to your writers?

Tanabe: In Super Paper Mario, the elaborate story led the game away from the Mario universe, so since Paper Mario: Sticker Star I’ve refrained from using stories that are too complicated.

It sounds like you just want Paper Mario / TTYD again, which is an extremely tired take.
I want a sequel to those games that improves and iterates upon their formula and style, correct. They were the best entries and the new games are a disappointing downgrade in every department.
Enough random TOK bashing. TOK was a fantastic game and the longer you keep ignoring that the more annoying it gets for the rest of us
Sorry for having an opinion. I dislike seeing a series I used to love become a shell of it's former shelf.

Last edited:
I disliked the aesthetic as soon as I saw watched announcement trailer for Color Splash in 2016. It's pretty presumptuous to say I got my opinion from an eceleb.

The brand mandate that clamped down on creating original characters or designing nonconformist looks for traditional Mario characters, like Toads/Goombas/Koopas/etc. An IP restriction that was confirmed by multiple insiders like Aquamarine, journalists like Imran Khan, and even Nintendo themselves:

Granted, we don't know the specifics. It doesn't seems to apply as much to internally developed games (like Odyssey and Wonder) since they're full of original designs. But even then, those games aren't modifying the base designs of existing characters like Toads/Goombas/Koopas etc, so perhaps that's still off limits. My best guess is external developers can't create original characters that "touch on" (i.e. resemble) the Mario universe, but internal developers can. And modifying the the base designs for generic characters is off limits for everyone.

This SMRPG remake not altering the road designs is very interesting now. Maybe they've loosened the restrictions or aren't applying it as strongly to remakes.

Regardless the result is the same: For the development of Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Origami King they were not allowed to create original characters or alter existing ones. This fact has been confirmed by the developers multiple times. And that's a huge downgrade compared to the creativity of the original PM games.

Yes and that's my point. The Sticker Star Trilogy has diverged so much from the original games that they have almost nothing in common at this point.

SPM had a different battle system but still retained a lot of core elements with itsn predecessors that it still felt like it was in the same series. It had partners, leveling, cooking, similar aesthetics, the story, etc. Hell it even had a pit of 100 trials, there was a lot of continuity with elements and stylistic choices from past games.

In SS/CS/TOK everything else is different on addition to the battle system to the point where it's essentially a different (worse) series.

Replay the games, it's just a difference in writing/humor styles. I don't think TOK is poorly written and it has its moments. But I don't like the meta humor and paper jokes as much as the more traditional, less in-your-face comedy of the originals games.

I want a sequel to those games that improves and iterates upon their formula and style, correct. They were the best entries and the new games are a disappointing downgrade in every department.

Sorry for having an opinion. I dislike seeing a series I used to love become a shell of it's former shelf.
You know I find it interesting because elaborate story isn't really a restriction put on the Mario games in my opinion. In pretty much every case it seems to be that Nintendo developers do not have a big interest in it and prefer to focus their efforts on the gameplay. Tanabe is one of the rare EPD producers that seems to care about stories in video games alongside Koizumi and I feel like the reason he decide to make simpler ones in Paper Mario going forward (just like Koizumi with 3D Mario) is by simple respect of what Miyamoto told him about it (altho it can be argued Origami King has an actually significant amount of story, and lore on its own, so who knows...).

There's bit of a common misconception on the whole "Koizumi snuck the Rosalina story behind Miyamoto's back" tidbit.

d87dae243b17e540341f0a9d4e8fd603.png

It IS true that Koizumi created Rosalina's backstory in his spare time without Miyamoto and the crew knowing...but the thing is, he did present it to Miyamoto and he didn't seem to actually mind it, which is why it was included in the final game.

You know I find it interesting because elaborate story isn't really a restriction put on the Mario games in my opinion. In pretty much every case it seems to be that Nintendo developers do not have a big interest in it and prefer to focus their efforts on the gameplay. Tanabe is one of the rare EPD producers that seems to care about stories in video games alongside Koizumi and I feel like the reason he decide to make simpler ones in Paper Mario going forward (just like Koizumi with 3D Mario) is by simple respect of what Miyamoto told him about it (altho it can be argued Origami King has an actually significant amount of story, and lore on its own, so who knows...).
Agreed. Koizumi and Tanabe are some of the bigger producers that care about stories.

TOK has the best/most elaborate story out of all the nu-Paper Mario games. It just has other foundational issues, like the lack of partners.

There's bit of a common misconception that Koizumi "snuck the Rosalina story behind Miyamoto's back".

d87dae243b17e540341f0a9d4e8fd603.png

It IS true that Koizumi created Rosalina's backstory in his spare time without Miyamoto and the crew knowing...but the thing is, he did present it to Miyamoto and he didn't seem to actually mind it, which is why it was included in the final game.
I feel like Miyamoto gave him a favor because he didn't want all the hard work he did to go down the bin. If we do try to look a bit more on Miyamoto's thoughts on story, he doesn't seem to actually mind them as long as they... well don't get any kind of elaborate stuff to them. But we do have multiple interviews/BTS stuff indicating he probably thinks of more elaborate ones as a burden on pure gameplay-concentrated experiences, which, I guess could be argued is true. It has to be able to be resumed in two or three lines and that's it. I personally would take simple stories with a hint of complexity, but a lot of the time, it amounts to Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, go save her (which I'm glad they're moving away from after the movie with the Peach game and Wonder)

I feel like Miyamoto gave him a favor because he didn't want all the hard work he did to go down the bin. If we do try to look a bit more on Miyamoto's thoughts on story, he doesn't seem to actually mind them as long as they... well don't get any kind of elaborate stuff to them. But we do have multiple interviews/BTS stuff indicating he probably thinks of more elaborate ones as a burden on pure gameplay-concentrated experiences, which, I guess could be argued is true. It has to be able to be resumed in two or three lines and that's it. I personally would take simple stories with a hint of complexity, but a lot of the time, it amounts to Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, go save her (which I'm glad they're moving away from after the movie with the Peach game and Wonder)
I feel like some Nintendo fans overthink what Miyamoto is actually thinking lol

Folks.

This is Super Mario RPG. One of the best things it has going for it is that it’s NOT Paper Mario and doesn’t have Paper Mario’s baggage. Stop trying to bring it in here.

We’ve seen enough of the trailer to know what this game looks like and plays like. Any concerns about Paper Mario are not relevant to this game.

The thing is that absolutely no one can call the Rosalina thing a complex story or one that gets in the way of gameplay though. It is in fact the polar opposite of both of those things and I know some folks who flat out never engaged with it due to not knowing about it, so it is super weird for people to think Miyamoto was against it.

There is no "Sticker Star trilogy." People need to quit acting as if Sticker Star by itself is to blame for Paper Mario's current trajectory and the deaths of pets the world over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom