• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember reading that in the Japanese version, Culex, as a two-dimensional being, challenges Mario to better understand the three-dimensional world or something. If anything, I expect the remake to lean into that like Culex won’t even have a 3D model. He’ll be the only character in the game to be sprite-based.
Yeah, if they don't adhere to my base desire to bring back that original SNES sprite to make it even more hilarious, they'll probably just give him the "Pixel Remaster treatment".

Which would be apt, yet funny, if the TOSE guess pans out, considering TOSE worked on those games, too!

I saw that analysis video last night. I didn't know about the Japanese website explaining some of the combat changes, so that's cool. I really hope he's right that those animations are some sort of limit break party attack you get for filling the circular gauge.

He also points out that the chain bonuses are affected by the circular gauge if I'm understanding him right. At 30% gauge the bonuses were small, then medium at 60%. Could add a layer of strategy when to use party attacks if emptying the gauge on use also reduces the chain bonuses. Unless the party attack just auto-activates at 100%.

I wonder if each character's animation is a unique attack that you select and each has a different effect, or if it's like those nopon party attacks in Xenoblade Future Connected where the lead attacker of the animation is random.

I've never got too far into Mario RPG. Honestly didn't like it that much back then, always wanted to give it another try but never got to it.

I wonder if I should buy the remake or just play the original on the SNES classic.

PapaGeno brings a point in his analysis video that I thought was interesting: the pixelated blob that was Booster's toy box having all of the references in it made clear for the first time lends credence to the idea that there's members of the original team involved in this (as well as all of the concept art we've suddenly had unearthed in recent years).

it's that really evidence or is that just the dev team being faithful to the original design?

it's that really evidence or is that just the dev team being faithful to the original design?

Like I said, the toy box was a pixelated blob in the original. I don’t think anyone had picked up on those references until now, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to figure them out unless you had someone who knew there.

Yeah like, look at the original sprite, I think it's nearly impossible (if not completely) to tell what the things on it are supposed to be without the hindsight that the remake gives us on what is within the box.
There's other things like how Valentina and Exor specifically have details taken from their in-game sprites instead of the sligthly inaccurate 3D promo art too that makes me feel like the folks involved might be ''people who were there making those choices.''

Like I said, the toy box was a pixelated blob in the original. I don’t think anyone had picked up on those references until now, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to figure them out unless you had someone who knew there.
Either Square Enix or Nintendo has likely had the designs archived for decades. Whoever is working on this game could have just referenced those.

they could have always have the original design documents to reference from

Either Square Enix or Nintendo has likely had the designs archived for decades. Whoever is working on this game could have just referenced those.

they could have always have the original design documents to reference from

Kazuyuki Kurashima holding onto a bunch of the art he drew for it has me not so sure either company would have a lot of those documents archived, but it's possible.

Kazuyuki Kurashima holding onto a bunch of the art he drew for it has me not so sure either company would have a lot of those documents archived, but it's possible.
The design documents being archived doesn't mean individual staff wouldn't have their own copies.

Pre order lock and loaded (This last Nintendo direct made me to pre order 3 games at the same time, first time I do this).

Very excited for this release, it even release when cold starts kicking in , to be able to have calm , cozy play sessions on Saturdays with coffee on hand. I will give the original another playthrough in my SNES Classic just for the sake of it.

I vaguely remember reading that in the Japanese version, Culex, as a two-dimensional being, challenges Mario to better understand the three-dimensional world or something. If anything, I expect the remake to lean into that like Culex won’t even have a 3D model. He’ll be the only character in the game to be sprite-based.
Culex will be in 2D-HD

Few days ago, we saw a few reactions to English-speaking streamers to this news from last week

Found a nice one that compiles some from the Japanese side of things!

Amazon JP has some new screenshots, including our first look at Frogfucius!

Fza-SUf5ag-AAg-Pli-1.jpg

I still can’t believe this game is real. I literally pinched myself this morning to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

Are we feeling good about additional content? I’d love a 6th party member or the ability to switch Mario out! Could add an additional fold into the strategy!

I've always been wondering why it took this long for Square-Enix and Nintendo to tackle another RPG project, but this got me wondering...

What if the Super Mario RPG remake is merely a presedent for a proper Super Mario RPG 2? And for the successor console at that?

Perhaps a brand new approach to the genre, a la, Xenoblade, would work for the series (open-world with emphasis on platforming.), and given Monolithsoft's experience with helping assist in developing Nintendo's own 1st party titles, I can imagine Nintendo "lending them out" to Square-Enix for a supposed Xenogears remastered in exchange for exclusive releases on their own platform, a new Super Mario RPG installment being one of them. The remake is simply to reintroduce the franchise to a new generation, with the real sequel being a proper follow-up as opposed to Mario & Luigi/the Paper Mario franchises.

Plus, it can poke fun at the current trends at Square-Enix. Tetsuya Nomura enemy designs and ooutfits for Mario & gang? Sign me up! The FFXVI director deciding to put next-gen cameos in a Mario game from out of nowhere? Why not? New, even more bizarre original characters in the Super Mario RPG universe? Deifinitely!

I mean, anyone can dream right?

I still can’t believe this game is real. I literally pinched myself this morning to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

Are we feeling good about additional content? I’d love a 6th party member or the ability to switch Mario out! Could add an additional fold into the strategy!
I am not expecting much, but I would love to be surprised. I will be very curious about the changes to the battle system though, seems to have a combo mechanic now.

Sure, but is it really that baffling of an opinion to respond with a bunch of question marks as if you can’t comprehend how someone could have a different opinion on that matter? That’s why I replied to echo the sentiment.

Yes??

They're not baffled that someone could have a different opinion on the matter. They're baffled at the specific opinion stated. And yes, it is a... super unusual opinion to have that justifiably receives questioning.

"Wasn't a fan of the character designs" is understandable, but "the character designs are terrible", stated as a fact, such that they're confused as to why people are excited about the game.

Honestly I'm just as baffled as to why you take such offense to "??????" in response to such an opinion.

Quoted by: Tye
My favorite reaction montage edit:

I do wonder how much new stuff they will put in the new game. A new area perhaps? Or is this remake a 1:1 recreation with some QoL systems in place for people unfamiliar with RPGs?

Yes??

They're not baffled that someone could have a different opinion on the matter. They're baffled at the specific opinion stated. And yes, it is a... super unusual opinion to have that justifiably receives questioning.

"Wasn't a fan of the character designs" is understandable, but "the character designs are terrible", stated as a fact, such that they're confused as to why people are excited about the game.

Honestly I'm just as baffled as to why you take such offense to "??????" in response to such an opinion.
Who said it was being stated as an objective fact? It was an opinion, a normal one, and one that I’ve heard from many others besides myself—a lot of the original character designs in SMRPG are just weird and off-putting. They don’t really fit in with the Mario series. Some people like them for that reason, and I’ll never understand the appeal of that, but whatever—it’s very much the opposite for me.

Sometimes I just like to jump in and defend an unpopular opinion (or at least one that’s seen as such in enthusiast online spaces like this) that I share, especially when people respond in such a way that implies it’s such a weird, unusual opinion to hold. There’s nothing wrong or weird about not finding the original character designs in this game appealing. I dunno if I would use the word “terrible” to describe them overall myself, but I certainly find a lot of them to be ugly, and I do think they’re terrible at fitting in with the Mario series. And it’s one thing if the whole point for them is for them to not quite fit in, for example the characters and locations outside of the Mushroom Kingdom in games like Super Mario Odyssey, or characters that are essentially alien to the Mario series like stuff from The Origami King, but in a game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom and is therefore supposed to be Mario’s usual world, the SMRPG designs stick out like a sore thumb—and in a bad way, to me.

Also, I could ask you the same question; why do you care so much about me questioning a post that honestly comes across as pretty rude and dismissive to a normal opinion (and has zero effort put into it, at that)? Anyway, I really don’t care that much, but like I said, I like to echo opinions seen as unpopular that I share, because I’d rather do that most times than post the same general opinion that everyone else holds, even if I agree. That’s not interesting, nor does it add anything new, but backing an “unpopular” opinion at least gives more visibility to less common perceptions.

Who said it was being stated as an objective fact? It was an opinion, a normal one, and one that I’ve heard from many others besides myself—a lot of the original character designs in SMRPG are just weird and off-putting. They don’t really fit in with the Mario series. Some people like them for that reason, and I’ll never understand the appeal of that, but whatever—it’s very much the opposite for me.

Sometimes I just like to jump in and defend an unpopular opinion (or at least one that’s seen as such in enthusiast online spaces like this) that I share, especially when people respond in such a way that implies it’s such a weird, unusual opinion to hold. There’s nothing wrong or weird about not finding the original character designs in this game appealing. I dunno if I would use the word “terrible” to describe them overall myself, but I certainly find a lot of them to be ugly, and I do think they’re terrible at fitting in with the Mario series. And it’s one thing if the whole point for them is for them to not quite fit in, for example the characters and locations outside of the Mushroom Kingdom in games like Super Mario Odyssey, or characters that are essentially alien to the Mario series like stuff from The Origami King, but in a game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom and is therefore supposed to be Mario’s usual world, the SMRPG designs stick out like a sore thumb—and in a bad way, to me.

Also, I could ask you the same question; why do you care so much about me questioning a post that honestly comes across as pretty rude and dismissive to a normal opinion (and has zero effort put into it, at that)? Anyway, I really don’t care that much, but like I said, I like to echo opinions seen as unpopular that I share, because I’d rather do that most times than post the same general opinion that everyone else holds, even if I agree. That’s not interesting, nor does it add anything new, but backing an “unpopular” opinion at least gives more visibility to less common perceptions.
I don't think the user in question took offense to my question marks, but I do take offense to it being called rude. If a string of question marks about a video game opinion are rude, then that makes me reconsider discussing anything on this website.

And it’s one thing if the whole point for them is for them to not quite fit in, for example the characters and locations outside of the Mushroom Kingdom in games like Super Mario Odyssey, or characters that are essentially alien to the Mario series like stuff from The Origami King, but in a game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom and is therefore supposed to be Mario’s usual world, the SMRPG designs stick out like a sore thumb—and in a bad way, to me.
If this matters to you (and I can respect it cause this can matter to me too), the enemies called ugly are in fact from an entirely different dimension. Not the usual Mushroom Kingdom

Also, I could ask you the same question; why do you care so much about me questioning a post that honestly comes across as pretty rude and dismissive to a normal opinion (and has zero effort put into it, at that)?

You said "people are allowed to have opinions" as if responding "?????" is so oppressive and harsh that it's literally saying someone is not allowed to have an opinion. If that's your idea of defending an unpopular opinion I have no idea why you're going about it that way.

I don't think the user in question took offense to my question marks, but I do take offense to it being called rude. If a string of question marks about a video game opinion are rude, then that makes me reconsider discussing anything on this website.
I said it came across that way to me. Sorry. It’s not like you added any context or anything, so it’s entirely vague and up to interpretation. I wasn’t sure exactly what your intent was, but the one thing that did seem clear to me was that you were questioning how someone could have such an opinion as if it’s ridiculous. But again no effort was put into the post to give any kind of context, so it could be read any number of ways. In hindsight I shouldn’t have even put the effort into replying to it, clearly.

If this matters to you (and I can respect it cause this can matter to me too), the enemies called ugly are in fact from an entirely different dimension. Not the usual Mushroom Kingdom
Okay, well see I’ve not played the game myself yet (but I fully intend to), but I guess knowing that helps a bit, lol. Though surely it doesn’t extend to all the original characters I find unappealing, because there are non-enemy characters that are ugly to me as well. =P

You said "people are allowed to have opinions" as if responding "?????" is so oppressive and harsh that it's literally saying someone is not allowed to have an opinion. If that's your idea of defending an unpopular opinion I have no idea why you're going about it that way.
Just as I must have misinterpreted that post, you’re very much misinterpreting mine. I don’t feel that strongly about it. I don’t think it was “oppressive” or that it’s saying someone isn’t allowed to have an opinion, and I have no idea why you’d think that from what I said. But I also have a tendency to come across more strongly to others than I really am (blame the neurodivergency), so I’m kinda used to be constantly misunderstood, for that reason and many others.

I am still pumped for this. It was one of the SNES games I was dying to get on the 3ds virtual console so to finally see it years later has been a treat. Didn't grow up with the original SNES version either so I doubt I'll have any complaints about the remakes style.

I'm relatively hyped for this one. I never really got around to playing the original, so I'm excited to see why this game and its characters are so loved by people. This also looks like one of those limited released by Nintendo that will be impossible to find in stores next year, so I'll be more than happy to have a copy on my shelf.

What if the Super Mario RPG remake is merely a precedent for a proper Super Mario RPG 2? And for the successor console at that?

I mean, anyone can dream right?

At this point, anything is possible. Certainly right now, there's a lot of unknowns when it comes to this remake.

For example: As have been quoted, one of SMRPG's directors, Chihiro Fujioka, has stated recently he would love to make a sequel (to the contrary, the other, Yoshihiko Maekawa, was quoted years ago saying that he wasn't as enthused with the idea). Of course, neither one of them being Square Enix employees or affiliates, as far as we know at this point in time(?), makes it even more interesting to ponder about. But at the very least, neither of them have been attributed to anything since 2021's Fantasian. You combine the timing of that with Fujioka's last known comments a year ago, and it just makes things interesting, in my opinion...

But at the very least, what I hope is that both SE and Nintendo see the potential here. The potential to reigniting SMRPG and then turning it into a full-blown franchise would be a very fruitful one. And you'd have to figure that taking into account whatever "mandates" Nintendo may have in place for Mario would make Disney's pre-reqs for KH look like utter child's play...

Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka spent the time following SMRPG working on the Mario and Luigi series; it's not like we didn't get to see what they would have done if they got the chance to make more Mario RPGs.

With how Nintendo wants one type of Mario title per console generation, a 2nd SMRPG would be the Switch 2’s sole Mario RPG game, since a probable SMRPG3 would be released for the Switch 3

I'm telling my kids that this was Mando:
Geno_Remake.jpg
And that this was Grogu:
Mallow_Remake.jpg

And that this was Yoda and Boba Fett:
SMRPG_Mallow_Artwork.png
Genosmrpg.png

Whoever it was that said Geno was basically the Mario series version of Boba Fett is directly responsible for this terrible post!

The glow ups are something else tho.

I'm relatively hyped for this one. I never really got around to playing the original, so I'm excited to see why this game and its characters are so loved by people. This also looks like one of those limited released by Nintendo that will be impossible to find in stores next year, so I'll be more than happy to have a copy on my shelf.
this is their black friday game. I don't see why this would be a limited release. it is an rpg, though, and that would do more to limit how many reprints it gets

this is their black friday game. I don't see why this would be a limited release. it is an rpg, though, and that would do more to limit how many reprints it gets

I'm pretty much new to Nintendo releases, so I assumed wrong with my previous post. I simply recalled having a little bit of problems finding Metroid Prime Remastered a few months ago.

Also, there was this 3D Mario collection I wanted to give a try at some point because someone told me Mario Galaxy was a must play and I couldn't find it anywhere. I later found out it was a strictly limited release.

I'm pretty much new to Nintendo releases, so I assumed wrong with my previous post. I simply recalled having a little bit of problems finding Metroid Prime Remastered a few months ago.

Also, there was this 3D Mario collection I wanted to give a try at some point because someone told me Mario Galaxy was a must play and I couldn't find it anywhere. I later found out it was a strictly limited release.
Metroid Prime's problem was that they underestimated demand. Mario 3D collection was stated from the start to be limited

Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka spent the time following SMRPG working on the Mario and Luigi series; it's not like we didn't get to see what they would have done if they got the chance to make more Mario RPGs.
True, but I think the key difference is that I might be to nice see what their brand of Mario RPGs would possibly look like with access to much better budgets, more resources and, perhaps most importantly, a team that was much better equipped for modern gaming development. And, hopefully, prepping a successor(s) to take over in the case that guys like Fujioka truly are ready to retire.

Plus, it sounds like Fujioka, if he got the chance to, was more interested in a game where the player was controlling only Mario again, instead of +Luigi and all the other additions that were added in over time in the Mario & Luigi saga. So, that much is already something different.

I think I'm with @SiG, in that the greatest appeal of a SMRPG2 for me would be a second chance to explore the "Mario meets Final Fantasy" premise that only SMRPG ever had going for it, for what I'd assume are some pretty obvious reasons.

Not a dig at the other successor RPG Mario series. They just fundamental can't be that, even when sharing some staff, and have had to do their own things(which usually meant playing up the silly times wackiness factor), for better or for worse depending on who you ask and when you ask it.

But a SMRPG where you get a Blue Mage type party member? Or a Bard/Dancer type? Or a Thief? Heck yeah that would be dope!

Really elaborate summons animations; Fakeout ending where you realize you are actually only at the halfway point of the story; The Mario gang gets an airship(!); optional card games you can spend most your time playing instead...

There's really a lot they still haven't tapped into with Mario x FF, without even touching cameos from more recent FF and Mario games, which obviously they'd do that too. But I know that at least for me, simply another Mario role playing game isn't what I'd be interested in just on it's own.

But SMRPG2? That's a whole other beast entirely. Potentially anyway.

A sequel so long after the fact... there's a lot of fan imagination and hype to live up to there. I wish them the best if they actually get the green light.

Kinda funny to think that Nintendo got Square Enix to make some Mario sports games, and also licensing their characters for the latter's Fortune Street games, before having them do another Mario RPG. Though at the time, I guess it made sense considering they had Paper Mario and M&L already, the latter having key staff that worked on SMRPG to begin with.

Behold, the most love SMRPG ever got before Smash 4. That and the Geno cameo in M&L.

I think I'm with @SiG, in that the greatest appeal of a SMRPG2 for me would be a second chance to explore the "Mario meets Final Fantasy" premise that only SMRPG ever had going for it, for what I'd assume are some pretty obvious reasons.

Not a dig at the other successor RPG Mario series. They just fundamental can't be that, even when sharing some staff, and have had to do their own things(which usually meant playing up the silly times wackiness factor), for better or for worse depending on who you ask and when you ask it.

But a SMRPG where you get a Blue Mage type party member? Or a Bard/Dancer type? Or a Thief? Heck yeah that would be dope!

Really elaborate summons animations; Fakeout ending where you realize you are actually only at the halfway point of the story; The Mario gang gets an airship(!); optional card games you can spend most your time playing instead...

There's really a lot they still haven't tapped into with Mario x FF, without even touching cameos from more recent FF and Mario games, which obviously they'd do that too. But I know that at least for me, simply another Mario role playing game isn't what I'd be interested in just on it's own.

But SMRPG2? That's a whole other beast entirely. Potentially anyway.

A sequel so long after the fact... there's a lot of fan imagination and hype to live up to there. I wish them the best if they actually get the green light.
At least they've already got the elaborate summon animations down. More of this please.

Hilarious, and I either learned something new, or remembered something I had long since forgotten.

The best I've found is someone recognising Samus and Diskun.

Haven't found anyone mentioning the Stunt Race FX cameo though,

Apparently new pics have been released in the Japanese website, but I wasn't sure which ones...

sec05_03.jpg

Kind of impressed with the reflections here. Really sells the environment based so heavily on the original. Like the feeling of seeing isomatric 3D for the first time, but you kind of imagined it feeling very rich in detail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom