• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

So is there any word on who voiced yoshi? Totaka wasn’t in the credits
Not yet. All I've found is articles pointing out that Yoshi is the only one not yet confirmed.

Makes me wonder though, since Yoshi's voice was just plugged in by Totaka because he was the sound person (iirc), was he ever actually officially credited as a voice actor on any of the Mario games?

Finished this this morning! Was a delight all the way through, but am I the only one that
was expecting remixed versions of every level in the post game like 3D Land and 3D World? It’s left me feeling a little sad and disappointed as in my head as I beat the final boss, I thought I was roughly half way through

Also, that
Invisible section was making me so anxious. I ended up adding a second controller and using the character with the crown above their head (and still struggled with the very last section)

Finished the game yesterday including the final final stage with all seeds and all 10 purple coins and got the final bonus.

This bonus felt like the proof that the team had a great time working on it (I recommand using it in a stage where the flag is set very high and get the top).
I loved all of this game and to paraphrase Bernie Sanders ; I'm once again asking for more.

This is also my favorite multiplayer Mario and I love this type of online coop ; it is typically Nintendo ; being able to thank players, using standees to serve as a safe spot... the music, the creativity, the humor, the graphics, the controls... It's so good ! Even the speaking flowers were funny and they spoke french, it's so rare to hear french speaking characters in a Mario game ! Last time it was... Hotel Mario on the CDi (Smash Bros. doesn't count as it's only the announcer).

Mario in Wonderland / 10 (very original, I know).

@Symtendo
It was very tense for me too but I used the "Smileys" and dropped some standees to see where I was and it worked very well, the only part of the level I did without losing a life ^o^

Finished this this morning! Was a delight all the way through, but am I the only one that
was expecting remixed versions of every level in the post game like 3D Land and 3D World? It’s left me feeling a little sad and disappointed as in my head as I beat the final boss, I thought I was roughly half way through

Also, that
Invisible section was making me so anxious. I ended up adding a second controller and using the character with the crown above their head (and still struggled with the very last section)
I’m kinda glad they didn’t use remixed levels. It’s okay in moderation, but it comes off as lengthening the game for the sake of it. I wouldn’t have said no to them, but I like that every level is truly unique.

Just got to W3 and this game is beyond charming.

It really feels like a passion project by developers that know and love 2D Mario games <3

Okay, I went back and got the top of the flagpole, so I can now say I have done 100%. I used Yoshi to both make the stage easier and make it way easier to get the top of the flagpole.

The last badge is amazing.

It was very tense for me too but I used the "Smileys" and dropped some standees to see where I was and it worked very well, the only part of the level I did without losing a life ^o^
this is blowing my mind lol, wish I’d thought of that

Yep ^^. I died like just before the finish and an online player was waiting for me to jump on the pole and saved me when I had only 2 seconds left ^^.

I spammed the X button to thank him ^^.
Okay so I just beat that level. But I have yet to even go to Bowser's Castle, so I have a little bit left. Wasn't quite as Final as I think they probably meant for it to be 😅

Just played the online for the first time, this is a lot more fun than I expected. Running after other people in the puzzle levels trying to figure stuff out is great.

Wait, how is that possible? Doesn't unlocking it require you to finish every other level 100% first?
Edit: WAIT

My googling screwed me up. I was talking about the wrong level. I'm literally googling it again right now and can't find the name of it anywhere, everything's taking me to the level I said I did but actually didn't

No wonder I got the name wrong, hell 😅

Okay the level I just finished is the final level of Special World, which I cannot for the life of me find the name of, NOT the Final-Final Test Badge Marathon. That's what came up when I was searching for the last level of Special World but I remember that world had the word "Wonder" in it, which that obviously does not. So apparently there's a whole other last level that I didn't know about, which does require you 100% everything. Sorry. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That's the Final Test, the Final Final Test only unlocks after getting every Wonder Seed, large purple coin, and top of the flagpole on every level. Source: I spent an afternoon doing this.
Are you sure it wasn’t the Final Level with the Wonder effects? IIRC I got a cutscene after I beat Bowser since I had everything else.
Yeah yall're right, sorry, see my message immediately above yours 😅

hell of a thing though, to discover that there's an even harder level than Final Test Wonder Gauntlet (finally found the damn name) after burning through 30 lives on that sucker and damn well nearly camping my thumbs 😅

I beat the Final Test Wonder Gauntlet on my second try. Fun level though. I'm still going for 100%, just got world 6 and Petal Isles left.

Earlier with the online I helped a player find the path to the Gold Flag and that felt good. Even got a little heart when we both reached the flag at the same time.

I am in world 5 and even if I enjoy and can appreciate the changes and inventiveness of it, I can't get away with the feeling that the flatness of the difficulty curve is killing the game for me. There are a lot of new enemies that feel they have the potential to do so much more but because there is barely no challenge, you bypass them or use their gimmicks like is nothing. I totally agree with some users who said that the levels don't feel fleshed out enough here...

Just finished up world 2. The linking platform is such a cool mechanic, I wish it pops up again. As much as I love the Wonder Effects, I would also love longer levels that go ham with all the nifty new gameplay toys.

I guess this is unpopular, but I don’t really care about difficulty in Mario at all. I don’t need Mario to be challenging, I just need it to be fun, and Wonder delivers that in spades.

It’s an easy game, and I’m very happy that’s the case.

100% the game. It was a joy to play and a breath of fresh air for 2D Mario. Just what the series needed. They can only expand from here and take the next one to new heights.

I'm mostly done with World 5 now, and it's pretty dang awesome. Probably my favorite so far.

I skipped world 4 after reading some others in the thread praising world 5. It's interesting that they give you the choice to jump around after world 3. Are most people still just doing it in chronological order?

I'm mostly done with World 5 now, and it's pretty dang awesome. Probably my favorite so far.

I skipped world 4 after reading some others in the thread praising world 5. It's interesting that they give you the choice to jump around after world 3. Are most people still just doing it in chronological order?
I just went clockwise around the map, yeah. I like momentum and consistency 😅

World 4 is the best world IMO. The world design is great!

Holy shit this last Purple Coin in Dolphin Kick I is a fucking nightmare, probably the hardest thing I've done in this game so far and I've beaten the second to last Special level lol

I was literally a pixel off from reaching it on one attempt

So uh

DHbHeHN.jpg

This is the one yall've been talking about, huh?

Press X to use the emotes in midair to see where you are

uh

um

I beat it

and nothing happened?

aren't I supposed to get something for that? Like a badge or something?

Hey folks, we'll be recording the next episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club, and we'll be having a big segment on Super Mario Bros. Wonder. If you have any questions you'd like answered on the podcast (Wonder related or otherwise), post them on the thread before 1PM tomorrow!

I have been taking my time. I just made it to World 3. I am going back to W2 before going further because I don’t think I got the prompt for getting all the seeds, even if I have all green check marks for every level. What a great game. It feels nice to just get right into it and not have to really care about any story or mundane checklist to follow. I also think the pacing is incredible. The badge challenges and the mixing of difficulties is cool. Really impressed with this game, especially because I was extremely skeptical of a 2D Mario after Mario Maker 2.

im replaying some levels and ignoring the wonders now I have some thoughts.

some of the levels are way more fun without the wonder, especially in w3, a lot of the levels are brought down by the wonders.

I would highly recocmend going to play the last 3 levels of w3 with no wonder, its a surprisngly fun time if you havem't

Just beat the final-final level. Took me nearly 2 hours but I did it. Palms are sweaty. It's intense but in the end I felt like it was worth it. I could do those earlier sections in my sleep now.

Well, overall, this is a great game, some misgivings aside. Very excited for the future of 2D Mario.

Did you get the coins and the top of the flag pole? There should have been a road opened above the level if you did.

c10.png

I didn't hit the top of the flagpole because I was goddamn invisible 😭

All the guides just say "complete the level," they don't say anything about having to "complete" it the Jirard way 😩

The game itself is great but I'm not enjoying the couch co-op nearly as much as I hoped. The camera system does not feel right. Being the person who the camera isn't locked onto feels more like playing co-op as Tails in Sonic 2 than it did in the New Super Mario Bros. games.

If you have any questions you'd like answered on the podcast (Wonder related or otherwise), post them on the thread before 1PM tomorrow!
Thank you for the link! I’ll try to get some questions in.

Just finished world 3, what a delightful area. Dug a lot of the mechanics there too.

I am in world 5 and even if I enjoy and can appreciate the changes and inventiveness of it, I can't get away with the feeling that the flatness of the difficulty curve is killing the game for me. There are a lot of new enemies that feel they have the potential to do so much more but because there is barely no challenge, you bypass them or use their gimmicks like is nothing. I totally agree with some users who said that the levels don't feel fleshed out enough here...
There should have been like 2 or 3 more special worlds.

I guess this is unpopular, but I don’t really care about difficulty in Mario at all. I don’t need Mario to be challenging, I just need it to be fun, and Wonder delivers that in spades.
I agree with you. For me difficulty is just a cherry at the top of the cake especially if it was balanced. And if I want a challenging 2D platformer from Nintendo I have DKC games to fill the spot.

Otherwise don't really care about the easiness if the game is brilliant and if it's not "Kirby easy" lol. While Link to the Past is the hardest Zelda I've ever played and Link Between Worlds might be the easiest Zelda I've ever played, LttP is my least favorite 2D classic Zelda and LBW is my favorite 2D classic Zelda.

The game itself is great but I'm not enjoying the couch co-op nearly as much as I hoped. The camera system does not feel right. Being the person who the camera isn't locked onto feels more like playing co-op as Tails in Sonic 2 than it did in the New Super Mario Bros. games.
I feel like they should have given options for either cooperative multiplayer or competitive multiplayer. The former is basically what the game forces on you now with no interactions between players besides intentionally not reveiving a ghost or nabbing items. I'd have liked to see a special ruleset for the latter were you can grab, throw and groundpound each other like in the NSMB games. It would have also allowed for stealing the crown/camera via groundpounds that way.

Back
Top Bottom