• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

Finally I have beaten all the game, and with that, all 6 medals! Did the ultimate stage on the first go with all 10-flower coins and the Wonderful on the flag pole. I am so relieved that I didn't have to go through all of that again!

For me...

Basically what I did is, once the Bloomp inflates and starts flying right, I ran and jumped alongside it. Then I just held right and jump and just kept moving. I'd jump on a couple of green Bloomps and then I'd have enough momentum to hit the goal. You basically just have to have faith that you'll make it.

If you really get frustrated and can't do it, I highly recommend Yoshi. The flutter jump is a game changer. But I understand if you want to beat it "legit."

On that note, I finally grinded enough coins for all the Standees. So that's all medals done and game 100%. Wowie zowie.

Hard to say if the leap of faith is a good strategy if we do not know where we should jump from the Bloomp.

I would have used Yoshi if I ran out of lives, but I completed the level before that happened so I didn't. I used Daisy all the way through, from beginning to end.

Yeah, you cannot hold down 3 buttons at same time. I did use the spam X method but mostly to see where I am (get my bearing), before I start timing my next jump/bounce (which mean I can no longer spam X, at least until I'm bouncing stably and not bouncing off to the side at some dangerous angle)

But for the bloomps, I feel like there's not enough time to spam X, and in fact if I spam X, it just will make me lose focus, so instead I rely on the clouds to see where I am. After a few deaths I gradually get better at watching cloud patterns to figure out where I am and rely less on spamming X.
The cloud patterns is a good strategy, especially the first jump because the trickiest part for me is the pink Bloomp. The green ones I had to be careful but when land is near, I just held right and hope that I have enough air time to land of the platform. It didn't happen the first time though (it was an untimely wall jump from the ledge), but the second time is the real deal.

When it got to that point, I stopped dashing. I noticed too that I couldn't spam X while holding Y (even though I physically could, the emote wouldn't come up unless I let off the dash button) so I focused on methodically alternating between timing the jump button to launch off the bloomps then spamming X while at the peak of the jump, then hitting jump on the next bloomp, spamming X at the peak, rinse and repeat.

It feels really weird, don't get me wrong. And it's still tough, but nowhere near as tough as just guessing where I was on the screen.
That sounds like a good strategy but it's not something I can pull off given the limited air time each Bloomp have, so I had to move carefully to the right. At least the crossing was successful!

Thank you for reading.

Finished the game 100%, except the Special World. I've only finished one level there so far.

Not sure what this medal is I got at the end. I'm still missing a badge, maybe from the Special World. Also, I hope hitting every name in the credits isn't a thing

fun game... not the best 2D Mario, but definitely worth playing

@winstein i also used Daisy. I guess this game made me a Daisy fan? Wowie zowie, indeed…
Personally for me, the novelty of using Daisy is enough for me, because you don't see her playable in such a big game every day. It's what I wanted (and certainly, many others) for a long time, so it's natural that would take advantage of this opportunity from start to finish.

Here's hoping the future is bright for Daisy!

Thank you for reading.

Personally for me, the novelty of using Daisy is enough for me, because you don't see her playable in such a big game every day.
Yeah, pretty much why I picked her. Also she has the best reading of "WOWIE ZOWIE"

I used Mario during the main game, then for 100% used a mix of Luigi, Daisy and Yoshi, but mostly Daisy.

Finished the game 100%, except the Special World. I've only finished one level there so far.

Not sure what this medal is I got at the end. I'm still missing a badge, maybe from the Special World. Also, I hope hitting every name in the credits isn't a thing

fun game... not the best 2D Mario, but definitely worth playing
Credits is unrelated to 100%. The final badge is indeed in Special World.

707.jpg

Last edited:
Lol

final final special wonder turbo blah blah,.. I made it to the spring part and needed a break

...maybe tomorrow

just got a few levels done in the sunbaked desert and i must say, i was not looking forward to it as desert-themed anything is usually my least fave but, wow! sunbaked desert has really shocked me. every level i've played so far has been better than the first three worlds and those were all pretty great as well.

i remember reading some opinions that the last half of the game is not as enticing as the first few worlds so that's still in the back of my head but, i must say, i'm more excited to continue playing than i was in the first two worlds.

i've come across a few of the entrances to the special world and keep putting it off. did you guys play the special world at the end or just do however much you could whenever you came across it?

Last edited:
Just finished the game.
Holy moly what a ride. Of all the hundreds of games I've ever played, this one stands out as one of the most joyous and imaginative. The sheer wealth of ideas is astounding, and the whole thing is polished to a celestial shine.
It stands tall alongside the best of the series, and I don't say that lightly as I hold Mario Bros 3 and World in very high regard.
2D Mario is back, and after nearly 40 years, he's still among the best in the business.

And the way they made the end credits a fun level in its own right? Perfect sendoff.

just got a few levels done in the sunbaked desert and i must say, i was not looking forward to it as desert-themed anything is usually my least fave but, wow! sunbaked desert has really shocked me. every level i've played so far has been better than the first three worlds and those were all pretty great as well.

i remember reading some opinions that the last half of the game is not as enticing as the first few worlds so that's still in the back of my head but, i must say, i'm more excited to continue playing than i was in the first two worlds.

i've come across a few of the entrances to the special world and keep putting it off. did you guys play the special world at the end or just do however much you could whenever you came across it?
I left them for after I rolled credits. When I went back through the worlds for 100%, I would play them then.

i was not looking forward to it as desert-themed anything is usually my least fave but, wow! sunbaked desert has really shocked me.
Have the exact same thoughts. Since you could pick the order in which you tackle the latter 3 worlds, I decided to do the desert first because, like you, I don’t usually like that area theme. But Sunbaked is a legitimately fun area to play around in; I love all the secrets scattered in the overworld, and they really chuck in everything related to theming, like magical djinn palaces.

Surprised to hear that people think the latter half is weaker than first, because so far it’s been the opposite for me. And I already thought those first three worlds were a blast to play!

I've heard the opposite actually. The latter half being the best part of the game.

Finished it last night. Everything has already been said about this game.

I'm baffled by how they managed to keep surprises up until the last few levels. What a game.

I did NOT expect Metal Mario to come back. Escpecially with that cursed voice.

Finished World 4 which holds the distinct honor of being one of the few desert-themed areas I unequivocally love. The overworld hides a lot of nifty secrets, the white sand is gorgeous, and I like spraying water on the parched flowers.

Now onto World 6!

So... i tried my luck on that Final Badge Test level yesterday.

And it's prolly the worst thing i've ever played.

Had zero fun, lost a whooping 75 lives (~55 of them in the last area!!!), game didn't show me other players that i could've maybe used for help.
There's challenge, and there's straight up unfair bullshit. This level falls into the latter category.

The Invisibility badge is already stupid shit, the normal test levels for it are bullshit, but having the last part of that Final Badge Test be invisibility with jump positioning and timing is nothing but "beat it by pure luck you fuckers".
Or cheese it with a stand-in from another player around the end of the area.

Also, not putting a checkpoint there, before what's prolly the most frustrating piece of game Nintendo ever created, is another choice.
Whoever made this decision needs a high five, in the face, with a chair.

When you lose in this bullshit invisibility part, you gotta run through 3 areas again before arriving at that section again.
Three goddamn areas. Doesn't matter than one of them is likely the easiest part in the whole level.

I'm not going to try beating this bullshit again. It's a massive waste of time of my already very limited gaming time.

Before trying this level, i would've rated Wonder 9/10 if i had to. It's great, but there's a few things i've missed (only one Boo level!?!?).

This level though soured me so much on the whole game that i'd drop it by 2 points to 7/10. It's that bad. This level is basically the anti-thesis to the rest of the game.

To better undersand how utterly i despise this level, playing OG PAL N64 OoT's Water Temple is pure gaming joy compared to it.

Last edited:
So... i tried my luck on that Final Badge Test level yesterday.

And it's prolly the worst thing i've ever played.

Had zero fun, lost a whooping 75 lives (~55 of them in the last area!!!), game didn't show me other players that i could've maybe used for help.
There's challenge, and there's straight up unfair bullshit. This level falls into the latter category.

The Invisibility badge is already stupid shit, the normal test levels for it are bullshit, but having the last part of that Final Badge Test be invisibility with jump positioning and timing is nothing but "beat it by pure luck you fuckers".
Or cheese it with a stand-in from another player around the end of the area.

Also, not putting a checkpoint there, before what's prolly the most frustrating piece of game Nintendo ever created, is another choice.
Whoever made this decision needs a high five, in the face, with a chair.

When you lose in this bullshit invisibility part, you gotta run through 3 areas again before arriving at that section again.
Three goddamn areas. Doesn't matter than one of them is likely the easiest part in the whole level.

I'm not going to try beating this bullshit again. It's a massive waste of time of my already very limited gaming time.

Before trying this level, i would've rated Wonder 9/10 if i had to. It's great, but there's a few things i've missed (only one Boo level!?!?).

This level though soured me so much on the whole game that i'd drop it by 7 points to 7/10. It's that bad. This level is basically the anti-thesis to the rest of the game.

To better undersand how utterly i despise this level, playing OG PAL N64 OoT's Water Temple is pure gaming joy compared to it.
So outside of this level, how would you rate it from 1-10? I'm a little surprised people is having so much trouble with that particular part of the level.

Last edited:
This game is just magical. This is Mario, the king of videogames, back in full force. It's one of those rare games that make you feel like a kid again, just happy without a worry.

I see a lot of comparisons with SMB3, World and 3D World and all of them make sense, this is like the Mario team learning a little bit from all those decades of history and coming up with something familiar, but still absolutely fresh. It does remind me the most of SM World, which I suspect is because that was my first Mario game (and my first videogame ever, actually), and Wonder evokes the same magical feeling that it did when I experienced Mario for the first time. I think most people will find it more inspired by the Mario they played first, which is just wholesome.

I'm still at world 1 (it just keeps going and going!) and had to make this post after I played Cosmic Hoppos. I saw people saying they burned the best wonder seed very early in Piranha Plant Parade but I think Cosmic Hoppos' seed is just as good, I was surprised, then smiling, then laughing, then surprised again and laughing again, and when it ended, I just had to share this feeling here.

This is what I play videogames for.

Last edited:
I left them for after I rolled credits. When I went back through the worlds for 100%, I would play them then.
i'll probably do the same. though, i've not moved passed a level unless i 100%'d it haha.
Have the exact same thoughts. Since you could pick the order in which you tackle the latter 3 worlds, I decided to do the desert first because, like you, I don’t usually like that area theme. But Sunbaked is a legitimately fun area to play around in; I love all the secrets scattered in the overworld, and they really chuck in everything related to theming, like magical djinn palaces.

Surprised to hear that people think the latter half is weaker than first, because so far it’s been the opposite for me. And I already thought those first three worlds were a blast to play!
exactly! the overworld itself was just so cool and refreshing, i couldn't believe how open they made it. the little touches like some of the levels appearing out of a mirage, or under sand, were all so fun. the rhythm based level with the ninjas was so cute and fun to incorporate.

also...
I've heard the opposite actually. The latter half being the best part of the game.

i'm glad to hear you both think that isn't the case. i feel like i saw some people on here (not sure if this thread or another one) say that after they completed it, in less than 24 hrs mind you, they felt like the second half didn't live up to the first. idk!

The pre-"that level" score is in that post, too.
I agree that that section of the level is unforgiving, but I don't think it's bad enough to sour me on the level. It's imo fairly challenging despite it. Definitely not enough to sour me on the whole game.

Good news.

What a strange choice for a race. The level has a set scrolling speed. lol.

Feels like they practiced on level 1 to get used to the controls and then just went with whatever was in level 2 for the show. I know it’s not serious at all and I’m sure nobody in the audience cared, but I’d be shocked if Nintendo suggested that’s the level they race on.

What a strange choice for a race. The level has a set scrolling speed. lol.

Feels like they practiced on level 1 to get used to the controls and then just went with whatever was in level 2 for the show. I know it’s not serious at all and I’m sure nobody in the audience cared, but I’d be shocked if Nintendo suggested that’s the level they race on.
It was a strange choice lol. Though it definitely seems like Jimmy knows what he’s doing somewhat at least.

Finished World 6! Again I’m typically not a fan of volcanic areas but I love the idea delving deeper and deeper into the depths until you’re hitting ancient fossils and resurrecting them through Wonder effects. A lot of the badge challenges in this area are fun too! Overall I enjoyed World 4 more, but World 6 was pretty damn good too.

Now onto World 5, which is totally my aesthetic.

I've just finished the game. It's been a while since I posted here, and I purposely ignored this thread to have the most spontaneous experience possible. I don't know how popular this opinion will be, but I didn't enjoy Mario Wonder as much as I'd hoped, far from it.

My initial reaction was very positive and enthusiastic - I love Mario, and to me it felt like the renewal I'd been hoping for for years. However, I found the experience very frustrating, because I often had the impression that the game was being played without me.

Yes, there's always something happening on screen, it's inventive, it's original, but this inventiveness is much more something to be seen than experienced, in my opinion. There's a lot going on all the time, and it's almost completely unrelated to what the player is doing, as if he were a spectator to an overdose of interaction.

I'm glad the license is coming back, I'm glad it's a critical and commercial success even if I didn't doubt it too much, but for me the experience has been frustrating and I think the game will age much less well, for example, than Retro's Donkey Kong which seems to me to be a much more active and stimulating gaming experience, and I felt Mario WOnder was unfourtunately too often a relatively passive interactive show. But what I want from a video game is more of a gaming experience than an interactive cuddle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the game is bad or lacks quality. It just seems to offer something that isn't what I like, no matter how much I'd like to like it, no matter how beautiful it is, no matter how creative it is. I'm simply not getting enough enjoyment out of the game, and the innovations seem to be more about the packaging of the product than about my sense of progression, which may sound harsh, but that's how I really felt.

I've just finished the game. It's been a while since I posted here, and I purposely ignored this thread to have the most spontaneous experience possible. I don't know how popular this opinion will be, but I didn't enjoy Mario Wonder as much as I'd hoped, far from it.

My initial reaction was very positive and enthusiastic - I love Mario, and to me it felt like the renewal I'd been hoping for for years. However, I found the experience very frustrating, because I often had the impression that the game was being played without me.

Yes, there's always something happening on screen, it's inventive, it's original, but this inventiveness is much more something to be seen than experienced, in my opinion. There's a lot going on all the time, and it's almost completely unrelated to what the player is doing, as if he were a spectator to an overdose of interaction.

I'm glad the license is coming back, I'm glad it's a critical and commercial success even if I didn't doubt it too much, but for me the experience has been frustrating and I think the game will age much less well, for example, than Retro's Donkey Kong which seems to me to be a much more active and stimulating gaming experience, and I felt Mario WOnder was unfourtunately too often a relatively passive interactive show. But what I want from a video game is more of a gaming experience than an interactive cuddle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the game is bad or lacks quality. It just seems to offer something that isn't what I like, no matter how much I'd like to like it, no matter how beautiful it is, no matter how creative it is. I'm simply not getting enough enjoyment out of the game, and the innovations seem to be more about the packaging of the product than about my sense of progression, which may sound harsh, but that's how I really felt.
Huh... even though I disagree wholeheartedly, your take on the experience is very interesting. While true outside of some transformations, you're just witnessing wacky things happening on screen as the environment/level design changes, I don't agree that the game feels like a TV show. Nothing feels automated or the levels is playing out for you.

I am taking my time with this lol, just finishing World 5, so far its cool but World 4 is probably the best so far. Full of great ideas and wonder effects, and as others said makes a desert world actually really great. World 1 was a strong start and still going back to it to do some extra levels.

World 2 and 3(too short!) really is a mixed bag, and where it seems the wonder effects carry the level. World 5 a bit too but less so

I’m finishing up the 100% so doing the purple coin farm. I noticed the vids I watched for it using Parachute Cap. I don’t really like it so I went for Safety Bounce instead. Here’s a clean run I got:

I was shocked I never had to farm for purple coins. I managed to buy all the standees before I beat Bowser and I only replayed levels to 100% then. If I had a criticism, it would be that despite them saying they wanted to give people reasons to replay the levels, I didn’t really feel that. I’ve done everything. Compared to Odyssey where I still have plenty of outfits I haven’t bought all these years later and I played that extensively after getting all the moons. Odyssey also had the Luigi challenges and the time trials.

Petal Isles

Haven't done Special world yet

You know, I can really respect putting World 1 first. I hadn't seen the world map or anything pre-release, so I was absolutely shocked at how it just kept going and going and going. It's also got some pretty good level variety as well, I really liked the underground area with those dark swampy levels. I was actually pretty disappointed that none of the other world maps had the sense of scale that the first one did.

Back
Top Bottom