• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

You know, I can really respect putting World 1 first. I hadn't seen the world map or anything pre-release, so I was absolutely shocked at how it just kept going and going and going. It's also got some pretty good level variety as well, I really liked the underground area with those dark swampy levels. I was actually pretty disappointed that none of the other world maps had the sense of scale that the first one did.
My friend was telling me how he was partway through the second world but was finding the game too easy. I mentioned that by then he should’ve passed at least a few difficult levels that lead to even more challenging ones and he was shocked he could miss so much. Then the next day he realized he had totally misunderstood the map and was still just on world one the whole time.

Just beat it. Honestly the final level was a lot more fun than the final boss, though that's kind of reoccurring theme with the whole game I suppose.

But that was a good time. Definitely the best 2D Mario in a long time, even if I do miss "throw your little brother of a ledge" mechanics.

I'll probably just slowly chip away at getting 100% now here and there.

Lol, just yesterday morning I was thinking to myself "I don't think I'll bother to 100% the game".
Yesterday evening I was completing the game, and then completing the Special World.

And now here I am searching all the 10 coins and getting to the top of the flagpole of every level.

I'm not ready for this game to end, it was so fun. I wish it was longer. I feel NSMBU was a bit longer. But Wonder is probably now my favorite 2D Mario ever. And that's considering the big, BIG nostalgia love I have for SMB3.

Taking it slow so still on world 4 but blown away by the charm and creativity on display. Didn't expect to enjoy a desert themed world so much.

Okay, finished up world 5. It’s hands down my favorite area in the game, its aesthetic just hits hard and green goop is such a nifty mechanic. The fake doors are so funny too!

I’ve also done a couple levels in world 6, and so far I love the rock n’ roll tunes. But I’ll go and finish up what Special World levels I can before continuing.

Played through the first time around offline just because I wanted to experience it alone, which was a great experience and I'm glad I did it that way. But now that I'm going through all the levels to finish the game 100% I'm playing online and I'm really liking the different vibe it creates! I've had such a fun time showing people secrets and seeing other people help me find things as well. They really created something special with this system.

I havent rage quit a game in a while, but the final final level has some design that is straight up evil lol. But that feeling of trying one more time is addicting lol.

Okay, finished up world 5. It’s hands down my favorite area in the game, its aesthetic just hits hard and green goop is such a nifty mechanic. The fake doors are so funny too!

I’ve also done a couple levels in world 6, and so far I love the rock n’ roll tunes. But I’ll go and finish up what Special World levels I can before continuing.
Uh, world 6 is Deep Magma Bog.

the Shining Falls special world level pissed me off so much lol

On the path to 100%. Idk what's wrong with me; any game during its first playthrough I guess I'm just too conscious of the time it takes to finish or having enough time for what's next. Not just video games, it's everything. But going through these levels again this is fucking wonderful. Easily ties Yoshi's Island and the best 2D Mario, but if you don't count that one, then Wonder is easily the best 2D Mario. No question.

Oh you’re right, I meant the last part of Petal Isles, where you go to face Bowser

I love Bowser's trash talk before and after those.

"HAHAHAHA YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BEAT THIS!" to "Okay, i'm kinda impressed that you managed that."

in world 6 now and my switch still hasn't updated my activity log to show how many hours i've played. 😐

can't believe i'm almost done with it! starting to go into the mode where i don't want to play it because i don't want to finish it lol. does anyone else do that? delaying the inevitable.

also, as discussed before, idk WHO said the later half of this game is worse but they were soooo wrong. W4 is my fave so far but, W5 was so fun in its own right and W6 is shaping up to be just as interesting. can't wait for the final sprint but so scared of the special world.

just beat it.

It's difficult to even say anything about this game. I think it's the best 2D Mario I've ever played which probably makes it the best 2D platformer I've ever played. I'm a bit in shock now so I'm going to say that it's perhaps one of the best games (period) ever made. That simple. Super Mario Wonder is simply perfect from beginning to end and there are so many varieties, so many new things being presented with each new level that I'm really afraid that there will be absolutely nothing left to do in any game of this genre forever. That's it: as far as this specific genre goes, I think it's the perfect game.

Hey Folks, we did a podcast episode on Super Mario Bros. Wonder, keeping mostly to the first 4 worlds for people stil playing Hope you enjoy!

What timing for the podcast episode to release - at this point, I've already completely finished Wonder. It's been a few days and I've been thinking about the title a lot. I already want to play it again, but I gotta wait for my co-op buddies to be free.

This was an incredible experience. Not sure where it ranks in comparison to 3 and World, games I've finished many times at this point, but this is absolutely my favorite new game of 2023. Consistently creative with its level design, the most well-rounded power up selection of any 2D Mario game enhanced by the badge syste., so much charm and character in every aspect. Best World 1 of any 2D Mario game, best Desert World of any 2D Mario game, and a great set of courses and Worlds in general. I'm particularly impressed by how much I vibed with the world map and level progression being more Odyssey like even if it was not what I was expecting. Some weak bosses don't prevent this from being the best 2D Mario since the SNES - it's that good.

What timing for the podcast episode to release - at this point, I've already completely finished Wonder. It's been a few days and I've been thinking about the title a lot. I already want to play it again, but I gotta wait for my co-op buddies to be free.

This was an incredible experience. Not sure where it ranks in comparison to 3 and World, games I've finished many times at this point, but this is absolutely my favorite new game of 2023. Consistently creative with its level design, the most well-rounded power up selection of any 2D Mario game enhanced by the badge syste., so much charm and character in every aspect. Best World 1 of any 2D Mario game, best Desert World of any 2D Mario game, and a great set of courses and Worlds in general. I'm particularly impressed by how much I vibed with the world map and level progression being more Odyssey like even if it was not what I was expecting. Some weak bosses don't prevent this from being the best 2D Mario since the SNES - it's that good.
One of the best things about this game is the silhouette levels. Ever since Donkey Kong Country Returns, I was waiting for Mario to get levels like them and they're finally here. And they are so good too.

One of the best things about this game is the silhouette levels. Ever since Donkey Kong Country Returns, I was waiting for Mario to get levels like them and they're finally here. And they are so good too.
3D World has them as well. Well they were shadows, but same idea.

I have all green stamps for World 3's levels with 19 total Wonder Seeds but I am seeing the World as not cleared on the courses overview. Hm.

I have all green stamps for World 3's levels with 19 total Wonder Seeds but I am seeing the World as not cleared on the courses overview. Hm.
There are 20 Wonder Seeds. Did you unlock the path to Special World?

Best World 1 of any 2D Mario game, best Desert World of any 2D Mario game, and a great set of courses and Worlds in general
Heartily agreed on all fronts.

I only have the final level to beat now. The final FINAL level. I’m a little scared, but aside from Climb to the Beat I only lost 3 or so lives in the other Special Worlds, so maybe I’ll get lucky?

I did! Was I supposed to get a Wonder Seed for that? I unlocked it, but then bounced back to Petal without doing any of the levels in SW3.
I don't think so. You're probably missing one of the smaller levels that has a single Wonder Seed. Might be discoverable on the map.

I don't think so. You're probably missing one of the smaller levels that has a single Wonder Seed. Might be discoverable on the map.
Turns out I missed one of the 1-Wonder Seed levels. I don't know how I missed that, lol.

One of my favorite Wonder effects was at the very end of the game: Metal Mario giving electric immunity plus that music. Up there with the piranha plants for me.
I wish it got another level, but it was also one of my favorites.

Finished the game earlier this week and I can hardly scramble together words to describe what an incredible experience that was. Truly sublime. Not only does it contain physics good enough that it passes the ultimate platformer test with flying colors (that you can strip down all the flair and shenanigans and still have a great time purely because of the physics) it also rests on such a brilliant concept in and of itself in terms of the wonder flower. Like, it's in the tagline itself: "expect the unexpected". It's truly amazing how they have cooked down the essentials of the entire franchise into a single gimmick. Hands down my second favourite 2D Mario of all time, just shy of World.

With that being said, if I don't find the last wonder flower piece in Item Park, I might throw something somewhere. (Help is appreciated, if anyone's up for it!)

The 4 stages of (level name) Wonder Gauntlet in gifs

10 lives in:
tumblr-m08x3e3w-Xi1rqfhi2o1-400.gif

100 lives in:
gamer-rage.gif

Reaching the flagpole:
giphy-1.gif

Looking yourself in the mirror:
giphy.gif

The 4 stages of (level name) Wonder Gauntlet in gifs

10 lives in:
tumblr-m08x3e3w-Xi1rqfhi2o1-400.gif

100 lives in:
gamer-rage.gif

Reaching the flagpole:
giphy-1.gif

Looking yourself in the mirror:
giphy.gif
Nicely done! The Wonder Gauntlet was hard, but fun. Sort of this game's version of a boss rush.

There are SO MANY new enemies and other cool interactive level ideas in this game.
I would buy a Mario Maker 3 with just these tilesets and enemies alone.

I wouldn't even mind when they probably have to drop the wonder seeds. The other stuff has so much potential that is barely touched yet imo (just completed world 4).
I would also love to make my own challenges where you get applied a badge automatically.

So yeah, fingers crossed for SM3 or a SM2 update where the last tileset is Mario Wonder's (that makes the game Switch 2 ready as well).

Quoted by: Tye
There are SO MANY new enemies and other cool interactive level ideas in this game.
I would buy a Mario Maker 3 with just these tilesets and enemies alone.

I wouldn't even mind when they probably have to drop the wonder seeds. The other stuff has so much potential that is barely touched yet imo (just completed world 4).
I would also love to make my own challenges where you get applied a badge automatically.

So yeah, fingers crossed for SM3 or a SM2 update where the last tileset is Mario Wonder's (that makes the game Switch 2 ready as well).
I’m not sure a Super Mario Bros. Wonder theme would really be compatible with Super Mario Maker, since SMBW’s courses are vector-based, not tile-based like all the previous 2D Super Mario games before it. I’m sure they could try to imitate it the best they can with tiles, but it’s not going to be quite the same, even ignoring a lack of Wonder Effects.

Okay

I will legit give $200 to any NoA Treehouse member if they can give the names of these enemies.

LvbLQ19.png

Yp2BtHl.png

SbQbELE.png

One of the unfortunate effects of print guides for games no longer being made. (People underestimate just how important those really were)

Last edited:
I’m not sure a Super Mario Bros. Wonder theme would really be compatible with Super Mario Maker, since SMBW’s courses are vector-based, not tile-based like all the previous 2D Super Mario games before it. I’m sure they could try to imitate it the best they can with tiles, but it’s not going to be quite the same, even ignoring a lack of Wonder Effects.
A lot of Wonder's assets could be recreated in Maker's tile based system easily. Heck some of the things Wonder introduced feel like they were forward thinking to not only be in Maker 3, but to work in the older styles like the monster doors or fire spikes

Interesting, I did not know that.

It 'feels' and looks very tile based and as BassForever is saying, like they were thinking about a new Mario Maker from the get go. Would be a shame if not :-/

Okay

I will legit give $200 to any NoA Treehouse member if they can give the names of these enemies.

LvbLQ19.png

Yp2BtHl.png

SbQbELE.png

One of the unfortunate effects of print guides for games no longer being made. (People underestimate just how important those really were)
Don't they have names in the datamine?

I took a break from the 100% completion Final-Final Test Badge Marathon level to play some SMB3 and World, and after Wonder they seem to have lost much of their charm. So I guess Wonder really is #1 (I should compare with Mario Maker 2, though).

My favorite Mario levels have always been the castle/fortress/airship ones, though, and in that regard (and associated music and bosses) Wonder was sorely lacking. Everything else was great, though!

I took a break from the 100% completion Final-Final Test Badge Marathon level to play some SMB3 and World, and after Wonder they seem to have lost much of their charm. So I guess Wonder really is #1 (I should compare with Mario Maker 2, though).

My favorite Mario levels have always been the castle/fortress/airship ones, though, and in that regard (and associated music and bosses) Wonder was sorely lacking. Everything else was great, though!

I’ve had a similar experience playing some NSMBU yesterday. Like, that game has its qualities in its own right but it feels oddly stiff compared to Wonder. For example, when you go down a warp pipe, Mario just… stands still and descends, haha. Which highlights how much little details and quirks like Wonder’s animations does more for the full experience than one might think.

I’ve had a similar experience playing some NSMBU yesterday. Like, that game has its qualities in its own right but it feels oddly stiff compared to Wonder. For example, when you go down a warp pipe, Mario just… stands still and descends, haha. Which highlights how much little details and quirks like Wonder’s animations does more for the full experience than one might think.
Same, playing NSMBU after this was dire. I always considered the look and feel of that game to be bland but ok. After SMBW though it honestly looks and sounds genuinely bad, and despite your character having a similar movement feel, all the little tweaks add up to such a superior experience playing SMBW. I don't think I can ever go back.

I've finished the game 100% twice now and am back at World 5 on my third run.

This game is the shit. I have my criticisms sure and there's some aspects I wish the designers tackled differently, but man is this so much fun. Very few levels in the game that I revisit and I'm like "man I gotta do this again...". Sign of a greatly replayable game.

Back
Top Bottom