• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

I'm personally waiting for the "Super Mario Wonder is Bad, Actually." essay that comes with every critically acclaimed video games.

I give it six months, maybe three.

I think you are being generous with that, probably within a week to get views while the game is fresh.

I just started playing after finishing Spider-Man and find this game just enchanting. I’m glad I stayed away from most trailers and videos as it just makes every aspect of this game just feel more special.

Watching this video before my latest wonder play session tonight made me realize that I had even more rose colored glasses on than I realized regarding NSMB…

Even without taking Wonder into account: I already felt "the rose colored glasses" effect with the NSMB games when I played Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010 and when I played Rayman Origins in 2011. I really enjoyed NSMBWii in 2009 and it's a good game by all means but it was outclassed pretty fast.

Just finished the main game. Gotta say, both the credits song and sequence are incredibly disappointing. Mario World and Mario 64 have some of the best credits in games ever imo, and Wonder doesn't even come close. I saw someone say that the end to Mario World isn't happy or sad, it's just a goodbye. 64, is the same. The end of a great journey. Wonder is just generic happy. Boring.

Well the credits just rolled, that was a blast. Got the check marks(100%) for W1-6+Petal Isles. Up to Wonder Gauntlet on the special world but need to take a break

Loving the game so far. It's striking a chord with me that I don't think any 2D Mario has struck since World.

Ninji Jump Party is one of the greatest things I've ever experienced.

On Friday when I picked up the game I actually did so on the way to work; I had to wait 16 minutes between trains at a station right next to a shopping centre, so I rushed over, bought it, and hurried back just in time to catch my ride.

In the classes I run we do "Good News" as an opening game where we go around the circle and everyone shares something positive that has happened recently or that they are looking forward to; when I pulled Mario out of my pocket for mine, the kids all gathered around to marvel at it; I definitely got some "cool teacher" cred that day lmao

That rhythm special level in world 2 is the bane of my existence. 😧

Run to the Beat and Climb to the Beat were levels that ate the most of my lives by far. I haven’t yet unlocked Final-Final, though.

Is Mario Wonder one of the only Switch games that doesn't ask you to select the profile before starting the game? I'm always surprised when I'm taken into the game immediately lol

I've had the athletic theme stuck in my head all week. Honestly one of my favorite pieces from the game if not my favorite.

Even without taking Wonder into account: I already felt "the rose colored glasses" effect with the NSMB games when I played Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010 and when I played Rayman Origins in 2011. I really enjoyed NSMBWii in 2009 and it's a good game by all means but it was outclassed pretty fast.
Donkey Kong Country Returns is underrated

People only talk about Tropical Freeze and the Rare games

Many of the "flaws" pointed out in the video apply equally (or even more so) to Wonder, such as the large open spaces, recycled gimmicks, and item boxes at the start of each level. There are even limited visibility levels, which the YTer seemed to hate most of all. Wonder does have a more kinetic style and better pacing with less end-loading than, e.g., NSMB Wii.

Edit: I'm discussing the linked NSMB retrospective, all, not personally complaining about Wonder, which I agree is a great game and better than the NSMB series (apart from bosses).

You just stand there and jump to the beat. Mechanically trivial.
im gonna be honest wonder has the starting item box more than anything, right at the begging of the level the game says , you are using this one and if you arent you are wrong.

i dont mind that much though tbh, but it is a far cry from how power ups used to be treated as rewards.

The final boss in galaxy, 64, 3D world, 3D Land, and odyssey are all so much better IMO, the final boss is wonder is way to short and anticlimactic
warios final fight is slept on, anyone saying wonder has a good final boss for 2d mario has not played land 2

and personally I prefer wii and u's final bosses as you had to do more, manoeuvring and well, doing anything in general to not die.

It’s funny looking back at all the debates pre-release over if this looked super new or too much like NSMBU, only for the game to remind me of 3D World more than anything now that it’s in my hands.

Can’t really even pinpoint an easy reason why, probably a lot of it comes down to style and presentation. A bunch of aspects just mesh together beautifully in a similar way that they did for 3D World.
I think that early in development this game may have resembled the 3D World theme in SMM2 more before they gave the game its own identity.

Is Mario Wonder one of the only Switch games that doesn't ask you to select the profile before starting the game? I'm always surprised when I'm taken into the game immediately lol

It's kind of nice. Ring Fit was the first game I played that did that, if I recall correctly.

Most games don't make you select a profile from my experience, but maybe that's because I'm the only profile on my system. The only ones that do are Next Level Games titles for some reason.

Well that’s Mario wonder 100%! That was a thrilling time. Tho that last level was painful in more ways than one XD. Goes to show how much I enjoyed it, I almost never do this. Now to try multi with some family members during the holidays. So many dead Luigi’s… shredded my life stockpile. Love all the new enemy designs, give me a character pack series just off this game alone Lego!

Last edited:
Finally got some hours into this now that I got through Spidey.

It is a fun time. Definitely a fresh take after the NSMB games (though I will forever miss the buddy throwing). Honestly the animations might be the most impressive thing for me so far. And the badges are a nice touch as well.

I definitely don't find it too easy like many have said. I mean, it doesn't get Super Meat Boy hard or anything but I found it to be more challenging in areas than more recent Mario platformers.

I will say the boss variety has been rather lame, though.

Game is so fucking good. Don't tell Aurc I praises a Nintendo game.
This is exactly how I feel. I can't bare to face the Metroid thread knowing that a Mario game is one of my favorite games of the year. Thankfully Aurc doesn't play video games other than Animal Crossing, so thankfully Aurc doesn't play any video games and they probably won't read these posts and we're all in the clear.

It would almost be as embarrassing as saying that my favorite Nintendo games this year are a Metroid game, a Zelda game, and a Mario game, like some westaboo. Thankfully I have my dignity and would never do that.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is underrated

People only talk about Tropical Freeze and the Rare gamesbest

Absolutely. It deserves far more credit than it is given, Returns brought the DKC series back from the ruins and was so fresh at the same time. It's still the best 2D platformer of the seventh generation. I kind of like it even more than TF just because the swimming levels in World 4 of TF dragged for far too long for me, and I didn't think Returns had any low points in its level design.

This is exactly how I feel. I can't bare to face the Metroid thread knowing that a Mario game is one of my favorite games of the year. Thankfully Aurc doesn't play video games other than Animal Crossing, so thankfully Aurc doesn't play any video games and they probably won't read these posts and we're all in the clear.

It would almost be as embarrassing as saying that my favorite Nintendo games this year are a Metroid game, a Zelda game, and a Mario game, like some westaboo. Thankfully I have my dignity and would never do that.
Thankfully Zelda isn't in my top 10 anymore. If we count remakes and remasters, yes Metroid Prime is absolutely in there.

Just got some mopping up to do for 100%, beat the main campaign last night.

This a 10/10 in the same way ToTK and Baldur's Gate 3 are for me - they have aspects that can be clearly improved but they are absolutely amazing games when taken as the total sum of their parts.

While I was initially disappointed that Yoshi was an easy mode character, I do like using him to return to levels to get 100%.

Revisiting world 3, I'm quite fond of this track:

Absolutely. It deserves far more credit than it is given, Returns brought the DKC series back from the ruins and was so fresh at the same time. It's still the best 2D platformer of the seventh generation. I kind of like it even more than TF just because the swimming levels in World 4 of TF dragged for far too long for me, and I didn't think Returns had any low points in its level design.

Yup. An all minecart and rocketbarrel world is far more exciting than a water world. I feel like if Returns had good music it would be remembered as fondly as TF.

Man I was kinda worried based on the how the boss fights had been all game, but that final Bowser fight ruled. I was wondering if they would switch it up to the standard end game Bowser fights and they totally delivered. Felt more like the final boss of a Splatoon game than your standard Bowser battle.

I still need to go through the levels to 100% it, but immediate thoughts after beating it is that it’s by far the best 2D Mario released since the SNES and is up there with the best of 2D Mario.

Yoshi’s Island > Bros 3 > Wonder > World > Donkey Kong 94

Last edited:
Okay, when you guys are playing online, do you try to help the ghosts when they are trying to respawn or do you actively try to avoid them?

I'm 50/50, I don't mind helping, but its so fun to make them chase you sometimes lol.

Guess we’ll be seeing official numbers after their November meeting. They may be waiting that occasion to release numbers

Okay, when you guys are playing online, do you try to help the ghosts when they are trying to respawn or do you actively try to avoid them?

I'm 50/50, I don't mind helping, but its so fun to make them chase you sometimes lol.
dd1fe2a3bb9ab1bb1d921f4676a544ee.jpg

I wonder if we'll get DLC for this game? Early datamines showed that at least a few courses got cut from the final product, and 2D Mario is no stranger to additional content. But at the same time, the Switch 2 is coming in less than a year....

What's really really weird is I've had several occasions where I collected a big purple coin, died, and it didn't count. Had to find and collect it again on my retry. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened a few times by now. Not sure why.
If you exit the course and enter the overworld then re-enter, even if you didn't go anywhere else, you'd have to recollect the purple coins.

That's why I have to be careful not to start working on a special world course with low # of lives.. if I earned some purple coins and I have to go to store to restock on lives (99x lives for 300), I know I'd have to do those purple coins again if I haven't finished the course successfully yet.

If you exit the course and enter the overworld then re-enter, even if you didn't go anywhere else, you'd have to recollect the purple coins.

That's why I have to be careful not to start working on a special world course with low # of lives.. if I earned some purple coins and I have to go to store to restock on lives (99x lives for 300), I know I'd have to do those purple coins again if I haven't finished the course successfully yet.
Yeah I've made that mistake before 😅 but this has been like: grab big purple coin, die, level instantly reloads, purple coming isn't counted in my inventory, go back to where I got it and the purple coin is back in the level.

Not on every level, just some

Yeah I've made that mistake before 😅 but this has been like: grab big purple coin, die, level instantly reloads, purple coming isn't counted in my inventory, go back to where I got it and the purple coin is back in the level.

Not on every level, just some
Interesting. There was some times where it seems like it happens as how you described it.

And of course when I started to pay more attention (lol), I couldn't reproduce it. I chalked it up to me exiting a course then re-enter by mistake.

But since you made that observation, then I guess I wasn't going crazy when I thought that happened to me too at a point. Maybe if it happens to you (or anyone here), make a note of which course it happened to, share it here, we can then try to reproduce it, and if it's reproduced, maybe figure out why it happened? If there seems to be no obvious reason, could be weird course-specific logic that applies only to a couple of courses.

Back
Top Bottom