• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be the only one when I saw this:

untitled-13wcen.jpg

I straight up thought this has a wonderful similarity to the various Kirby games. Development clearly started with the terrible New style, but it has evolved wonderful!

Are World and Land not apart of the mainline 2D series then?
Well, Mario World is also "Super Mario Bros. 4" and the Land games weren't held as part of the mainline series for a time, so...there's not not precedent?
Doesn't seem to be in the trailer, but in the Direct I thought it specified local co-op. And the eShop page only says 1-4 players local.

Where? At least on the web version I just see mention of cloud support.
Go to the eShop on the Switch proper. It covers the details.
Eh, this just seems like some guy. Anyone can make things up on the internet. Better to wait and see, then cross-reference the post once the game comes out. If it's true, then neat! If not, it means little.

. Peach and Daisy as playable mean no Peach getting kidnapped storyline,
why did I just now realize this lol.

its exciting!! Hopefully they came up with something more interesting than the Sprixies though

Peach is having a great run though - Mario movie she was awesome, then in Wonder she’s not kidnapped, in SMRPG she’s also not and is a party member, and she’s getting her own game next year

This is like NSMB should have always been imho
Vibrant and charismatic

Gameplay wise too, it seems they are going crazy

If Daisy can get grandfather'd into mainline Mario there's no reason Wario can't either. Both debuted in the same subseries.

Speaking of being grandfather'd, it's WEIRD that Toadette is MIA, especially with how prominent she was in NSMBUDX and Maker 2.

If Daisy can get grandfather'd into mainline Mario there's no reason Wario can't either. Both debuted in the same subseries.

Speaking of being grandfather'd, it's WEIRD that Toadette is MIA, especially with how prominent she was in NSMBUDX and Maker 2.

Wario WAS playable in a mainline Mario platformer, funny enough.

51jDb01XCXL.jpg

why did I just now realize this lol.

its exciting!! Hopefully they came up with something more interesting than the Sprixies though

Peach is having a great run though - Mario movie she was awesome, then in Wonder she’s not kidnapped, in SMRPG she’s also not and is a party member, and she’s getting her own game next year
it seems like Bowser is kidnapping those weird not-toad things

I straight up thought this has a wonderful similarity to the various Kirby games. Development clearly started with the terrible New style, but it has evolved wonderful!
I feel like I remember they wanted to move on from the "New" stuff in an interview a few years ago so the new look was probably something they've been experimenting for awhile rather than having a change of heart halfway through development which doesn't sound as likely to me.

I'm so happy to see the timer finally gone. Not for me in particular but for less experienced players.
Last year I made my father (who loves super mario) play super mario 3d world + bowser fury and he had a blast, but since he doesn't play videogames anymore he had some problems getting used to the games. With bowser fury he could choose what shine to get and he could play the game slowly and with more caution. But in 3d world while he kept playing slowly most of the time the timer would just run out and he had to restart from the checkpoint which wasn't the best thing.
So I'm super happy to see the timer finally gone, it's a mostly useless feature for veteran players and an hindrance for new players.

Would be an interesting retcon if that were the case. They've been pretty good at keeping that as part of the backstory at least...

Sarasaland is this vague Gameboy concept, I'm not even sure what kind of creatures she's ruling over. Flower kingdom just makes sense for the flower themed princess.

It might not mean anything it's just my brain that made the connection while watching the trailer.

Well this will be the first proper 2D Mario game I get for Switch. Already played NSMBU on Wii U and, while I really liked SMM 2, it's also more of a level maker than a proper 2D Mario

Although 2D Mario games aren’t heavy in story, I wonder what the story will revolve around if there’s no kidnapping. Unless it’s one of those cases where, if you play as Peach, Daisy’s kidnapped, and if you play as everyone but Peach, it’s Peach that’s kidnapped

This is everything I hoped and more. It feels as crazy as Mario Maker but contextualized with a normal 2D Mario framework.

I never realised how much I wanted playable Yoshi in a 2D game instead of just treating him as a power up. Loving the roster of characters here.

Is it just me or does the boxart make Peach look very tall?
The key art in general goes for a more "on-model" look than the actual game. Everyone is closer to their canon looks and heights compared to the game, which pushes it to be more stylized. Kinda reminds me of the older games, where that was also the case!

This is exactly what I was hoping for in a new 2d Mario. They barely showed anything and they didn’t have to. The game is going to be wild. Nintendo must keep tabs on this site lol

I might be crazy but, this could be my game of the year beating even zelda. This looks so incredibly good.

untitled-13wcen.jpg

nah i noticed it right away

kirby-star-allies-dream-friends_feature.jpg

super-mario-bros-wonder-4.large.jpg

there is also an other game with a similar art style

dreamteam.png

I didn't notice the timer being gone which is great, but i'm kinda surprised lives are back. I figured after both Odyssey and Kirby and the Forgotten Land did away with them, Nintendo had completely moved past lives in games.

I said in the Direct prediction thread I would foolishly hope Peach was playable, then we got her and Daisy to boot! She was my mainstay in 3D World (well until I unlocked Rosalina).

Boy it feels refreshing to not open a 2D Mario with "Peach got kidnapped by the Koopalings"

Although 2D Mario games aren’t heavy in story, I wonder what the story will revolve around if there’s no kidnapping. Unless it’s one of those cases where, if you play as Peach, Daisy’s kidnapped, and if you play as everyone but Peach, it’s Peach that’s kidnapped
It won't be that, trailer has footage of both Peach and Daisy working together in multiplayer. Also, Bowser's Flying Castle seems to intoxicate the world in general. When you reache flagpoles, you desintoxicate it and possibly free those new NPCs?

Have you paid attention to the new jumping sound effect? It sounds so good.

The more I look at it, the better it gets. It's so unusual for Nintendo to put so much attention on the visual flair of their games in a trailer. The whole stop-motion-but-not-really look is some next-level stuff.

This has more of the quinessential Mario charm than even the 3D Mario games which is insane to think about. They utterly nailed it.
Exactly. Despite the (minimal) nsmb leftovers this feels like it has a lot of NLG dna, visually its more interesting thsn any 3d mario game, imo.

The key art in general goes for a more "on-model" look than the actual game. Everyone is closer to their canon looks and heights compared to the game, which pushes it to be more stylized. Kinda reminds me of the older games, where that was also the case!

I think they want to keep everyone around the same height for gameplay reasons.

Peach and Daisy being shorter than Luigi looks strange tho, would have looked more right if they were at least his size not Mario's.

I was sold the moment I saw that Mario had a different jumping animation, seeing the hat bop, it oozes charm everywhere just like the 3D games. I would have liked them to push even more visually by also changing the floor and things like that, but this is a good breath of fresh air, backgrounds and level themes look very Kirby-ish and I think that is the bare minimum Mario should be going for, looks really good. Wonderful and wacky, would have also liked a new villain but I'll take it.

I assume Yoshi is a transformation, since he has the flutter jump while the rest of the playable character seem to play the same?

Feels nice to be excited about 2D Mario again besides the Maker games (which are excellent), logo could be better tho.

Kind of wild that Nintendo just casually dropped a game this late in the year that will probably be a top 5 seller of 2023.

What I love most about this game are the new jump sounds of Mario. They sound so wholesome!

I think they want to keep everyone around the same height for gameplay reasons.

Peach and Daisy being shorter than Luigi looks strange tho, would have looked more right if they were at least his size not Mario's.
Oh, of course, this is exactly what they're going for. and it is the right decision.

I absolutely love the new trippy art style. Can't wait to see it on the SWOLED screen.

.........also can't wait to (HOPEFULLY) see this beautiful art style in 4k HDR in the future

Just noticed there doesn’t appear to be a time limit on the screen.

That’s awesome! I’ve never been a fan of time limits for just regular levels. Was always one of my biggest issues with 2D Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom