• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion [Stephen Totilo] Samus Aran never made it into Fortnite because Nintendo only wanted the skin available for Nintendo Switch users

Next week, you'll say me that Nintendo is bad because there aren't Funko Pops of Nintendo characters.
Per me earlier:
I wonder what the discourse would be like if a similar story came out about Nintendo refusing to let Samus be made into a Funko Pop because it's outside of their figurine ecosystem. Would anyone care? Is it really any different? Did I ask about this just to take a pot shot at Fortnite's art direction? The world may never know.

I'll pay you 5 in whatever currency to explore this idea further.

I will take issue with the word "right" because I don't like deeming worth based solely on profitability. Sonic's scattershot approach has also given us some pretty spectacular results. That alone is worth wading through all of the other unfortunate residue the blue blur has produced over the years.
Yes, I suppose leaving parts of your brand in legal limbo because

1) you allowed Ken Penders to depict your characters for years
2) you and your licensing partner also lost the contracts with him that would have proved your sole ownership over anything created within your brand

does count as spectacular, in the sense of "spectacular fuckup."

On the other hand, external partners like Tyson Hesse/IDW/Headcannon etc often understand the brand even better than Sega themselves, but I'd hardly call that an endorsement of Sega's approach.

Yes, I suppose leaving parts of your brand in legal limbo because

1) you allowed Ken Penders to depict your characters for years
2) you and your licensing partner also lost the contracts with him that would have proved your sole ownership over anything created within your brand

does count as spectacular, in the sense of "spectacular fuckup."

On the other hand, external partners like Tyson Hesse/IDW/Headcannon etc often understand the brand even better than Sega themselves, but I'd hardly call that an endorsement of Sega's approach.
Oh yeah, it has its downfalls. But at least you can't accuse Sonic of the same sterility you can of some of Nintendo's IP.

I wonder what the discourse would be like if a similar story came out about Nintendo refusing to let Samus be made into a Funko Pop because it's outside of their figurine ecosystem. Would anyone care? Is it really any different? Did I ask about this just to take a pot shot at Fortnite's art direction? The world may never know.
But there are many different toy and action figures brand manufacturers with Nintendo licenses right now.

Funko Pop not getting Nintendo IPs falls in the same category of Epic not getting them for Fortnite. It's not just about money.

I don't think I want to open that can of worms further given that I'd also be responsible for helping shut said can of worms 😬
giphy.gif

Wasn't this found out years ago and came up again during the Epic/Apple court case? Regardless I'm not shocked, though with how open they are at least with Microsoft you'd figure they'd at least ease up with what's effectively advertising Metroid on other consoles.

From what I've seen, most Fortnite skins have served as really solid adaptations / representations of all sorts of characters from a myriad of properties. Epic's done a great job of making everything appear fitting and in line with Fortnite's art style, while keeping it clearly recognizable. Funko Pops, on the other hand, are homogenized, soulless, beady-eyed landfill bait already looked upon with contempt by a large subset of people. If nobody ends up playing with the Samus Fortnite skin, that's okay, but if Samus Funko Pops get mass produced and nobody buys them, the amount of tangible garbage in the world has only increased for nothing!

That said, my weak ass might still be tempted to buy a Samus Funko Pop. Pls don't judge, Metroid getting merch is a rarity

From what I've seen, most Fortnite skins have served as really solid adaptations / representations of all sorts of characters from a myriad of properties. Epic's done a great job of making everything appear fitting and in line with Fortnite's art style, while keeping it clearly recognizable. Funko Pops, on the other hand, are homogenized, soulless, beady-eyed landfill bait already looked upon with contempt by a large subset of people. If nobody ends up playing with the Samus Fortnite skin, that's okay, but if Samus Funko Pops get mass produced and nobody buys them, the amount of tangible garbage in the world has only increased for nothing!

That said, my weak ass might still be tempted to buy a Samus Funko Pop. Pls don't judge, Metroid getting merch is a rarity
They certainly get more TLC than your standard Funko Pop! I just have a strong aversion to the Fortnite aethetic so it's an easy association for me.

But I'm clearly a biased old man and should can it before I date myself further.

I would also buy a Samus Funko Pop.

Funko Pop? Ew. You will take your cute Samus Nendoroid and you will love it.
I've been memed on by friends for my continued hopes for the fabled Samus Nendo. She's gotten a handful of figmas, but no Nendo in sight yet, which is obviously criminal.

Is there any actual proof that being featured in Fortnite translates to a meaningful increase in the consumption of the characters original media? The game is so full of references and crossovers from different media that I doubt the boost is as big as you'd expect, relative to the size of Fortnite itself.

At some point, the saturation will have to become an issue, right?

Is there any actual proof that being featured in Fortnite translates to a meaningful increase in the consumption of the characters original media? The game is so full of references and crossovers from different media that I doubt the boost is as big as you'd expect, relative to the size of Fortnite itself.

At some point, the saturation will have to become an issue, right?
It’s about as helpful as the “Smash effect”; entirely incidental & not very long lasting, if it did get anything.

It’s about as helpful as the “Smash effect”; entirely incidental & not very long lasting, if it did get anything.
Apples to oranges, I say. It goes without saying that Fire Emblem getting the foothold it did was largely due to Marth and Roy's appearance in Melee. So a small brand getting a leg up in a big game was indeed helpful. That factor may have decreased as Smash leans towards bigger brands, but at least it started out that way.

But I don't think there's anything similar that can be said for Fortnite, because that game is not exactly utilizing "smaller, practically unknown brands".

Apples to oranges, I say. It goes without saying that Fire Emblem getting the foothold it did was largely due to Marth and Roy's appearance in Melee. So a small brand getting a leg up in a big game was indeed helpful. That factor may have decreased as Smash leans towards bigger brands, but at least it started out that way.

But I don't think there's anything similar that can be said for Fortnite, because that game is not exactly utilizing "smaller, practically unknown brands".
That’s highly debatable whether Marth/Roy in Melee was the foothold for FE in the West. I would argue that it played a minor role but the bigger reason was Advanced Wars sales. The only time one can point to Smash having any effect is XC2 JP sales; increasing the legs by a decent amount when Pyra/Mythra released.

Last edited:

Marth and Roy being in melee doing anything other than maybe having the localisation get the ok, is massively oversold. It's not like bayonetta being in smash 4/ultimate made Bayo3 sell gangbusters for instance.

Doesn't Nintendo have figurine partners in FIGMA anyways or Mattel? Maybe they feel like they'd betray partner trust or something like that.

Last edited:
Marth and Roy being in melee doing anything other than maybe having the localisation get the ok, is massively oversold. It's not like bayonetta being in smash 4/ultimate made Bayo3 sell gangbusters for instance.
dq11 didn't exactly break out either. neither did kof15. which granted skipped the switch so good luck seeing any effect from terry in smash.

Honestly, we've seen more evidence of people buying games when seeing characters in other media (Fallout currently, Mario according to Nintendo) than in other video games.

Which...ironically would make what Nintendo is during currently much more sense than putting Samus in Fortnite.

Honestly, we've seen more evidence of people buying games when seeing characters in other media (Fallout currently, Mario according to Nintendo) than in other video games.

Which...ironically would make what Nintendo is during currently much more sense than putting Samus in Fortnite.
When that IP is on its own terms and not occupying space with a tons of other IP it tends to sell people better on that IP than just a glorified cameo.

Let's get that Metroid movie off the ground people!

Trying to think about all of the franchises that people say Smash saved or helped blow up and I wanna see something.

Fire Emblem introduced into Smash in Melee, and there wasn't a single game that cracked a million until Awakening came out and was actually appealing. Series was famously on the verge of getting canned until Awakening turned out to be a hit. Smash might have helped it come to the West but it didn't fare any better here.

Factor 5 tried to make a more "mature" Kid Icarus for Wii even before Pit was in Brawl. Pit's announcement into Brawl only got people to slowly remember the NES game. Sora Ltd. were contracted to make a 3DS game that showed off the hardware, Sakurai wanted to make a Star Fox game before it switching gears because Star Fox 64 3D was already in development. So it became Kid Icarus instead. And even then, it didn't do gangbusters. 1.3 million I think, and I wonder if it made its money back.

Took 14 years for Earthbound to get ported anywhere else and even then it's hardly a name outside of forums and podcasts.

Pikmin 1 on GameCube wasn't topped until 3 Deluxe, which paved the way for Pikmin 4 to soar like is it. Olimar has been in 3 Smash games and it feels like it hasn't done much for the brand.

Xenoblade, the 3DS port helped more than Smash. and even then, it blew up because of weebs and Switch. XC2 has yet to be topped.

Smash, if anything, proved Captain Falcon is more of a star than the F-Zero franchise is.

Persona 5 got nominated for GOTY, went multiplatform. Dragon Quest was always huge in Japan but XI is what elevated it. KoF got a resurgence from both KoFXIV and the Arcade Archive games selling so well (everywhere but especially Switch). Now KoFXV is pretty big, with another Fatal Fury coming.

Samus has been in every Smash game, on every Smash box art, and Metroid is still where it is. So idk what people think Fortnite is gunna do for Metroid. Getting a character in a crossover is not really a golden ticket. Not even Smash guarantees Nintendo fans elevating a franchise. It might play a small part but ultimately the series needs to appeal to people. And Metroid doesn't really have that big of appeal.

When that IP is on its own terms and not occupying space with a tons of other IP it tends to sell people better on that IP than just a glorified cameo.

Let's get that Metroid movie off the ground people!
Monkey Paw curls: Staring Chris Pratt as Adam

Trying to think about all of the franchises that people say Smash saved or helped blow up and I wanna see something.

Fire Emblem introduced into Smash in Melee, and there wasn't a single game that cracked a million until Awakening came out and was actually appealing. Series was famously on the verge of getting canned until Awakening turned out to be a hit. Smash might have helped it come to the West but it didn't fare any better here.

Factor 5 tried to make a more "mature" Kid Icarus for Wii even before Pit was in Brawl. Pit's announcement into Brawl only got people to slowly remember the NES game. Sora Ltd. were contracted to make a 3DS game that showed off the hardware, Sakurai wanted to make a Star Fox game before it switching gears because Star Fox 64 3D was already in development. So it became Kid Icarus instead. And even then, it didn't do gangbusters. 1.3 million I think, and I wonder if it made its money back.

Took 14 years for Earthbound to get ported anywhere else and even then it's hardly a name outside of forums and podcasts.

Pikmin 1 on GameCube wasn't topped until 3 Deluxe, which paved the way for Pikmin 4 to soar like is it. Olimar has been in 3 Smash games and it feels like it hasn't done much for the brand.

Xenoblade, the 3DS port helped more than Smash. and even then, it blew up because of weebs and Switch. XC2 has yet to be topped.

Smash, if anything, proved Captain Falcon is more of a star than the F-Zero franchise is.

Persona 5 got nominated for GOTY, went multiplatform. Dragon Quest was always huge in Japan but XI is what elevated it. KoF got a resurgence from both KoFXIV and the Arcade Archive games selling so well (everywhere but especially Switch). Now KoFXV is pretty big, with another Fatal Fury coming.

Samus has been in every Smash game, on every Smash box art, and Metroid is still where it is. So idk what people think Fortnite is gunna do for Metroid. Getting a character in a crossover is not really a golden ticket. Not even Smash guarantees Nintendo fans elevating a franchise. It might play a small part but ultimately the series needs to appeal to people. And Metroid doesn't really have that big of appeal.
I think it's worth noting that Awakening was the first new Fire Emblem game released worldwide after Brawl. While Melee was the best selling Gamecube game, it was the Gamecube, it only sold to enthusiasts. The Wii however actually sold well, so it definitely introduced a ton of people to the series to try it out, myself included.
I know of EarthBound and F-Zero because of Brawl, and bought the rereleases where I could, but you can't really show support for a series that's finished and/or dead, especially with EarthBound where it was either paying hundreds for a cartridge (a rarity back then) or emulating it, and the 2 games that never actually released over here before 2015. People in their 20s now could have not even been 10 when they first played Brawl, and pretty soon that'll be happening for Smash 4 too.

Also the 3DS version of Xenoblade was after both versions of Smash 4 released, and well after Shulk was revealed. Maybe didn't do amazingly, it was New 3DS exclusive after all, but I would definitely say people tried the series out because of learning who Shulk was from Smash 4, cause I did.

I think it's worth noting that Awakening was the first new Fire Emblem game released worldwide after Brawl. While Melee was the best selling Gamecube game, it was the Gamecube, it only sold to enthusiasts. The Wii however actually sold well, so it definitely introduced a ton of people to the series to try it out, myself included.
I know of EarthBound and F-Zero because of Brawl, and bought the rereleases where I could, but you can't really show support for a series that's finished and/or dead, especially with EarthBound where it was either paying hundreds for a cartridge (a rarity back then) or emulating it, and the 2 games that never actually released over here before 2015. People in their 20s now could have not even been 10 when they first played Brawl, and pretty soon that'll be happening for Smash 4 too.

Also the 3DS version of Xenoblade was after both versions of Smash 4 released, and well after Shulk was revealed. Maybe didn't do amazingly, it was New 3DS exclusive after all, but I would definitely say people tried the series out because of learning who Shulk was from Smash 4, cause I did.
I don’t think it is worth noting since I’m not seeing much correlation between Brawl & Awakening. The interest for that game was its own doing not a game from 4yrs prior.

I don’t think it is worth noting since I’m not seeing much correlation between Brawl & Awakening. The interest for that game was its own doing not a game from 4yrs prior.
Well considering the only other Fire Emblem game available on the Wii was a game that was notoriously hard to find and likely was not printed much, I'd say there's a bit of correlation that the next Fire Emblem game would have a bit of "hey I know that series"

Well considering the only other Fire Emblem game available on the Wii was a game that was notoriously hard to find and likely was not printed much, I'd say there's a bit of correlation that the next Fire Emblem game would have a bit of "hey I know that series"
If brawl was inducing interest in fire emblem, it would have lead to people buying Fire emblem radiant dawn, which in every region bar japan launched within half a year of brawl, not waiting 4+ years for Fire emblem awakening.

It only became "hard to find" because nobody bought it and then they stopped printing it; then, when interest in fire emblem actually blew up years later, there weren't enough copies of it on the market to match the now increased demand

If brawl was inducing interest in fire emblem, it would have lead to people buying Fire emblem radiant dawn, which in every region bar japan launched within half a year of brawl, not waiting 4+ years for Fire emblem awakening.

It only became "hard to find" because nobody bought it and then they stopped printing it; then, when interest in fire emblem actually blew up years later, there weren't enough copies of it on the market to match the now increased demand
Believe it or not but people don't always buy games at release! Casual interest is usually "oh yeah I heard of that, I'll check it out", and with Smash it's usually (sometimes younger people) people going "wait Mario, Link AND Pikachu are in this???". With Awakening it was probably a mix of "oh hey, I know that, that's the series that's in Smash" and also Nintendo actually finding a way to market their more niche games thanks to Directs.
Am I saying Smash is the only reason people know of Fire Emblem and checked it out? No. But Smash has definitely, inarguably introduced people to series they wouldn't check out for a couple of years because I am talking to you right now. I did exactly that.

Plus the Fire Emblem 1 translation's official reveal is "hey, Smash introduced people to this series" so like, Nintendo probably believes it at least.

Xenoblade on Wii, when it finally came to America, actually wound up selling above expectations, despite the very limited release. It was also pirated in equal amounts. It was always bound to be the start of a new franchise in America; it's been teased since 2009. It took Nintendo taking a proper chance on it in the US. But I also think there is a particular reason 2 is the best selling game, even with the entire series released on Switch.

I also became aware of franchises like Earthbound and Fire Emblem because of Smash, but being aware of a franchise means very little if no one ever takes the jump, and regarding Fire Emblem, for 12 years after Melee, nobody did. The root of this conversation is a Samus skin in a non-Nintendo version of Fortnite. What would it actually do? Most gamers already know who Samus is. Most gamers already know what Metroid is. I think it's silly for Nintendo to have to look outside of its own dedicated audience to find success with a series like Metroid. Plenty of non-Nintendo fans already buy a Switch for Smash and Mario Kart. Smash itself sold an astounding 32 million copies. They can't buy a Metroid game if they see her on the cover? There are a couple of them now.

I think people gotta come to terms with there just being a cap on Metroid in its current form. Even Metroid Prime. If Metroid made that kind of jump now you might actually have a chance to have the series break out, but as a 2D sidescroller, this is it. People are just not buying what they're selling in the big way we want/maybe expected. All that said, I'm not complaining. Dread's numbers are great, the series has a developer again, and we're likely not going to have to wait long for Metroid 6.

I got a nephew who loves playing Ridley in Smash. Considers him his main and recognizes him as Samus' arch rival.

Can't get the boy to go near a Metroid title. I show him Prime Remastered and he shrugs.

Being made aware does not mean it will translate to sales. Considering time gap & series representation up to that point + FE own relevance prior to Awakening; it’s probably safe to say Awakening did all the heavy lifting w/Smash receiving the benefits down the line.

Nope. Nintendo IPs stay on Nintendo consoles*.

*Does not apply to smartphones.
Not quite which is why you had to resort to an exception that doesn't exist.
Nintendo IPs for console games stays on Nintendo consoles which is Nintendo's core business.
Nintendo IPs being used on smartphone apps, arcade games or the Sega Pico do not contradict the rule because all three avenues (smartphones, arcades, eduteintment) aren't in direct competition with Nintendo consoles even if broadly they can be all classify as "video games" and in fact the experiences proposed do not replace Nintendo console games on their platforms.

If Nintendo had decided, as suggested by many clueless analysts, to sell their console games back catalogue for cheap on smartphones then that would violate the rule and would be a pretty dumb move in itself.

Last edited:
Believe it or not but people don't always buy games at release! Casual interest is usually "oh yeah I heard of that, I'll check it out", and with Smash it's usually (sometimes younger people) people going "wait Mario, Link AND Pikachu are in this???". With Awakening it was probably a mix of "oh hey, I know that, that's the series that's in Smash" and also Nintendo actually finding a way to market their more niche games thanks to Directs.
Am I saying Smash is the only reason people know of Fire Emblem and checked it out? No. But Smash has definitely, inarguably introduced people to series they wouldn't check out for a couple of years because I am talking to you right now. I did exactly that.

Plus the Fire Emblem 1 translation's official reveal is "hey, Smash introduced people to this series" so like, Nintendo probably believes it at least.

Believe it or not, fire emblem radiant dawn didn't evaporate from retail immediately after release!

There was plenty of overlap time between the games, where people could have jumped in, and if there was any meaningful evidence it was moving copies, they'd have kept printing them, it's just you're really rejecting the idea despite the significant evidence that mass crossovers don't meaningfully expand audiences beyond the game they're appearing in. Not only that, for your line of thought to have any sense to it, they also have to completely ignore the DS game starring one of the characters you're positing that should have had a massive increase in popularity.

Occams razor is pretty clear here; in order for fire emblems sales increase to have come about because of smash you have to make excuses for why it didn't happen after melee for either the gamecube or GBA games, didn't happen to the game on the same system as brawl, didn't happen for the next games in the series which also starred one of the smash characters and did so badly neither American nor european branches thought it was worth localising, at the same time when they were happy to localise the likes of Advance wars : Dark conflict/Days of ruin, and Europe was doing all sorts of RPGs even if the American branch was holding back, but then somehow went all in on a game over a decade after appearing in Smash and ignoring it for several titles.

Or you can assume the much more likely "it doesn't make much difference sales wise if the crossover game is so vastly different to the product that the characters are drawn from".

Last edited:
I got a nephew who loves playing Ridley in Smash. Considers him his main and recognizes him as Samus' arch rival.

Can't get the boy to go near a Metroid title. I show him Prime Remastered and he shrugs.
Wow, kid's a fake fan, smh... you've gotta try harder, uncle. Set the new generation up for success!

It's insane this thread has 200+ replies. The generation who plays fortnite are too busy Ohio rizzing and Skibiti mewing to have the attention span needed to transfer a character being in Fortnite into actually caring about the property they're from. Like nothing was lost here, all that happened was maintaining Samus's dignity.

Back
Top Bottom