• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion [Stephen Totilo] Samus Aran never made it into Fortnite because Nintendo only wanted the skin available for Nintendo Switch users

How come Phantasy star online 2 had Zelda content on other platforms?
Probably because those are skins for avatars. In Fortnite, they portray them as the actual characters coming to the game, with the introduction trailers and such.

I gonna say it safe to assume makes a whole world of difference in licensing deals.

Samus was probably went with as the first ask because A) she'd fit proportionally and have obvious skin options and B) is probably the most famous Nintendo character Nintendo would most likely be ok with holding guns. Your other options off the top of my head would be the Star Fox gang which usually use laser weapons, and F-Zero characters, which would fit proportionally but also is WAY less significant than even Metroid.
And from the sounds of things, Nintendo was fine with it, it was just that Epic didn't want to deal with the exclusivity that Rocket League and Minecraft did. Rocket League also went with Mario and Metroid, so I think it's fair to say that a lot of game devs just probably really like Metroid.

Also the trio of Kratos/Chief/Samus gives me memories of PS2/Xbox/Gamecube magazines so maybe they were going for that.
I guess when you narrow down like this. You could get the guy from Disaster Day of Crisis, but at that point, why even bother?

I understand Nintendo is absolutely terrified of having their characters appear on anything not Nintendo, but I think Samus and Metroid could use the advertisement. This would be huge for the series and imo would lead to better sales for Prime Remastered and Dread.

I am surprise people are surprise at this lol. Epic already went through this with Rocket League
Rocket League wasn't owned by Epic at the time if I recall. So Epic didn't have a say in that. Assuming you're referring to the Mario and Luigi hat that's only visible to Switch players.

That there was nothing to market at the time
Prime Remastered and Dread were most likely both in development. And perhaps even Prime 4 before it got rebooted. That we didn't know about the games back then doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Also, you don't always have to market after something is available. Even if Samus was in Fortnight for a year or more before anything Metroid related was on Switch doesn't mean it's a wasted effort. Either way it's basically free advertising.

Rocket League wasn't owned by Epic at the time if I recall. So Epic didn't have a say in that. Assuming you're referring to the Mario and Luigi hat that's only visible to Switch players.
Yup. Also I saw that Fornite and RL have different systems in how they distribute content. So that might also play a role.

Yup. Also I saw that Fornite and RL have different systems in how they distribute content. So that might also play a role.
Yeah, that's also possible. Either way, Epic wouldn't be able to say to Nintendo "now you have to allow us to show these skins everywhere" since they likely have contracts in place for these deals.

I understand Nintendo is absolutely terrified of having their characters appear on anything not Nintendo, but I think Samus and Metroid could use the advertisement. This would be huge for the series and imo would lead to better sales for Prime Remastered and Dread.
I’m genuinely curious: Is there any proof that Fortnite skins increase the sales of the games they come from? I would suspect that these skins just bring in existing fans of the series, so the only sales increasing are those of Fortnite’s digital marketplace.

I've got to admit I'd be curious to see how the Samus skin appearing in Fortnite would influence Dread and Prime 4 sales.

Was this a stupid decision? Maybe yes.
Would a skin make Metroid less niche and made ppl buy the games? Fucking lol.
It's a skin in a game with thousands skins. If anything the ppl who would had bought it they would already been Metroid fans.

I mean yeah. Nintendo is backwards, but the narrative that a skin would drag the Metroid series from the niche pit to the mainstream stratosphere is ridiculous. Get serious.

Yeah, this seems like a massive misstep on Nintendo's part. I take it neither Microsoft nor Sony imposed similar restrictions for MC/Kratos to only be visible on their respective platforms?
Can't compare Nintendo with those companies. They are moments away from abandoning consoles for PC. Nintendo is still all in on dedicated consoles and have no plan B.

Please refrain from encouraging cross community drama. - ngpdrew, xghost777, NabiscoFelt
Famiboards tier response. Everyone plays Fortnite. It's bigger than any game Nintendo has out right now.

This is a way better site than the one who bans people for saying they enjoy Vanillaware games.

I feel at this point a Samus being added to Fortnite wouldn't do much of anything to boost the Metroid IP more than seeing fanart of her.

Fortnite is so oversaturated that the only way to stand out is to do big things like holding concerts or altering the whole map a simple skin would do nothing for Metroid and more for Fortnite.

Like just adding a Trophy to the case of: "IP we have cameo in our game."

I truly doubt fortnite would have much crossover with Metroid.

Fortnite is a online multi-player live service game. Big social element.

Metroid (outside of a couple spinoffs) is a game that you play alone, exploring a sci-fi environment all alone. Single player. Most of the games are 2d sidescrollers.

These things are so different I question how much crossover would really exist.
It's all just for a bit of cheeky non-canon fun though, isn't it? There's all sorts of characters in Fortnite, including this bloke from a book:

fortnite-mistborn-and-kelsier-items-1920x1080-9bd92b18d6a5.jpg

Having Samus Aran and Ellen Ripley in the same game would be neat. Dare I say, it would even be... b@d@$$

The main thing to me is that the benefits you get from making money off skins and any extra awareness no matter how small is better than whatever perceived benefits there are to not "dilluting" your brand by having Samus in a cross platform game ....

what do they lose?
They'd lose consistency I imagine. Brand management really tries to go hard on the consistency and maintaining some level of prestige when they got it.

And them going mobile was out of desperation which Nintendo have seemingly been dialing back support on now that they're back on top.

Nintendo as a video game company has a very different view about how their character are used in the video game space. Much like how Disney can be hard to work with in the film space with certain IP.

y’all cheering on their increased focus on IP and then getting mad when they enforce IP standards is somethin’ else, lmao

I’m genuinely curious: Is there any proof that Fortnite skins increase the sales of the games they come from? I would suspect that these skins just bring in existing fans of the series, so the only sales increasing are those of Fortnite’s digital marketplace.
not really? Apparently the Chun Li Skin didn't really increase Street Fighter sales

I am surprise people are surprise at this lol. Epic already went through this with Rocket League
I mean not really, Rocket League was more or less an indie game by an indie developer when that deal was struck — Epic swooped in relatively recently to swallow it whole

honoring the existing deals would’ve been a different kind of move than negotiating something new for their cash-crank baby

Huge mistake imo. Most kids I know play Fortnite and it would've been great advertising for the eventual MP4 and cementing her as a cultural character.

Edit: Seeing a lot of takes about "it wouldn't really boost sales!" but cultural osmosis through one of the biggest games out there that Samus is the cool orange robot lady is worth it.

Last edited:
Would a skin make Metroid less niche and made ppl buy the games? Fucking lol.
If even a few hundred people try a Metroid game as the result of a Fortnite skin, the gaming world automatically becomes a better place. Not because of any brief, negligible sales boost, but because more fans means more enthusiastic peeps joining us in anticipation of Metroid Prime 4. There could potentially be dozens of them.

If even a few hundred people try a Metroid game as the result of a Fortnite skin, the gaming world automatically becomes a better place. Not because of any brief, negligible sales boost, but because more fans means more enthusiastic peeps joining us in anticipation of Metroid Prime 4. There could potentially be dozens of them.
Yeah, there's different views to think this in, and as a fan it'd be totally cool.

From Nintendo's view they probably feel like they have nothing to gain.

One of the many times fans view on IP differs from the company's

I mean this is great for me. I’m an IP luddite. I’m so fucking sick of crossovers. I’m tired and bored of a licensed world and bristle at the mere thought. I don’t even want them to be making a Legend of Zelda movie.

What if they try Other M though?

like I think it’s safe to say if the two (Epic & Nintendo) hadn’t already strategized to play nice on Fortnite — Nintendo is absolutely the kind of company that Sweeney would throw a litigation tantrum about

at this point it’s way more of a flex to not be in Fortnite than to be in it

they should invent incremental lobotomies so I can get one every time something bafflingly stupid goes down in the IP inferno

I guess I could do a shot to similar effect but I don’t especially want to be any more of an alcoholic than I’ve already technically been

plus it’s like an instant flare button so ehh

they should invent incremental lobotomies so I can get one every time something bafflingly stupid goes down in the IP inferno

I guess I could do a shot to similar effect but I don’t especially want to be any more of an alcoholic than I’ve already technically been

plus it’s like an instant flare button so ehh
I say this as a big Smash fan:

Amen!

Every single game does not need to be a grab bag of licensed properties. 99% of the time they don't fit and are nothing more than hollow pandering. We should be better than that!

At least Smash has the excuse of it being canonically a kid playing with their Nintendo action figures rather than the actual characters.

one of the things I’ve always enjoyed about Nintendo is the same thing I enjoy about the Switch — focus

it’s always about games

which I’m sure is part of why the “increased IP focus” makes me retch a little

not that they’re eschewing one for the other. so far.

but like that focus is through all of it.

smash characters tend to happen because someone thinks their moveset applied to the paradigm would be cool. it’s not just crossover at skin level — even though smash definitely feels like absolute fucking nonsense from an outside angle and is the worst Nintendo offender of my sensibilities by far

their slaughterhouse of franchise usually strikes a more exceptional tone for me because they almost always try a new thing, or get a bit weird with it. Even fucking Pokémon (also a horrible offender of my sensibilities)

games are the core of who they are. everything they build, historically, is in service of games. so wanting shoutouts to be platform exclusive — when their platforms are always an extension of their games, or an experimental sandbox for their games — that tracks for me. I don’t care if you think it’s stupid.

it makes a kind of sense that the outstretched omnivore, the crown-baked wing, the idle-thought-deservée don’t quite tend to barter in. one that appeals to me, outlier aberrant.

if smash added goku then it would definitely be on its way to become ip sludge like fortnite or those anime girl gacha games which are more numerous than stars in the universe by now. but even then I expect a theoretical goku in smash to be a love letter to dragon ball with all sorts of cool little touches and banging remixes so at least there's still cool shit there vs the modern crossover standard of a bunch of 30 dollar skins in a battlepass.
This is what we could have had.
this is what they took from us 😔

if smash added goku then it would definitely be on its way to become ip sludge like fortnite or those anime girl gacha games which are more numerous than stars in the universe by now. but even then I expect a theoretical goku in smash to be a love letter to dragon ball with all sorts of cool little touches and banging remixes so at least there's still cool shit there vs the modern crossover standard of a bunch of 30 dollar skins in a battlepass.
another big difference is that Dragon Ball is good whereas Metroid is not. After all Japan cares about it, but not Metroid

this is what they took from us 😔
Nah Goku fits.

Now Jonesy on the other hand...

I don‘t care about this at all, if anything it would be cool to see more Nintendo IP in Third Party Games. But I really don‘t get the free advertisement argument?

I don‘t see how this would have a considerable effect on sales numbers of Metroid Prime or Metroid Dread. They already sold over 1 Million and 3 Million copies each which is more than many other "Niche" Franchises could ever dream of. Even for Metroid Prime 4, that game will be just fine without Fortnite.

It‘s just a reality that Nintendo cares more about a character not being visible on other platforms than a little sales boost for one of their smaller IPs. And let’s be honest, it‘s not like they really need that. How many people would actually even buy a Switch specifically for Metroid Prime 4? It‘s not like Nintendo is really in need to sell more units of their current console.

if it comes down to me and franchise in dante’s cascade — a lost dialectic for the fate of our kind — I know who would reach from those stinking bogs to topple me. a newtonian prayer, that I may clatter down each concentricity and leave all to sin from a new home in the ice

I defy that this is the better world. I think people have far more to say than this.

but. then again. what do I know?

Back
Top Bottom