• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion [Stephen Totilo] Samus Aran never made it into Fortnite because Nintendo only wanted the skin available for Nintendo Switch users

This seemed kind of obvious when the original rumour mill went nowhere. Especially when Kratos and Master Chief were added around the same time.

Yeah, this seems like a massive misstep on Nintendo's part. I take it neither Microsoft nor Sony imposed similar restrictions for MC/Kratos to only be visible on their respective platforms?

Honestly I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. Similar stuff happened with Skylanders with the DK and Bowser figures. This is just more of the same Nintendo stuff.

I don't really have any strong feelings about their behavior in this case, but I do think it's interesting that this was on the table.

Ok

So what?
It would've been really good marketing for a relatively small Nintendo IP with a huge history of acclaim

Yeah, this seems like a massive misstep on Nintendo's part. I take it neither Microsoft nor Sony imposed similar restrictions for MC/Kratos to only be visible on their respective platforms?

You can play those characters on any platform

Yeah, Iwata was firm about this, no Nintendo content can appear on rival platforms. Unlike the other two, games and consoles are the only thing Nintendo does.

Wait, Nintendo wanted the skin to not be VISIBLE on other platforms? That's ridiculous. It's free advertising.

Famiboards tier response. Everyone plays Fortnite. It's bigger than any game Nintendo has out right now.
Not sure what "famiboards tier response" means? Do you not like the forum you are posting on?

Fortnite is super popular. Why should it being popular mean everything should be in it/it should have everything it wants. Being big doesn't mean it's good.

Famiboards tier response. Everyone plays Fortnite. It's bigger than any game Nintendo has out right now.
Why does that obligate Nintendo to give Samus to Epic? The post was "Nintendo doesn't owe Epic anything?"

Yes, it might be useful to Nintendo to use Fortnite as advertising, but they don't owe Epic. But it would also drive revenue to Epic. They couldn't work it out, fine, too bad, but what the hell are you talking about?

Why does that obligate Nintendo to give Samus to Epic? The post was "Nintendo doesn't owe Epic anything?"

Yes, it might be useful to Nintendo to use Fortnite as advertising, but they don't owe Epic. But it would also drive revenue to Epic. They couldn't work it out, fine, too bad, but what the hell are you talking about?
Now point to where I said Nintendo is obligated to put Samus in Fortnite. Nah, I just said it's a stupid decision not to give much needed exposure to the series.

That there was nothing to market at the time

They market the IP through Fortnite > Metroid Dread comes out > Lil Timmy who only plays fortnite says, "Hey, it's that character from Fortnite!"

That seems pretty valuable for an IP that has struggled to become a breakout hit

What about their mobile games?
Their mobile offerings are controlled by them and are built for mobile devices to build up the ip and drive people to their console offerings. They aren't porting the console stuff to mobile, rather tailor made stuff for mobile.

Now point to where I said Nintendo is obligated to put Samus in Fortnite.

Nah, I just said it's a stupid decision not to give much needed exposure to the series.
That may have been what you meant, but it's not what you said ;) If someone says "Nintendo doesn't owe epic anything" and you say "nah", I think a reasonable assumption is you think Nintendo did own epic something.

Language, it's horseshit

Is there any data to show there's a "Fortnite effect" where the included properties see a boost in attention? It seems like such a crowded mess of a game at this point that I can't imagine there's any significant cross promotion at play anymore. But if so, one could argue Metroid could use the boost, not that there'd still be better ways to raise awareness of Metroid.

God Nintendo (and fans judging by this thread) are way too protective of their own IPs. Let Samus appear in Fortnite, it literally doesn't harm anyone.

i get it. nintendo wants their IPs to be exclusively associated with their hardware.
Probably this, combined with control of the association their IP gets when put into other games.

would have been cool to have samus there, bummer that they're so strict about their IP

stricter than disney, local elementary schools with pikachu drawn on the walls watch out

I havent seen enought data but since when does releasing a skin on fornite actually impact the exposure of an ip? Have Halo, Horizon, GoW, other videogame ips seen an impact? Because unlike adapatations, the fornite audience doesnt seem to have much impact outside of that ecosystem

have chris pratt voice mario he's so cool but if samus ever does the griddy it's over

Hey no one tell Nintendo this but

I watched the Super Mario Bros Movie by streaming it… ON MY XBOX
Oh you're too late. I had already notified Nintendo that I watched Super Mario Bros 1991 (with Bob Hoskins) DVD on my PS2 22 years ago! It felt really wrong though.

If you don’t like it here I can show you where to request account deletion
they seem to be annoyed by one aspect of this site so your response is "delete your account if you don't like it"? what the hell

edit: posted at the same time the other responses popped up for me, not trying to pile on, sorry

? Yes...that's the point of my post? Immediately jumping to the defense of Nintendo when they make a decision that goes against their company values of "fun for everyone" certainly is something I've seen a lot on this board.
Is your point that Chie's post was the first response to the thread? Are you saying you wouldn't have responded if that was, say, the 11th post?

Is your point that Chie's post was the first response to the thread? Are you saying you wouldn't have responded if that was, say, the 11th post?
No. You're taking the word "immediately" a bit too literally there. It's a general statement.

Wow, this totally isn't a weirdly personal response to my observation on a message board at all. Sorry I offended!

Uhh, can we let people criticize site behavior without telling them to leave? That's a little ridiculous.

they seem to be annoyed by one aspect of this site so your response is "delete your account if you don't like it"? what the hell

edit: posted at the same time the other responses popped up for me, not trying to pile on, sorry

Sorry. I’m on edge for reasons outside of the internet and I’m taking it out where it doesn’t belong. Apologies.

Back
Top Bottom