• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Star Wars |ST| SW fans cannot help what they are. Their passion leaves a trail. The enthusiasm for Star Wars is like an itch. They cannot help it.

I think what shows like Ahsoka and Mandalorian do pretty well is advance the Star Wars universe forward beyond the original movies.
I felt that was lacking in all three films of the ST or sequel trilogy.

Hell, even Rogue One seemed to do that aspect better than the movies that literally were sequels to the OT.

In my honest opinion, of course.

Some more Star Wars news:

Hell yeah to the last article.

Also, I believe that there's a new documentary on the Star Wars Holidary Special, of all things.

Some more Star Wars news:

Hell yeah to the last article.

Also, I believe that there's a new documentary on the Star Wars Holidary Special, of all things.
A Larian Star Wars RPG would be epic!

I think what shows like Ahsoka and Mandalorian do pretty well is advance the Star Wars universe forward beyond the original movies.

I agree but I find it hard to get too invested when the dialogue is so awful and almost all of the performances so stiff. I do love both shows but man, Filoni makes it hard work sometimes. It's why I'm very nervous about his Mandoverse film. Meanwhile I put on any of the ST films, Rogue One or Solo and that issue simply isn't there. It's bizarre how bad it is with Filoni (/Favreau?) is with dialogue/performance coaching. Ahsoka wasn't quite as bad as I feared it might be (apart from things like Anakin's "Incorrect." (LOL), but S3 of Mando was the worst example of it.

STAR WARS IN 2024

What are we looking forward to the most and why?

badbatch.png

The Bad Batch - Season 3
This is probably my most anticipated Star Wars thing of the year, I adored season 2 and can't wait to see this story wrap up.

c63acolyte.png

The Acolyte
I saw a trailer for this at Celebration earlier this year and it looked really cool. I think this will be a big hit.

outlaws.png

Star Wars Outlaws
Really looking forward to this, hopefully Massive/Ubisoft put their all into it. Their openworld games are pretty cookie cutter but hopefully the Star Wars setting will elevate the game. Being able to planet hop should be fun.

skeleton.png

Skeleton Crew
Excited for this, I think people are sleeping on it. Trailer at Celebration looked good and it'll be nice to have something a bit different to the norm, same with the Acolyte.

tales.png

Tales of the Jedi - Season 2
I've not actually seen Season 1 yet (prequel era Jedi stuff doesn't really do it for me), but I'll check it and S2 out eventually. I'm hoping Filoni steps out of his comfort zone and goes to a different era, let's see Luke and Ben, Rey and Finn, Ahsoka and Sabine...

Should be a fun year! Cameras should start rolling this year on the next feature film too finally!

News round-up:

Star Wars' Director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Says It's About Time a Woman Shaped a Star Wars Film​

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-director-sharmeen-obaid-chinoy-says-its-about-time-a-woman-shaped-a-star-wars-film

Obaid-Chinoy is directing the Daisy Ridley-led sequel.

Star Wars Outlaws Arrives Late 2024 [Updated]​

Update: Ubisoft reached out to IGN to say that the "late 2024" timing had been updated to a "correct" release window of 2024. The original story is below.

Everything Coming to ‘Star Wars’ in 2024​

Happy New Year! We’re now done with 2023 recaps and are ready to take 2024 by storm. For us, that means a lot of new Star Wars projects, from two new live-action series, two new animated shows, at least one video game, and also plenty of new comics and books from the publishing team. Check out our rundown right here!

Live-Action Star Wars Series Coming in 2024​

The Acolyte

Leslye Headland’s series is set to be the first time we see the High Republic in live-action. Described as a Jedi fest, the series stars Amandla Stenberg and takes place 100 years before The Phantom Menace. It’s set to depict how the Sith infiltrated the Jedi Order and will be told from the perspective of dark-side users.

It’s described as a mystery thriller in which “a former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.” Though character details are scarce at the moment, we understand Stenberg is playing the Padawan and Lee Jung-jae is playing their former Jedi Master. The first season will run for eight episodes, but more have been planned. In fact, we wouldn’t be surprised if work was already underway on season 2.

No release date has been set for The Acolyte, but we don’t expect it to come out before the summer. Check out even more reasons to be excited for The Acolyte here.

Acolyte_Official-New-Logo_2023.jpg

Skeleton Crew

The Jude Law-led series hails from Spider-Man: No Way Home director Jon Watts, who pitched the idea to Jon Favreau on the set of the Sony/Marvel film. He co-wrote the majority of the episodes with Spider-Man: Homecoming co-writer Chris Ford, and later put together a very interesting list of directors: besides Watts, Jake Schreier, Bryce Dallas Howard, Lee Isaac Chung, the Daniels, and David Lowery are set to helm episodes of the series.

The story follows a group of kids “who find themselves lost in the vastness of the galaxy trying to find their way home.” We know it takes place in the same timeline as The Mandalorian, and we’ve even been teased some cameos from familiar faces. A brief teaser for the series was shown to people in the room at Star Wars Celebration, but other than that, it’s been radio silent on this front for a few months.

The series was originally supposed to come out in late 2023, but we started to suspect something was up when Disney removed it from its schedule in August. Lucasfilm hasn’t said a word about it since then, other than mentioning in a press release it will now come out in 2024. That could either be a shift in strategy and the show will come out in the first few months of the new year, or they need to do some reshoots, which they couldn’t do before because of the strike, and the series is not expected for another few months.

skeletoncrew_logo_cover_1.jpeg

Before we move on, one quick note: Andor was once announced to be coming in August, but that happened before the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. The production still has a few weeks left of shooting (if they haven’t happened already), and the show has been removed from Disney’s 2024 schedule. io9 reported in December that it’s been moved to 2025.

Star Wars Animated Series Coming in 2024​

Young Jedi Adventures

The first piece of Star Wars animated content coming in 2024 is likely to be the last batch of episodes of Young Jedi Adventures, the High Republic-era animated series aimed at preschoolers that has already released 19 of the 25 episodes of its first season. The final six will be available on Disney Plus at a still uncertain time in 2024.

The Bad Batch Season 3​

The Bad Batch and Omega will return for a third and final adventure this year, as it was confirmed at Star Wars Celebration in April. Some social media posts from the people behind the series seem to indicate that the show is in good shape and was finishing its mixing sessions in December. However, since we’re now in January and we’ve heard nothing about a release window, we don’t expect it to come out before the spring (maybe May the Fourth?)

Details on the story are lacking at the moment, and the team will likely want to keep it under wraps for as long as possible given the season 2 cliffhanger. However, at Celebration they did show a teaser that confirmed the return of Fennec Shand and Wolffe. The number of episodes of season 3 is not confirmed yet, but the first two had 16.

Bad-Batch-Logo-2048x1278.jpeg

Tales of the Jedi Season 2​

Dave Filoni’s animated passion project premiered its first season in 2022. In it, he told isolated stories about two characters in the prequel films, Mace Windu and Ahsoka. He announced at Celebration 2023 that the show would be returning for a second season, and it was later confirmed that it would premiere on Disney Plus in 2024.

However, that’s about all we know for now. No characters have been confirmed to be the focus of season 2, meaning we could see a repeat of season 1 or two (or more) completely different characters. That leaves the door open for speculation — stay tuned to see some of our own picks soon!

Tales-of-the-Jedi_logo-e1653775470714.png

Video Games​

Star Wars: Outlaws

This is the main video game release of 2024, coming from Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment. It’s an open-world AAA console game set between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, during a time in which the Rebellion was at its lowest and the Empire allowed bounty hunters to run more freely than ever.

The main protagonist is Kay Vess, a gun-for-hire who, as the story unfolds, will work for several crime syndicates and get herself into a lot of trouble. Players will have the opportunity to take on missions for those organizations, including Jabba the Hutt himself, and even betray them. They will make their own path, though the team behind it has also confirmed it will not take hundreds of hours to finish and the ending to the story will be the same for everyone. How they will accomplish that is still unknown.

No release date has been announced for Star Wars: Outlaws, but recent reports suggest the game will not come out for another few months. Check out 10 minutes of gameplay footage here.

Dark Forces Remaster​

The remake of the 1995 Star Wars shooter Dark Forces will be released on PC and consoles, including Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch, on February 28th.

Star Wars: Hunters

Star Wars: Hunters is a mobile and Nintendo Switch game announced back in 2021 to be coming out later that year. It’s a combat arena-style game set after the fall of the Empire where players can fight as bounty hunters, Rebel heroes, or stormtroopers. It had a soft launch in select territories, but its worldwide release has been pushed back multiple times. Will 2024 be the year it’s finally out? Only time will tell.

star-warshunters-logo-TALL-329797y56-e1658152436204.jpg

Star Wars Books Coming in 2024​

The High Republic Phase III​

The final collection of High Republic stories kicked off in late 2023 and will continue in 2024 before it concludes in 2025. The first title out will be Daniel José Older and Alyssa Wong’s middle-grade novel Escape from Valo, out on January 30, 2024, in which several Padawans try to escape from Nihil-controlled territory. It will be followed up by the young adult novel Defy the Storm, out March 5, from Justina Ireland and Tessa Gratton, where Vernestra Rwoh teams up with scientist Avon Starros to find a way through the Nihil Stormwall to save those on the other side.

Tessa Gratton’s adult novel Temptation of the Force is due out June 11, but there no details have been provided yet. Zoraida Córdova’s Beware the Nameless will be a middle-grade novel that will follow the events of Escape from Valo when it comes out on July 23. Finally, George Mann’s Tears of the Nameless will be a young adult novel released on September 3 in which Jedi Knight Reath and Padawan Amadeo Azzazzo go out on a mission to test their theories about the Nameless.

The Living Force

John Jackson Miller’s long-gestating return to Star Wars books comes out on April 9. The story is set in the year prior to The Phantom Menace and is described as a “road trip” with each member of the Jedi Council while one member of the Order fears they are about to decline into nothing. Check out all the details here.

The Glass Abyss

Another tie-in novel to the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Menace! Steven Barnes’ new book will follow Mace Windu as he embarks on a mission to fulfill Qui-Gon’s final request, which the Jedi Master commissioned for Windu’s eyes only, and to be done only if he were to perish. The book is currently scheduled for August 6. More details here.

Screenshot-2023-12-08-100425-e1702051529358.png

The Essential Legends Collection​

Waves 9 and 10 of Star Wars: The Essential Legends Collection have been announced to be coming in 2024. The first will be released on February 6 and will include X-Wing: Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston, Republic Commando: Order 66 by Karen Traviss, and Knight Errant by John Jackson Miller. Wave 10 is set to come out on June 4, and will include the titles X-Wing: Iron Fist by Aaron Allston, Imperial Commando: 501st by Karen Traviss, and The Adventures of Lando Calrissian by L. Neil Smith.

2024 Star Wars Comics​

The High Republic Phase III​

The first comic book release of 2023 will be the final issue of Shadows of Starlight, coming out on January 3. Also, we’re now two issues into the main comic line The High Republic (Phase III), which will continue with new prints every month; the same goes for The High Republic Adventures, which released its first Phase III issue in December. Finally, Saber for Hire is a new four-issue miniseries coming out on April 10 that brings back Ty Yorrick.

Covers and synopsis until March are available.

Star Wars Comics Continuing in 2024​

The main Star Wars and Darth Vader lines are so far confirmed to continue until issues #45, both out in April.

Star Wars Comics Coming to an End in 2024​

Two long-running comic series are confirmed to wrap in early 2024: Bounty Hunters ends its run with #42 on January 17, and Doctor Aphra ends with #40 on January 31. In addition, the Marvel adaptations of The Mandalorian season 2 and Obi-Wan Kenobi are set to conclude in January and March, respectively. Plans to adapt The Book of Boba Fett and The Mandalorian season 3 could be announced at some point in 2024, though.

New Star Wars Comics Coming in 2024​

We start on January 24 with the comic adaptation of Thrawn: Alliances, the 2018 book by Timothy Zahn that was a follow-up to his grand return via 2017’s Thrawn. A four-issue Mace Windu miniseries is set to kick off on February 7 from writer Marc Bernardin. Star Wars Visions — Takashi Okazaki #1 is now set to come out on February 21. Ethan Sacks’ Jango Fett will begin in March, a few weeks after his Bounty Hunters series comes to a close.

Finally, even though Hyperspace Stories wrapped up in 2023 with issue #12, new issues on specific characters have been confirmed: Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, Rey, General Grievous, Kylo Ren, and Darth Vader.

Get Tie Fighter and 25 more classic Star Wars games on Steam for just $76​

The vast collection includes bangers like Knights of the Old Republic and Empire at War
If you’ve already wrapped up your second run of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, and you’re bored waiting for the next season of Andor to drop, you might want to check out the deal happening on the Star Wars Complete Collection. This compilation of 26 classic Star Wars games from the Lucasarts era (plus some newer games) is a $293 value, but you can add all of them to your Steam library for just $76. These discounts will last through Jan. 4, 2024.

While titles like Rebel Assault and the original Rogue Squadron are among the collection’s most dated entries, modding communities have kept games like Dark Forces and Tie Fighter relevant in the modern era. In fact, 2006’s Star Wars Empire at War just received an official update last month that made it playable on modern systems. You’ll also find a long list of certified classics included, like Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Outcast, and Galactic Battlegrounds.

Alternatively, you can purchase individual titles for as little as $2 during Steam’s Winter Sale. While we think you should give all of these games a try, here’s a curated short list of some essentials we think you should buy.

STAR WARS IN 2024

What are we looking forward to the most and why?

badbatch.png

The Bad Batch - Season 3
This is probably my most anticipated Star Wars thing of the year, I adored season 2 and can't wait to see this story wrap up.

c63acolyte.png

The Acolyte
I saw a trailer for this at Celebration earlier this year and it looked really cool. I think this will be a big hit.

outlaws.png

Star Wars Outlaws
Really looking forward to this, hopefully Massive/Ubisoft put their all into it. Their openworld games are pretty cookie cutter but hopefully the Star Wars setting will elevate the game. Being able to planet hop should be fun.

skeleton.png

Skeleton Crew
Excited for this, I think people are sleeping on it. Trailer at Celebration looked good and it'll be nice to have something a bit different to the norm, same with the Acolyte.

tales.png

Tales of the Jedi - Season 2
I've not actually seen Season 1 yet (prequel era Jedi stuff doesn't really do it for me), but I'll check it and S2 out eventually. I'm hoping Filoni steps out of his comfort zone and goes to a different era, let's see Luke and Ben, Rey and Finn, Ahsoka and Sabine...

Should be a fun year! Cameras should start rolling this year on the next feature film too finally!
I think people are definitely sleeping on Skeleton Crew as well as The Acolyte (plus, The Bad Batch is very underrated).

Big fan of Rey, big fan of the sequel trilogy so I'm excited by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's film, but that title is pure clickbait by IGN, they love stirring the pot whenever Star Wars is concerned. I'm also not convinced Rey will be the main character, I always assumed it would have a new main protagonist but that Rey would also feature. We'll see I guess. 2026 seems so far away though, especially if it's a December film. I know they said May but I dunno if that'll happen.

I think people are definitely sleeping on Skeleton Crew as well as The Acolyte (plus, The Bad Batch is very underrated).

Yeah. LF will need to market all three, especially SC. And it was so dumb to release The Bad Batch at the same time as Mando last year. Hopefully they don't do that again and promote the show a bit more this time with nothing else on to compete with.

Be interesting to see what comes next for Lucasfilm Animation. And live action for that matter. Every day I pray that Rogue Squadron gets turned into a D+ show. It's so sad how rare pilot stories/space battles are these days. Rangers of the New Republic and Rogue Squadron both getting cancelled really stings.

Some commentary on the upcoming The Mandalorian season 4.

Honestly, I'm not excited for it and don't really care for it; even more Ahsoka would be better.

And I really hope they make a "sequel" or "spiritual successor" to The Bad Batch (now that it's ending earlier than expected).

Some commentary on the upcoming The Mandalorian season 4.

Honestly, I'm not excited for it and don't really care for it; even more Ahsoka would be better.

And I really hope they make a "sequel" or "spiritual successor" to The Bad Batch (now that it's ending earlier than expected).

Not sure what point there would be making a sequel to the Bad Batch given it was already a sequel to the Clone Wars itself. For all we know three seasons and a three act structure is what Lucasfilm planned for it all along. Great that they get to end the show on their own terms.

I'm looking forward to Mando season 4, will wait to actually see it before judging obviously; but that "rumour" seems a bit vague/predictable so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Also, I thought that video was AI speaking at first, it wasn't particularly interesting or insightful.

Not sure what point there would be making a sequel to the Bad Batch given it was already a sequel to the Clone Wars itself. For all we know three seasons and a three act structure is what Lucasfilm planned for it all along. Great that they get to end the show on their own terms.

I'm looking forward to Mando season 4, will wait to actually see it before judging obviously; but that "rumour" seems a bit vague/predictable so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Also, I thought that video was AI speaking at first, it wasn't particularly interesting or insightful.
Oh yeah, that's just how she speaks.

Hasbro Fanstream: Ahsoka’s Grand Admiral Thrawn Joins the Black Series and More​

Coming Soon: ‘Star Wars’ in Ojibwe​

The High Republic Authors on Authors: Daniel José Older and Alyssa Wong​

‘Star Wars’ Teases Live-Action Adaptations After ‘The Bad Batch’​

In what manner, when, and through what means will Star Wars: Skeleton Crew be released!​

‘Star Wars’ Teases Live-Action Adaptations After ‘The Bad Batch’​

Lol, sorry to disagree with that reputable source of news "Inside the Magic dot com" :LOL: , but Star Wars teases no such thing. Ventress is in the Bad Batch. In no way does this appearance tease a live action spin off series with her and Vos. Come on.

Anyway, The Bad Batch trailer looks awesome. Can't wait, and it's releasing so soon! Excited to see how it wraps up and if Tech's fate is final or not (it probably is, but you never know). Looks like the Empire found Pabu though, gulp.

In what manner, when, and through what means will Star Wars: Skeleton Crew be released!​

Where do you find these dodgy automated news sites??

According to... "list23 dot com"

- Skeleton Crew will be a new American television series for Disney+, airing simultaneously with The Mandalorian and its spin-off series

airing simultaneously? No. It is American though, good job ChatGPT, err I mean list23.

The Star Wars: Skeleton Crew series portrays four children from a small planet who are transported to space, and will offer a fresh take on the story, drawing inspiration from the Legends continuity's Ewok films

Ewok films? Children from a small planet?

Jude Law is the sole confirmed member of Skeleton Crew.

No he isn't

Since the main characters are supposedly children, Law could potentially serve as their adult guardian, such as their father, pilot, or droid if they get lost

I feel it's pretty safe to assume that Law's character is not a droid.

The exact number of children in the show is unknown.

No it isn't. There are four.

Ahsoka debuted in August and will continue until autumn, with a possible two-month break between the series and a December release, resulting in Skeleton Crew, resuming its early 2020s, falling into the 20th year, similar to The Book of Boba Fett, which began in late 2020.

Lol.

Well then.

• Carano is suing Disney and Lucasfilm for firing her over her alt-right bullshit
  • Elon Musk is paying for it because of his promise to fund legal defense for anyone fired over their tweets
  • As part of the suit Carano is demanding Lucasfilm be forced to re-cast her

Nu6yNzH.gif

I saw that Carano-suing-Disney nonsense earlier. Disney gave her 101 opportunities to keep her job. Publicly apologize and stop bringing it up so this story would simply go away. The apology didn’t even have to be sincere. Not supporting or advocating that (ideally, she’d put the work in and grow as a person), just pointing out how easy Disney made it for her. And she still couldn’t do it. She fumbled having her own TV show in one of the most successful franchises ever despite limited actual acting ability yet she thought she big-brained the whole thing.

Too many people are waiting for their shot to be futzing around with people like Carano and her shitty personal views.

Alright, that’s enough of that. I need to wash off that serious talk with some shitposting.

19-DD298-C-2974-4-E15-A011-2848-E2-F8-C930.jpg

IMG-1405.gif

I thought she wasn't actually "fired", Lucasfilm simply chose not to offer her a new contract for Mando S3?

Also, her acting was AWFUL. It was painful to watch at times. Much as I was desperate for the Rangers of the New Republic spin off show to be released, her being one of the leads is simply laughable.

Fantastic opening three episodes. Great to have the show back. One nitpick/hope

I really really really hope they don't make Omega a force wielder, please please please don't. Star Wars has this obsession at the moment with making EVERYONE force sensitive, and I wish they'd stop. Finn, Sabine, Bode, now Omega.

I was enjoying a rare piece of Star Wars media to not be about Jedi for a change and I hope it stays that way till the end.

Fantastic opening three episodes. Great to have the show back. One nitpick/hope

I really really really hope they don't make Omega a force wielder, please please please don't. Star Wars has this obsession at the moment with making EVERYONE force sensitive, and I wish they'd stop. Finn, Sabine, Bode, now Omega.

I was enjoying a rare piece of Star Wars media to not be about Jedi for a change and I hope it stays that way till the end.
I want Omega to be a Force-user.

Drops mic.

Unpopular opinion, I know.

I want Omega to be a Force-user.

Drops mic.

Unpopular opinion, I know.

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion at all, I think the majority of hardcore fans love it when people are force sensitive, but aren't there enough force users in Star Wars? It feels like everyone is a Jedi these days. I still can't understand the decision to make Finn force sensitive, though to be honest, I kind of wish "force sensitivity" was never a thing like it was from the prequels onwards. That's probably the unpopular opinion.

Lucasfilm has been focusing almost exclusively on Jedi (High Republic, Ahsoka, Acolyte, Young Jedi Adventures, Kenobi, Tales of the Jedi, SW Jedi games) or bounty hunter (Mando, Boba Fett) stories for the last number of years.

Remember in the original trilogy when the Death Star trench run and Battle of Endor were huge moments in the franchise? Or when people raved about how amazing the space battle in Rogue One is? Why do LF seem so obsessed with Jedi stories these days at the almost complete absence of pilot stories? Sure we got Poe, and a couple of others here and there, Snap, Carson Teva, Anton Merric but would it really kill LF to throw a bone to pilot fans and give us some kind of content on Disney+ or a film that caters to what was once a big pillar of Star Wars?

I know Rogue Squadron and Rangers of the New Republic were a thing, but the key word is were. Are the stories about regular people, NOT clones or bounty hunters or force wielders, deemed not important enough? The huge critical success of Andor and commercial success of Top Gun Maverick prove that these sorts of stories can absolutely work in the modern day.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and have found tons to love in pretty much everything Disney have put out, but come on guys, change the record a bit. Not everything needs to be about force users, Jedi and bounty hunters.

(to be clear, this isn't a rant aimed at The Bad Batch, yes force sensitivity is a plot point, but my argument is more with regards to 90% of the rest of SW these last 3 or 4 years)

Last edited:
Lucasfilm has been focusing almost exclusively on Jedi (High Republic, Ahsoka, Acolyte, Young Jedi Adventures, Kenobi, Tales of the Jedi, SW Jedi games) or bounty hunter (Mando, Boba Fett) stories for the last number of years.

Remember in the original trilogy when the Death Star trench run and Battle of Endor were huge moments in the franchise? Or how people rave about how amazing the space battle in Rogue One is? Why do LF seem so obsessed with Jedi stories these days at the almost complete absence of pilot stories? Sure we got Poe, and a couple of others here and there, Snap, Carson Teva, Anton Merric but would it really kill LF to throw a bone to pilot fans and give us some kind of content on Disney+ or a film that caters to what was once a big pillar of Star Wars?

I know Rogue Squadron and Rangers of the New Republic were a thing, but the key word is were. Are the stories about regular people, NOT clones or bounty hunters or force wielders, deemed not important enough? The huge success of Andor (and Top Gun Maverick) proves that these sorts of stories can absolutely work in the modern day.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and have found tons to love in pretty much everthing Disney have put out, but come on guys, change the record a bit. Not everything needs to be about force users and Jedi.

(to be clear, this isn't a rant aimed at The Bad Batch, yes force sensitivity is a plot point, but my argument is more with regards to 90% of the rest of SW these last 3 or 4 years)
Right there with ya. I was really really really looking forward to Jenkins' Rogue Squadron 😩

You're missing two of the best Star Wars things!
Yeah, The Bad Batch and Andor are the two of the very best Star Wars media out there.

Otherwise, the rest of the Filoni-verse shows are a take-it-or-leave-it sort-of thing.

I would also recommend The High Republic books here and there (and the comics too).

@Legion of Primes

I just got to Season 5 of Clone Wars. I'm so addicted to this show and I'm loving Anakin's character development.

Finally committed to getting back into Star Wars, going chronologically for the most part. Really excited to get into the new stuff that I never watched (fell off around 2017 or so, IX was the last thing I watched before now). Currently about halfway through Season 4 of the Clone Wars, figured I should probably chronicle some of my general thoughts as I go along.

• The Phantom Menace was...not that bad? I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking it's anything special, outside of some hilariously bad CGI, but it was nowhere near as grueling as I was anticipating. The plot is pretty inconsequential but it's harmless, so no major issues there. Jar Jar is obnoxious as expected, but everyone else was tolerable for the most part. Qui-Gon was easily the star of the movie though, hope he's part of the next Tales of the Jedi season. It's a fun movie carried by the fact that it's Star Wars, which is fine in my book. Oh, and Duel of the Fates is amazing, naturally.
Liking The Phantom Menace more than expected raised my expectations a bit for Attack of the Clones, and my goodness was that a bad idea. This movie is terrible, one of the worst movies I've watched in years. Child Anakin was a goober, but it was at least endearing. He's so off-putting in Attack of the Clones, it's genuinely unsettling. Everything surrounding him and Padmé is unsettling, and they devote nearly half of the damn movie to it. How did Padmé fall for this guy? And while the conspiracy side of the movie with Obi-Wan is honestly pretty fun, it goes nowhere once he leaves Kamino. The Geonosis portion of the movie is devoid of any substance, it's just aimless fighting against some droids an old guy that the movie does nothing to build up as a threat. The clones offer nothing of note either, thank god the Clone Wars salvaged that "plot twist" into something really cool. Overall though, it's a movie that's 1/3 uncomfortable to watch, 1/3 light fun, and 1/3 of nothing. Can't believe I'm saying this, but what a downgrade from The Phantom Menace. And The Phantom Menace wasn't even that good!
Now we're really getting into nostalgia territory for me. The Clone Wars was huge for me as a kid, and it all started with the movie. And it isn't very good. Ahsoka is annoying for the better part of the movie, a lot of the dialogue is stilted and unnatural, the final act is blatant about how this movie is just a few TV episodes stitched together, and the animation is really gross at times. The growing pains are on clear display here, but the fact that it takes Attack of the Clones and builds it into something watchable at all is impressive in its own right. Anakin and Padmé talk are normal ass people this time around, what a concept. The soundtrack is really cool too, very unique for Star Wars. Not a good movie, but it accomplishes the most important thing it needed to do: be better than Attack of the Clones.
Thankfully, The Clone Wars only gets better from here. Season 1 is still pretty mid all things considered, but it's got some cool moments and justifies its existence a lot better than the movie did. It does feel like they're going through the motions a bit with how many Jedi they cycle through, like they wanted to hit a quota to make sure every Jedi in the movie gets their mandated episode. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is pretty formulaic with how they do so. Not much substance in general across the board, lots of basic saturday morning cartoon type stuff that ranges from decent fun at best to annoying at worst.
  • The standouts here are definitely episodes 105 and 120, mostly for the clones. This is where they really start to come into their own as characters, and these two episodes exemplify that very well. Especially with how important some of these clones are to the franchise as a whole, makes Order 66 and some other events hurt a hell of a lot more. Credit to episodes 101, 110, 113, 114, and 119 as well.
  • The low point of the season is easily the droid arc. Episode 106 in particular is astonishingly bad: Ahsoka is insufferable, and the animation is noticeably terrible at times. Did not care much for episode 112 either, have no idea why Anakin and Obi-Wan wanted to escape with Dooku when they could've just waited for the Republic. The only reason they give for why they want to escape is to save themselves from the embarrassment of being found captured, but is that really worth letting the leader of the Separatists get away? At least their dynamic is funny.
The general consensus I've seen online is that Season 2 is where things start to pick up, but not quite where The Clone Wars really comes into its own, which checks out for me. It's an improvement across the board, but it ultimately lacks the memorability and weight of the later seasons. Lots of cool foreshadowing and character appearances, conflicts are much more creative and interesting, and the lighter stuff is a lot more fun this time around. Much better directed too, there's some great stuff with musical cues and camera work here.
  • Picking out my favorite episodes was a lot more difficult this time, given how everything in this season is much more uniform in its quality. I'll give the nod to episodes 205, 208, 212, and 220 though. 205 is just a brilliantly directed episode; the Saving Private Ryan influence is blatant, but it still makes for one of if not the coolest action sequences in the entire franchise. 208's premise is so ridiculous it's hard not to appreciate based off that alone, but the added character development for Ahsoka and Anakin elevates it even higher. The Mandalore arc as a whole is probably the strong point of the season, but it's not connected particularly well, so 212 stuck out the most for actually being on Mandalore and bringing in the Mandalorians. Satine and Obi-Wan's chemisty is hysterical too, which helps a lot. And 220 does more for Boba Fett than the movies ever did, really strong core conflict for him here. The rest of the arc kinda falls off a bit, but 220 does an excellent job of kicking it off.
  • Similarly, there isn't really any episode here that I'd consider bad, which makes it tough to pick out my least favorites. I guess it'd be 209 and 215, but even then both are better than quite a few episodes from Season 1. Just not a whole lot to chew on with both of them.
I knew going in that Season 3 was where things really kicked into gear, but I forgot just how slow this season starts. The entire first half is dedicated to prequel or sequel episodes for various episodes in the first two seasons. Who thought that was a good idea? It's really difficult to track exactly when anything is happening, especially when they blend arcs together: episode 307 is a sequel to 222, while also being a soft prequel to 308, which itself is a prequel to 122, which is then followed by 309? How did they expect anyone to make heads or tails of that? It's made even more baffling when compared to the second half of the season, which rightfully carries the whole thing. What a huge shift from a bunch of nothing into some of the most memorable arcs across the entire show. It really is where everything starts falling into place, but damn does this season make it a chore to get there.
  • Listing out the best episodes at this point is a bit pointless, given how so many of them combine into bigger, complete arcs. I'll still pick out a couple, but the obvious highlights here are The Nightsisters, Mortis, and The Citadel. God, these arcs are so damn cool. The final Ahsoka arc is also strong, but it just doesn't compare to these three. I also need to give a shoutout to episode 301; while I don't like the first half of this season, 301 is an amazing episode that stands just as tall as the second half of the season. Domino Squad will forever be my favorite band of clones, alongside the 501st.
    • Nightsisters is my favorite of the bunch; Ventress is finally a character beyond "I'm evil", Savage Oppress is a monster, Mother Talzin is fucking weird as hell, and there's no filler anywhere. 314 is my pick for the best one, mostly for the final fight. Dooku, Ventress, and Oppress all fighting, transitioning into Oppress vs. Anakin and Obi-Wan while Dooku and Ventress continue fighting, goddamn it's awesome. Great fight choreography. And the Darth Maul teaser at the end is hype as fuck.
    • Mortis is the arc I remembered the most vividly, and it's easy to see why. Another arc where the premise is so weird that it's hard not to like it just off of that alone. And while I do think it's a bit messy in its execution, it's a fantastic character piece for Anakin. Qui-Gon finally made another appearance, which immediately makes this arc peak regardless. And the musical cues are awesome; the Imperial March leitmotif when Anakin initially chooses to leave Mortis and the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan leitmotif right before Anakin turns to the Dark Side really stuck with me. Once again, I think the finale of the arc was the strongest, so 317 is my pick.
    • The Citadel definitely has the least substance to it, but damn is it intense regardless. I love prison break stories, and this one is awesome, with the various deaths feeling appropriately brutal. Piell doesn't really offer much of note beyond just being pretty cool, I wish he got more, but the star of the show is undoubtedly Tarkin. My goodness, is he insufferable, and I couldn't be happier. And speaking of music cues, the soundtrack immediately transitioning into the Imperial March when Tarkin and Anakin shake hands is sick. Makes his ultimate fate even more satisfying. It was also rad as hell to see Echo and Fives return; Echo was my favorite clone when I was a kid, so seeing his death hurt a lot. I gaslit myself into thinking he survived somehow to cope with it and he actually did lmao, how the hell did that happen. I dunno if I have a particular favorite episode here, so I'll go with 318 just for introducing the Citadel so well.
  • Unfortunately, for as cool as the second half of the season (plus the first episode) falls a fair bit lower than the lows of Season 2. Episodes 304, 305, and 311 are pretty heavy in the "why should I care about any of this" department, but episode 308 takes the cake for worst episode here. What a pointless waste of time, did we really need backstory on how Cad Bane got into the Senate? It's sad how pretty much every droid-focused episode in The Clone Wars ends up being a low point.

Last edited:
Last weekend I watched episode 7-9 again. Honestly now that the dust has settled, it isn‘t acutally that bad? I always liked Episode 8 and was kinda ok with 7 and while the last movie clearly is the weakest, I enjoyed the whole journey quite a lot.

Last weekend I watched episode 7-9 again. Honestly now that the dust has settled, it isn‘t acutally that bad? I always liked Episode 8 and was kinda ok with 7 and while the last movie clearly is the weakest, I enjoyed the whole journey quite a lot.

I adore the sequels, especially 7 and 8.

And they were never "that bad", it was just the internet being hysterical because a large chunk of people couldn't deal with Luke's characterisation in TLJ, which sent appreciation for those films spiralling downwards. The hate the sequels get online is ridiculous, they're miles better than the Mandoverse imo.

Finally committed to getting back into Star Wars, going chronologically for the most part. Really excited to get into the new stuff that I never watched (fell off around 2017 or so, IX was the last thing I watched before now). Currently about halfway through Season 4 of the Clone Wars, figured I should probably chronicle some of my general thoughts as I go along.

• The Phantom Menace was...not that bad? I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking it's anything special, outside of some hilariously bad CGI, but it was nowhere near as grueling as I was anticipating. The plot is pretty inconsequential but it's harmless, so no major issues there. Jar Jar is obnoxious as expected, but everyone else was tolerable for the most part. Qui-Gon was easily the star of the movie though, hope he's part of the next Tales of the Jedi season. It's a fun movie carried by the fact that it's Star Wars, which is fine in my book. Oh, and Duel of the Fates is amazing, naturally.
Liking The Phantom Menace more than expected raised my expectations a bit for Attack of the Clones, and my goodness was that a bad idea. This movie is terrible, one of the worst movies I've watched in years. Child Anakin was a goober, but it was at least endearing. He's so off-putting in Attack of the Clones, it's genuinely unsettling. Everything surrounding him and Padmé is unsettling, and they devote nearly half of the damn movie to it. How did Padmé fall for this guy? And while the conspiracy side of the movie with Obi-Wan is honestly pretty fun, it goes nowhere once he leaves Kamino. The Geonosis portion of the movie is devoid of any substance, it's just aimless fighting against some droids an old guy that the movie does nothing to build up as a threat. The clones offer nothing of note either, thank god the Clone Wars salvaged that "plot twist" into something really cool. Overall though, it's a movie that's 1/3 uncomfortable to watch, 1/3 light fun, and 1/3 of nothing. Can't believe I'm saying this, but what a downgrade from The Phantom Menace. And The Phantom Menace wasn't even that good!
Now we're really getting into nostalgia territory for me. The Clone Wars was huge for me as a kid, and it all started with the movie. And it isn't very good. Ahsoka is annoying for the better part of the movie, a lot of the dialogue is stilted and unnatural, the final act is blatant about how this movie is just a few TV episodes stitched together, and the animation is really gross at times. The growing pains are on clear display here, but the fact that it takes Attack of the Clones and builds it into something watchable at all is impressive in its own right. Anakin and Padmé talk are normal ass people this time around, what a concept. The soundtrack is really cool too, very unique for Star Wars. Not a good movie, but it accomplishes the most important thing it needed to do: be better than Attack of the Clones.
Thankfully, The Clone Wars only gets better from here. Season 1 is still pretty mid all things considered, but it's got some cool moments and justifies its existence a lot better than the movie did. It does feel like they're going through the motions a bit with how many Jedi they cycle through, like they wanted to hit a quota to make sure every Jedi in the movie gets their mandated episode. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is pretty formulaic with how they do so. Not much substance in general across the board, lots of basic saturday morning cartoon type stuff that ranges from decent fun at best to annoying at worst.
  • The standouts here are definitely episodes 105 and 120, mostly for the clones. This is where they really start to come into their own as characters, and these two episodes exemplify that very well. Especially with how important some of these clones are to the franchise as a whole, makes Order 66 and some other events hurt a hell of a lot more. Credit to episodes 101, 110, 113, 114, and 119 as well.
  • The low point of the season is easily the droid arc. Episode 106 in particular is astonishingly bad: Ahsoka is insufferable, and the animation is noticeably terrible at times. Did not care much for episode 112 either, have no idea why Anakin and Obi-Wan wanted to escape with Dooku when they could've just waited for the Republic. The only reason they give for why they want to escape is to save themselves from the embarrassment of being found captured, but is that really worth letting the leader of the Separatists get away? At least their dynamic is funny.
The general consensus I've seen online is that Season 2 is where things start to pick up, but not quite where The Clone Wars really comes into its own, which checks out for me. It's an improvement across the board, but it ultimately lacks the memorability and weight of the later seasons. Lots of cool foreshadowing and character appearances, conflicts are much more creative and interesting, and the lighter stuff is a lot more fun this time around. Much better directed too, there's some great stuff with musical cues and camera work here.
  • Picking out my favorite episodes was a lot more difficult this time, given how everything in this season is much more uniform in its quality. I'll give the nod to episodes 205, 208, 212, and 220 though. 205 is just a brilliantly directed episode; the Saving Private Ryan influence is blatant, but it still makes for one of if not the coolest action sequences in the entire franchise. 208's premise is so ridiculous it's hard not to appreciate based off that alone, but the added character development for Ahsoka and Anakin elevates it even higher. The Mandalore arc as a whole is probably the strong point of the season, but it's not connected particularly well, so 212 stuck out the most for actually being on Mandalore and bringing in the Mandalorians. Satine and Obi-Wan's chemisty is hysterical too, which helps a lot. And 220 does more for Boba Fett than the movies ever did, really strong core conflict for him here. The rest of the arc kinda falls off a bit, but 220 does an excellent job of kicking it off.
  • Similarly, there isn't really any episode here that I'd consider bad, which makes it tough to pick out my least favorites. I guess it'd be 209 and 215, but even then both are better than quite a few episodes from Season 1. Just not a whole lot to chew on with both of them.
I knew going in that Season 3 was where things really kicked into gear, but I forgot just how slowthis season starts. The entire first half is dedicated to prequel or sequel episodes for various episodes in the first two seasons. Who thought that was a good idea? It's really difficult to track exactly when anything is happening, especially when they blend arcs together: episode 307 is a sequel to 222, while also being a soft prequel to 308, which itself is a prequel to 122, which is then followed by 309? How did they expect anyone to make heads or tails of that? It's made even more baffling when compared to the second half of the season, which rightfully carries the whole thing. What a huge shift from a bunch of nothing into some of the most memorable arcs across the entire show. It really is where everything starts falling into place, but damn does this season make it a chore to get there.
  • Listing out the best episodes at this point is a bit pointless, given how so many of them combine into bigger, complete arcs. I'll still pick out a couple, but the obvious highlights here are The Nightsisters, Mortis, and The Citadel. God, these arcs are so damn cool. The final Ahsoka arc is also strong, but it just doesn't compare to these three. I also need to give a shoutout to episode 301; while I don't like the first half of this season, 301 is an amazing episode that stands just as tall as the second half of the season. Domino Squad will forever be my favorite band of clones, alongside the 501st.
    • Nightsisters is my favorite of the bunch; Ventress is finally a character beyond "I'm evil", Savage Oppress is a monster, Mother Talzin is fucking weird as hell, and there's no filler anywhere. 314 is my pick for the best one, mostly for the final fight. Dooku, Ventress, and Oppress all fighting, transitioning into Oppress vs. Anakin and Obi-Wan while Dooku and Ventress continue fighting, goddamn it's awesome. Great fight choreography. And the Darth Maul teaser at the end is hype as fuck.
    • Mortis is the arc I remembered the most vividly, and it's easy to see why. Another arc where the premise is so weird that it's hard not to like it just off of that alone. And while I do think it's a bit messy in its execution, it's a fantastic character piece for Anakin. Qui-Gon finally made another appearance, which immediately makes this arc peak regardless. And the musical cues are awesome; the Imperial March leitmotif when Anakin initially chooses to leave Mortis and the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan leitmotif right before Anakin turns to the Dark Side really stuck with me. Once again, I think the finale of the arc was the strongest, so 317 is my pick.
    • The Citadel definitely has the least substance to it, but damn is it intense regardless. I love prison break stories, and this one is awesome, with the various deaths feeling appropriately brutal. Piell doesn't really offer much of note beyond just being pretty cool, I wish he got more, but the star of the show is undoubtedly Tarkin. My goodness, is he insufferable, and I couldn't be happier. And speaking of music cues, the soundtrack immediately transitioning into the Imperial March when Tarkin and Anakin shake hands is sick. Makes his ultimate fate even more satisfying. It was also rad as hell to see Echo and Fives return; Echo was my favorite clone when I was a kid, so seeing his death hurt a lot. I gaslit myself into thinking he survived somehow to cope with it and he actually did lmao, how the hell did that happen. I dunno if I have a particular favorite episode here, so I'll go with 318 just for introducing the Citadel so well.
  • Unfortunately, for as cool as the second half of the season (plus the first episode) falls a fair bit lower than the lows of Season 2. Episodes 304, 305, and 311 are pretty heavy in the "why should I care about any of this" department, but episode 308 takes the cake for worst episode here. What a pointless waste of time, did we really need backstory on how Cad Bane got into the Senate? It's sad how pretty much every droid-focused episode in The Clone Wars ends up being a low point.
I wouldn't watch everything, even if you want to.

I mean, in terms of Star Wars shows.

For example, I would skip The Book of Boba Fett (much as I like it).

Skip Solo; watch Rogue One (best new Star Wars movie).

Skip Star Wars: Resistance. Watch Ahsoka. Definitely watch Andor.

The Bad Batch is also up there with Andor but you can take or leave The Mandalorian, imho.

Skip the video games (unless you want to play them as video games and not just to enjoy the story). Skip Obi-Wan Kenobi (much as I liked it). I might skip Star Wars Visions and maybe (just maybe) Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi.

Either way, the shows I'm telling you to skip are, in my view, very much "optional."

Oh, and I guess watch the sequel trilogy, though I honestly didn't like it that much.

I adore the sequels, especially 7 and 8.

And they were never "that bad", it was just the internet being hysterical because a large chunk of people couldn't deal with Luke's characterisation in TLJ, which sent appreciation for those films spiralling downwards. The hate the sequels get online is ridiculous, they're miles better than the Mandoverse imo.
Episode 9 was the best of the sequel trilogy, I feel, with episode 7 being the weakest and episode 8 being about on par with episode 9 (The Rise of Skywalker).

I wouldn't watch everything, even if you want to.

I mean, in terms of Star Wars shows.

For example, I would skip The Book of Boba Fett (much as I like it).

Skip Solo; watch Rogue One (best new Star Wars movie).

Skip Star Wars: Resistance. Watch Ahsoka. Definitely watch Andor.

The Bad Batch is also up there with Andor but you can take or leave The Mandalorian, imho.

Skip the video games (unless you want to play them as video games and not just to enjoy the story). Skip Obi-Wan Kenobi (much as I liked it). I might skip Star Wars Visions and maybe (just maybe) Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi.

Either way, the shows I'm telling you to skip are, in my view, very much "optional."

Oh, and I guess watch the sequel trilogy, though I honestly didn't like it that much.
At least for me, skipping defeats the purpose. I want to watch everything, both good and bad, to really establish an opinion on Star Wars as a whole. Plus, it’s fun to juxtapose my current opinions against my nostalgia for Star Wars from when I was a kid. I agree that rewatching everything is a lot, but for me that’s the only way I’d be satisfied.

I’m in no rush, it’s not like Star Wars is going anywhere.

What does everyone think of Star Wars: The Bad Batch thus far? Episodes 6 and 7 of season 3 came out yesterday and I quite enjoyed Crosshair in those two episodes.

And where are you now since your last post in February (now that it's March)? @Thunder84

On another note, we're apparently getting an Ahsoka season 2, but that was to be expected... but no The Mandalorian season 4, as it turns out... at least from what everyone can tell...

On another note, we're apparently getting an Ahsoka season 2, but that was to be expected... but no The Mandalorian season 4, as it turns out... at least from what everyone can tell...
Probably because they're doing the Mando movie? Maybe they'll set the movie as being the finale of that story, standing in for a big "final season" or something.

DELIGHTED that Rogue Squadron appears to be a thing again. I was gutted when that film was seemingly cancelled. Just when I thought LF had given up on any stories that aren't Jedi/Bounty hunters/Clones.

Bad Batch S3 is great so far. Loving Crosshair and his relationship with Omega. "You're as bad as Hunter" ... "Oh, I'm much worse" :LOL:

Yesterday's two parter was fine but didn't do much for me. I appreciate it was necessary in the grand scheme of things but anytime Rex and co show up I kind of tune out a bit.

At least for me, skipping defeats the purpose. I want to watch everything, both good and bad, to really establish an opinion on Star Wars as a whole. Plus, it’s fun to juxtapose my current opinions against my nostalgia for Star Wars from when I was a kid. I agree that rewatching everything is a lot, but for me that’s the only way I’d be satisfied.

I’m in no rush, it’s not like Star Wars is going anywhere.

Please keep posting opinions, I'm very curious, especially once you get past Clone Wars.

And where are you now since your last post in February (now that it's March)? @Thunder84
Currently in the middle of Season 6. Hoping to wrap up the Clone Wars and Episode III before my next big opinion dump, and then follow that up with Tales of the Jedi and The Bad Batch.

Think I’ll probably replay Jedi Fallen Order and play Jedi Survivor too in that same timeframe, assuming that Jedi Survivor is coming to EA Play and therefore Gamepass relatively soon, but that’s not really correlated to my current watchthrough.

Back
Top Bottom