• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by oddly? Nintendo being secretive about their plans for Directs or what have your isn't a new thing. They been like this for years.
Sorry, I meant more secretive than usual, similar to the TOTK situation but this time, it doesn't seem they're gonna have a big game like that. Being THAT oddly secretive with a mostly ports filled Direct would be weird (to the point of hiding information to whoever was Pyoro's source, assuming they were not a YT employee).

wind waker and tomodachi are the first two things that come to mind with the first and third emojis. no idea what the tokyo tower and cityscape mean. most importantly, nothing here points to fe4. which makes me sad.

Assuming sources have not been found..it will be light in contents as many already anticipated, thats all

When Pyoro randomly swings in at the 11th hour

enel-eneru.gif

Playing through Donkey Kong Country on NSO in that the hopes that beating it before the Direct will appease the Monkey Gods and grant us a new Donkey Kong game.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's weird that there's no Eiffel Tower emoji, I feel like that's far more iconic than Tokyo Tower.
Probably is just a stand in.

Hey @NateDrake , about your F-Zero GX predictions. Is that wishful thinking or do you have inside info?

I ask because F-Zero GX is a difficult game to publish, not just because the profits are shared with Sega, but because the soundtrack is owned by a separate individual.

That means that if Nintendo were to remaster the game, they would have to sell it at a high price to be able to recoup its costs (and F-Zero doesn't really sell much). Either that or they would have to change the soundtrack so they don't have to pay royalties.
Just a prediction.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's weird that there's no Eiffel Tower emoji, I feel like that's far more iconic than Tokyo Tower.
Probably is just a stand in.
Since emojis started in Japan, there’s a lot more Japanese cultural stuff than any others still

The replies to the Pyoro tweet lmao. Some people acting like they won the lottery, deciphering the emojis and thinking it meant their favorite game. Then he tweeted summer, and people's dreams are crushed once more.

Maybe I'm stupid... but why would he put an island there if it's Paris Summer Olympics? Maybe just to emphasize the Summer part. (I'm coping for Tomodachi Life)

Was common but not anymore. Companies would send PR a few hours ahead of an E3 presentation (under embargo) or in the case of a Direct... the day before to select outlets. Such practices haven't been used in several years.
Were things leaked less in the past? Or people were more willing to adhere to NDAs? I want to believe more leaks happen now than before, but I don't have any proof so..

Don't wanna seem like I'm constantly defending Pyoro, cause a leaker's gonna run out eventually.
But there's something a little funny to me how people are going "they're being super vague so if they're wrong they'll be on the hook for a while longer" when they teased TTYD last year like this. No one got the door connection, and I'd say calling attention to the use of the word "Party" is at least on the level of their initial Mario Wonder leak. If Mario Party isn't there though rip bozo lol

I don't know much about leaking so I may be wrong but I think he might be getting his nintendo info from the eshop backend. He didn't leak games like Luigi's Mansion or Princess Peach Showtime because they wouldn't have been on the shop because they didn't have confirmed release dates. IMO that tweet is very similar to the "where is the nintendo direct" tweet where it can be interpreted in different ways. I personally don't think he knows anything.

I was like "either Tomodachi Life or Switch Sports Resort maybe" but yeah Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Paris games is more likely 💀
And funny that even that is a third party game lol
I was gonna say, Sega publishes the Mario&Sonic Olympic games, so the conspiracy-brained part of me reads this as a really clever way to make it look like he's still got 1st party info to the more casual observer while still only leaking 3rd party games

Interpret this as cope all you like but the absence of olympics games titles in 2022 and 2023 makes me think that series is sitting comfortably in a casket right now
Video game development is so complex now that a two-year development period for any franchise is not feasible. On top of the Winter Olympics not being honestly that important.

Aren't the Olympics literally next month? Are they really going to shadow drop Mario & Sonic right now?

EDIT: I don't think that series is as popular as it used to be. Maybe it'll be a scaled down title in the franchise or something.

OK, I'm split because the norm for the Olympic Games titles is that you release them a year before the event, and not during them. The only game to forego this pattern was M&S2016, inexplicably.

That being said though... The paddleboat emoji is kind of giving me some pressure here because there's no paddleboats in Tomodachi Life and there sure as hell exist plenty of other boat emojis you could associate with that game. It's not looking good, folks.

LMAO Pyoro course-corrected the conversation REAL quick with that reply. Buddy must have gotten Donkey Kong flashbacks when he saw all of the Tomodachi spam.

Aren't the Olympics literally next month? Are they really going to shadow drop Mario & Sonic right now?

EDIT: I don't think that series is as popular as it used to be. Maybe it'll be a scaled down title in the franchise or something.
Something something Year of Shadow

Were things leaked less in the past? Or people were more willing to adhere to NDAs? I want to believe more leaks happen now than before, but I don't have any proof so..
Varied event to event. Leaks became obvious enough that the companies stopped distributing info in advance of events or they would limit those who got early information for article preparation.

Video game development is so complex now that a two-year development period for any franchise is not feasible. On top of the Winter Olympics not being honestly that important.
I'd counterpoint the first point by saying that they already have a bevvy of assets/tech from the 2020 Tokyo game to help them out here, and that these titles aren't particularly extensive to develop, but at the same time, this could also have been a tough, low-resource development and we're seeing a shadowdrop from SEGA because they're not super confident in it right now. (Hell, Mario might not even be a part of it, and it's just their generic "OLYMPICS" branded game now.)

I agree with the second point re: winter olympics, the longer development ETAs and increased costs made those likely to be pretty unviable for 2016/2017 when confidence was low on Switch perf, and as for 2022, they were probably hammered by the pandemic.

Assuming the Pyoro source is from eshop backend, I think Nintendo is deliberately delaying uploading the games to the eshop, also explain no first party leak as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom