• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Choose your fighter:

A) MP4 releases this Fall as a Switch 1 game, with a next-gen upgrade at launch and a meaty gameplay trailer in this Direct, but MP2 and MP3 are absent.
B) MP2 + 3 HD release this Summer/Fall as Switch 1 games, but MP4 is a no-show and we have to wait until whenever Nintendo unveils the new console to see it.

I haven't played any of these games, but adored Prime Remastered and every 2D Metroid (well I guess I only liked Samus Returns). I'd probably go A, since we could still get MP2 and 3 HD in a September Direct or later showcase. I just want to see the latest in the franchise.

A. Gimmie Prime 4 now, and save 2 and 3 for years with no new Metroid games. And remaster them up to par with Prime 1.

This is genuinely one of the most interesting Direct cycles ever. Not only is it potentially the final Switch-era General Direct, but new hardware on the horizon looms over everything. On top of that, the Direct was announced like a month ahead of time by the Nintendo President. And now...we really have no substantial leaks of which to speak. With how weird everything is, I almost think it's likely we see Prime 4 tomorrow, lol.

Also probably not gonna happen tomorrow, but I expect a Dragalia Lost in the style of Granblue Fantasy Re:Link for the Switch successor

It’s kinda insane how much of a curveball this Direct is, it being not only potentially the last major Switch direct, but also the first direct in a while where there are currently no major leaks to put into discussion.

12 hours left, we can do this.

It’s kinda insane how much of a curveball this Direct is, it being not only potentially the last major Switch direct, but also the first direct in a while where there are currently no major leaks to put into discussion.

red-green-the-red-green-show.gif

I kinda like when Nintendo throws in a curve ball by announcing something non-gaming related stuff like the Mario Bros movie or their museum in Kyoto. I wouldn't mind seeing them eat up some time by having a talking head talk about some other initiative that Nintendo is doing.

This is genuinely one of the most interesting Direct cycles ever. Not only is it potentially the final Switch-era General Direct, but new hardware on the horizon looms over everything. On top of that, the Direct was announced like a month ahead of time by the Nintendo President. And now...we really have no substantial leaks of which to speak. With how weird everything is, I almost think it's likely we see Prime 4 tomorrow, lol.

And we're extra antsy cause it's been nine months since the last direct.

Ugh, remember that one Treehouse Livestream that showcased Paper Mario Origami King, and then had a surprise game that turned out to just be Bakugan?
still maybe one of the weirdest mismanagement of expectations I've seen when it comes to these kind of showcases/events

"we're gonna show Paper Mario and a mystery game that's Wayforward working on a property that's new to them

people start wildly speculating about it being something like Metroid or Wario Land

"wait no not like that, it's not a Nintendo property"

people start talking themselves into believing it could be something cool like Castlevania

it's fucking Bakugan

Well I did say "short version." 😅 There's a lot more, including them using some of the clout they got from the Sega info to do "leak trades" with someone who supposedly had legit sources, and I think some of the Squeenix stuff might've come from that. I'd still take anything recent from that account with a grain of salt because a bunch of the stuff that came out surrounding the downfall reflected really poorly on them and their methods. Live A Live 2 may actually exist! But I wouldn't take Midori's word for it anymore.
So you're telling me the Atlus leaker is

Persona non grata

It reeks of an advertisement for that Discord server, to be honest.

As others have already said, we would never do this, it makes 0 sense, not a very nice thing to say. We had to delete all our active invites and pause invites yesterday to keep things under control.

It's a moderator saying that the server mods know who Pyoro is.

They were joking. Nobody on staff knows who Pyoro is.

I'm going to be very happy if it's a curveball direct, but also open to the possibility there are no leaks because there's nothing very interesting to leak

Im a little surprised its taken them this long to make metroid prime 4. I mean are we expecting it to be significantly longer then the rest of the MP games?
Game development just takes awhile these days and they want it to be perfect. Probably took their time with pre-production and prototyping to have a clear idea of what they wanted to accomplish.
For the matter, Metroid Prime Remastered took 3-4 years to make, and that's a 1:1 remake.
But I do believe it'll be longer than the other games just because they're "too short" for today standards. No, I don't think it'll become a 40h+ game but I think 20h is about what I expect.
To aim for higher fidelity(which they did for MPR) and maybe bigger spaces(or just more areas) it'd take way longer today than it did back in 2007.

I thought he was just saying that he hopes it happens and not hinting at something. @Brazil sorry to annoy you, but are the Dragalia dreams some informed dreams? 👀
It was a bit random to just post and then right after that the X thing was spotted. :p
Unfortunately my Dragalia Lost post wasn't a hint at all, merely my brightest dream. It's actually not random at all for me to talk about Dragalia Lost out of nowhere because I'm constantly thinking about my dearly departed.

I actually hadn't even seen the X thing.

I promise you, if anything on that regard is announced tomorrow, you will be able to find footage of me crying over it if you choose to do so.

Unfortunately my Dragalia Lost post wasn't a hint at all, merely my brightest dream. It's actually not random at all for me to talk about Dragalia Lost out of nowhere because I'm constantly thinking about my dearly departed.

I actually hadn't even seen the X thing.

I promise you, if anything on that regard is announced tomorrow, you will be able to find footage of me crying over it if you choose to do so.
Ohh that's heartwarming to hear!! 🥺
I'll be like this if Metroid Prime 4 shows up, I think I'll even record my live reaction just to save it to see a moment of joy later!!

Btw, I really really hope your dreams eventually come true and Dragalia Lost for Switch or Dragalia Lost 2 is announced!! I think the original did pretty well? Nintendo's been doubling down on new IP this gen so I'd be surprised if they didn't bring it to home consoles eventually.

Im a little surprised its taken them this long to make metroid prime 4. I mean are we expecting it to be significantly longer then the rest of the MP games?
Five years is pretty standard for a AAA game nowadays, and not only was there a pandemic in the middle, but after the blown announcement/reboot cycle, I imagine Nintendo and Retro are being extremely careful to get it right

Ohh that's heartwarming to hear!! 🥺
I'll be like this if Metroid Prime 4 shows up, I think I'll even record my live reaction just to save it to see a moment of joy later!!

Btw, I really really hope your dreams eventually come true and Dragalia Lost for Switch or Dragalia Lost 2 is announced!! I think the original did pretty well? Nintendo's been doubling down on new IP this gen so I'd be surprised if they didn't bring it to home consoles eventually.
The game had its dedicated fanbase, but it failed to monetize them properly because, and this really sucks to say, it was too generous of a gacha. There was very little reason to spend money on it, and so the money just wasn't flowing in like they'd hoped.

There's also the fact that the production costs for new content were multiple times more expensive than those for Fire Emblem Heroes, which was (and still is) incredibly successful, and eventually Nintendo lost interest.

That, and a lot of time and money invested in a flopped battle royale mode, kinda sealed its fate.

But it would make for a very cool smaller, digital-only title on the eShop even just as it was when servers closed. There are so many cool characters, FFXIV-like boss battles and story events in there.

I think it's a combination of
  • Covid-related time dilation making everything take longer
  • needing to scale up after seeming to get stuck in the mud for a bit after Tropical Freeze
  • it seems that for at least some of Prime 4's development, they were also mid-to-late into Prime Remastered development and would have had to juggle both for a bit
  • Game development just takes longer these days across the board compared to the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox days
  • Nintendo and Retro both wanting to take the time to get things right (Nintendo in general seems to be willing to give games a lot more time than most publishers, and I imagine that's even more the case after the first attempt at Prime 4 went so disastrously that they very publicly rebooted it)

The game had its dedicated fanbase, but it failed to monetize them properly because, and this really sucks to say, it was too generous of a gacha. There was very little reason to spend money on it, and so the money just wasn't flowing in like they'd hoped.

There's also the fact that the production costs for new content were multiple times more expensive than those for Fire Emblem Heroes, which was (and still is) incredibly successful, and eventually Nintendo lost interest.

That, and a lot of time and money invested in a flopped battle royale mode, kinda sealed its fate.
Dragalia Lost sadly never released in France...
Welp this is pretty much lost media now.

I don’t think there’s many first party leaks because there isn’t much to leak at the moment.

Switch 1 is over. Switch 2 will be the main platform so I expect this direct to cover the last of switch 1 first party reveals for only switch 1. Something like Prime 4 and FE 4 might be saved for switch 2 reveal but will be on switch 1 as well.

I could be wrong and probably am very wrong. But personally, it’s more I don’t expect this direct to be some grand swang song. I expect it to be a buffer for the rest of the time before the Switch 2 presentation. That’ll be fun.

there were 1st party games in the June direct last year that Pyoro just never even hinted at. Meanwhile he leaked Endless Ocean last time but can't be bothered to leak a single 1st party game this time?

Call it denial, but I'm not 100% confident he can actually see everything, and this sounds like him hedging his bets because they've managed to hide all/most 1st party announcements from him this time

it's over, pack it up guys.

Feels like they lost their source(s) or at least being much less specific than they used to…

Most anyone could guess there will be a decent number of third party software. With the Direct likely restating a lot of stuff shown during SGF for at least titles the Switch could handle.

-Fantasian Console Announcement
-Lego: Horizon Adventures
-Among Us Update
-Ace Attorney Investigations
-Dragon Quest HD2D
-Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
-Darkest Dungeon 2
-Sonic x Shadow Generations

Last edited:
I would say that's a hype killer, but them saying "expect" also feels like a red flag. They didn't say their source was plugged or not either. But I am nervous now regardless. I hope maybe this means we still get desired ports maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom