• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that this happened and nobody was like ”maybe we shouldn’t do this“ is insane. And it’s even crazier how Nintendo, who is usually 5 steps a head of what everyone else is doing, didn’t think that the Wii U might be a PS3 situation only far more disastrous
After the PS2 they really thought they could get away with anything

The fact that this happened and nobody was like ”maybe we shouldn’t do this“ is insane. And it’s even crazier how Nintendo, who is usually 5 steps a head of what everyone else is doing, didn’t think that the Wii U might be a PS3 situation only far more disastrous
Then years later Microsoft went "let's try that too" and overpriced the XBOX One and they still haven't recovered.

I mean it won’t be, but if DQ 3 HD-2D was the only holiday title I would still be hyped lol

Also, we have a new Super Monkey Ball and Luigi’s Mansion 2 next week. I still haven’t finished Paper Mario. If this is scared Nintendo then I’m for it

This is a major reach, but if they're truly teasing something and not just trolling this could be a Metroid Prime 4 tease as Sylux has been built up to be a major character in Metroid Prime 4 based on Prime 3 and Federation Force's ending. So them saying Samus should 1v1 them (Samus vs Sylux) could be a hint.

should also put caution that they haven't leaked anything since 2022

This is a major reach, but if they're truly teasing something and not just trolling this could be a Metroid Prime 4 tease as Sylux has been built up to be a major character in Metroid Prime 4 based on Prime 3 and Federation Force's ending. So them saying Samus should 1v1 them (Samus vs Sylux) could be a hint.

He's actually been build up since Metroid Hunters i think.

Making sylux be the main antagonist of Prime 4 would be peak and would hopefully conclude the 2 decade build up.

Then years later Microsoft went "let's try that too" and overpriced the XBOX One and they still haven't recovered.
I'm starting to think that the "third console curse" thing is just an ego thing tbh.

N64 - "We lead this business for 2 generations, third-parties owe it to us"
PS3 - "250 million over 2 generations? Yeah they'll buy us over Nintendo. What's an Xbox?"
XbOne - "Ahh we beat Sony at their own game and the Kinect paid a lot of money. That media service idea is really compelling guys."
Wii U - "Gimmicks are a great idea but the Wii sales are drying up, Nintendo Land and the casual audience can carry us through the earlier period like with Wii Sports."

Feels like this kind of thing can be avoided if they had some self-awareness but wishful thinking ig.

He's actually been build up since Metroid Hunters i think.

Making sylux be the main antagonist of Prime 4 would be peak and would hopefully conclude the 2 decade build up.
would be weird if he didn't since they been hinting at him being the big bag for prime 4 for 3 GAMES

I'm starting to think that the "third console curse" thing is just an ego thing tbh.

PS3 - "250 million over 2 generations? Yeah they'll buy us over Nintendo. What's an Xbox?"
XbOne - "Ahh we beat Sony at their own game and the Kinect paid a lot of money. That media service idea is really compelling guys."
Wii U - "Gimmicks are a great idea but the Wii sales are drying up, Nintendo Land and the casual audience can carry us through the earlier period like with Wii Sports."

Feels like this kind of thing can be avoided if they had some self-awareness but wishful thinking ig.
and them we have the genaration ps5 and xbox series who already reach their higher sales for a year , with low total sales and low "next gen games"

switch was the only one who postergated this plateau

Blud forgot about the Sega Saturn and PS vita, two devices that killed both respective division of consoles and handheld.

But the PS Vita hurts the most, since it got abandoned right out of the box.

The Metroid game in Nintendo land is like legit amazing, especially if you're playing 5-player multiplayer!!
I always played that one and Zelda with my dad. He held the GamePad while I was on the TV with the remote.

It's a fun, geniunely innovative and clever multiplayer experience that you can actually make some progress on. Mario Kart, Mario Party and Smash are fun of course, but it's just endless rounds of the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if Nintendo truly did just double down on split motion controls and had a Wii 2 with an updated Wii remote + nunchuk, turning them into proto joy cons. The Gamepad felt like a compromise between traditional controls and a new gimmick, fine in theory ('we want both audiences'), but it veered away from the arcadey motion controls that made the Wii so appealing to casual audiences and tried to incorporate the DS's two screens in an environment that wasn't necessarily suited to it, with only a few experiences that leveraged 'two screens at home' well.

Nate got me thinking that Metroid Prime 4 could end up being a cross-gen title. Where there is a trailer for the Direct tomorrow either to open or close the Direct, but when it shows a date after a trailer, it states 'Metroid Prime 4, Releasing in 2025' (they've very rarely ever just stuck to the time period they say for a Direct). Which then everyone gets thinking about what it means.

Nintendo then announces Metroid Prime 2 and 3 as a digital only (more Pikmin 1+2 than Metroid Prime 1 retouching) release. As well as announcing a Metroid Prime Trilogy Special Edition physical for the Switch that includes the 3 games all on one cart and includes some extra goodies to be released in the Summer/Fall.

Last edited:
and them we have the genaration ps5 and xbox series who already reach their higher sales for a year , with low total sales and low "next gen games"

switch was the only one who postergated this plateau
I legit do not know how to approach the PS5 and Series X/S generation in my mind. I don't think they're embarrassing failure of systems that never should've been made, but I think they're just kinda proof that the home console industry has peaked and development costs/advancements in gaming graphics cannot go much further either. The Switch being the only system with notable growth is telling to me, but I guess we'll have to see if the Switch 2 also sees large amounts of growth.
Blud forgot about the Sega Saturn and PS vita, two devices that killed both respective division of consoles and handheld.

But the PS Vita hurts the most, since it got abandoned right out of the box.
SEGA Saturn is a good shout but the PS Vita is a second system to me. PSP then PSVita. I'm aware that there was something called the Pocketstation, but that was a memory card. It's like calling the NMUs of the Dreamcast their own console tbh.
Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if Nintendo truly did just double down on split motion controls and had a Wii 2 with an updated Wii remote + nunchuk, turning them into proto joy cons. The Gamepad felt like a compromise between traditional controls and a new gimmick, fine in theory ('we want both audiences'), but it veered away from the arcadey motion controls that made the Wii so appealing to casual audiences and tried to incorporate the DS's two screens in an environment that wasn't necessarily suited to it, with only a few experiences that leveraged 'two screens at home' well.
I don't think the situation would've changed much (the marketing itself killed the Wii U stone dead), but it would've at least resulted in a likely stronger release schedule that didn't lean as much on R&D as before for console gimmicks. Also less titles that weren't killed as a result of Gamepad integration like Star Fox Zero or Color Splash.

You guys really think at this point there’s gonna be a June direct just because furukawa saod there will and just because Nintendo tweeted some random date?? Yeah, ok pal see you in September

Sylux (the character not the leaker) is so funny to me. For seemingly at least 17 years, Tanabe has wanted to make a game about this random fucking dude from Prime Hunters, the DS spinoff game. He has been teased in post credits scenes as the next major villain in both of the last two Prime games dating all the way back to 2007. And after all that time, just about no one has actually given a shit, because why would they, he was in the Prime game with the least focus on story, he had no dialogue, and his design, frankly, kind of sucks.

If he's actually still the main antagonist of Prime 4 post the development restart, and Retro actually manages to make him and his design interesting, then major props to them because as of now I have no clue what Tanabe is trying to cook here with this

I don't think the situation would've changed much (the marketing itself killed the Wii U stone dead), but it would've at least resulted in a likely stronger release schedule that didn't lean as much on R&D as before for console gimmicks. Also less titles that weren't killed as a result of Gamepad integration like Star Fox Zero or Color Splash.
In this hypothetical world that exists in the recesses of my mind, I would've named it something else and changed the branding.

hh93yt052yk51.png

And yes I would use the literal X from the Xenoblade X logo. Because.

I legit do not know how to approach the PS5 and Series X/S generation in my mind. I don't think they're embarrassing failure of systems that never should've been made, but I think they're just kinda proof that the home console industry has peaked and development costs/advancements in gaming graphics cannot go much further either. The Switch being the only system with notable growth is telling to me, but I guess we'll have to see if the Switch 2 also sees large amounts of growth.
The PS5 and Series X/S has been weird, not that it's bad, but it somehow doesn't feel that special, most of the games i have been playing on the PS5 are PS4 games, the only game that made me feel ,, Wow, this is NG'' has been Alan Wake 2 and maybe Demon Souls remake.

I feel like Covid has somehow thrust and made people realise ,,damn, i should have kept my PS4 Pro''. Like the main problem with this generation, has been that Covid as screwed countless of developers, with released dates and delays, it's how the Switch Pro would have happened if covid didn't happen.

In some way, Covid has caused a long lasting stain in the industry. Also i find it crazy how Xbox didn't release a launch exclusive and made Halo Infinite a cross gen title.

Also development time has been a huge issue as well, heck there hasn't been a new elder scroll for 13 years and the elder scroll 6 trailer is funnily now 6 years old.

All this Dragalia Lost talk online has got me hoping for an announcement tomorrow.. why do I do this to myself lol
Unbelievable that there's a small minuscule bit of hope at all, do I dare dream?

BTW, even if y'all don't care about this franchise you should check out the soundtrack. It's so good.

I wonder what's the future of Nintendo's mobile division in general. Super Mario Run and Mario Kart Tour will always be there but they are presumably done getting new content, Pocket Camp seems like its starting to wind down, and I have no idea what's going on with Pikmin Bloom. Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes will be the last bastions lest Nintendo feels like making another mobile game. Zelda feels like the last major franchise to not be represented in any way, and I guess something Splatoon could also work. WarioWare and Nintendogs have long been suggested as prime candidates but I think they would have already happened if they were ever going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom