• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3: Splatfest World Premiere |ST| Romance of the Three Inkdoms (Splatfest Over, See Threadmarks For Results)

What Splatfest team are you picking?

• Rock

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Paper

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Scissors

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just bad and the opponents were that good but I have had 2 tri-colour matches so far, and I felt like I couldn't push at all. If the defending team know what they're doing, I think it's not too bad for them. Anyway, 3 is looking to be really good and I expect it will be even more well-received after this. Makes me think this kind of demo is such a great idea from Nintendo.

Oh, you're saying wait until halftime to pick a side to guarantee you're on the defending team? That's interesting, and I hadn't even considered that halftime could skew voting. That's an interesting side effect.
Yeah this was one of my big concerns walking in. I’m glad you still have something you can do if you have four people, but for the special mode if you want a certain role or have a set group size and want to do the special mode, you’ll just have to sit out the first day of these limited time events. It’s definitely going to alter how people approach voting and participation too.

Today I decided to gamble I wouldn’t get more than one friend, but I did end up getting two. If Scissors wasn’t winning, no Tricolor for us.

look I'm not saying Nintendo isn't doing their best on the whole Internet thing but I've been thrown out of like a dozen matches for supposed connection issues despite using a LAN adapter

YMMV, but I had a rock-solid connection with fast queue times and only one disconnect (not me) across several dozen matches, it was absolutely night and day from Splatoon 2

I was probably .500 overall in terms of wins and losses but once I shook the rust off I had a lot of fun. Definitely looking forward to the full game.

To my fellow Rock team mates: no matter what the results are, we will always be the People's Champions.

tenor.gif

Nintendo has a lot to improve on their online experience in general, mind you. Complaining about the stuff they haven't gotten right is more than fair. Pointlessly bitching in a non constructive manner repeatedly about how the game is "unacceptable" in a thread full of people that very openly aren't having the same issues at all and going into "stop defending this!!!!" when called out on it, or people suggest the possibility it might be on their end doesn't actually help anyone, isn't constructive, and doesn't actually conduct to anything. Heck, if the problem is America's infrastructure being lacking, then shouldn't those complaints be aimed at their ISP instead? I don't mind the complaints at all, it's the attitude that bothers me.

I've been playing the Splatfest for an extended period of time on WiFi (Through an extender, too, which should add some extra latency!) because half of my house it's a construction zone right now, and it was pretty much flawless. I refuse to believe there's absolutely nothing that user couldn't have done on their end to improve their online experience. Heck, if their home internet is not up to the task, phone tethering is likely gonna yield better results. But usually can get fixed just by moving the switch around, playing around with the channels on the router, moving some antennas, or just buying a proper wireless AP to connect to the router. It's something you can very likely fix. Do it. Don't whine and ask for someone else to do it for you. Take action. Do something meaningful instead of complaining and waiting for someone to fix everything. That's not here nor there, but that's most of the internet right now. People complaining without actually trying anything active to fix those problems themselves.

Not saying this isn't something Nintendo couldn't do better at, or something dedicated servers couldn't mitigate, but it's also not a priority for Nintendo to fix. Because at the end of the day, out of the people playing Splatoon, the people experiencing this issues are a minority (Mostly because most people in that situation won't even play again). Just like how most of the playerbase doesn't mind the controller input lag, or the map rotations, or a lot of other design decisions some people might find "unacceptable" and "baffling".
No, sorry; you're just annoyed at the argument itself, not any 'attitude.' You aren't simply suggesting alternatives to someone who's complaining about a legitimate problem they're having, you're actively trying to shut them down my implying that they have to be at fault, and that - due to their minority status - their viewpoints are less valid. I'll remind you that this was your original post:
Mario Kart is a way less network intensive game. Your internet is not up to it. You can fix it in your end or keep complaining to an empty room.

Seriously, it's as simple as that. Nintendo ain't gonna send a tech to your house to figure out why you're dropping from matches.
Nothing constructive there - nothing that would actually improve the conversation by making it seem like you're 'not' just angry at the argument itself - just "fix your shit and shut up." Assuming that Nintendo couldn't possibly have any issues with their online systems, and that the problem is simply that the other guy was just 'too lazy' to 'fix their shit.'

It reminds me of the PS5's coil whine situation. Yes, most people could have their problem fixed by going through the lengthy process of sending the console back to Sony, waiting for a return, and hoping that their saves haven't been wiped along the way. Yes, the majority of people don't have the problem either. However, it's not up to them to 'shut up and sit down' because of those facts; it's up to Sony, the multi-billion yen corporation, to fix their own shit. Same as with joy-con drifting, or Cyberpunk 2077's various bugs on consoles, or the Skyrim bugs - which have been 'fixable' for a decade now - that still persist to re-releases even today. In all cases, people could be more 'productive'... or the person selling a product, could make a better product. Things shouldn't need to get to Red Ring of Death levels of 'endemic' to be seen as a legitimate problem.

And I say "could" because, like it or not, many people can't. Or, they have, and the issue still persists. Fundamentally a P2P connection is only as good as the 'host' of the match you're connecting to, but even then there are a litany of problems that can prevent people from "fixing their shit." Internet is expensive as fuck and can't easily be changed, LAN cables are often hard to actually use (e.g. if you live in a shared house), and what might be 'just fiddle with some antennas bro' is something unknown to most people. That's not to mention how the game is aimed at children 7 or up; I doubt many 8 year olds know about NAT settings or port forwarding, and even if they did I doubt they'd also have the capacity to change them. As I said before, it shouldn't be up to the general consumer to 'fix their shit' because of the decisions made by Nintendo themselves.

So, no. I don't think you just have an issue with the "attitude." You don't have an issue with people simply not fixing stuff that can possibly be fixed. That could be a part of it, but predominantly I think you have an issue with the very idea that someone might complain about the game's online systems. I mean... if this were truly a case of being tired of "people complaining without trying to fix those problems themselves," then... why bring up map rotations, or controller input lag, or the very idea that being a 'minority viewpoint' matters at all? You can't change any of those things, yet you're using them to shut down other people anyway because, no, you just don't like that someone is complaining about Splatoon's connection issues.

Last edited:
I think I'm going insane or getting gaslit by this game. I've chosen Tricolor Battle 3 times and it's put me in Turf War every time. I don't get it. Why give us a choice if it actually isn't one? I just want to try Tricolor Battle.

I think I'm going insane or getting gaslit by this game. I've chosen Tricolor Battle 3 times and it's put me in Turf War every time. I don't get it. Why give us a choice if it actually isn't one? I just want to try Tricolor Battle.
From what I understand the first place team gets put in Tricolour randomly, are you Team Scissors? For me and my friend we joined turf war lobby, mostly we would get Tricolour and sometimes regular.

Other peeps, please cool it with the aggression in replies :/

From what I understand the first place team gets put in Tricolour randomly, are you Team Scissors? For me and my friend we joined turf war lobby, mostly we would get Tricolour and sometimes regular.

Other peeps, please cool it with the aggression in replies :/
I'm team rock.

It makes zero sense to offer different choices if you can't actually participate in those choices. I've gotten an actual TB 1 time out of like 7 choosing the option. DON'T MAKE IT AN OPTION IF YOU'RE GONNA PUT ME IN SOMETHING ELSE

I'm team rock.

It makes zero sense to offer different choices if you can't actually participate in those choices. I've gotten an actual TB 1 time out of like 7 choosing the option. DON'T MAKE IT AN OPTION IF YOU'RE GONNA PUT ME IN SOMETHING ELSE
Wait, can you not pick the bottom option in the lobby for Tri? I can't cause I'm Scissors. Or does it just put you into normal Turf anyways?

Wait, can you not pick the bottom option in the lobby for Tri? I can't cause I'm Scissors. Or does it just put you into normal Turf anyways?
It puts you in normal turf if it can't find a tricolor battle, which I think is really stupid bc most of the time it doesn't even bother to matchmake for over 20 seconds before putting you in a 4v4 even though it could've waited longer

Selecting Tricolor Battle as a losing team doesn't even guarantee it for you anyway, and I heard Rock members in particular seemed to have a rough time not getting a regular battle. They were likely the more popular losing team.
I can only speak from personal experience but I was on Team Rock, and I wasn't getting a lot of tricolor battles until very late into the splatfest. Most of my battles were regular turf wars.

I've only won a single defending match when both signals were taken... they need longer C/D between protections to make it a bigger deal, they shouldn't come back almost right away.

finally got my first 100x win ever!!! The little dance is so cute too. I think I'm done for the day. Man, what an experience!
Oops. I forgot to do the squid roll thing. I don't actually recall it in the tutorial either. I can definitely see it being essential. Roll on the 9th.
yeah, I kept forgetting to use the roll too. Saw some players pull some really sick moves with it! Earlier, faced a dualies player that just toyed with my team with their extremely fast movement.

No, sorry; you're just annoyed at the argument itself, not any 'attitude.' You aren't simply suggesting alternatives to someone who's complaining about a legitimate problem they're having, you're actively trying to shut them down my implying that they have to be at fault, and that - due to their minority status - their viewpoints are less valid. I'll remind you that this was your original post:

Nothing constructive there - nothing that would actually improve the conversation by making it seem like you're 'not' just angry at the argument itself - just "fix your shit and shut up." Assuming that Nintendo couldn't possibly have any issues with their online systems, and that the problem is simply that the other guy was just 'too lazy' to 'fix their shit.'

It reminds me of the PS5's coil whine situation. Yes, most people could have their problem fixed by going through the lengthy process of sending the console back to Sony, waiting for a return, and hoping that their saves haven't been wiped along the way. Yes, the majority of people don't have the problem either. However, it's not up to them to 'shut up and sit down' because of those facts; it's up to Sony, the multi-billion yen corporation, to fix their own shit. Same as with joy-con drifting, or Cyberpunk 2077's various bugs on consoles, or the Skyrim bugs - which have been 'fixable' for a decade now - that still persist to re-releases even today. In all cases, people could be more 'productive'... or the person selling a product, could make a better product. Things shouldn't need to get to Red Ring of Death levels of 'endemic' to be seen as a legitimate problem.

And I say "could" because, like it or not, many people can't. Or, they have, and the issue still persists. Fundamentally a P2P connection is only as good as the 'host' of the match you're connecting to, but even then there are a litany of problems that can prevent people from "fixing their shit." Internet is expensive as fuck and can't easily be changed, LAN cables are often hard to actually use (e.g. if you live in a shared house), and what might be 'just fiddle with some antennas bro' is something unknown to most people. That's not to mention how the game is aimed at children 7 or up; I doubt many 8 year olds know about NAT settings or port forwarding, and even if they did I doubt they'd also have the capacity to change them. As I said before, it shouldn't be up to the general consumer to 'fix their shit' because of the decisions made by Nintendo themselves.

So, no. I don't think you just have an issue with the "attitude." You don't have an issue with people simply not fixing stuff that can possibly be fixed. That could be a part of it, but predominantly I think you have an issue with the very idea that someone might complain about the game's online systems. I mean... if this were truly a case of being tired of "people complaining without trying to fix those problems themselves," then... why bring up map rotations, or controller input lag, or the very idea that being a 'minority viewpoint' matters at all? You can't change any of those things, yet you're using them to shut down other people anyway because, no, you just don't like that someone is complaining about Splatoon's connection issues.

First, please stop reading my post and assuming my intentions or goals with it are a different thing than I specifically stated just because it fits your narrative better. It's invalidating, incredibly toxic, directly attacks my agency on this conversation, and definitely doesn't contribute to anything positive. If I was annoyed at the argument itself I'd have said as much myself, thank you.

Second, please do research into how Splatoon's netcode actually works - there's not "match host" in the traditional sense; there's a master console that controls general parameters about the match, yes, but most of the communication is a mesh between all the clients, with no console acting as a "host" in the conventional sense. You can learn more on this Oatmealdome blog post. - before making assumptions on it.

Third, I'm bringing up those other problems as an example of why this isn't "getting fixed". It isn't "getting fixed" because the "fix" is trying to make up for people's individual internet connections not being up for the networking requirements Splatoon has. And maybe in some of those cases, there just isn't anything to do there, and their internet connection just isn't up for it. By the time I got to the thread there was people suggesting that user that their experience wasn't universal, and he was just blowing them off. Very little advice to offer there save from restating that same thing.

Fourth, and this is the point I wanted to make: People should get used to having to fix things on their side, even if it isn't technically "their fault". The coil whine situation is a perfect example, actually. Yes, it's Sony's fault! You can either yell for ages at Sony about it being its fault, or you can try to get it fixed!! The Joycon Drift is Nintendo (and whoever makes the analog stick sensor's) fault! Complaining isn't gonna get your Joycon fixed!! Splatoon's netcode and network structure could be better, ISPs could have better infrastructure, router manufacturers could make better products; but you can actually make it better on your side!!

Is it unfair? Absolutely! But as I see it, the choices are basically "Just go and fix a problem that isn't your fault" or "Keep complaining about it, do nothing to fix it, nothing gets fixed". One fixes the problem, for you, on your end, even if it wasn't your fault. There's an immediate improvement to your quality of life. The other doesn't do anything but give you an outlet to be angry; problem doesn't even get fixed at all, you just remain mad forever. And this is general life advice. Yes, it is unfair, but sometimes you have to fix stuff that isn't your fault. Then if you want you can complain, because complaining is fair. But get it fixed first, for your own sake.

First, please stop reading my post and assuming my intentions or goals with it are a different thing than I specifically stated just because it fits your narrative better. It's invalidating, incredibly toxic, directly attacks my agency on this conversation, and definitely doesn't contribute to anything positive. If I was annoyed at the argument itself I'd have said as much myself, thank you.

Second, please do research into how Splatoon's netcode actually works - there's not "match host" in the traditional sense; there's a master console that controls general parameters about the match, yes, but most of the communication is a mesh between all the clients, with no console acting as a "host" in the conventional sense. You can learn more on this Oatmealdome blog post. - before making assumptions on it.

Third, I'm bringing up those other problems as an example of why this isn't "getting fixed". It isn't "getting fixed" because the "fix" is trying to make up for people's individual internet connections not being up for the networking requirements Splatoon has. And maybe in some of those cases, there just isn't anything to do there, and their internet connection just isn't up for it. By the time I got to the thread there was people suggesting that user that their experience wasn't universal, and he was just blowing them off. Very little advice to offer there save from restating that same thing.

Fourth, and this is the point I wanted to make: People should get used to having to fix things on their side, even if it isn't technically "their fault". The coil whine situation is a perfect example, actually. Yes, it's Sony's fault! You can either yell for ages at Sony about it being its fault, or you can try to get it fixed!! The Joycon Drift is Nintendo (and whoever makes the analog stick sensor's) fault! Complaining isn't gonna get your Joycon fixed!! Splatoon's netcode and network structure could be better, ISPs could have better infrastructure, router manufacturers could make better products; but you can actually make it better on your side!!

Is it unfair? Absolutely! But as I see it, the choices are basically "Just go and fix a problem that isn't your fault" or "Keep complaining about it, do nothing to fix it, nothing gets fixed". One fixes the problem, for you, on your end, even if it wasn't your fault. There's an immediate improvement to your quality of life. The other doesn't do anything but give you an outlet to be angry; problem doesn't even get fixed at all, you just remain mad forever. And this is general life advice. Yes, it is unfair, but sometimes you have to fix stuff that isn't your fault. Then if you want you can complain, because complaining is fair. But get it fixed first, for your own sake.
You're entirely missing the point - I can't 'fix' it. If one person's connection drops out, or if one person decides to leave the match, it ruins the game for everybody - and it's not, in my opinion, good enough that Nintendo, 2 sequels in to this franchise, have done nothing to improve upon the connection issues in this game. It's frustrating. And it could be so much better, it's Nintendo who are actually choosing not to do anything about it it. I could have the best internet connection in the world, and it doesn't matter because if somebody else in the game has a bad connection, it ruins the experience for everybody.

Last edited:
I'm confused about the whole region thing: when I started playing, it told me I was in AUS/NZ/S.Korea region as an Australian. I was a bit bummed out as I usually enjoy playing with Japanese players in Splatoon 2, but whatevs kept playing. However in the last 2-3 hours I have been teaming and playing with a bunch of JP players and our Splatfests ended at the same time. However they had their own region for the event so... why were we playing together?

(Limmy voice) I don't get it

Ultimately, it's a $60 buy in for a new campaign and a 2 year roadmap of new content and Splatfests. If you're willing to engage with the game consistently over that period of time, it's absolutely worth buying. If not, then I don't think there's any reason to pick it up at the moment.
It's also a global progression reset to some degree I think (I'm unclear on what exactly is getting carried over from Splat 2). For people who didn't pick up Splatoon 2 at launch that's important as you get a bit of time to play the game before the meta sets in and people start min/maxing their gear to hell. I could see after 5 years Splatoon 2 being really frustrating to start out in for a fresh player.

Whether or not that's worth $60 is definitely a YMMV but I think that's one of the key reasons for a new game rather than just glomming a patch + DLC onto the existing one (which would probably be very hefty to do anyways).

I'm confused about the whole region thing: when I started playing, it told me I was in AUS/NZ/S.Korea region as an Australian. I was a bit bummed out as I usually enjoy playing with Japanese players in Splatoon 2, but whatevs kept playing. However in the last 2-3 hours I have been teaming and playing with a bunch of JP players and our Splatfests ended at the same time. However they had their own region for the event so... why were we playing together?

(Limmy voice) I don't get it
JP players probably picked the AUS/NZ/S.Korea region?

You're entirely missing the point - I can't 'fix' it. If one person's connection drops out, or if one person decides to leave the match, it ruins the game for everybody - and it's not, in my opinion, good enough that Nintendo, 2 sequels in to this franchise, have done nothing to improve upon the connection issues in this game. It's frustrating. And it could be so much better, it's Nintendo who are actually choosing not to do anything about it it. I could have the best internet connection in the world, and it doesn't matter because if somebody else in the game has a bad connection, it ruins the experience for everybody.
What do you want me to do about it?

Team Scissors got annihilated in EU.. OTL

i thought we'd atleast get the majority vote T_T

Gg all though!

Team Rock won every region, I believe. In Europe, Team Paper won most Pro clout, but that distinction went to Team Scissors in Asia.

Splatoon JP account also confirms they will be working to improve matchmaking and Tricolor battles in the future.

My Scissor team lost three out of three, but I was man of the match on all three occassions, when I wanted to play again today the Splatfest was over... Oh well, I had a brief period of fun so I'm looking forward to the full experience 👍

Okay, then how isn't everyone complaining about this, then? Because if it's as serious as you believe it to be, there clearly should be more people here having similar issues, right? Even statistically, in a small group compared to the wider playerbase, i mean.

How well Splatoon's netcode works is entirely based on where you live. It works flawlessly in Japan and other countries where almost the entire population has access to high speed, stable internet. However, in places with poorer internet infrastructure, it may not work as well.

There is no point in telling someone the netcode is flawless and needs no changing when they had a bad experience, and there is no point in telling someone the netcode is horrible and doesn't work at all when they had a good experience. It is all up to Nintendo to make sure it works well for as many people as possible.

Okay, then how isn't everyone complaining about this, then? Because if it's as serious as you believe it to be, there clearly should be more people here having similar issues, right? Even statistically, in a small group compared to the wider playerbase, i mean.
If you looked on Twitter instead of the bubble of a small forum you would see that it's a big issue.

Do also keep in mind, even if a minority of people have a problem, if it's serious enough it's a major problem.

If I had a pre-order open I'd cancel it out of shame based on my performance last night.

Sorry Team Scissors for letting you all down. I'll see myself out.

5vdr5xK.gif

I'm kidding here. I'm still getting the game and will continue to be an albatross around the neck of each Splatfest team I sign up for.

again, what do you want us to do about it?

edit: make it happen

I don't think they want us to do anything about it, and discussing an issue Nintendo can do something about is a completely fair thing to do.

again, what do you want us to do about it?

edit: make it happen

I feel like he just doesn't want people to tell him to fuck off when it's a legit problem for him. Venting about an annoyance regarding a game he likes and shit. He's just talking about the game/demo like everybody else here or am I missing something? Linking change.org which does nothing is a weird way to respond to that imo. But I don't even play Splatoon so I should probably be the one to stfu

Edit: realized the uses of fuck and shit might come off as aggressive(?) that's just how I talk though, didn't mean it in a negative way "games he likes and shit" for example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom