• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3: Splatfest World Premiere |ST| Romance of the Three Inkdoms (Splatfest Over, See Threadmarks For Results)

What Splatfest team are you picking?

• Rock

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Paper

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Scissors

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like he just doesn't want people to tell him to fuck off when it's a legit problem for him. Venting about an annoyance regarding a game he likes and shit. He's just talking about the game/demo like everybody else here or am I missing something? Linking change.org which does nothing is a weird way to respond to that imo. But I don't even play Splatoon so I should probably be the one to stfu

Edit: realized the uses of fuck and shit might come off as aggressive(?) that's just how I talk though, didn't mean it in a negative way "games he likes and shit" for example
Thanks - this is it. I think the game is great fun and I had a good time, but I was really disappointed with the connection issues. That's all.

So what I’m learning here is that the best strategy is to wait to pick a team until halftime so I can avoid being a tricolor defender lol
At least they already promised they'll improve matchmaking and tricolor balancing!

Honestly didn’t expect the demo to make me less excited for the full game but here we are :(

Constant connection errors (which by looking on Twitter pretty much everyone was suffering from) and tricolor splatfests being garbage for the leading team (if one of the other teams gets the ultra singnal it’s pretty much an instant loss) kinda hurt the experience for me. Hope this all gets fixed up before launch.

Only Nintendo knows how the Tricolor battles actually impacted the results, so despite being on Team Scissors I'm still not jumping on the hate train. I think it's inevitable they'll change something about the scoring system though, since the subjective "do people feel like it's fair" metric is a pretty important one regardless of what's actually going behind the scenes. And right now compared to Splatoon 2 people don't perceive it as fair.

For what it’s worth, I lost an ultra signal the only Tricolor battle I won. Losing one is not the end of the world, but losing a second one to that same team is.

The easy fix would be to extend the cooldown between the ultra signal protection and respawn. The attacking teams should be punished for recklessly trying to take it.

We did it! Way to go Team Rock!
the-rock-entrance.gif

The weird thing is how the popularity apparently went from 33.01% - 32.85% - 34.13% at halftime to 45.44% - 19.59% - 34.95% at the end.
How does this even work? It's so opaque...
They show you everything in the in-game results. The most popular team gets +10 points, the team with the most Clout in Open gets +15 points, and the team with the most Clout in Pro gets +10 points. The team with the most points wins.

I should block everyone not on team scissors
Hate the game, not the players. I was team scissors too, and am just confused by the whole affair. Never experienced a disconnect but did have to wait 7-8 minutes for a match before giving up and exiting the game. Tri color battle was a massacre for me, probably misunderstood the rules. As far as the new weapons and abilities, I barely got a feel for them during matches, and the test arena is disappointingly limited. Ultimately I'm left with more questions than answers from this demo.

The weird thing is how the popularity apparently went from 33.01% - 32.85% - 34.13% at halftime to 45.44% - 19.59% - 34.95% at the end.

They show you everything in the in-game results. The most popular team gets +10 points, the team with the most Clout in Open gets +15 points, and the team with the most Clout in Pro gets +10 points. The team with the most points wins.
At the time the splatfest ended in Europe the only information I could find in the game was "wait for final results". The fact that there was no indication of anything in the game itself is very confusing to me. If there was an indication, I completely missed it.

Quoted by: LiC
Halftime was clout, not popularity
That makes more sense. Which clout, though?

At the time the splatfest ended in Europe the only information I could find in the game was "wait for final results". The fact that there was no indication of anything in the game itself is very confusing to me. If there was an indication, I completely missed it.
They didn't show results because they were waiting for all the regions to end. After that, you could log back in and get the results for you region. In the final game, you'll get the results right after the Splatfest is over.

They didn't show results because they were waiting for all the regions to end. After that, you could log back in and get the results for you region. In the final game, you'll get the results right after the Splatfest is over.
That's better, but still the bare minimum as far as I'm concerned. The system needs to be much more transparent, in my opinion. If such a huge change can happen during the second half, the information should be reflected in the game in (more or less) real time.

ROCK AND ROLL BABY, LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!

...ahem. Good games, well played, looking forward to see the tweaks to Tricolor matches they plan on making.

So what I’m learning here is that the best strategy is to wait to pick a team until halftime so I can avoid being a tricolor defender lol
I realize this is sarcasm to some extent but for anyone who actually thinks this way (because I've seen some people genuinely considering doing this) bear in mind that clout is cumulative across the entire Splatfest. The results you make before halftime carry just as much impact as the ones after.

I don't think Halftime grades popularity votes (which based off of the ending results was something Rock would've had by a landslide), it presumably grades the net average of the overall accumulated Clout. The reason I suspect it works that way is because Team Rock placed last in terms of Pro Clout despite placing first in Open. Scissors placed second in both. Obviously it's highly likely that Rock and Paper made gains over halftime, but Scissors placing smack dab in the middle kind of makes sense then given that they were only marginally ahead of the pack during the early race.

We did it for Shiver Fami!!
Honestly had a ton of fun with the game and it saved my day yesterday because that was horrible. Can't wait to be able to buy the full game whenever it goes on sale or someone sells a physical copy for really cheap lol.
THAT GAME IS A BLAAAAST!!

I realize this is sarcasm to some extent but for anyone who actually thinks this way (because I've seen some people genuinely considering doing this) bear in mind that clout is cumulative across the entire Splatfest. The results you make before halftime carry just as much impact as the ones after.
I'm not gonna be playing Splatfests all day anyway, so it genuinely wasn't sarcasm. I'm probably only gonna have 3-4 hours in me at most, so might as well just hold off until I can choose the side I'll have more fun with.

Splatfest Results
Europe:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.2032.1334.66
Votes % (10p)45.4419.5934.95
Open Clout % (15p)37.7130.3731.90
Pro Clout % (10p)33.0133.5133.46
Score25100

Americas:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.0132.8534.13
Votes % (10p)42.7017.0240.26
Open Clout % (15p)37.0329.8933.06
Pro Clout % (10p)32.7634.9132.32
Score25100

AU/NZ/HK/JP:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.3732.0834.54
Votes % (10p)44.5821.3134.10
Open Clout % (15p)35.9830.0133.99
Pro Clout % (10p)33.0832.5534.35
Score25010

Europe:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.2032.1334.66
Votes % (10p)45.4419.5934.95
Open Clout % (15p)37.7130.3731.90
Pro Clout % (10p)33.0133.5133.46
Score25100

Americas:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.0132.8534.13
Votes % (10p)42.7017.0240.26
Open Clout % (15p)37.0329.8933.06
Pro Clout % (10p)32.7634.9132.32
Score25100

AU/NZ/HK/JP:

RockPaperScissors
Halftime Clout %33.3732.0834.54
Votes % (10p)44.5821.3134.10
Open Clout % (15p)35.9830.0133.99
Pro Clout % (10p)33.0832.5534.35
Score25010

I've gone ahead and threadmarked this, thank you!

Genuinely surprised at how popular Rock was, that's a complete landslide. Wonder if that's due to Rock generally being a popular option for RPS or if it's all because of Shiver lol

This is the change that makes the camera movement and aiming feel better than 2 (was already spotted in the Direct but how the change worked wasn't clear enough)

Last edited:
This is the change that makes the camera movement and aiming feel better than 2 (was already spotted in the Direct but how the change worked wasn't clear enough)

Oh shit that's huge???? Moving left to right without shooting finally won't interfere mid fight anymore

Some general thoughts after playing around 4 hours of the Splatfest:

- It's really cool how much the Hub changes with the Splatfest, with even certain shops and restaurants open during this period that were always closed during regular hours, with those Jellyfish people working in them and everything. It's a huge upgrade from the past games.

- Even the Lobby area, where you can mess around during Matchmaking, is essentially Hub part 2 and further gives the game a greater sense of place compared with the other titles. I'm curious if the upstairs section will have any gameplay functionality in the main game.

- I did encounter a lot of disconnects, both during matchmaking and with maybe a 1/3 of the games played ending abruptly. During the actual matches though, I never experienced any perceptible lag like I had seen in previous titles. I recognize this is also a stress test for the new Matchmaking server stuff, so I hope they got what they need to improve that aspect.

- So, I was definitely rusty, losing more games overall, with a few of them getting stomped pretty badly. You can certainly get spawn camped if you have a much less skilled team. I still typically performed in the top two of whatever teams I was matched with.

- Its impressive how much variety, even just within this testfire, the amount of weapons, subs, and specials give you to play around with in each kit. Even kits that seem similar often require very different strategies in gameplay, and trying to understand and tap into that unique synergy is probably my favorite aspect of the competitive multiplayer side of these games.

- I only did a handful of the Tri-color matches. Even being on the attacking team, I found it way more stressful being on a team of two compared to normal games, because the expectation to playing well weighs so much more on each player and any mistakes or bad plays feel a lot more detrimental.

Last edited:
Oh shit that's huge???? Moving left to right without shooting finally won't interfere mid fight anymore
This + lower midair rng means I'll play Range Blaster a lot more in this game, hitting directs even on ground was so difficult in 2 but now you can actually time your shots without having to fight the camera at the same time. Same with the Nozzlenoses I think. (Obviously it's great for every weapon)

Aw, I'm sad it's over and didn't the run full weekend lol. I was on Team Shiver, woohoo. I don't have a lot to say about the actual gameplay, it just played like Splatoon in the best way and I had a blast, and I managed to find some time to organise some play with my friends so it was just generally great. The hub is kind of spectacular, it's so dense, looking forward to everything being open and interactive. It's reached the size it would be fun to have some secrets hidden around to find. I can't wait for the game to launch 😅 both myself and my partner were playing in the european band and did suffer quite a sizeable number of disconnects and I had an American friend complain about it too (it's not really something I recall suffering so much with the last game) but when the games did hold they played very smoothly and felt great.

Well, the results breakdown has definitely soured me on the experience a bit. I had no idea we were doing that poorly; by the end my squad was winning every other defensive round. Oh well, the game is undeniably fun. I'll probably just skip Splatfests in the future

The Splatfest results are never immediate, it's usually like a rotation or so after it ends. The rotation timing is a bit too loose for them to actually announce the results immediately, because it typically won't interrupt people actively in matchmaking or in battles.

Thanks - this is it. I think the game is great fun and I had a good time, but I was really disappointed with the connection issues. That's all.
And I'm trying to help you improve those on your end. Seriously. How do you connect your switch to the internet?

Well, the results breakdown has definitely soured me on the experience a bit. I had no idea we were doing that poorly; by the end my squad was winning every other defensive round. Oh well, the game is undeniably fun. I'll probably just skip Splatfests in the future
The results really don’t matter in the grand scheme of things. But if you get deep into the gameplay and want to start min/maxing your gear you’re going to want the rewards you get for participating which are tied to your title at the end of the ‘fest. Winning team may or may not get a slight extra one or two but it’s not enough to really make a sizable difference I think.

Does anyone have the new voice lines anywhere? I swear I heard a voice clip that sounded like "I love you" from teammates a few times and I wanna hear it again

For all the fanciful math that goes into Splatfest results behind the screen, making public clout worth 15 points is a hilariously brute way of avoiding ties.

Also, Team Scissors losing the popular vote makes me think Twitter isn't representative of reality...???

Scissors was winning until I started playing and ruined it. sorry guys

I get that the point of tricolor battles is to enable comebacks, but it feels a bit too good at that from my experience in this Splatfest. Hopefully the Ultra Signal will get nerfed a bit before the first post-launch Splatfest.

It took a while for me to get back in the groove of things but in the end I was back to getting 15+ splats per match. It also helps having teammates who I have been playing with since the first Splatoon.

Team Rock for the victory!

You're giving Splatfests way too much credit. They're really just excuses for players to have fun trash talk and post memes.

Losing teams get two less snails than the winner, that's it. Seriously, who cares? I lost nearly every Fest from 2. The only thing I genuinely dislike about Splatfests is it forcing me to play Turf War

These are all the medals I saw awarded:

• Enemy Splatter
  • Overall Splatter
  • Splat Assister
  • Popular Target
  • Damage Taker
  • Turf Inker
  • Home-Base Inker
  • Enemy-Base Inker
  • Base Defender
  • Super Jump Spot
  • Ground Traveler