• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Soul Hackers 2 announced, coming to PS4/5, XSX/S, XBO and Steam this August

steam-deck.gif

Our handheld 3rd party lord and saviour!
Perfect size to bludgeon Harada and co. into submission.

Apparently this is from the TMS. Is there a chance they have a grudge against Nintendo since the game failed to do well on two different Nintendo platforms, and that's why it's on Xbox over Switch?
Why would they hold a grudge for a project that Nintendo paid them to work on?

Apparently this is from the TMS. Is there a chance they have a grudge against Nintendo since the game failed to do well on two different Nintendo platforms, and that's why it's on Xbox over Switch?

This doesn't make much sense. Game developers don't think like this. If they see an opportunity to make money and they have the capability to bring it to a certain platform then they will. Judging from the stream earlier it sounds like they had trouble porting it for whatever reason.

Can Sony put out a Vita successor already? The Steam Deck will never ever be widely available where I'm from, and I'm tired.

This is all just happening because Atlus doesn’t want to put their games on a Nintendo store that will be shut down way too early.

Game looks really good. Looking forward to playing it. I really like the art style a lot. Idiotic business decision to skip Switch, though.

I mean, let's be honest, this game runs on base Xbox One. This isn't a AAA tech showcase like FF XVI or Forspoken.

Imagine showing screenshots from this game to Saber or Iron Galaxy and tell them they couldn't get this running decently.

They'll be like:

mdmfc.jpg

Well that certainly is very Persona inspired. Looks pretty good so I will probably play it eventually anyway, but so much surrounding this is baffling

People act like Switch not getting every single game means it has poor third party support, lol. Meanwhile Xbox still misses plenty of Japanese games. Ditto for Sony and indie games. Games skip platforms for various reasons all the time.

This looks so good! I'm a bit sad it doesn't use the 90s aesthetic, but that was modern back then and this is modern right now, so I get it.

People act like Switch not getting every single game means it has poor third party support, lol. Meanwhile Xbox still misses plenty of Japanese games. Ditto for Sony and indie games. Games skip platforms for various reasons all the time.
But the Switch is the only one where these sort of baffling omissions happen constantly

They said on stream it was due to performance issues. Which considering SMT V makes sense which those issues were noticable.
Considering that this looks below SMT V, various 1st party releases,...and all the other big 3rd party titles that were able to be downported, I'd be genuinely surprised if that was the case. Like if it "only" ran as well as SMT V on the Switch, I'd be plenty happy. It looks like a PS3 era JRPG, if you ask me

I've been scrubbing the stream and still haven't found the mention of Switch anywhere. Would love to see if someone can find that.

It’s ok if the game does not come to Switch.
Not every game hits every console.

I believe the game could have sold the most on Switch in Japan, but we don’t know for sure. Maybe the game has a good-great performance in terms of sales.

On top of that, it’s not like Switch has not a ton of rpgs already available and coming this year.

Regardless of the reason for skipping the Switch, I think SMT V looks better. Maybe the artstyle, but V it’s more appealing to me.

None of it makes sense. If a game can run on any platform and has no exclusivity deal, should be on every platform. And if the devs doesn't have resources to do that, they can ink a deal with a publisher.

Persona Ultimax skipping Xbox also is a silly decision but there was no overreaction as everyone expected to hit Xbox (and Game Pass too) eventually. For this, people are not that sure.

This isn't Soul Hackers, does reminds me of that other game that has nothing to do with the series is based on.

I would just be fine with shrugging off the game, I don't think it looks like something I would play, but they have to stick the name of thing I like, so I still won't get it, but it will on the back of my mind forever.

None of it makes sense. If a game can run on any platform and has no exclusivity deal, should be on every platform. And if the devs doesn't have resources to do that, they can ink a deal with a publisher.
It doesn't. Games take time and money, so publishers and developers need to make effective use of resources.

Just wondering, do you think I'd need to play the first soul hackers game or can I just play this one?

I, too, would prefer to play this on Switch, but we are unfortunately getting to the point where it's quite underpowered for even mid-tier releases. there are a lot of PCs and PS4s in Japan

If they see an opportunity to make money and they have the capability to bring it to a certain platform then they will. Judging from the stream earlier it sounds like they had trouble porting it for whatever reason.
I agree that this most likely has nothing to do with the performance of TMS. However, the bolded shouldn't even be a problem if the Switch had been part of the development pipeline from the start. This is the same studio that was seemingly okay with making Vita the baseline for the Dancing games.

pretty sure the last 3 xbox consoles combined has sold less than 2 million

If SMTV, an Unreal Engine 4 open world can run on Switch then a dungeon crawler probably using the Tokyo Mirage Session engine can too.

I loved SMTV, put about 70 hours into it, but "it runs" is like the nicest thing you can say about it lol.

If SMTV, an Unreal Engine 4 open world can run on Switch then a dungeon crawler probably using the Tokyo Mirage Session engine can too.
maybe! I'm not a game developer. but some of the shit in that trailer looks like stuff the switch would have trouble with. we're talking about a platform that is underpowered compared to a base ps4 here

If that's true, sounds like they def plan to port it down the line.
Yeah if there's any smoke to "Switch Pro is a thing" this is probably a good one. If this was a PS4/PS5 exclusive that'd be one thing. Skipping the most popular system on the market right now is a bizarre choice.

Also this:
I mean, let's be honest, this game runs on base Xbox One. This isn't a AAA tech showcase like FF XVI or Forspoken.

Imagine showing screenshots from this game to Saber or Iron Galaxy and tell them they couldn't get this running decently.

They'll be like:

mdmfc.jpg

True, not every game needs to come on Switch.

However, this is not Persona, which is pretty much the only one that went mainstream, mostly with 5. I love this series, but it is a more niche series. They generally do good enough (but not always obviously). Atlus makes Japanese AF games. This not coming to Switch, with how it is dominant, especially in Japan, is just fucking weird.

Now lets for a moment say it is due to performance issues - despite that Persona 5 looks better than this and could also run on Switch since it is literally a PS3 game - they should have done what Capcom did with Rise and develop it with Switch in mind, and then port to the other consoles with the obvious boosts you get on more powerful hardware.

Even Falcom realized the position of Switch in Japan and changed course and announced they will be developing with Switch in mind from here on out.

It is just.... a really weird decision.

maybe! I'm not a game developer. but some of the shit in that trailer looks like stuff the switch would have trouble with. we're talking about a platform that is underpowered compared to a base ps4 here
...what have they shown off that looks like the Switch would have trouble with it? It straight up looks worse than SMT V and in line with something like TMS

I'm expecting a late port like 13 Sentinels here, maybe they decided on Switch mid development and couldn't get it working in time

True, not every game needs to come on Switch.

However, this is not Persona, which is pretty much the only one that went mainstream, mostly with 5. I love this series, but it is a more niche series. They generally do good enough (but not always obviously). Atlus makes Japanese AF games. This not coming to Switch, with how it is dominant, especially in Japan, is just fucking weird.

Now lets for a moment say it is due to performance issues - despite that Persona 5 looks better than this and could also run on Switch since it is literally a PS3 game - they should have done what Capcom did with Rise and develop it with Switch in mind, and then port to the other consoles with the obvious boosts you get on more powerful hardware.

Even Falcom realized the position of Switch in Japan and changed course and announced they will be developing with Switch in mind from here on out.

It is just.... a really weird decision.
I'm not denying it is weird. But some people here act like the Switch is another Wii U, where it misses out on practicaly everything. That's not true when even now, publishers are doing everything they can to bring games over, even if they have to do a cloud version. This is just one jarring exception.

it's atlus so it's probably some goofy reasoning about switch owners getting smtv so now it's the other guys turn. or maybe it's the classic "this game is too mature for switch owners".

...what have they shown off that looks like the Switch would have trouble with it? It straight up looks worse than SMT V and in line with something like TMS
obviously very early, but those snippets of the city sections and the team attacks in full res look like they might get choppy on the switch. I like how smtv looks but it runs pretty poorly and the maps are largely barren. they could probably port this, but it would take extra work, as per usual

Back
Top Bottom