• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Soul Hackers 2 announced, coming to PS4/5, XSX/S, XBO and Steam this August

That's effectively saying "crunch more" because adding entire rosters of new enemies when you have existing assets to reuse is probably the single most effective way to save time and money in this industry. There's a reason Xenoblade has been reusing the same bestiary for as long as it has and why Elden Ring is still using skeleton rigs and enemy types from 2009. Feels they should have improved a lot of different things first before worrying about new monsters design with this game.
Take longer to release the next game, don't do it in 3D, don't make a new game. Don't want to see the same boring old designs over and over its not interesting.

i thought I was going insane with all the people on the other site proclaiming this to be some cutting edge next gen experience. like wtf where they watching
Well, the place has gotten very PS oriented since most of the other fanbases left so they wanting to justify the lack of Switch version makes sense.

(Then again, this place is clearly Nintendo-oriented but at least Era used to be more diverse in terms of opinions).

So, a common thing that I've been hearing is that it doesn't look graphically impressive and is kinda low-budget so its absence from Switch is even more stupid.
It's clearly a late port material to me. Not that I believe they're doing this on purpose for double dips(tho that certainly helps) but maybe they made the game on PC based on PS4 and Xbox One and let to make the Switch version later or mid dev? Anyways I think it's an easy H1 2023 prediction tbh.

Persona 5 Royal appears to look exactly the same as it does on PS4, maybe it can even look better as it's getting more dev time to port(another Alien Isolation situation?).

I think Soul Hackers 2 will come and people will be impressed of how close to the PS4/Xbox One versions it looks. I mean, we saw Shin Megami Tensei V and how big and gorgeous it is, I don't think SH2 had nearly as big of a budget/dev time nor is as demanding.

i thought I was going insane with all the people on the other site proclaiming this to be some cutting edge next gen experience. like wtf where they watching
Some people's logic goes like this:

No Switch version -> Game is demanding -> Game must be a graphical showcase

It also works retroactively, hilariously enough. The Witcher 3 was a graphical powerhouse until it got ported. Then, to some guys it became "not that good looking after all".

It's clearly a late port material to me. Not that I believe they're doing this on purpose for double dips(tho that certainly helps) but maybe they made the game on PC based on PS4 and Xbox One and let to make the Switch version later or mid dev? Anyways I think it's an easy H1 2023 prediction tbh.

Persona 5 Royal appears to look exactly the same as it does on PS4, maybe it can even look better as it's getting more dev time to port(another Alien Isolation situation?).

I think Soul Hackers 2 will come and people will be impressed of how close to the PS4/Xbox One versions it looks. I mean, we saw Shin Megami Tensei V and how big and gorgeous it is, I don't think SH2 had nearly as big of a budget/dev time nor is as demanding.
All of this.

Some people's logic goes like this:

No Switch version -> Game is demanding -> Game must be a graphical showcase

It also works retroactively, hilariously enough. The Witcher 3 was a graphical powerhouse until it got ported. Then, to some guys it became "not that good looking after all".

All of this.
Exactly lol. I mean, just show someone that isn't into Nintendo a video of Shin Megami Tensei V emulated to run 4K and tell them it's a next gen only game and they'll definitely believe it.

I mean there were people bringing up power on the reason why there wasn't a Persona 5 version for Switch, a PS3 game.

Well, the place has gotten very PS oriented since most of the other fanbases left so they wanting to justify the lack of Switch version makes sense.

(Then again, this place is clearly Nintendo-oriented but at least Era used to be more diverse in terms of opinions).
i think they just love being wrong in extremely stupid and obvious ways. like the "P5R is too demanding for switch!" stuff.

we'll have to see how it winds up panning out sales wise. if it bombs which im expecting at this point then i dont think its ever getting ported to the switch.

Exactly lol. I mean, just show someone that isn't into Nintendo a video of Shin Megami Tensei V emulated to run 4K and tell them it's a next gen only game and they'll definitely believe it.

I mean there were people bringing up power on the reason why there wasn't a Persona 5 version for Switch, a PS3 game.
I mean I heard people say that the switch isn't as strong as a ps3 so maybe they're right

Maybe letting this team stray too far from Nintendo’s oversight wasn’t a great quality decision. 🙃

sounds more like a budget issue than an oversight one

I wonder who’s decision it was to make this game in Unity
probably the devs themselves. it could be a case of assessing the costs of tools

Okay yeah these are more the review scores I expected, maybe a touch lower but still pretty close. The dungeons and combat being a bit mindless and less complex is disappointing, but I felt pretty similarly about TMS. I’ll still pick this up, it sounds like a fairly short good megaten time (is it weird that 50-60 hours feels short for a JRPG to me?)

Seeing reviews, and I want to play this, but probably not at full price. It being 20-30 hours seems quite short as well.

I'm still wondering why they made such a big deal out of it, saying it would be a new pillar alongside smt and persona...

I'm still wondering why they made such a big deal out of it, saying it would be a new pillar alongside smt and persona...
They never meant it would be a new pillar alongside SMT and Persona. When they said pillar they meant it would represent a shift towards more collaboration with talent outside their development teams.

My issue is the FOMO DLC. I want those costumes! But I don’t want to pay full price.
Same here, but for me it's more the story DLC. And some of the demons; Tzitzimitl is one of my favorite SMT demons, and she didn't appear in SMTV.

Same here, but for me it's more the story DLC. And some of the demons; Tzitzimitl is one of my favorite SMT demons, and she didn't appear in SMTV.
IF I were to pre order it, I wouldn’t mind paying the extra $10 for the deluxe edition, but the maid outfit is exclusive to the premium edition for whatever reason

I can't wait for this. Unfortunately, I'm on vacation for 9 days in early September so I wonder whether it's a good idea to start it before.

This is gonna be a pick up when it inevitably hits either the bomba bins or it gets on GamePass

seeing the 70 range score made me think this will be 20 or less by Black Friday. That’s a price I’m willing to pay. Maybe.

I'm excited for this game, but it does seem like it's going to be a more lightweight somewhat-forgettable RPG at least as far as Atlus games go. What I'm REALLY interested in is whatever Atlus has coming next, since we don't really have any other games from them announced other than Persona ports. Obviously Persona 6 announcement is expected early October at the concert, but I'm assuming that won't be out for quite some time, so I really want to know what their next non-port non-P6 project is.

I guess the other easy answer is an SMTV followup ala Apocalypse, which I would love, but other than that is it finally time for Etrian Odyssey to appear?

I guess the other easy answer is an SMTV followup ala Apocalypse, which I would love, but other than that is it finally time for Etrian Odyssey to appear?
YES! That team has never been big, I dont know if they even have a name or been absorbed. But some EO staff worked on SMTV and last year, they mention that they would like to provide info on the next entry but nothing else. The first teaser was in 2018 so maybe we get news early next year?

Also that interview also technically teased SH2.

https://nintendoeverything.com/atlus-etrian-odyssey-update/

YES! That team has never been big, I dont know if they even have a name or been absorbed. But some EO staff worked on SMTV and last year, they mention that they would like to provide info on the next entry but nothing else. The first teaser was in 2018 so maybe we get news early next year?

Also that interview also technically teased SH2.

https://nintendoeverything.com/atlus-etrian-odyssey-update/
Hmmmmm... Soul Hackers 2 will be out by the time the next Direct happens, so.... maybe? I can dream!

Hmmmmm... Soul Hackers 2 will be out by the time the next Direct happens, so.... maybe? I can dream!
OHHHH I share that dream. But given its personas year, the upcoming ports maybe not? I know they are VERY different genre, so maybe an announcement for next year? Fingers crossed.

I'm still looking forward to playing this eventually. This was always a game I was going to wait for a sale before buying because it's sandwiched between Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3, so the mixed reviews don't really change anything for me.

I'm excited for this game, but it does seem like it's going to be a more lightweight somewhat-forgettable RPG at least as far as Atlus games go. What I'm REALLY interested in is whatever Atlus has coming next, since we don't really have any other games from them announced other than Persona ports. Obviously Persona 6 announcement is expected early October at the concert, but I'm assuming that won't be out for quite some time, so I really want to know what their next non-port non-P6 project is.

Remember a game called Re: Fantasy? They hired a lot of new people to work on that along with Persona series devs. Whatever happened to that game?

Maybe letting this team stray too far from Nintendo’s oversight wasn’t a great quality decision. 🙃

TMS wasn't that good to be honest. I think it's one of the weakest Atlus games I've played. Perhaps that team just isn't as talented.

Honestly the battle system was great. I loved the encore system and would like to see it in more games (I haven't really followed Soul Hackers 2 so not sure if the battle system is similar)
The encore system was great. Of the Atlus games I've played, which admittedly isn't a ton, TMS has my second-favorite battle system behind only SMT5.

Seems like Soul Hackers 2 is pretty different, though.

Honestly the battle system was great. I loved the encore system and would like to see it in more games (I haven't really followed Soul Hackers 2 so not sure if the battle system is similar)
My issue with the TMS battle system is that it felt great at first, but I got a little tired of it over the course of the game, especially near the end. Possibly because I was expecting it to lean more into you (the player) needing to plan and set up big chains based on what you had available and what the enemy weakness was and so on, and change them out almost like gambit loadouts or something depending on the situation. Instead, by the end of the game you're basically just doing max length chains by default and their damage doesn't scale as well as I'd like.

But, that could just be on me for wanting something that the game wasn't really trying to do. I still did have quite a lot of fun with it overall!

do not fuck me on this one atlus
laughing-laugh.gif

Assume the worst and be pleasently surprised, I'd advise.

Ok I think I can scrounge together like $20 on Xbox credit and use it to soften the price of the Premium Edition. Might just do that.

Edit: Ended up paying about $66 for the digital Premium Edition in the end

Last edited:
How's everyone, who got it, enjoying it?

Outside of some bugs and weird animation people seem pleased with the game.

Inital attempt was out of the box no compat. options but Their was an update this morning it broke it but i switched to GE-7.29 and it works fine now
It seems to work now for me on GE-7.30 but it is missing some visual effects, like the portal in dungeons and also the background during sabbaths which is a pretty big visual error. I’ve just installed it on my Windows SD card on Deck and I’ve been playing it on that, seems good and I’m enjoying it. Will switch back to my SteamOS SD if it gets patched.

Back
Top Bottom