• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Superstars announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming October 17th)

New coverage means a few extra tastes of music. We get a tiny bit of Cyber Station, a Pinball Carnival theme and the Vision emerald power theme; plus Bridge Island Act 2 in-game. The first clip has no music for whatever reason, which stands out since the miniboss theme should be playing during the chase at the end of the act… they’re really going to make us wait as long as possible to know it those boss themes are final.

IGN had a more positive impression of co-op but they really don't get into the details. It seems the previewer just isn't into the game in general but found that the co-op made it more enjoyable for them

Gamexplain had similar complaints to Eurogamer

Fun interview here; we have confirmation that Metal Tails and Metal Amy were designed by Kazuyuki Hoshino (original designer of Metal Sonic and Amy, among other roles on Sonic games over the years), some commanetary on Ohshima’s history working with Nintendo, and some generally interesting talk on Sonic design philosophy. Worth a read!

Do we still not know what the Switch framerate is? One YouTube channel mentioned it was indeed 60fps, but I want official confirmation before putting down money.

Fun interview here; we have confirmation that Metal Tails and Metal Amy were designed by Kazuyuki Hoshino (original designer of Metal Sonic and Amy, among other roles on Sonic games over the years), some commanetary on Ohshima’s history working with Nintendo, and some generally interesting talk on Sonic design philosophy. Worth a read!

The stuff they're saying about 2D games feeling tighter and more controllable, and about how Generations basically took modern Sonic physics and locked the camera sideways (thus not really feeling like a classic Sonic game even though it was sidescrolling) are making me nod along vigorously. Really neat to see the team talking this in-depth about stuff.

Though the thing about pixelart limiting the appeal: I meant to come back here and point out, I dunno if anyone in this thread is following Sea of Stars but they just blew past a quarter-million in sales, surpassing their year-one projections in a week. 🤷‍♂️

We're starting the music uploads for the game, Rintaro Soma is back and they composed Pinball Carnival Zone Act. It sounds great!

Cel-shaded skins!

712Z+7qap+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...Amazon Japan exclusive (for now).

Here's the trailer:

That was fantastic! Really
that Eggman was completely absorbed in drawing that snake while the action between it, Fang and Trip battling out. I do wonder why Trip works for Eggman when she clearly loves animals and plants

Some thoughts:
Screenshot_2023-09-20_at_06-24-07_Sonic_Superstars_Trio_of_Trouble.png

This mural seems to depict Trip or someone that looks like Trip using all 7 chaos emerald powers. In the center is an evil dragon inside an egg. Next to Trip in each panel is a giant animal representing each emerald power. And surrounding the whole thing is the giant snake Fang fights:

F6ehxa4WcAAgLc5

Avatar: Pocky - Rabbits multiply. Pocky is surrounded by smaller rabbits in the mural.
Vision: Ricky - Ricky seems to be using the power to find acorns.
Slow: Picky - Not sure on this one. I guess Picky would be the slowest.
Ivy: Clucky - Clucky is spreading seeds.
Water: Pecky - Pecky is holding a fish.
Bullet: Rocky - Rocky is surrounded by snowflakes; Walruses stay warm in ice.
Extra: Flicky - The main animal represents the special power.

This mural reminds me of the original plot for Sonic 3. In the Japanese manual for Sonic 3 the story explains that Knuckles mistook the Death Egg for the actual egg of a dragon that was prophesied to bring ruin to the world. In concept art for Mushroom Hill it shows that on Knuckles' path he would have visited a shrine with a mural depicting the dragon:

Sonic 3 manual (JP):
F6eTpCIa8AAkxTZ

Mushroom Hill concept:
sonic3dragon.png

It's a nice touch that the dragon mural was to be in Mushroom Hill and they put this dragon mural is a room full of glowing mushrooms.

Last edited:
This mural reminds me of the original plot for Sonic 3. In the Japanese manual for Sonic 3 the story explains that Knuckles mistook the Death Egg for the actual egg of a dragon that was prophesied to bring ruin to the world. In concept art for Mushroom Hill it shows that on Knuckles' path he would have visited a shrine with a mural depicting the dragon:
Oshima and Iizuka both being from those olden days, it makes a lot of sense that they perhaps wanted another crack at that "doomsday dragon" idea.

The fact that Trip is a reptile, herself, only makes it a bit more interesting to think about what her race's connection might be to the monster.

So we will fight giant versions of the animals? What does this mean?

Oh nvm you save them.

Last edited:
Oshima and Iizuka both being from those olden days, it makes a lot of sense that they perhaps wanted another crack at that "doomsday dragon" idea.

The fact that Trip is a reptile, herself, only makes it a bit more interesting to think about what her race's connection might be to the monster.
Ohshima only worked on Sonic 1 and CD and Iizuka already put the original Sonic 3 story in game form as Sonic Adventure; the dragon became Chaos and then they reused the concept as Biolizard and again as Metal Overlord.

This is basically the Classic version of Sonic Adventure.

Ohshima only worked on Sonic 1 and CD and Iizuka already put the original Sonic 3 story in game form as Sonic Adventure; the dragon became Chaos and then they reused the concept as Biolizard and again as Metal Overlord.

This is basically the Classic version of Sonic Adventure.
I don't remember a dragon becoming chaos. Only remember chaos. Can you remind about this? lol

I don't remember a dragon becoming chaos. Only remember chaos. Can you remind about this? lol
Perfect Chaos is a dragon made of water.

The JP Sonic 3 manual basically goes over the same plot as Adventure: it talks about how Angel Island was once part of the land and an ancient civilization flourished using the Master Emerald. But one day bad people tried to misuse the ME and caused a disaster and the gods sent Angel Island to the sky. And also there’s a prophecy about a giant evil dragon in an egg. The dragon concept clearly morphed into Chaos.

Perfect Chaos is a dragon made of water.

The JP Sonic 3 manual basically goes over the same plot as Adventure: it talks about how Angel Island was once part of the land and an ancient civilization flourished using the Master Emerald. But one day bad people tried to misuse the ME and caused a disaster and the gods sent Angel Island to the sky. And also there’s a prophecy about a giant evil dragon in an egg. The dragon concept clearly morphed into Chaos.
Thank you

I hope Sonic Superstars and Mario Wonder start a trend. Keep the 2D series alive, but with innovative new features. Not like previous attempts.

aaaand this is another Tee Lopes banger.
Partially! Don't forget, Tee isn't doing the whole OST like he did for Mania. On his twitter he said he edited this medley, which contains his version of Act 1 plus two other themes by Takahiro Kai and Hidenori Shoji.

I wonder how many composers are actually working on this game? I'm getting different answers from different wikis 😅

Partially! Don't forget, Tee isn't doing the whole OST like he did for Mania. On his twitter he said he edited this medley, which contains his version of Act 1 plus two other themes by Takahiro Kai and Hidenori Shoji.

I wonder how many composers are actually working on this game? I'm getting different answers from different wikis 😅

Oh interesting! Despite being very excited I haven't kept up with all the finer details outside of the officially posted songs.

Well...dang, the last third is my favorite part of the mix. I suppose there's at least five working on this OST then :O

Oh interesting! Despite being very excited I haven't kept up with all the finer details outside of the officially posted songs.

Well...dang, the last third is my favorite part of the mix. I suppose there's at least five working on this OST then :O
Yeah the biggest news has been "Tee Lopes and Jun Senoue are teaming up!" but Senoue is acting as sort of the head of the music team which includes Lopes and several others. They seem to be sharing duties, too, as Lopes said in an interview a little while back that Senoue composed some songs that Lopes then arranged himself. So it seems like the OST will really be a mix of everyone's flavor. I'm so damn giddy about it. 😁

Yeah the biggest news has been "Tee Lopes and Jun Senoue are teaming up!" but Senoue is acting as sort of the head of the music team which includes Lopes and several others. They seem to be sharing duties, too, as Lopes said in an interview a little while back that Senoue composed some songs that Lopes then arranged himself. So it seems like the OST will really be a mix of everyone's flavor. I'm so damn giddy about it. 😁
Oh that sounds amazing, I can't wait!

Oh yeah I do remember the Jun Senoue bit, but wasn't sure of his exact role so far. That is promising!

Also I just realized....that video definitely had every composer listed lol. I played it earlier and just put my phone in my pocket and listened, so that is overall a pleasant surprise.

And with that, the new girl has her name.

Finally, Espio and Vector aren't the only two reptiles.

New comic started to drop today, too.

Last edited:
Sounds good, wish there was a option for better graphics but with dynamic resolution and grandest so that it can run at max with next switch

Is anyone planning on making an ST for this game? I know other game releases in the same week may be taking the oxygen outta the room, but I'm hoping this game turns out well and I hope we have a place to discuss it!

Is anyone planning on making an ST for this game? I know other game releases in the same week may be taking the oxygen outta the room, but I'm hoping this game turns out well and I hope we have a place to discuss it!
Maybe uh..
...maybe I aughta try

Back
Top Bottom