• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Superstars announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming October 17th)

Physics look accurate from what little we can see in the trailer - at the very least it doesn't look like a Sonic 4.

Game looks solid but Sonic Team developing makes me a little wary.

If it's a great game, I don't mind paying 60 dollars for a 5 hour experience, but I am a bit nervous Sonic Team is gonna find ways to pad it out to 10+ hours.

This is what I've been asking for out of this franchise. A truly new side scrolling Sonic game built off of the classics. New Zones, New mechanics, and bringing back the Playable characters. And there's co-op???

I really, really hope they nail this. If they do, this will be one of my favorite games released this year.

Fang is back! Wonder if he’s playable
"Play as your Favorite Characters"
No Blaze shown
#justiceforBlaze

But seriously, this looks good. Co-Op platformers can be chaotic fun.
I mean it’s classic era. Logo is teasing at least one more playable tho. Mighty, Ray, Fang, Vector and Espio are possibilities

This could be a case of the sonic cycle, but this is what I ( and I am sure many others) have wanted out of a sonic game for a good while now.

Fang is back! Wonder if he’s playable

I mean it’s classic era. Logo is teasing at least one more playable tho. Mighty, Ray, Fang, Vector and Espio are possibilities
While true, Blaze is in a weird spot because her most famous playable appearances are in the Rush games, a 2D series and since 2D games for the most part are now Classic, she's kind of in Limbo.

...also Blaze should be playable in every game, even non-Sonic Games.

Blaze the Cat in Sakura Wars
Blaze the Cat in Puyo Puyo
Blaze the Cat in Total War

I really, really hope they nail this. If they do, this will be one of my favorite games released this year

It's apparently coming from sonic team so I'm going to have extremely cautious optimism in approaching this. They've shown on numerous occasions that they don't quite understand how to make the 2D levels, and while it's not impossible they finally learnt, they've also got no benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Wasn’t expecting that and it looks pretty good! Like a Sonic version of NSMBWii or something. First time I’ve been excited about Sonic in a long time

Level design will be key here.

The physics can be accurate as anything, but if Sonic and co are constantly being railroaded through boost pads and the like then it'd be for nothing.

That they've explicitly shown the characters gaining speed while running downhill is promising. It sounds silly, but it's vital that they get the balance right.

That they've explicitly shown the characters gaining speed while running downhill is promising. It sounds silly, but it's vital that they get the balance right.
Not silly at all, as you said stuff like this is a vital, core part showing how the whole game feels.

I've got bad news everyone

7opwkp.jpg

Looks great, hope it's gonna be good.
Would have preferred sprites, feels like they're going with 3D just because it will have less of a stigma on that price tag.

WHAAAAAT

Darn I had to go offline for an appointment and missed this announcement.

Mario, your turn!

Hah!

A long time ago, I joked that NSMBWii and NSMBU were "Right there!" when it came to how Sega could literally cite that formula for a 4player co-op Sonic game, and here we are!

Also:

Maybe it's me, but I'd be more than fine with 2D Sonic getting the NSMBW treatment for a few cycles. DLC that adds in more characters, levels and more story content means they could literally ride this ship for a good long while, assuming the physics and overall content is there.

And for 60 clams at base, I'm hoping for a nice S3&K-length campaign.

This is what I've been asking for out of this franchise. A truly new side scrolling Sonic game built off of the classics. New Zones, New mechanics, and bringing back the Playable characters. And there's co-op???

I really, really hope they nail this. If they do, this will be one of my favorite games released this year.

Same. We've been let down by Sonic Team so many times but I dunno...I have a good feeling about this one.

Fantastic news! I love the artstyle. Great to have the classic four all playable. My only concerns are that the physics feel good and that the level design isn't too automated (springs and speed pads pushing you all over the place with little player input). Just please be better than Sonic 4 and Gens classic.

Hype as hell. Gonna wait on reviews because, well, Sonic, but if it turns out well then it's day one. So cool to see classic Sonic back.

Honestly, I'm not that excited about Nack returning. The character I wanted back was Espio the Chameleon. Poor fella, ignored by Sega just way too long. He wasn't even part of Team vector in Sonic Racing!

Honestly, I'm not that excited about Nack returning. The character I wanted back was Espio the Chameleon. Poor fella, ignored by Sega just way too long. He wasn't even part of Team vector in Sonic Racing!
He got in Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog over Charmy at least

This looks really promising. Here's hoping it turns out well and that the Switch version runs well, too.

One change I think is apparent in the trailer is that, while Sonic and co do gain and lose speed according to the terrain - see the grinding loop and hill footage I mentioned earlier - there is a speed cap at play.

Makes sense in a co-op environment, otherwise you'll have players speeding off even moreso than usual.

Would be really cool if they removed the cap for single player.

I NEED to know the studio behind this before getting excited; If it's Sonic Team or Dimps, I don't think it's worth the hype X_X...

but visually and conceptually, looks amazing!

It looks fine at a glance, but there are so many things that have to go miraculously right for this to be good...

The price point is especially worrying. $40 more than Mania? I don't think they'd pick that price out of pure hubris, so what nonsense have they added to pad this out?

Back
Top Bottom