• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Sonic Superstars announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming October 17th)

The price point is especially worrying. $40 more than Mania? I don't think they'd pick that price out of pure hubris, so what nonsense have they added to pad this out?
On one hand, the cynical side of me agrees with the idea that because this isn't a game with pixels (and aiming directly for the same markets that NSMBWii/U aimed at), they think that they can get away with full price after selling the 2D pixels games for less.

But on the other, if this also means that Sega is taking 2D Sonic just as seriously as 3D, then by all means I hope they go in with the content!

this is 70 dollars?!!!
59.99 for base price.

This looks good....but I am cautiously optimistic.

Sonic 4 has left me with war flashbacks lol. It is great to hear Sega has Ohshima back designing a new character. I just hope the Switch version is 60fps like the other consoles.

Last edited:
Oh.. it seems to be internally developed by Sonic Team, then?...

(it's on the bottom of the main site)

I guess it's been this long since the announcement and they didn't make buzz about any contracted studio to help them out on this (like Mania or Origins), then it should be clear that is a Sonic Team game then...

Sadly, this doesn't inject me with confidence.. especially when comes to level design and physics (or both); Hoping to see Hands-On footage to gauge my interest...

i have less than zero excitement at the thought of a multiplayer 2D Sonic game

here’s hoping that’s not the focus

Oh.. it seems to be internally developed by Sonic Team, then?...

(it's on the bottom of the main site)

I guess it's been this long since the announcement and they didn't make buzz about any contracted studio to help them out on this (like Mania or Origins), then it should be clear that is a Sonic Team game then...

Sadly, this doesn't inject me with confidence.. especially when comes to level design and physics (or both); Hoping to see Hands-On footage to gauge my interest...

The good thing is that the Pocket, Advance, Rush and Sonic 4 Ep 1/2 were developed by Dimps which sadly got worse for each game released while Mania was developed by Whitehead. Sega hasn’t made a 2D Sonic game since the X32 days

the logo looks like a Google play store game so I'm refusing to get excited about this until people say it's worth checking out. mania was. good but sonic 41 is maybe the worst sonic game ever

The good thing is that the Pocket, Advance, Rush and Sonic 4 Ep 1/2 were developed by Dimps which sadly got worse for each game released while Mania was developed by Whitehead. Sega hasn’t made a 2D Sonic game since the X32 days

They did make the 2D sections of recent Sonic games though. This game looks interesting but it will come down to how the game controls which Sonic Team has struggled in many titles.

He's coming:

d25bnh4-4af5e7e9-e83f-4adf-96ba-9c8a9d3257d3.png
I laughed at this longer than I should have given my age.

👌 for “He’s coming”. Bravo, sir.

They did make the 2D sections of recent Sonic games though. This game looks interesting but it will come down to how the game controls which Sonic Team has struggled in many titles.
and those 2d sections have never really been liked either...

Oh...that is actually a good point. This is actually Sonic Team's first 2D-only Sonic game in quite a long time.

Still, gotta remain cautiously optimistic. Just in case.

Last edited:
Sonic Team's own internal attempts on 2D gameplay have been incredibly underwhelming and unsatisfying to play imo; both on Classic Sonic in Generations and (especially) Forces, and everything they tried with Modern Sonic since Unleashed... The 2D segments in Frontiers recently being particularly bad.

At this rate, I'd take Dimps back, even if they aren't that great with level design.., since apparently Whitehead is out of question 😫

"From the creators of the Sonic Forces 2D segments"

Sonic Team's own internal attempts on 2D gameplay have been incredibly underwhelming and unsatisfying to play imo; both on Classic Sonic in Generations and (especially) Forces, and everything they tried with Modern Sonic since Unleashed... The 2D segments in Frontiers recently being particularly bad.

At this rate, I'd take Dimps back, even if they aren't that great with level design.., since apparently Whitehead is out of question 😫

Isn’t it not because the gameplay/engine they use is made for 3D hence why the physics of the older games never appear in those games?

Isn’t it not because the gameplay/engine they use is made for 3D hence why the physics of the older games never appear in those games?

I don't really know but Classic Sonic in the 2D sections of Generations and Forces controls different than Modern Sonic in his 2D sections so Sonic Team is more than capable of adjusting how a character controls within their own games.

physics not being like the old games aren't why the modern 2d physics suck. they suck because they just suck. Mario doesn't control like the old games but that's not an issue

This looks like what I expected Sonic 4 to be back in the day. Cautiously optimistic! Been wanting Fang back in a more substantial role since I was a kid, so I'm giddy to see that coming to fruition here.

The physics aren't the only bad part. Sonic Forces is one of my favorite sonic games and the only good thing I have to say about the 2D segments is they're 50 seconds long.

they should have just called this Sonic 4

"what about the old sonic 4?"
"the what? that doesn't exist"

Technically a game called Sonic 4 doesn't exist, only "Sonic 4 Episode I," and "Sonic 4 Episode II". So they could get away with it.

Even though I'm cautious, it is kinda nice to have a 2D/Handheld/side Sonic experience back in rotation. New Sonic games used to be a regular thing and that went away after 2017.

I'm like... ambivalent about the art style. BUT. I think there's potential here for sure and I love that classic Amy is getting more love. If this has good level design (more Mania and less 2D sections of boost games) this could end up one of my faves of the series.

I really like the look of this, highlight of the show for me. No doubt they’ll be locking some stuff behind DLC (Characters/skins, soundtracks) but I’ll be keeping my eye out for more info.

2023 and I’m looking at picking up 2 2D Sonic games on carts (This and Origins) what a time to be alive!

I really like the look of this, highlight of the show for me. No doubt they’ll be locking some stuff behind DLC (Characters/skins, soundtracks) but I’ll be keeping my eye out for more info.

2023 and I’m looking at picking up 2 2D Sonic games on carts (This and Origins) what a time to be alive!
Please, give me a new Rayman game too :)

the real Sonic the Hedgehog 4
I said the same thing about Mania (even though it only had four original zones) because, like, Mania was exactly what I wanted Sonic 4 to be like. Now I'm looking at Superstars thinking once again, looks like what shoulda been Sonic 4.

I just hope we're right. I'm alllll too familiar with The Cycle. 😅

"From the creators of the Sonic Forces 2D segments"
Yeah see that's what worries me. 😅

It is great to hear Sega has Ohshima back designing a new character.
I think there's something funny about Ohshima returning to Sonic at the same time Naka goes to jail. 😅😅😅

they should have just called this Sonic 4

"what about the old sonic 4?"
"the what? that doesn't exist"
Brands don't do this stuff because it makes it harder to google games

(I realize we're saying this about a series that had its 15th anniversary game called Sonic The Hedgehog)

Cautiously optimistic. Please don't be another Sonic 4...

Still wish the Mania guys got a crack at a Mania 2 with all original stages though. Those guys get 2D Sonic in a way I don't think Sonic Team do.

seems like Tee Lopes might be involved which would be nice considering the work he did with Sonic Mania soundtrack :

Cautiously optimistic. Please don't be another Sonic 4...

Still wish the Mania guys got a crack at a Mania 2 with all original stages though. Those guys get 2D Sonic in a way I don't think Sonic Team do.
I don't think Sonic Team get Sonic in 3D either.

Brands don't do this stuff because it makes it harder to google games

(I realize we're saying this about a series that had its 15th anniversary game called Sonic The Hedgehog)
(me looking at like 20 current franchises which have named a new game "[FRANCHISE TITLE]" like it's the first game in the series)

I want more like Frontiers.
The only thing ST got right with Frontiers was it's general structure*. It's physics left a lot to be desired in the open zone areas, and were absolutely awful for cyberspace. They were especially bad in any level ported from a pre boost era Sonic.

*It also got story and music, but I feel Sonic usually has good story/music.

Well, at least this is encouraging;

Though long ramps like these weren't never the problem in games like Generations and Sonic 4 (Episode II, in fact, made sure you were aware you gained speed by going down slopes in the very first trailer); But at least I can have a shred of hope on it not feeling totally off... I'll take something like Generations 3DS feeling controls for sure;

But there's another thing in the trailer that bothers me.. that everytime they show all the four characters at the sametime on the screen, everyone's top speed is quite slow... I worry if this is their way to remedy the design issues that could come with four simultaneous players, slowing everyone down; Since the other options would be like the Tails companion style in Sonic 2 (where the second player has no agency over nothing, and only Sonic can control the camera;.. Tails can't even break open monitors), or it end being like NSMB, Rayman and Retro's DKC, where the camera gets further and further away from action to show everyone at the screen the best it can;

I mean, fine if that physics alteration happened only in co-op (and it's local only), and single player it works as normal.. but this also could lead to another problem with Level Design.. which definitely never been Sonic Team's forte.. they hardly nails down a game with one character,.. now there's four, and each one with a unique gameplay (unlike many of the co-op titles mentioned above, where there's parity on moveset for characters.. without mention, way simpler gameplay and Level Design);

I mean, fine if that physics alteration happened only in co-op (and it's local only), and single player it works as normal.. but this also could lead to another problem with Level Design.. which definitely never been Sonic Team's forte..
I mean I have the same concerns about coop but prior forces, sonic team used to always output pretty good levels imo. Generations 2D was very well designed, its biggest problem was shitty physics dragging it down.

Well, at least this is encouraging;

Though long ramps like these weren't never the problem in games like Generations and Sonic 4 (Episode II, in fact, made sure you were aware you gained speed by going down slopes in the very first trailer); But at least I can have a shred of hope on it not feeling totally off... I'll take something like Generations 3DS feeling controls for sure;

But there's another thing in the trailer that bothers me.. that everytime they show all the four characters at the sametime on the screen, everyone's top speed is quite slow... I worry if this is their way to remedy the design issues that could come with four simultaneous players, slowing everyone down; Since the other options would be like the Tails companion style in Sonic 2 (where the second player has no agency over nothing, and only Sonic can control the camera;.. Tails can't even break open monitors), or it end being like NSMB, Rayman and Retro's DKC, where the camera gets further and further away from action to show everyone at the screen the best it can;

I mean, fine if that physics alteration happened only in co-op (and it's local only), and single player it works as normal.. but this also could lead to another problem with Level Design.. which definitely never been Sonic Team's forte.. they hardly nails down a game with one character,.. now there's four, and each one with a unique gameplay (unlike many of the co-op titles mentioned above, where there's parity on moveset for characters.. without mention, way simpler gameplay and Level Design);

It looks like things are still "full speed" with 2 people on screen, the slowdown only seems to happen when there are 4 players. Slowing everyone was probably the best decision to support 4 players locally. I wonder if 2 player works like Sonic 2/3/M (camera focused on p1, p2 can fly off screen and be teleported back to p1), and with 3-4 players it works more like NSMB.

oh thank god, my biggest worry for this game just disappeared.
the speed cap in sonic 1 absolutely sucked
Don't quote me, I'm just giving my impression having rewatched that part of the trailer several times and having fully played both NSMBW/U and Sonic 2/3/M in local coop. For all I know the game could have an invisible version of the Knuckles Chaotix tether in 2 players where once someone gets too far behind they speed up and the lead player slows down to keep both on screen.

The only thing ST got right with Frontiers was it's general structure*. It's physics left a lot to be desired in the open zone areas, and were absolutely awful for cyberspace. They were especially bad in any level ported from a pre boost era Sonic.

*It also got story and music, but I feel Sonic usually has good story/music.
That was not my experience with the game. They got a lot more right in my opinion. The characters were better than ever, the gameplay loop was very satisfying, the bosses were epic, the traversal was fun and made me want to explore and find cool routes and it left me wanting more.

Isnt the part where the 4 characters are running during some kind of boss sequences (with the big robot fish), might be also a scripted instance where you're being chased and/or slowed down on purpose regardless of the player count.

Back
Top Bottom