• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sonic Superstars announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming October 17th)

Do we know if Superstars can be played with the Mega Drive/ Genesis Switch Online controller or are there not enough buttons?

Origins Collection was patched to make it work, where as Mania maps the Super Sonic activation button to a button that doesn’t exist on the controller.

But it's not fun for the fans you're talking about, so if fun is your concern, maybe don't?

Sometimes I forget I’m older than most here and that the younger crowd are a lot more sensitive. Genuinely the comment was meant more as, and I hate the word, ‘banter’ but that probably doesn’t always come across in text. Like imagine you were at a bar with friends and I said that but gave them the cheeky smile and wink while saying it etc. I’m a veteran from the OG console wars from the Mario vs Sonic / Nintendo vs Sega era so I’ll always have that devilish ‘lol Sonic’ side to me. My kids Gran bought him a Sonic jumper the other week and I was like “……greeeeeat! 😬”.

Genuinely the comment was meant more as, and I hate the word, ‘banter’ but that probably doesn’t always come across in text. Like imagine you were at a bar with friends and I said that but gave them the cheeky smile and wink while saying it etc. I’m a veteran from the OG console wars from the Mario vs Sonic / Nintendo vs Sega era so I’ll always have that devilish ‘lol Sonic’ side to me.
I mean I get that to some extent but most sonic fans have been through 15 years of this 'banter' and the joke got old real fast

Sometimes I forget I’m older than most here and that the younger crowd are a lot more sensitive.
dude I'm almost 40.

I'm just tired of people bashing me for enjoying a thing, because I've been listening to the same damn insults for decades now. There have been literal whole threads started on Fami with the purpose of trashing Sonic fans. I don't know if it's just a meme by now or what, supposed to be funny or otherwise, I'm just so damn tired all the same.

Also your comment about younger people just being more sensitive isn't helping your case if your point is to say you weren't trying to offend.

Please refrain from antagonizing members of a fanbase and ridiculing them when challenged. Attempts at cheekiness do not excuse rudeness. For this and other past infractions, you've being given a 6 week ban. – MissingNo., TC, Party Sklar, Derachi
dude I'm almost 40.

I'm just tired of people bashing me for enjoying a thing, because I've been listening to the same damn insults for decades now. There have been literal whole threads started on Fami with the purpose of trashing Sonic fans. I don't know if it's just a meme by now or what, supposed to be funny or otherwise, I'm just so damn tired all the same.

Also your comment about younger people just being more sensitive isn't helping your case if your point is to say you weren't trying to offend.

Damn man. That upset you at nearly 40?

Like I said, meant more in a cheeky way and not meant to offend. Apologies if my comments offended anyone.

Even though I was staunchly on Nintendo’s side back then, it would be amazing if Sonic got back to his old level. I thought Mania was the first step in that direction!

💀

You just admitted that you still have Sega vs Nintendo console war tendencies a few comments ago and you have kids bruh I wouldn't be talking

I’m out after this (my) comment.

Like I said, it’s all in good humour. All with a wink and a cheeky smile. Would love to see Sonic back to its best and more good stuff from Sega. Huge fan of SoR4 from not long ago even if Sega didnt actually develop it.

That's not how aging works.

Hell that's not how emoting works!
giphy.gif

Sometimes I forget I’m older than most here and that the younger crowd are a lot more sensitive. Genuinely the comment was meant more as, and I hate the word, ‘banter’ but that probably doesn’t always come across in text. Like imagine you were at a bar with friends and I said that but gave them the cheeky smile and wink while saying it etc. I’m a veteran from the OG console wars from the Mario vs Sonic / Nintendo vs Sega era so I’ll always have that devilish ‘lol Sonic’ side to me. My kids Gran bought him a Sonic jumper the other week and I was like “……greeeeeat! 😬”.

Yeeeeeah I'm not gonna let you get away with the "issa joke" post earlier in addition to this one because I am also of that same era of Mario vs Sonic warrior stuff. However as time has gone on, it's just come down to being just a lame af take as both series have things that are appealing (even outside of the games, which Nintendo is finally catching up to) despite varying game quality.

Just do better.

i would also like to say as a sonic fan I don’t have low star dares, I hate every sonic game I play why am I even a fan.

The adventure games are my personal favourite followed by mania.

I am a sonic fan with high standards, so I only like the good ones like Sonic 1, Sonic 3, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Forces.

dude I'm almost 40.

Yikes - sorry you were spoken to that way supra <3

As a fellow Sonic fan I think we're all pretty self aware that the series could do better, but these recent games represent actual steps forward and that's something worthy of excitement and hype. Obviously it'll pale in pure quality comparison to Wonder, but it's a completely different context.

And uh, age has literally nothing to do with any of this - so I'm not even touching that.

I’m out after this (my) comment.

Like I said, it’s all in good humour. All with a wink and a cheeky smile. Would love to see Sonic back to its best and more good stuff from Sega. Huge fan of SoR4 from not long ago even if Sega didnt actually develop it.
I know you got banned but, I don't know why you're telling me this, I wasn't offended

i'm gonna be real, 90% of my jokes here are Discord-core. i.e. reactionary, shitposty, etc. so i actually get what you mean with what you said about banter

i'm pretty sure i even offended some sonic fans once with a joke i made. however my response to that was to say i'm sorry that it offended them, it was just meant as a joke and i'm actually (intermittently) a fan of some of the series. i wasn't actually trying to offend anyone

acting holier than thou about it, and then insulting someone for their age, is the worst way to go about it. and it actually showed just how genuine your jokes were, rather than just y'know, being a misunderstanding

you can't expect people on the internet to get that you're joking, especially on a forum where the entire point is that you have time to reflect before hitting post. but that's besides the point as you decided to double down and make even worse comments, so you clearly weren't just joking lol

Sega are such fools for not giving Whitehead a blank check and creative control to make something in the Sonic Universe. I suppose he probably didn't want to be constrained by their screwey management tactics, but damn...

perhaps ala his remakes -> Mania pipeline, they'll go back to him for help on the 3D side lol

As a fellow Sonic fan I think we're all pretty self aware that the series could do better, but these recent games represent actual steps forward and that's something worthy of excitement and hype. Obviously it'll pale in pure quality comparison to Wonder, but it's a completely different context.
Yeah this is the way I've been looking at it. I've been vocal about how up-and-down the series has been for me after the Adventure games (which were the peak to me for a good long while) but I want them to do better. I root for them to do better. And Frontiers and Superstars look to me like they are at least trying.

Plus I'm seeing some reviews starting to circulate around Sonic-oriented news sites now and they seem to like it quite a bit! I know they aren't exactly unbiased but it's nice to see it's landing with the fans.

And regarding Wonder, yeah it's a totally unfair comparison, Nintendo is just unbelievable. 😅 But I'm not looking at Wonder and going "bah, see Sonic is crap by comparison," I'm instead pointing at Wonder and saying to Sonic "see that, buddy? you can do it! come on bud, let's try! come on!"

yes, Sonic is a dog in that scenario

(and thanks for the other stuff you said too <3 )

Sega are such fools for not giving Whitehead a blank check and creative control to make something in the Sonic Universe. I suppose he probably didn't want to be constrained by their screwey management tactics, but damn...

perhaps ala his remakes -> Mania pipeline, they'll go back to him for help on the 3D side lol
Yeah I don't quite get this, he even said he was working on converting the Retro Engine to 2.5D before Superstars was a thing, and that if given the chance to do a Sonic Mania follow-up he'd want to move away from pixelart. So it's not like Superstars is far off from what he would've done (especially since he confirmed Superstars is using that 2.5D Retro Engine). and with Stealth and Headcannon continuing to work with Sega on Origins, it's like the Mania team was around but things just kinda didn't work out for them to spearhead something new. Then Iizuka said Ohshima came on board just because they had kept in touch since the Adventure days and just wanted to work together again. It all sounds really casual? But again, kinda weird. I dunno, I'm not complaining after seeing what Whitehead's been working on instead.

Yeah I don't quite get this, he even said he was working on converting the Retro Engine to 2.5D before Superstars was a thing, and that if given the chance to do a Sonic Mania follow-up he'd want to move away from pixelart. So it's not like Superstars is far off from what he would've done (especially since he confirmed Superstars is using that 2.5D Retro Engine). and with Stealth and Headcannon continuing to work with Sega on Origins, it's like the Mania team was around but things just kinda didn't work out for them to spearhead something new. Then Iizuka said Ohshima came on board just because they had kept in touch since the Adventure days and just wanted to work together again. It all sounds really casual? But again, kinda weird. I dunno, I'm not complaining after seeing what Whitehead's been working on instead.
That ... makes it even weirder. I kind of made the assumption that Christian Whitehead's future for the series was still pixel art, which if Sega is trying to make this the New Super Mario Bros. of Sonic, it makes sense to move away from. If Chris was always planning to move away from pixel art ... than what the ...

It's not that weird when the bulk of Whitehead's work over the years in the modding community and perfecting the Retro Engine have been in the 2D space.

Moving to 2.5D or 3D makes sense, more ideas and be born from those.

That ... makes it even weirder. I kind of made the assumption that Christian Whitehead's future for the series was still pixel art, which if Sega is trying to make this the New Super Mario Bros. of Sonic, it makes sense to move away from. If Chris was always planning to move away from pixel art ... than what the ...
Yeah either they just didn't see eye-to-eye on the direction of the game itself (not artstyle) or Whitehead really wanted to break away (heh) and do something of his own. But if they didn't have a consensus on game direction then I can't picture how far from Superstars Whitehead's vision would have been. Just... different level design, maybe? Or maybe Sega wanted to go hard on 4-player co-op and Whitehead didn't? Or maybe he didn't wanna do it without Headcannon, who were working on both Origins and their own new game?

It's not that weird when the bulk of Whitehead's work over the years in the modding community and perfecting the Retro Engine have been in the 2D space.

Moving to 2.5D or 3D makes sense, more ideas and be born from those.
I think he means weirder that Whitehead isn't spearheading the game, if he was already trying to move into 2.5D. The assumption floating around in the beginning was that Whitehead isn't involved because he wanted pixelart Mania 2 and Sega wanted 2.5D, which we know now from Whitehead himself was not the case.

Yeah either they just didn't see eye-to-eye on the direction of the game itself (not artstyle) or Whitehead really wanted to break away (heh) and do something of his own. But if they didn't have a consensus on game direction then I can't picture how far from Superstars Whitehead's vision would have been. Just... different level design, maybe? Or maybe Sega wanted to go hard on 4-player co-op and Whitehead didn't? Or maybe he didn't wanna do it without Headcannon, who were working on both Origins and their own new game?

I think he means weirder that Whitehead isn't spearheading the game, if he was already trying to move into 2.5D. The assumption floating around in the beginning was that Whitehead isn't involved because he wanted pixelart Mania 2 and Sega wanted 2.5D, which we know now from Whitehead himself was not the case.

Oh I gotcha, my mistake.

In that case then...did Whitehead approach Sega about Mania being the 25th anniversary game or the other way around? I think that may make it a bit easier to understand where we are now.

Oh I gotcha, my mistake.

In that case then...did Whitehead approach Sega about Mania being the 25th anniversary game or the other way around? I think that may make it a bit easier to understand where we are now.
oooh uh, if you mean did he approach Sega (as opposed to Sega approaching him) then as far as I've read, yes. If you're asking if he specifically pitched it as a 25th anniversary game, I don't think so.

IIRC Whitehead pitched the idea of Mania directly to Iizuka after having spent years using the Retro Engine to help Sega port the Genesis games to modern hardware. The Retro Engine being a thing he developed himself and (again, IIRC) pitched to Sega as a way for them to get their games on modern hardware without emulation, allowing for HD and 16:9 aspect ratios to be implemented. So if the stuff I remember reading is accurate, Whitehead has basically been the forward momentum with Sega basically going "oh wow, okay do it."

oooh uh, if you mean did he approach Sega (as opposed to Sega approaching him) then as far as I've read, yes. If you're asking if he specifically pitched it as a 25th anniversary game, I don't think so.

IIRC Whitehead pitched the idea of Mania directly to Iizuka after having spent years using the Retro Engine to help Sega port the Genesis games to modern hardware. The Retro Engine being a thing he developed himself and (again, IIRC) pitched to Sega as a way for them to get their games on modern hardware without emulation, allowing for HD and 16:9 aspect ratios to be implemented. So if the stuff I remember reading is accurate, Whitehead has basically been the forward momentum with Sega basically going "oh wow, okay do it."
one note is manias scale was far smaller, basically just being some of release manias new zones, iizuka is the person who asked to increase scope iirc

Late but thanks! I haven't read up on that since Mania Plus released. I guess it really did just end up agreeing to go their own separate ways during the initial talk of the next 2D Sonic.

Back
Top Bottom