• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Sonic Frontiers |ST| Open Zone of the Enders [Final Horizon DLC out now! Includes new story and new playable characters]

It's divisive. I was saying in the other thread I've seen reviewers sharing impressions ranging from "please don't be offended by my review, Sonic fans" to "this is the best 3D Sonic game they've ever made."

It has more 90s and high 80s than many of the modern 3D games, but some really low scores, too. So the aggregate averages out to a sort of middle ground.
Hm. From what i gatheres the criticism is repetitive and weak cyberspace levels?

Ill wait till the smoke settles, and will later see if im gona wait for a sale or not,
but as it stands im still intrigued as an Adventure 2 fan...

Hm. From what i gatheres the criticism is repetitive and weak cyberspace levels?

Ill wait till the smoke settles, and will later see if im gona wait for a sale or not,
but as it stands im still intrigued as an Adventure 2 fan...
That was one of the things I saw popping up, yeah. But I've also seen it said that the open zone islands make up for it.

But yeah, I am also an Adventure fan who is waiting for the dust to settle a little. 😅

That was one of the things I saw popping up, yeah. But I've also seen it said that the open zone islands make up for it.

But yeah, I am also an Adventure fan who is waiting for the dust to settle a little. 😅
oh, yeah, dust not smoke xD long day.
Yeah, i have enough to do, im still not shure if i want the new Pokemon, so im not exactly stressed to play it.
Maybe a good christmas game.

I'm probably a solid 5 hours in. I have a lot of mixed feelings. In general I'm enjoying the game. It's janky, but that's not stopping me from having fun... most of the time.

Played in travel today and it gets a roaring recommendation from me. We will see how it holds up at a full runtime, but so far this is everything I wanted!

oh my god fuck 1-2

i finally got the S rank on it by a hair and i would very much like for the remainder of the cyberspace levels to not be this tight
Thats the one I'm having trouble but so far it's the only one its giving me trouble. 1-3 was able to get S in my first try and I stumbled a lot in the stage

sounds like they screwed up the S rank requirements for 1-2. everyone seems to be having a hard time with it

sounds like they screwed up the S rank requirements for 1-2. everyone seems to be having a hard time with it
I'm a Sonic noob (the last one I played was on gamecube) and so far I think the S-Rank for time is VERY strict in all stages. the main difference so far is this in other stages I've played you can clearly see ways to shave time, while 1-2 you see the shortcuts, railways and different routes, shave time and STILL miss the mark life for 5 seconds

Fun and decent game but definitely confirms that Sonic has no business being open world. I would much rather to have to focus reversed in the next Sonic game.

That first boss was absolute rubbish, I'm afraid of the next one.

i managed the rest of the first island without too much trouble but i already know there's at least one in the second island that's going to mess with me
I think it was 1-5 that gave me issues.

Also didn't realize these past levels would be so split. Like green hill from generations has been used 3 times? Or only 2? I'm only on the second area.

I think it was 1-5 that gave me issues.

Also didn't realize these past levels would be so split. Like green hill from generations has been used 3 times? Or only 2? I'm only on the second area.
most of generations and unleashed's levels seem to have been split into 2-3 cyberspace levels a piece. sometimes it's just a direct remake cut in half, other times they'll do some trickery to add additional geometry to skip what would've been the 2D segment of a modern stage so that it can be part of its own level mashup later

most of generations and unleashed's levels seem to have been split into 2-3 cyberspace levels a piece. sometimes it's just a direct remake cut in half, other times they'll do some trickery to add additional geometry to skip what would've been the 2D segment of a modern stage so that it can be part of its own level mashup later
I never picked up on any Unleashed levels, must have gone over my head.

Just looked it up, did not realize the first 2 were windmill isle, I knew city escape.

Release day delivery always seems like a roll of the dice
It really is, I should probably stop betting on it.

I played about half an hour and I'm enjoying it so far! Controls for the open zone area seem pretty good to me, I haven't messed with the sliders yet (started on high speed mode). Took me a few tries to beat the Tower guardian but I think I'm getting the hang of things.

This pretty much sums the game

3YNlXAu.jpg

FInally finished the first island and I liked the big boss battle, and yeah, the open world does feel like a playland. Also some of the collectibles are tricky

God I'm SO glad I did not spoiler myself with the Titan bosses! I got to the 2nd island and zoomed through cyberspace 2-1.

Honestly? Game's foundation is pretty solid. Just need to polish up a number of smaller things that add up to make an even better sequel...if Sonic Team/Sega learn from this game's technical shortcomings.

I scoffed at the “best 3/5 game of all time comments” yesterday but I think I get it now. I’m still futzing around the first island but this game is genuinely a blast. And I genuinely hate to say this but I do kinda get the “open zone” classification. It’s really not open world.

I'm on the 2nd island but my initial graded score for the game so far would be a solid 8/10.

Curious if my feelings will remain consistent the entire way through, go up or down.

i'm in what is clearly the final section and i'm pretty confident in giving it a 8/10 just because i've enjoyed my time, but there's enough weirdness and jank when it comes to things like the progression systems and the way the later islands fallback hard on 2D shifting that it sours me a little

this is probably the best sonic game they've put out since unleashed, but there's so many caveats i fully understand why it isn't resonating with a lot of people

i'm in what is clearly the final section and i'm pretty confident in giving it a 8/10 just because i've enjoyed my time, but there's enough weirdness and jank when it comes to things like the progression systems and the way the later islands fallback hard on 2D shifting that it sours me a little

this is probably the best sonic game they've put out since unleashed, but there's so many caveats i fully understand why it isn't resonating with a lot of people
How would you compare it for someone who really liked Generations (me)? I haven’t played Unleashed.

here's a take - 3D sonic games should have as few 2D segments as possible. They aren't fun to play and 3D Sonic controls and physics don't work in 2D.

I don't see many people talking about the weird tone of the game, like I just don't really understand why they would write a Sonic game like this and give it such a drab atmosphere. It's not even like Breath of the Wild was that melancholic, so far the main thing threading you along are dour conversations between Sonic and Amy with some extremely flaccid quips that don't make up for it at all. Does this improve?

How would you compare it for someone who really liked Generations (me)? I haven’t played Unleashed.
as someone who adores generations i still loved it, but it's kind of hard to compare. despite sonic's moveset, it really feels a lot more like an adventure title than boost. sonic still has a boost button but it actually feels more like lost world's run button, and the stages they lifted directly from boost games honestly feel worse than the remade SA2 stages.
here's a take - 3D sonic games should have as few 2D segments as possible. They aren't fun to play and 3D Sonic controls and physics don't work in 2D.
i am... kind of conflicted on this. i think 2D boost is a ton of fun, but there's definitely something off about it here. i've never really bought into the idea that it has no place in a 3D boost title since it does a good job at switching up the gameplay and letting you focus a little more on precision platforming, but they've never been good at nailing that balance
I don't see many people talking about the weird tone of the game, like I just don't really understand why they would write a Sonic game like this and give it such a drab atmosphere. It's not even like Breath of the Wild was that melancholic, so far the main thing threading you along are dour conversations between Sonic and Amy with some extremely flaccid quips that don't make up for it at all. Does this improve?
given the way things start with sonic being separated and amy clearly being in a weird state i didn't see too much of an issue with it, and her arc quickly turns optimistic. it's less that this is a sudden tonal shift and more of a return to form for many of us, but without some of the excessive early 2000s edginess, so it probably just rolls off us

Last edited:
I don't see many people talking about the weird tone of the game, like I just don't really understand why they would write a Sonic game like this and give it such a drab atmosphere.
It's written by Ian Flynn, who has been a writer of Sonic comics since the Archie days. And yeah, the tone of the comics is much more dour, taking more after the almost dystopian setting of the 90s Saturday morning cartoon than the sorts of bright and goofy stuff we've seen in the newer games and cartoons.

I find it funny but for the wrong reasons. For someone who skipped sonic for almost 20 years, was he always kinda a dick?

I.E.
Amy following the Koco and one of them dying and Sonic is like "OH Well, such is life, gotta run see you" or when you finish the quest and the 2 kocos met and agains sonic is "Amy, you mourn them...I'm going that way, later"

It's written by Ian Flynn, who has been a writer of Sonic comics since the Archie days. And yeah, the tone of the comics is much more dour, taking more after the almost dystopian setting of the 90s Saturday morning cartoon than the sorts of bright and goofy stuff we've seen in the newer games and cartoons.

It just seems kind of overwhelming, I can understand having serious moments and pathos but it's this all-encompassing cloud with this game.

Honestly a lot of it is less BotW and more Death Stranding lol

OK, this game has got to have the worst controls and camera during bosses ever, really bringing the game down for me.

Back
Top Bottom