• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance has been rated in Korea, complete edition of the game with improvements and additional content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is there’s not a whole lot pointing toward a multiplatform release in the first place. It could just be an enhanced rerelease for the same platform like they did with P5 Royal
I thought it was rumored for ps4 at least?

either way this is what we get for not kicking atlus' ass over p5 and p5r

Say what would you will about gamefreak but they have move from enchanced versions to dlc. I wish Altus would do the same

Can you imagine the outcry if that happened, but then again if this is announced for everything except the Switch those same people would celebrate saying things like how it won't be held back now or some other console war rhetoric.
I hope it comes to all systems, but I would be lying if deep down there wasn't a part of me that hopes it stays exclusive to switch just to piss off the console warriors, saying everything you just said and also how the game wasn't that great to begin with and how it's okay because they have superior RPGs and yada yada yada blah blah blah.

I thought it was rumored for ps4 at least?

either way this is what we get for not kicking atlus' ass over p5 and p5r
It was datamined that at one point there was a PS4 build considered. To me, that doesn’t mean a whole lot. Maybe I’m just coping because I want this on Switch above all else.

Difference being, how long does it take for Ubi games to go on sale, versus Atlus releasing an enhanced version of the same game, for the same price?

Persona 5 release worldwide in 2017, and then Royal was released two years later.

Also, 3rd Party games aren't like Nintendo games, that have a consistent sales volume, so Third Parties tend to reduce their MSRPs or publish sales discounts. All this does is it devalues the core MSRP, so they re-release the same game, with enhancements, to justify the original MSRP and, since it's "sorta new", people will buy it at full price.
At least in the case of Ubisoft-like situations, all you’ve really lost by buying early is the money you could have saved. But with this Atlus shit, you’re put in a situation where you could have had a better, “complete” version of the game if you would have waited, and if you want to experience that then you’re gonna have to play through the whole same ass 100-hour or whatever game again, just to see the new content and have the better, “complete” experience—not to mention having to buy the game a second time, of course. It fucking sucks.

I play a lot of games. I simply don’t have the time or desire to replay such long, exhausting RPGs like this, but I still want to be able to experience the “complete” game. There’s no fucking reason why shit like this can’t just be DLC in this day and age if it’s just gonna release on the same system anyway.

And yeah, maybe this is more of a third-party thing (though I’m not really aware of any other third-party companies who are still pulling this shit in 2024, certainly not among the third-party games I play at least), and to be fair I do mostly stick to Nintendo games which this never happens with (at least not anymore, and previously it was mostly just Pokémon that would do that but that’s all DLC now, too, and even before that it still felt worth it because you could transfer Pokémon between games).

At least in the case of Ubisoft-like situations, all you’ve really lost by buying early is the money you could have saved. But with this Atlus shit, you’re put in a situation where you could have had a better, “complete” version of the game if you would have waited, and if you want to experience that then you’re gonna have to play through the whole same ass 100-hour or whatever game again, just to see the new content and have the better, “complete” experience—not to mention having to buy the game a second time, of course. It fucking sucks.

I play a lot of games. I simply don’t have the time or desire to replay such long, exhausting RPGs like this, but I still want to be able to experience the “complete” game. There’s no fucking reason why shit like this can’t just be DLC in this day and age if it’s just gonna release on the same system anyway.

And yeah, maybe this is more of a third-party thing (though I’m not really aware of any other third-party companies who are still pulling this shit in 2024, certainly not among the third-party games I play at least), and to be fair I do mostly stick to Nintendo games which this never happens with (at least not anymore, and previously it was mostly just Pokémon that would do that but that’s all DLC now, too, and even before that it still felt worth it because you could transfer Pokémon between games).
It's the sad state of affair for the business model of video game publishers.

Quoted by: Tye
I really loved this game, Im just happy it will be played by more people, it really deserves a chance and hopefully some of the writing gets fixed in the upgraded version.

It's the sad state of affair for the business model of video game publishers.
But, again, you don’t see a bunch of other third-party publishers doing this same shit. Maybe some others, but it doesn’t seem to be the norm these days, and certainly not on Switch.

But, again, you don’t see a bunch of other third-party publishers doing this same shit. Maybe some others, but it doesn’t seem to be the norm these days, and certainly not on Switch.
I mean, Square Enix does it with KINGDOM HEARTS, though after KHIII, the usual Final Mix edition was turned into DLC so anyone can play it. so yeah, you have a point that the expanded version can be promoted as DLC, but, I doubt DLC has the same sales potential as a repackaged SKU

I mean, Square Enix does it with KINGDOM HEARTS, though after KHIII, the usual Final Mix edition was turned into DLC so anyone can play it. so yeah, you have a point that the expanded version can be promoted as DLC, but, I doubt DLC has the same sales potential as a repackaged SKU
I mean if they do a new release while also making the new content available to the original version via DLC, then that’s fine. And like I said, that seems to be the norm these days, regardless of how it was in the past. Even Pokémon has stopped releasing separate enhanced versions in favor of making that kind of content DLC instead. Really, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just do it both ways, like the Kingdom Hearts example, because that’s the best of both worlds.

I mean if they do a new release while also making the new content available to the original version via DLC, then that’s fine. And like I said, that seems to be the norm these days, regardless of how it was in the past. Even Pokémon has stopped releasing separate enhanced versions in favor of making that kind of content DLC instead. Really, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just do it both ways, like the Kingdom Hearts example, because that’s the best of both worlds.
Yeah, true. If it works for Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts, it should also work for Atlus.

If it makes you feel better, the "complete" version that Atlus releases later is often worse in a number of ways. So you can be confident that the first release is the original work as it was intended, and the rerelease will have some QOL improvements but also a lot of pandering and much worse pacing.

If it makes you feel better, the "complete" version that Atlus releases later is often worse in a number of ways. So you can be confident that the first release is the original work as it was intended, and the rerelease will have some QOL improvements but also a lot of pandering and much worse pacing.
I dunno, “worse” is subjective and I can’t think of a time where I ever preferred the base version of a game over a “complete” version. And regardless, the existence of a new version like this at all that’s released on the same system and isn’t compatible with the original version totally sours me on the game, and I may never go back and finish it now, and probably won’t bother with this franchise in general anymore in the future, either.

This is exactly the kind of thing that teaches people to not buy a company’s games at launch, though. It’s just like how Ubisoft drastically cuts the price of their games a few months or even weeks after launch, and then they act surprised that their launch sales weren’t as strong as they were hoping. Like, yeah, it’s because fewer and fewer people are buying your games at launch because you consistently do shit like that all the time that teaches people to not be early adopters unless you want to be screwed over.

Honestly, though, I find Atlus’s practices to be even worse. I just really cannot believe that they would do something like this nowadays. SMTV might be my first and last SMT game because of this.
Atlus has always been greedy as fuck

Someone that played both vanilla P5 and Royal can explain to me how both are different? How long is the "new content"(as in if it were like Torna or Future Redeemed), I know it kinda blends through the story instead of being a standalone thing but how many hours it adds or is the new story that interesting?

How different is SMT III Nocturne Maniax to Nocturne?

It's coming 3 years after SMT V released so I'm kinda trying to will this into being and Apocalypse-like sequel instead of just SMT V again but with a new character that if you do something changes the ending.

Someone that played both vanilla P5 and Royal can explain to me how both are different? How long is the "new content"(as in if it were like Torna or Future Redeemed), I know it kinda blends through the story instead of being a standalone thing but how many hours it adds or is the new story that interesting?

It's coming 3 years after SMT V released so I'm kinda trying to will this into being and Apocalypse-like sequel instead of just SMT V again but with a new character that if you do something changes the ending.
The entire third semester is new content, along with everything involving Maruki and Kasumi during the main game. Akechi's social link is revamped compared to the original as well.

4K/60fps finally.

2254b3e62ccd06110bb825a4e3e04dffc61c63f5.gifv
82a926bbb1b13bfd3efdad0a5b5f4d673cbd2bdb.gifv

The entire third semester is new content, along with everything involving Maruki and Kasumi during the main game. Akechi's social link is revamped compared to the original as well.
There's also how Palaces have an added smaller area. Forgot the name of the area, about the seed things.

Nocturne Maniax adds the Labyrinth of Amala and everything related to it including Dante, Fiend bosses and True Demon Ending, as well as balance changes and new skills.

I dunno, “worse” is subjective and I can’t think of a time where I ever preferred the base version of a game over a “complete” version. And regardless, the existence of a new version like this at all that’s released on the same system and isn’t compatible with the original version totally sours me on the game, and I may never go back and finish it now, and probably won’t bother with this franchise in general anymore in the future, either.
But isn't that circular? If complete is always better, does better just mean complete?

I think the notion of completeness is as subjective as quality. I never played Persona 5 Royal. I played the original, had a great time, and watched some of the Royal cutscenes on YouTube. I'd say I had a complete experience.

I hope they, in the very least, bring the game to Switch 2. Literally no reason to buy it on the Switch again when it ran so poorly.

....wait, Nintendo DID publish SMT V in Europe. Wow, Vengeance might actually end up staying on Switch.

But isn't that circular? If complete is always better, does better just mean complete?

I think the notion of completeness is as subjective as quality. I never played Persona 5 Royal. I played the original, had a great time, and watched some of the Royal cutscenes on YouTube. I'd say I had a complete experience.
Adding onto this, the new content in the Etrian Odyssey and Radiant Historia remakes was strictly worse than the base game. Adding it to the whole made those games less good than they were before. That's not the case for all the Atlus remakes (SJ Redux's new content was pretty great) but they do have a history of adding content that leads to a worse experience.

The point is I would want to experience any new additions, especially if those additions improve gameplay via quality of life updates or give further context to story details. I don’t really care that much if the pacing is different or stuff along those lines.

Last edited:
Perfect for the Switch+ Nintendo Cross-Gen System.

Why. Why would they do that? Like, I get that that’s a thing that Atlus and other publishers have done in the past…but in a world where patches and DLC exist, why the hell would you release an improved version of the same game on the same system?? That’s just gonna piss off people who bought the original version. I don’t understand. This isn’t the early 2000s anymore. Why do this??
They do it because I, specifically, want everything on the cartridge, thank you very much, so they have a chance of me actually buying this one. Why should such a thing specifically not exist?

Though it not being available to add for people who already have the game is a bit more questionable. It should generally be possible, right?

I don’t know exactly what “pandering” is supposed to mean here but it sounds more like a good thing than a bad thing to me.
Eh, I'm not an expert on how it tends to work in these cases, but pandering generally isn't too great a thing, no.

Honestly if Atlus rereleased Digital Devil Saga I'd recommend that as an entry point. Those games ruled.
Digital Devil Saga is still stuck on PS2...
Don't worry, they're currently working on the DDS Duology Remake.
As they should. The complete Digital Devil Saga.

Also the complete SMTIV.

Yeah to echo everybody else what I wouldn't do for a port of Digital Devil Saga with the only change being no Ras Trent. Worth doing a new dub just for that.

They do it because I, specifically, want everything on the cartridge, thank you very much, so they have a chance of me actually buying this one. Why should such a thing specifically not exist?

Though it not being available to add for people who already have the game is a bit more questionable. It should generally be possible, right?
Pretty sure that’s not why they do it at all, lol. I imagine the amount of people who truly care about having every bit of data on the game card—an ideal that’s increasingly less realistic these days, and honestly your game card may very well fail before both your system’s storage does and the eShop goes completely down anyway (after all, some 3DS game cards have already started to fail, and even the Wii Shop Channel still lets you redownload your purchases to this day)—is very likely significantly smaller than the amount of people who will be pissed off at situations like this where they have to rebuy and replay a whole game again on the same system just to experience new content.

Regardless, a “complete” version could exist both as a new, separate SKU and as DLC for the original version, as you point out. There’s no good reason for this to not be the case. Everyone wins in that case.

Eh, I'm not an expert on how it tends to work in these cases, but pandering generally isn't too great a thing, no.
I figured they probably meant, like, “fan service” but not necessarily in a strictly sexual way (as in, say, more content of characters or whatever that people really like, like how you could say something like, say, Smash Bros. is total fan service for Nintendo fans), but perhaps that’s the wrong assumption for me to make, lol. Not that I’m against sexy stuff or think that it’s inherently bad and always makes something worse, because I don’t believe that (not to say that it’s always good, either, of course), but yeah, I probably wouldn’t be too interested in whatever Atlus would provide in that area. =P I’m new to Atlus games so I don’t exactly have much experience with what to expect from them, but my opinion on them is quickly souring, that’s for sure.

....wait, Nintendo DID publish SMT V in Europe. Wow, Vengeance might actually end up staying on Switch.

Adding onto this, the new content in the Etrian Odyssey and Radiant Historia remakes was strictly worse than the base game. Adding it to the whole made those games less good than they were before. That's not the case for all the Atlus remakes (SJ Redux's new content was pretty great) but they do have a history of adding content that leads to a worse experience.
NoE did the the FIGS translations themselves too.

It was datamined that at one point there was a PS4 build considered. To me, that doesn’t mean a whole lot. Maybe I’m just coping because I want this on Switch above all else.
after p3r trust no one, not even yourself. but it would be genuinely funny to not release it on switch or to release it on the switch alone. so much comedic potential.

Regardless, a “complete” version could exist both as a new, separate SKU and as DLC for the original version, as you point out. There’s no good reason for this to not be the case. Everyone wins in that case.
From what I understand the additional content isn’t always something that could be patched in or DLC. New dungeons, monsters, or post-game story sure, but I think they add new characters and story arcs that play out over the course of a regular play-through. I suppose there could be a way to work that into an existing game but I’m sure save files would be a mess. I’ve only dabbled in SMT games (IV and V), so I can’t speak with 100% confidence.

That said, I own vanilla V and will be hard pressed to buy a full priced expanded version. I’d probably go play one of the multiple other unfinished SMT games I have before replaying V. Still, I expect the freedom to do whatever to the base game is why Atlus chooses to do it this way.

From what I understand the additional content isn’t always something that could be patched in or DLC. New dungeons, monsters, or post-game story sure, but I think they add new characters and story arcs that play out over the course of a regular play-through. I suppose there could be a way to work that into an existing game but I’m sure save files would be a mess. I’ve only dabbled in SMT games (IV and V), so I can’t speak with 100% confidence.

That said, I own vanilla V and will be hard pressed to buy a full priced expanded version. I’d probably go play one of the multiple other unfinished SMT games I have before replaying V. Still, I expect the freedom to do whatever to the base game is why Atlus chooses to do it this way.
Even in cases like that, though, it could still work as DLC, just requiring a different save file from the vanilla game’s. At least in that case you’d still be able to get the general quality of life updates and such on your original safe file, even if you’d have to start a new save to experience most of the new content.

Even in cases like that, though, it could still work as DLC, just requiring a different save file from the vanilla game’s. At least in that case you’d still be able to get the general quality of life updates and such on your original safe file, even if you’d have to start a new save to experience most of the new content.
They probably could make something like that work, but at that point there’s very little difference between that and just releasing it as a new game. Because what they really want is to be able to charge full price for it, so sure it can be DLC… $60 DLC 😄

They probably could make something like that work, but at that point there’s very little difference between that and just releasing it as a new game. Because what they really want is to be able to charge full price for it, so sure it can be DLC… $60 DLC 😄
And that's why instead of 25€ from me they will get nothing ^^

Even if I have to say SMT5 is one of those games that need a proper rework, cause there is so much good there with some not great aspects

I wonder how grumpy people are going to be when Atlus releases an enhanced version of a supposedly enhanced $70 remake of a PS2 game in a few years 🤔

I disagree with y'all. If they're finally adding a plot to SMTV, I'm all in, and I suppose that would also entail Nahobino's most fabulous form yet.

wasn't there a rumored SMT PS2 game remake at some point too? would love DDS HD.
That was Nocturne. There's never been any news about other MegaTen games making comebacks.

As much as a shame as it is, I don't want to start a Fami->Internet->Fami rumor like the people expecting a FE4 remake.

I played the game when it came out and then dropped it because i got frustrated i couldn't get past the first boss without dying and i didn't like grindy games back then. Guess this is my call to revisit it and give it another go.

I played the game when it came out and then dropped it because i got frustrated i couldn't get past the first boss without dying and i didn't like grindy games back then. Guess this is my call to revisit it and give it another go.
SMT typically isn't grindy. You can be underleveled and still cook bosses.

It has more to do with exploiting weaknesses. And also it's among the few JRPGs where buffs/debuffs actually matter. They work on bosses, and you will need to use them to get the upper hand.

As a general rule, whatever you can do to enemies, they can do back to you. So use all the tools at your disposal.

Suffice to say, fusing the right demons does way more for you than grinding levels.

SMT typically isn't grindy. You can be underleveled and still cook bosses.

Suffice to say, fusing the right demons does way more for you than grinding levels.
Though depending on how hardcore you decide to go with perfecting your demon fusions, you may end up grinding for Macca cause even with the Miracles to lower compendium costs, resummoning demons is pretty dang expensive. And if you don't have the DLC, grinding for Macca generally amounts to running around and either searching vending machines or killing gold Mitamas (which do have some set spawn locations, but the DLC makes way more of them spawn).

But if you're just playing through on normal and you don't care about making "perfect" demons, then it won't be an issue.

I'm reasonably excited towards this, even though, yes, i think it sucks that it will likely be 60$, especially since i already own the OG release, but ATLUS is going to ATLUS and even though i wish they did better, i still sadly really like their games.

I always thought SMT V was a game that did a lot of things right, but also did a lot of things wrong, the story had a lot of potential, the setting was great, but it was very undeveloped, Press Turn was great on SMT V, but i didn't really like how the open-world was a bit bland, on top of the lack of dungeons and the general lack of usage of the real world.

Given how this took 2 years to come out, i'm more willing to say this is a IV: Apocalypse situation instead of a Mainax re-release, but i would be happy with either, assuming they took the time to fix the issues with the game, and if that happens, i'm buying it day 0.

I do hope this releases on PC at least, I love my Switch OLED, especially for RPGs, but the OG release did not run well on it at all, the game was rarely felt smooth on the Switch and the menus felt so laggy too, if they didn't fix the performance (which i'm skeptical of, it's an UE4 title and those don't have a great track record), i'd much rather play this elsewhere.

And to echo the sentiment, i'd love a Digital Devil Saga re-release too, don't think it will happen though, but i love those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom