• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance has been rated in Korea, complete edition of the game with improvements and additional content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on how big the expansion is, either a fraction of the team worker on it or almost all of the SMTV was tasked with it, and only a portion was working on SMTVI, which honestly should be released a year or two after Switch 2’s launch

As much as I love SMT (and V), I'm not playing that behemoth of a game again because of some additional content. I was hoping it was going to be a sequel like Apocalypse.

I will buy it because I love SMT, but I really hope I don't have to play through the bulk of the story again, even if I thought it was perfectly fine compared to other entries. I just want new demons and a map or dungeon to explore. I actually hope they don't add a ton of story, I absolutely loathe that about Atlus' other games. Make them such a slog.

what does it mean when the rating gets removed, is it still happening?

Definitely into an expanded edition, but I'm not playing it in Switch again. Hopefully the Nvidia leak from a few years ago saying it'll bet a PC version is true.

If this is a Nocturne Maniax style "here's a bonus dungeon with a new ending that invalidates the entire story of the original game" re-release then I am not biting.

I may be a Shin Megami Tensei simp but even I have limits.

If this is a Nocturne Maniax style "here's a bonus dungeon with a new ending that invalidates the entire story of the original game" re-release then I am not biting.

I may be a Shin Megami Tensei simp but even I have limits.
Did Nocturne do that?

I’m going to unleash the world’s nastiest fart at Atlus HQ if this somehow skips Switch

I know I'll get this improved version. Maybe not day 1, but eventually later at a lower price.

As much as I love SMT (and V), I'm not playing that behemoth of a game again because of some additional content. I was hoping it was going to be a sequel like Apocalypse.
Yeah, that’s where I’m at, although I’m far from loving the game

Despite its flaws, I quite liked SMT V.
But for this re-release to be worthwhile they should absolutely address those flaws, it's just isn't the kind of game where you can add a new character and a new ending, like other Atlus re-releases, and call it a day.

Despite its flaws, I quite liked SMT V.
But for this re-release to be worthwhile they should absolutely address those flaws, it's just isn't the kind of game where you can add a new character and a new ending, like other Atlus re-releases, and call it a day.
Most Atlus rereleases do more than that and tend to address flaws.

Loved the gameplay but my main concerns were the story/characters (like everyone else) and some of the later areas not really hitting. Gameplay was great as per usual with SMT (though I'd like to see the level scaling changed and the game rebalanced with that in mind)

If it improves the story I'll buy it on a discount later.

So…what exactly is this version likely to be? Like, is it essentially just the game being ported to other systems, or will it likely be on Switch too? I got halfway through SMTV back when it came out (stopped because I got burned out trying to fill up the compendium as I played…) and it’s gonna be really shitty if they release a better version of the game on the same system, especially if it’s incompatible with the save data from the original version.

So…what exactly is this version likely to be? Like, is it essentially just the game being ported to other systems, or will it likely be on Switch too? I got halfway through SMTV back when it came out (stopped because I got burned out trying to fill up the compendium as I played…) and it’s gonna be really shitty if they release a better version of the game on the same system, especially if it’s incompatible with the save data from the original version.
Funny thing is there’s not a whole lot pointing toward a multiplatform release in the first place. It could just be an enhanced rerelease for the same platform like they did with P5 Royal

Funny thing is there’s not a whole lot pointing toward a multiplatform release in the first place. It could just be an enhanced rerelease for the same platform like they did with P5 Royal
Can you imagine the outcry if that happened, but then again if this is announced for everything except the Switch those same people would celebrate saying things like how it won't be held back now or some other console war rhetoric.

The description from the ratings board is that it's an enhanced edition of SMT V with added content and improvements.

So I would guess yeah it's a better version of the game on the same system (if you're on Switch), and it won't be compatible with your old save.

Quoted by: Tye
The description from the ratings board is that it's an enhanced edition of SMT V with added content and improvements.

So I would guess yeah it's a better version of the game on the same system (if you're on Switch), and it won't be compatible with your old save.
Why. Why would they do that? Like, I get that that’s a thing that Atlus and other publishers have done in the past…but in a world where patches and DLC exist, why the hell would you release an improved version of the same game on the same system?? That’s just gonna piss off people who bought the original version. I don’t understand. This isn’t the early 2000s anymore. Why do this??

Why. Why would they do that? Like, I get that that’s a thing that Atlus and other publishers have done in the past…but in a world where patches and DLC exist, why the hell would you release an improved version of the same game on the same system?? That’s just gonna piss off people who bought the original version. I don’t understand. This isn’t the early 2000s anymore. Why do this??
$$$

Why sell a DLC upgrade, when you can sell a new full priced SKU?

It's scummy, but that's the Atlus way.

Persona 3 Re-Reload and Metaphor: Re-ReFantazio are on the way!

i think a pc release is pretty much a lock, as it was part of that nvidia leak from years ago. beyond that and switch tho, i don't know.

Same reason we're gonna get Persona 3 Reload + the Answer with the Switch 2: it prints money.

i think a pc release is pretty much a lock, as it was part of that nvidia leak from years ago. beyond that and switch tho, i don't know.
Bayonetta 3 and Mario+Rabbids were on there as well. Switch uses Nvidia so it doesn’t automatically mean a PC release.

Bayonetta 3 and Mario+Rabbids were on there as well. Switch uses Nvidia so it doesn’t automatically mean a PC release.
true, i guess we'll see. but if it's just switch the reactions online aren't gonna be pretty.

$$$

Why sell a DLC upgrade, when you can sell a new full priced SKU?

It's scummy, but that's the Atlus way.

Persona 3 Re-Reload and Metaphor: Re-ReFantazio are on the way!
Same reason we're gonna get Persona 3 Reload + the Answer with the Switch 2: it prints money.
How the fuck is it even worth it for them these days? Surely it can’t be that profitable, enough that it’s worth all the ire it must draw from fans? Who are all these people that are just waiting to drop money on rebuying the same game for the same system?? It’s especially ridiculous considering these are long, single-player narrative-based games, which is pretty much the last kind of game that I’d ever want to rebuy on the same system without my save data being carried over…

How the fuck is it even worth it for them these days?
Worth to the company or to the consumer?

Surely it can’t be that profitable,
It must be if they keep doing it. I'd suggest it could break-even, but I doubt companies nowadays know what that is lol

enough that it’s worth all the ire it must draw from fans?
I seriously doubt Atlus cares what a vocal minority in the internet makes a drama about, even if said situation is amplified by gaming media for the sake of generating traffic to their sites.

Who are all these people that are just waiting to drop money on rebuying the same game for the same system??
Just a market of people that don't mind double-dipping and/or people that weren't bother to purchase the original.

If FINAL FANTASY XV proved anything, is that re-releases work, especially ones with all DLC packed into it (Royal Edition).

FFXV is a Masterclass on content updated video games living on a year, two, three beyond its release date and a new SKU.

It’s especially ridiculous considering these are long, single-player narrative-based games, which is pretty much the last kind of game that I’d ever want to rebuy on the same system without my save data being carried over…
There's also the kind of people that this take as an excuse to replay the game.

Depending on what story additions are in Vengeance, I might double-dip and replay the game. Haven't played it since the last time I touched it years ago.

Barely over a million is not that popular in this era and I'm not sure it reaches the "popular enough to gouge your fans" tier.
Pretty solid for a Switch exclusive JRPG that isn't from Nintendo.

And Atlus doesn't care about their fan base. They've been doing this for over a decade, and they've only gotten more popular.

I agree with this. Everyone remembers the initial datamine with the PS4 and PC tags, but the PS4 one was removed later. Other 3rd party titles that Nintendo published such as Daemon X Machina, Octopath Traveler 1, etc. only had PC releases, no PS. I think the only exception to that was when Xbox got OT1 (obvious Game Pass) and LAL coming to PS4, but Nintendo also didn't do the FIGS translations for those.

It's really going to come down to what the cost of the translation will be versus projected sales. Maybe Nintendo let's Atlus use the translation at no or little cost for PC only (similar to the Bayo 1 JP dub for the Steam release) whereas it's higher if they want to go full multiplat. Either way, I don't think this rerelease will sell as well as some expect.

Last edited:
Worth to the company or to the consumer?

It must be if they keep doing it. I'd suggest it could break-even, but I doubt companies nowadays know what that is lol

I seriously doubt Atlus cares what a vocal minority in the internet makes a drama about, even if said situation is amplified by gaming media for the sake of generating traffic to their sites.

Just a market of people that don't mind double-dipping and/or people that weren't bother to purchase the original.

If FINAL FANTASY XV proved anything, is that re-releases work, especially ones with all DLC packed into it (Royal Edition).

FFXV is a Masterclass on content updated video games living on a year, two, three beyond its release date and a new SKU.

There's also the kind of people that this take as an excuse to replay the game.

Depending on what story additions are in Vengeance, I might double-dip and replay the game. Haven't played it since the last time I touched it years ago.
This is exactly the kind of thing that teaches people to not buy a company’s games at launch, though. It’s just like how Ubisoft drastically cuts the price of their games a few months or even weeks after launch, and then they act surprised that their launch sales weren’t as strong as they were hoping. Like, yeah, it’s because fewer and fewer people are buying your games at launch because you consistently do shit like that all the time that teaches people to not be early adopters unless you want to be screwed over.

Honestly, though, I find Atlus’s practices to be even worse. I just really cannot believe that they would do something like this nowadays. SMTV might be my first and last SMT game because of this.

This is exactly the kind of thing that teaches people to not buy a company’s games at launch, though. It’s just like how Ubisoft drastically cuts the price of their games a few months or even weeks after launch, and then they act surprised that their launch sales weren’t as strong as they were hoping.
Difference being, how long does it take for Ubi games to go on sale, versus Atlus releasing an enhanced version of the same game, for the same price?

Persona 5 release worldwide in 2017, and then Royal was released two years later.

Also, 3rd Party games aren't like Nintendo games, that have a consistent sales volume, so Third Parties tend to reduce their MSRPs or publish sales discounts. All this does is it devalues the core MSRP, so they re-release the same game, with enhancements, to justify the original MSRP and, since it's "sorta new", people will buy it at full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom