• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance has been rated in Korea, complete edition of the game with improvements and additional content

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit
The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated “Shin Megami Tensei V: Vegneance.” (Update 1:54 a.m.: The rating has been removed.)

According to the description, it is a complete edition of Shin Megami Tensei V with improvements and additional content.

Shin Megami Tensei V first launched for Switch on November 11, 2021 in Japan and November 12, 2021 worldwide. Rumors of a “Complete Edition” surfaced in June 2023.

Last edited:
I wonder which team took care of this version of the game. The team that developed SMT V itself hopefully is already working on VI; it would be annoying if they spent their time on this version of V instead and we’d have to wait just that much longer for SMT VI in turn.

I wonder which team took care of this version of the game. The team that developed SMT V itself hopefully is already working on VI; it would be annoying if they spent their time on this version of V instead and we’d have to wait just that much longer for SMT VI in turn.
They had the Persona 6 team work on this.

Unfortunately as a result, Persona 6 has been pushed back to 2027.

While i would love for this to be on multiple platforms, i still hope it is announced at a Nintendo Direct or event first

Interested to see the scope of this added content and the changes made. SMTV is a modern rpg where, honestly, I thought it was well-rounded and polished as it was. I came away from it thinking it was just really solid all the way through.

On the listing "Vengeance" is in English, how interesting.

Also look I love SMT and bought V day one but this proves you're a sucker if you buy Atlus games before their rerelease. Not getting VI at launch that's for sure.

On the listing "Vengeance" is in English, how interesting.

Also look I love SMT and bought V day one but this proves you're a sucker if you buy Atlus games before their rerelease. Not getting VI at launch that's for sure.
I’ll be a sucker for life, alas. I’m not waiting two additional years to play Atlus games when they already take an eternity.

Interested to see the scope of this added content and the changes made. SMTV is a modern rpg where, honestly, I thought it was well-rounded and polished as it was. I came away from it thinking it was just really solid all the way through.
I would mostly want an expansion to the story and characters - but that’s kind of hard to do reworking the same game. Maybe something that greatly expands the ending parts? Maybe a final new “zone” to explore?

Like you said the combat and mechanics are already very good.

I would mostly want an expansion to the story and characters - but that’s kind of hard to do reworking the same game. Maybe something that greatly expands the ending parts? Maybe a final new “zone” to explore?

Like you said the combat and mechanics are already very good.
Yeah that makes sense. The game was made up mostly of a handful of large zones. Maybe one new zone with some new enemies and people to talk to? I liked the fairy village in SMTV where Titania was sheltering a load of both humans and monsters, that was cool.

Yeah that makes sense. The game was made up mostly of a handful of large zones. Maybe one new zone with some new enemies and people to talk to? I liked the fairy village in SMTV where Titania was sheltering a load of both humans and monsters, that was cool.
The final sections of SMTV definitely feel a bit rushed and half-baked - IIRC even the devs said as much due to time and COVID restraints. So I could see this being a way to rewrite and expand all that out. Maybe either change the endings, or add an extra longer ‘true’ ending kind of like SMT3, too.

We should make a bit of talking about things being shown at the Switch 2 unveiling “next month” until they actually have a Switch 2 Presentation.
I'm all for talking things into existence.

Well as someone who just bought this… I don’t suppose they could be DLC…
We don't even know what it actually entails yet.

Could be just a version that contains all DLC and is multiplatform, with some minor extra content maybe?
Or it could be SMTV -"Actually finished "-Edition cause the game kinda falls apart in the end (Even if I still loved it, shame how you get that demon that was supposed to be ridable way underlevelled in some route for example).

I guess we'll see when they actual announce it, maybe they add some random new cover girl again that has a unique side quest like most Atlus rereleases.

Last edited:
I think just adding in interstitial story scenes and reworking endings would go a long way. Atlus has already shown they’re very good at these things, so I’m interested to see how it works out here if that’s their approach.

I’ll be a sucker for life, alas. I’m not waiting two additional years to play Atlus games when they already take an eternity.
I've got a backlog I can't finish in my lifetime, I can wait.

For new content, it'll probably be an equivalent to the Labyrinth of Amala. One long dungeon unconnected to the rest of the game that you can access new parts of over time.

3txjbc.jpg

PEAK HAS ARRIVED
(So uh how reliable would this be?)

I'm somewhat iffy on a complete edition since I don't typically replay games, even ones I love like this one. But maybe there'll be enough new stuff to warrant it

I think the version of SMT5 we got was a great game, mostly due to its stellar gameplay. A version that fills out the many story gaps in the second half would be so nice to have.

Well that's another game leaked for Partners Direct lol.

Yeah...idk if I have the will to play the game all over again. Gameplay, music, and exploration is top notch for sure but everything else is just not so great. It kinda gives me similar feeling to FE Engage, great gameplay, music and map design but everything else was a turn off and after completing it, I just have no desire to go back to it.

I put off finishing this because of the iffy performance, would be nice if they finally fixed the stuttering on Switch (or brought it to systems where it isn’t an issue).

Will have to see what the changes are. Kinda hope it comes to other platforms too, the Switch does its best and I thought it was perfectly playable but I'd love to see how it looks on a more powerful system.

Here's hoping the alignment choices get a rework. The alignments as they are in the game are all painfully unsatisfying and the only alignment that gets a ton of major "show, don't tell" depth is Law. (Neutral gets some of it, but not nearly enough to be compelling and Chaos literally just exists and you're given basically nothing for its ideology in specific.)

SMT4 had better alignment writing than this, heck even the ones in Apocalypse (which was hyperfocused on Neutral) had compelling enough writing to make you at least consider them.

A big element to that is the main cast is too underutilized. Some of the characters have basically no relevance outside of sidequests and even for the Law/Chaos/Neutral reps, their appearances are too disjointed to be worthwhile. Compare and contrast to SMT1, SMT2 and SMT4 and the difference is so stark its not even funny. In all of those, you spend significant time with the representatives, see them grow into believing the extremist beliefs they will end up having by the end and you can at least see why they ended up that way, making the alignments compelling. 5 follows the Nocturne approach but unlike Nocturne, which didn't do Law/Neutral/Chaos because it didn't fit the model (instead asking you to pick from a list of belief systems that encompass a bit of both Law and Chaos), 5 did do it and it feels really bland.

Other than that, the game suffers a lot from feeling very aimless and same-y. The open world design seems great at first but I really miss the tight dungeon crawling from the other parts of the franchise. You early on get the feeling it might head in that direction but it never does anything with it - you're just exploring open deserts, snowfields and bombed out buildings throughout.

I'm probably not buying this coz I just bought and finished SMTV last year, but I'm curious to see exactly what the additions are

I felt the general navigation experience to be much better than in SMTIV, personally. I could personally do without ever going through stuff like Camp Ichigaya or that godforsaken maze again, for example.

I really enjoyed the original game - so I hope everyone who hasnt played it yet jumps in with this version.
Hey that's me! Feeling real glad to have held off now.

Hoping for SEGA to self-publish this in Europe too this time around so that I may pick it up on a nice steep-ish sale. Never tried a Megaten game and I'm a little scared I'd be burnt by its difficulty, a lower entry price would persuade me to go into it much more comfortably.

I've heard that apparently V is on the more manageable side of things though? Would the SMT vets in the thread agree?

Last edited:

Hoping for SEGA to self-publish this in Europe too this time around, so that I may pick it up on a nice steep-ish sale. Never tried a Megaten game and I'm a little scared I'd be burnt by its difficulty, a lower entry price would persuade would have me go into it much more comfortably.

I've heard that apparently V is on the more manageable side of things though? Would the SMT vets in the thread agree?
SMT V really isn't terribly difficult at all, and I say this as someone who doesn't really have that high a tolerance for extremely difficult games. Just properly engage with its systems and I'd say you won't have too much difficulty outside of maybe flubbing a boss here and there because you needed to fight 'em unprepared once to figure out what the right strategy is.

Most SMT games do have an early-game "gate" boss, who tests if you've been paying attention, though. There are a couple candidates for that in this one, but I don't think they're "infuriating" difficult so much as reminders not to try and coast.

Last edited:
I dunno why I ever buy Atlus games when they almost always do a better version with new content a year or two later.

The difficulty of all the post-Super Nintendo MegaTen games are slightly exaggerated; V is a good entry point but there are two bosses early on that are absolute brick walls designed to make you suffer unless you've learned how the mechanics worked. (Enemies that miss or have attacks blocked burn turns).

Honestly if Atlus rereleased Digital Devil Saga I'd recommend that as an entry point. Those games ruled.

The only games in the last 15 years I say I wouldn't be a good starting point are SMT 4 or 4A. Unless you're cruising for 3DS games that shouldn't be a problem though.

The game's difficulty is also super front-loaded, as is in my experience not uncommon with SMT/Atlus games. Once you get to the back half, options open up to you that allow you to borderline game the system.

Hoping for SEGA to self-publish this in Europe too this time around so that I may pick it up on a nice steep-ish sale. Never tried a Megaten game and I'm a little scared I'd be burnt by its difficulty, a lower entry price would persuade me to go into it much more comfortably.

It is much more manageable compared to prior games and this new version should include all DLC so you can use those quests to tweak the difficulty further with those cheat items if needed. They also patched out one of the only challenging parts of the game after launch because people struggled with the platforming too much.

I wouldn’t call SMT III, IV or V difficult. Rather … demanding, without much handholding. These games expect the players to fully engage with the options they’re given. In that sense they are more unkind than difficult.

One of the greatest games they've made. I've already beaten it and fused every monster but I wouldn't mind doing all those once again.

But.. I'd rather have Atlus re-release stuff they never had before. Digital Devil Saga is still stuck on PS2...

One of the greatest games they've made. I've already beaten it and fused every monster but I wouldn't mind doing all those once again.

But.. I'd rather have Atlus re-release stuff they never had before. Digital Devil Saga is still stuck on PS2...
Don't worry, they're currently working on the DDS Duology Remake.

🥺

Hell yeah probably a Partner Direct announcement I think!

I just wish it'd be a sequel like SMT IV Apocalypse and not just a complete version. Here's hoping the additional content is more of an expansion/epilogue that adds a new story/area or something. P5 Royal was apparently super substantial so I hope it follows that route. If it's not a sequel I hope the additional content can be available as DLC but I wouldn't hope my breath for it... If we got the new version + sequel reveal tho 👀

Sigh, see, this would be a game i would get on Switch 2. I somehow doubt Atlus worked on the games performance at all, so for me improvements means gameplay / plot / whatever.

On top, i gotta see what additional content that is. Dunno if some improvements and additional content could fix the plot.

This has a lot of potential and I'm excited! Beyond improvements to the story I hope more dungeons are added.

I wouldn’t call SMT III, IV or V difficult. Rather … demanding, without much handholding. These games expect the players to fully engage with the options they’re given. In that sense they are more unkind than difficult.
IV is less demanding and more cheap. Save anywhere means the devs can let you get one-shotted by random mobs and you'd lose a few minutes of progress if you are saving regularly.

But the actual problem is that the 4 duo are super reliant on familiarity with SMT 1 to tell the full story. There's an artbook or interview where devs mentioned that there was a whole extra part to the first game that would have been set in Tokyo before things got real. The current start of the game would have been the 1/3rd mark or midpoint, just like SMT 1.

IV is less demanding and more cheap. Save anywhere means the devs can let you get one-shotted by random mobs and you'd lose a few minutes of progress if you are saving regularly.
Agreed on the part about saving anywhere. As for being cheap then, well, that's a question of how you define cheap. Getting unlucky and being punished without a real chance of avoiding the situation? I'd argue that can be applied to all of the three games mentioned, though to varying degrees. Cheap in "well, that's just annoying right now and without real consequence"? Yeah, IV is the worst about that, for sure.

People often overstate the difficulty of the franchise too much in my experience. SMT isn't necessarily difficult, it just makes you pay attention to the turn-based RPG systems in a way that most JRPGs tend to be pretty light on.

Most JRPGs tone down the amount of engagement you need in their fights because the real content is the story. SMT has the fights be the content; as long as you don't overlook the strength of status (de)buff moves you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom