• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance announced for PC and consoles, coming June 14th (UPDATE: trailer #2, see threadmarks)

Yeah, I think this is one of those (for me rather rare) cases where the technical improvements are so severe that it'll make me play it on other hardware.
But also agreed on your second point: I do struggle with that as well. Even when playing them on my PC instead. Switch fits my life style much more.
But I've bought my gaming PC exactly for cases like this one where I don't enjoy the Switch versions of games, so I guess it kinda just works out that way.

let's say that being on GamePass (I don't know abot this one specifically) could help - at least in making the decision easier (download "for free" vs pay LOL): even if I'm not going to play it for many hours and I'd like on Xbox (compared to Switch) I'm not suffering for a wasted purchase

but I've seen it also with Like a Dragon: I played 10h since its launch on GamePass and disinstalled - while a shorter game like Evil West: I'm almost done with it in few days, being in the last 2 chapters

I even didnt download Persona 3 remake for the same reason/issue

so yes, Switch is my absolute #1 choice for RPGs: having already played the base version of this one, I was in any case thinking of leaving the review code (Switch version) to one of my colleagues as I said

so at the end: I don't know if / when / where I will actually play it lol

You know those memes/jokes about being "Betatesters", right?

Gotta say, i don't think i've ever had that feeling as much as with this game.

I wish we would get a Switch 2 version, but I know waiting for that is just a fools errand. I guess I'll just play it on the PS4.

I played around 140 hours of the game, while thinks look great there isnt much incentive for me to get it right away. Plus its releasing in tough time, but if its like SMT V Ill get the physical pretty cheap later.

I'll be the dumdum that will buy the same game twice 🤡.
But this time not at launch, I'll have to wait for a sale because of lack of money, but yeah, I'll probably get it again and it will be a great excuse to replay the game.

I'm not typically one to buy games twice but tbh this is kinda looking like a new game with the old one bundled in

But that could be just for marketing and the actual release Vengeance path will be much more similar to the original. Will definitely be waiting for reviews on this one

I'm not typically one to buy games twice but tbh this is kinda looking like a new game with the old one bundled in

But that could be just for marketing and the actual release Vengeance path will be much more similar to the original. Will definitely be waiting for reviews on this one
Yeah it could end up being less different than they're letting on, but my hope (and what it kind of appears to be) is that it's sort of like if SMT4 and SMT4:A were bundled together in the same game and you picked one or the other partway through. So it'll still have a lot of the same locations, but the plot will be totally different and there will be a lot of new stuff especially as you get further in.

I also wonder if the new big dungeon they teased will be kind of like the ones they added in Strange Journey Redux and Nocturne, where you can explore it in bite-sized chunks over the course of the entire game, or if it's only later in

New trailer looks great, still hoping for an upgrade path.
I'm still holding out a faint hope for an upgrade path for the original game, but I preordered a retail copy (Switch) when I picked up Unicorn Overlord.

You know those memes/jokes about being "Betatesters", right?

Gotta say, i don't think i've ever had that feeling as much as with this game.
I make the beta test joke a lot here (hello Final Fantasy) but strangely I don't feel the same. the game's been out since 2021. I didn't really have much of a fuss about the performance. I have cleared all routes and all the DLC. I've gotten 95 hours of enjoyment out of it. also to me it's easier to swallow that while non-Switch owners have to play catch up and do all the things in the original game I can jump right into the new content. feels like I'm ahead of the pack

The original game was released roughly 2 years and a half ago, this angle hardly bothers me. The real annoyance is the price.
I mean, the price is fine if it's your first time buying the game. But they should have made it that you get a reduced price if you already own the original, kinda like an upgrade version.

Sigh...

Opens wallet to rebuy the game at full price like a sucker.

Would love if this can be purchased as an upgrade from SMTV so I can play the 2nd game.

Otherwise sadly I’m not interested and will focus in Persona 5 Royal lol.

I make the beta test joke a lot here (hello Final Fantasy) but strangely I don't feel the same. the game's been out since 2021. I didn't really have much of a fuss about the performance. I have cleared all routes and all the DLC. I've gotten 95 hours of enjoyment out of it. also to me it's easier to swallow that while non-Switch owners have to play catch up and do all the things in the original game I can jump right into the new content. feels like I'm ahead of the pack

Beta testers do indeed get to play games ahead of everyone else.

Yeah. The time it was out earlier is not the point. Betta argument is stupid.

The thing that the question is:
Is it Dlc worthy a full price for owners of the original. If Es, sure, and new ones get a huge deal by repackaging the first one.
Kinda like sequels that come with the first entry included.

But if it's not... Then not having a Dlc only option kills it for me. I'm not part of a milkable Rebuy audience. I also was never one who bought third editions in Pokémon, essentially the same concept, and they learned by having it simply be Dlc with newer releases.

Yeah. The time it was out earlier is not the point. Betta argument is stupid.

The thing that the question is:
Is it Dlc worthy a full price for owners of the original. If Es, sure, and new ones get a huge deal by repackaging the first one.
Kinda like sequels that come with the first entry included.

But if it's not... Then not having a Dlc only option kills it for me. I'm not part of a milkable Rebuy audience. I also was never one who bought third editions in Pokémon, essentially the same concept, and they learned by having it simply be Dlc with newer releases.
That’s how I look at it. Is this basically a new game ala SMT4:A that could have been just the new path as a standalone release for $60 and you get the base game as a bonus more or less? Or is it just a beefy expansion that should have had a DLC option for like $30? Hard to say until we get more info.

My dear Alice is level 95 already. I wish I has the change to buy an upgrade instead of the full game. Come on Atlus!!

edit
my phone mistypes whatever, and I didnt notice it haha.

Last edited:
My dear Alice is level 95 already. I wish I has the change to buy an upgrade instead of the full game. Come on Atlus!!
Oh it's not just me then. Alice had a really nice magic set so I didn't fuse her, kept grinding her up to 80s. The rest of my team was ~lv80 fusions like Raphael, Vishnu etc.

You're in luck. Us beta testers can carry over three whole demons to the new release.
While an upgrade path would have been cool, I honestly don’t feel like a ‘beta tester’ 2.5 years after really enjoying my playthrough of the base game. I got 50+ hours out of it and loved it.

I feel like I might be crazy, but I'm planning on picking this up on my Switch despite having a very good PC and a PS5. I know performance will be much better there, but I'm doing a very large portion of my gaming on Switch these days and being able to play in handheld while the girlfriend watches something on TV or bringing my Switch to work to play on my lunch break has been a very big change for me in my gaming habits.

Oh it's not just me then. Alice had a really nice magic set so I didn't fuse her, kept grinding her up to 80s. The rest of my team was ~lv80 fusions like Raphael, Vishnu etc.
For me is personal preference. Also, I usually keep the first pixie I get from the game.
It'll be 40 dollars after a month, and then 15 in three.
That's my plan. Same price as an upgrade.
we got a confirmation Switch owners don't have an upgrade path?
Afaik, there is no option on the eshop and we already got the digital version.

Afaik, there is no option on the eshop and we already got the digital version.
ah I hadn't realized the Switch digital is available now. yup that seals it. guess I have to dump $80 CAD for the launch edition and another $26 for the DLC 😅

I feel like I might be crazy, but I'm planning on picking this up on my Switch despite having a very good PC and a PS5. I know performance will be much better there, but I'm doing a very large portion of my gaming on Switch these days and being able to play in handheld while the girlfriend watches something on TV or bringing my Switch to work to play on my lunch break has been a very big change for me in my gaming habits.
It'll depend largely on the performance for me. I'll pick it up on Switch as long as it's playable. OG was very much playable, but it got near unplayable at times, so if they made any improvements it's a buy on Switch.

I really liked how in Nocturne your Pixie can turn into a High Pixie! I would stay with Demons, but sometimes they aren't as good as the Fusions
And High Pixie would turn into Queen Mab eventually. There were a couple of demon evolutions in Nocturne. Fun idea but I get why the mechanic didn't stick around. It's because demi-kids was the Pokemon rip-off.

I wonder how that Switch-only demon transfer works ... there's got to be a restriction, right?

What else would stop me from taking my insanely up-powered Mother Harlot from the OG game and just stomp the entire game up to the endgame?

I wonder how that Switch-only demon transfer works ... there's got to be a restriction, right?

What else would stop me from taking my insanely up-powered Mother Harlot from the OG game and just stomp the entire game up to the endgame?
Maybe you’ll have to be the same level as them to use them?

Yeah from the new trailer it looks like a lot of new content...but not enough for full price.
To much of it seems like a twist on existing one instead of providing something really fresh.

Persona 3 did something similar to this with the FES release. You could carry over the protagonist's VN stats and the compendium, it's just that you wouldn't have the money to get your endgame planet-wrecking demons until, well, basically the start of the endgame. This should be similar, you'll have your three chosen demons but if you want to get to them you'll need to wait, grind for ages, or spend points on the "compendium cost down" miracle and then grind a bunch anyway.

If you couldn't, that'd be awful. My buffed Alice and Mermaid deserve the spotlight.

Hell yeah the daily demon videos were always great. Although aren't we only getting 40ish new demons? There's still 64 days until launch...
I don't think that they'll post these up to the launch date. Like the base game, I suspect they will post the last one one week before day one.
It's also likely that they will pad things out by highlighting the DLC demons from the base game (the Fiends, Artemis, Cleopatra and Mephisto) since they never got a daily demons video in 2021. Not saying they count as part of the 40-ish new demons, but they are part of the base game now so it makes sense to show them off.

If the final video is uploaded on June 7th, it would mean that we'll reach 57 videos, enough for the 12 DLC demons + 45 new demons, a generous but still fair interpretation of the "over 40 new demons" phrase.
Even then, I'm still not sure if they'll highlight the Qadištu, Mastema, and other plot-relevant demons before launch. Or if Dagda and Konohasakuya (the new DLC demons) will get one.

I don't think that they'll post these up to the launch date. Like the base game, I suspect they will post the last one one week before day one.
It's also likely that they will pad things out by highlighting the DLC demons from the base game (the Fiends, Artemis, Cleopatra and Mephisto) since they never got a daily demons video in 2021. Not saying they count as part of the 40-ish new demons, but they are part of the base game now so it makes sense to show them off.

If the final video is uploaded on June 7th, it would mean that we'll reach 57 videos, enough for the 12 DLC demons + 45 new demons, a generous but still fair interpretation of the "over 40 new demons" phrase.
Even then, I'm still not sure if they'll highlight the Qadištu, Mastema, and other plot-relevant demons before launch. Or if Dagda and Konohasakuya (the new DLC demons) will get one.
That makes a lot of sense - and yeah I kind of doubt they'll do the more spoiler-y ones. Although I don't recall how many of those were included in the original videos. I want to say they didn't.

I feel you there. Honestly, when it comes to turn based games, I generally prefer to play them on handhelds. I know it’d look so much better on my TV or monitor on beefy hardware but it just feels so much nicer to play in bed

They might not do spoilery videos since Vengeance seems to actually have a story unlike the base game.
Then I might have to actually buy it. Won’t lie, feeling a little salty with how the base game turned out with how much they’re doing for the re-release

A couple of things to note from Amabie's video:
-The beginning implies that the only way to get Enigma demons is through fusion accidents, which is not new for SMT. I imagine there will be some new miracles that make the process more manageable.
-The next one is Artemis, which confirms that the DLC demons from V Vanilla will be featured in these videos. Hopefully, they can keep the pace up so my prediction of 45 total new demons can also be proven true.

Back
Top Bottom