• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance announced for PC and consoles, coming June 14th (UPDATE: trailer #2, see threadmarks)

Edit: some people are also saying there is an upgrade path after all, but I can't find any mention of it?
It hasn't been explicitly confirmed, but the trailer description says that pre-orders for the physical/digital PS5 and Xbox versions will go live on February 27th alongside physical Switch pre-orders, with digital Switch pre-orders to be announced at a later date.

That the digital Switch version is being singled out for a later date is probably signaling that there is some sort of upgrade or discount for owners of the original version on Switch planned. Or at least I can't imagine why else that would be the case.

SMTV always had a great style and I didn't mind the Switch performance, but it's going to look really good on PC/PS5. Only problem is then I won't get the save data carryover, whatever all that entails. Hmm.
Being able to carry over a bunch of overpowered demons (if I'm reading that correctly?) seems like it'd ruin any challenge the game has so I'd almost rather just not do that lol.

Hello new evil team called Goddesses of Vengeance, allow me to introduce you to my insanely overpowere Mother Harlot.

If this game ends up being overlooked after two years of complaints about it being "confined" on the Switch I'll be extremely disappointed.

Please note that this isn't directed at you in particular, but more for the general gaming community.

I'll probably get both since it seems like I can probably beat Erdtree in 40 hours or less. That and someone I game share with on Xbox has expressed interest in the Vengeance, so its a cheaper get for me.

If they don't offer this as a DLC option for the original, I'm never buying an Atlus games first edition ever again. Do we know if that's happening yet or not?

It hasn't been explicitly confirmed, but the trailer description says that pre-orders for the physical/digital PS5 and Xbox versions will go live on February 27th alongside physical Switch pre-orders, with digital Switch pre-orders to be announced at a later date.

That the digital Switch version is being singled out for a later date is probably signaling that there is some sort of upgrade or discount for owners of the original version on Switch planned. Or at least I can't imagine why else that would be the case.
Yeah, I don't see why the digital pre-order for Switch would be announced separately for any other reason.

My guess would be a small discount for previous owners or something like that, since the saves don't appear to transfer.

Being able to carry over a bunch of overpowered demons (if I'm reading that correctly?) seems like it'd ruin any challenge the game has so I'd almost rather just not do that lol.

Yeah...I had to heavily nerf myself when I NG+ and carried over demons into the second story in my Devil Survivor 2: Record breaker playthrough.

Yeah, I don't see why the digital pre-order for Switch would be announced separately for any other reason.

My guess would be a small discount for previous owners or something like that, since the saves don't appear to transfer.

Maybe it's a situation similar to how sometimes replays (or something else) in Smash weren't compatible anymore after some patches?

Upgrade basically is the "full" new game patched above, rendering old saves incompatible.

Though ... if it was this, how would they be able to read the save files and let the players decide which demons to transfer?

But why would they mention the save file bonus and demon transfer bonus for Switch owners, but leave out whether or not you can upgrade vanilla version?

IMO, it would be more logical if they mentioned every benefit or nothing at all, not just mention part of it.

And the fact that physical preorder on Switch isn't delayed leaves me with more questions. Either it means physical owners don't get to upgrade, or this will cause people to double dip with the expectation that there is no upgrade.

Quoted by: Tab
Remember when people acted like this game wasn't even really made for the Switch and that it'd get a PS port
Then it took 4 years to come out and ended up being an expanded version anyways

Maybe it's a situation similar to how sometimes replays (or something else) in Smash weren't compatible anymore after some patches?

Upgrade basically is the "full" new game patched above, rendering old saves incompatible.

Though ... if it was this, how would they be able to read the save files and let the players decide which demons to transfer?
If I understand this correctly. All the new content is in the new route, while the old vanilla route is still there. Which makes me think this should be possible to be released as DLC. But I have no clue how game dev works.

Also, the Smash replay stuff was incompatible because the replays weren't video files, they were actually "replayed" again. If you could keep them after an update, the outcome of the replay would be completely different. If that makes sense... I don't know how to explain it better haha

But why would they mention the save file bonus and demon transfer bonus for Switch owners, but leave out whether or not you can upgrade vanilla version?

IMO, it would be more logical if they mentioned every benefit or nothing at all, not just mention part of it.

And the fact that physical preorder on Switch isn't delayed leaves me with more questions. Either it means physical owners don't get to upgrade, or this will cause people to double dip with the expectation that there is no upgrade.
What would physical preorders have to do with upgrading? Physical preorders are for an entirely new copy of the Vengeance version of the game, it has no bearing on being able to potentially upgrade your preexisting physical or digital copy through an add-on on the e-shop.

It can't be anything like that, Splatoon and Smash save "replays" by actually just saving the list of inputs each player did, which is why you can't use them any more after any balanced patch, the resulting inputs would no longer cause the same "replay" because things will turn out differently, and that's why they no longer let you play pre-patch replays in either game.

Sounds good. Hopefully owners of the original release get a discount for an "upgrade", but if not, I'll just wait for a price drop. SMTV was one of the very few ""big"" Switch games that almost always costed dirt cheap after a few month, doubt this is going to be the exception now that it's gone multipmatform.

What would physical preorders have to do with upgrading? Physical preorders are for an entirely new copy of the Vengeance version of the game, it has no bearing on being able to potentially upgrade your preexisting physical or digital copy through an add-on on the e-shop.
Because I can imagine that if they're not going to tell you can upgrade until after people have already preordered physical copies, that could be cause for people to misunderstand and buy an entire new copy without knowing they could have paid for an upgrade.

If nothing else I appreciate that the original storyline and setting are being maintained with the new content relegated to another route.

Certain other MegaTen re-releases (fucking Strange Journey Redux) would have been better off like that.

Ok, the extended PR is more clear:

At the beginning of the game, players will have to choose between two narrative paths: the story told in Shin Megami Tensei V, the Canon of Creation, or the new Canon of Vengeance. This dramatic revenge story introduces new characters, an enigmatic host of demons called Qadištu, new locations and a map to explore.

At the beginning of the game, players will have to choose between two narrative paths: the story told in Shin Megami Tensei V, the Canon of Creation, or the new Canon of Vengeance. This dramatic revenge story introduces new characters, an enigmatic host of demons called Qadištu, new locations and a map to explore.
What I would assume, based on this wording and what everything in the showcase said, is roughly:

The very beginning of the game is the same, but then early on you make a choice if you want to do the new story path. This starts everything off, but you'll still go to a lot of the same places and be similar to the original game for a while, you'll just have different story beats and some things that are shaken up. Later on in the game, things will diverge more and more and you'll go to a new map and things will eventually turn out to be quite different.

So, it's kind of halfway in-between Apocalypse (which also reused most locations, but was a completely new story) and a big new ending story DLC. Which I'm fine with - that's a pretty good way to do it, especially since it's launching on all platforms so there'll be tons of new players coming to it for the first time. And the original version of the story is in there, too, so if you want to play that without having to buy the original game on Switch you can.

I would have really appreciated a $20-$30 upgrade DLC.
I can't put another $60 down to play this. I'll wait to see if it comes on Gamepass.

pretty cool this is getting a Windows release too. maybe years down the line when I'm up for a replay of Canon of Creation I'll play on Xbox and/or Windows through Xbox Play Anywhere

I didn't caught this at first, they seem to have brought back playable humans, i've been wanting that for a while, wonder if they'll stick around the game of if it's a one time only thing.

It's a story event specific scenario. You can see they're called "guest"

I have given it some thought, and this new addition makes this extended re-release an instant GotY contender.

npkyrhb5ayjc1.jpeg

I like this a lot! Wanted to replay the game anyway, but imma wait for this!

Qadištu
That's an... interesting title for a group of demons to say the least. In the Levant, the Qadishtu were priestesses of the goddess Ishtar.

Makes you wonder if she'll have a greater role in this game, considering that in the base game she's iirc just a boss with no greater story significance (although I do recall Decarabia saying she's super powerful, you neutralize her strength before the fight).

So apparently the level cap is increased to 150 "under certain circumstances", which to me sounds like they're doing a IV style "True Ending" route for Vengeance that extends the game. Maybe that's where the new area comes in?

Also, is this the first time SMT has gone past 100? It'll be interesting to see how they distribute fusions then, are there going to be any new ones for 99+ or are we just going to be leveling the 90-100 bunch?

I wonder if the Demifiend quest is being cut out of Vengeance but being left intact in “vanilla”
Interesting question. We know the base game's DLC is being built into Vengeance, but does that include the new story paths? The showcase didn't clarify.

So apparently the level cap is increased to 150 "under certain circumstances", which to me sounds like they're doing a IV style "True Ending" route for Vengeance that extends the game. Maybe that's where the new area comes in?

Also, is this the first time SMT has gone past 100? It'll be interesting to see how they distribute fusions then, are there going to be any new ones for 99+ or are we just going to be leveling the 90-100 bunch?
They mentioned a new Da'at and a new bonus dungeon. My guess is that the new dungeon determines which ending you get in the Vengeance path, while the level cap increase is locked behind either a new Miracle that you get on NG+ or after a superboss.

I would hope there’d be new ones above 99 if that’s the case. The fun part of leveling is fusing new demons!

Guess I’m waiting for reviews/experiences of others to see if I want to play this.

What are the chances they fix the framerate on Switch?
If they're using newer UE versions, those include significant Switch specific optimizations. From the little snippet showed at JP Direct, framerate does seem to be a little more consistent this time. There's also chance they're using some form of image reconstruction to yield better image quality with more stable framerate.

If they're using newer UE versions, those include significant Switch specific optimizations. From the little snippet showed at JP Direct, framerate does seem to be a little more consistent this time. There's also chance they're using some form of image reconstruction to yield better image quality with more stable framerate.
I hope you are right because that sounds great but if Nintendo acknowledges the Switch 2 by the time the game releases then I will patiently wait and it also should be discounted

Man, watching the Direct made me think the leak was wrong and this was a full-on Apocalypse-style sequel/side story. But now it's clear they cherry picked the new stuff for that trailer and the leak was right. But now it seems like the new stuff is in a completely separate path? But probably the first half is the same? Still feel like I got burned as an early adopter. I'll wait till it's $30 on Black Friday.

Also **** Atlus for leaving Switch out for SH2 and P3R but then giving everyone else this.

I think it's most accurate to say that it's somewhere between Strange Journey Redux and IV Apocalypse. Strange Journey Redux's new content and associated endings were optional content incorporated into the original game, while Apocalypse was an entirely new game in an alternate timeline from IV. This is an alternate storyline that is chosen separately from the original, unlike Redux, but probably isn't quite as divergent as Apocalypse.

Back
Top Bottom