• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance announced for PC and consoles, coming June 14th (UPDATE: trailer #2, see threadmarks)

Ghostsonplanets

Ghost in the Sales
Pronouns
He/Him
atlustube_-_V_VengeancePV01_7X8UmNSghMg_-_1280x720_-_1m16s.png

Spotlight (In 20 minutes):

Release on June 21 2024 for PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S/Windows/Steam and Switch

Last edited:
I never beat the original release. I'll probably get this on PS5.

If it’s more like a SMT IV Apocalypse or even an alternative retelling with a lot of different content, I’m down to get it. I just don’t wanna replay it with 90% the same content and like 10% different content, like what was the case for P5R

Last edited:
Oh cool its coming to other platforms as well.

Dope, need to see performance on Switch before I decide where I’m going to double dip.

Shin Megami Tensei V returns… with a vengeance! 🔥🖤 Venture back into a post-apocalyptic Tokyo with an all-new storyline featuring new locations, demons, and choices to make in Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance.

Reads more like a definitive edition. Still getting it down the line to play without the constant stuttering and jittering that gave me a headache, just not for full price.

so....what's new?

Some changes to the main game, and a new scenario (think DLC) with new demons and new character(s).

I just wonder, they had almost three years, they better have some performances fixes for the Switch version.

Still not sure what it even is. Sounds like Strange Journey Redux where it’s a side story you can explore over time throughout your playthrough, with the new character joining you while you’re in those sections.

Interesting tidbit on the trailer description:
Physical and digital pre-orders for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 Steam, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC will begin on 2/27. Physical pre-orders for Nintendo Switch will also start on 2/27. Details on digital pre-orders for Nintendo Switch will be announced at a later date.

I wonder if that means we might actually be able to buy it as an upgrade.

Yeah, no.
If it's released on switch 2 maybe in 4 years for a steep discount, but I won't repay full price for a definitive edition if I have the base game.

For those that did not play it: overall 8/10 but one of the best/most interesting soundtracks of the last decade for me.

Glad it’s still coming to Switch. Definitely doesn’t explain why Reload isn’t on there. Also wish I could mute any performance complaints about the Switch version because god, those people are annoying.

Looks like it might be an "Apocalypse light" scenario.

The official site seems to mention you can pick two paths in the beginning:

• Original path -> base SMT V without any changes
  • "Vengeance" path -> big changes in the middle and end parts of the game with new stuff

Definitely in if there's an upgrade option. If not I'll wait for the PS5 version to go on sale.

Pleasantly surprised. Seems like Atlus reworked the main game more than usual. They moved some plot details around and changed entire scenes. If this fleshes out the story like everybody hopes it does, it’ll be a great time.

Gonna wait to hear about Switch performance and a potential upgrade path to see whether I double dip on Switch or pick it up on Steam.

The Good: a seeming bigger focus on Chaos and Neutral. In the base game both of those have painfully underwritten representatives, so more of that is good.

The Neutral: A lot of two-tone black and white in the demons this time. It's cool to see new demons rather than rehashing almost entirely old designs; the base game of V has almost no original demons besides Lahmu, Hydra and some of the final bosses. Similarly, a lot more humanoid demons were shown too; makes me wonder if we're gonna get more Nahobino fusion bosses.

The bad: No seeming overhauls to exploration were shown. SMT5s overworld loop is the main thing that needs rehauling, the combat is mostly fine.

The ???: I really wonder how that party member setup is going to work. SMT4s was notorious for being kinda goofy at times while 1/2 effectively just made them predefined demons. The new Nahobino skills look okay, still too early to see how they'll work. I also wonder if they'll redo the level rubberbanding of V, that game had some insane anti-"being low level" scaling.

Glad it’s still coming to Switch. Definitely doesn’t explain why Reload isn’t on there. Also wish I could mute any performance complaints about the Switch version because god, those people are annoying.

Look, i'm normally not a mean person ... ok i try not to be one, but this is one of the cases where i am one.

The crying over the performance of this game is downright annoying. The multiplatform release announcement has so much gleeful vitriol, that this alone makes me wish the game would've never come to other platforms.

I'm generally for every 3rd party game being multiplatform, ideally on day 1. On every platform.

This isn't a P5 Royal situation, where it's "cool, more people can play it now!" ... which is great.

The Good: a seeming bigger focus on Chaos and Neutral. In the base game both of those have painfully underwritten representatives, so more of that is good.

The Neutral: A lot of two-tone black and white in the demons this time. Similarly, a lot more humanoid demons were shown too; makes me wonder if we're gonna get more Nahobino fusion bosses.

The bad: No seeming overhauls to exploration were shown. SMT5s overworld loop is the main thing that needs rehauling, the combat is mostly fine.

The ???: I really wonder how that party member setup is going to work. SMT4s was notorious for being kinda goofy at times while 1/2 effectively just made them predefined demons. The new Nahobino skills look okay, still too early to see how they'll work. I also wonder if they'll redo the level rubberbanding of V, that game had some insane anti-"being low level" scaling.
I hope they change this too. I played on hard and mostly tried to keep my levels balanced to keep the challenge level up but man there was an enormous difference between being underleveled, the same level or above the level of certain bosses. You could really feel that scaling kick in.

Still not clear what it is exactly, but I think if it was a sequel like Apocalypse, they would have made sure to communicate that.

I might get it one the Switch 2 if the new content is meaty enough and the performance and resolution are fixed.

I hope they change this too. I played on hard and mostly tried to keep my levels balanced to keep the challenge level up but man there was an enormous difference between being underleveled, the same level or above the level of certain bosses. You could really feel that scaling kick in.

Level difference shenanigans in a game where even overleveled doesn't protect you from being fucked by RNG even in normal "random" battles always sucks.

Well,. it seems interesting enough for an Atlus re-release. The fact that the new route can be chosen from the beginning is interesting.
Also, the returning demons are very cool. First time Cherub e Pellaidh got a 3d model, and Gogmagog returning is cool since he is one of my favorite demons.

Probably not picking it up at launch, but I'll definitely pick it up when it's 20€ on Steam or something (especially since this year I've got to work on my backlog)

The crying over the performance of this game is downright annoying. The multiplatform release announcement has so much gleeful vitriol, that this alone makes me wish the game would've never come to other platforms.
One part of the reason why it's so omnipresent is that Atlus iirc downclocked base SMTV after the review embargo dropped.

Compare playing 1.0 compared to whatever the latest is - you'll see a very notable unconfigurable graphical hit (specifically in model quality) that IMO almost borders on false advertising given how the graphical quality was mentioned very often when talking about the game in reviews. The Nahobino looks a lot more low-res in various menus for example.

Alledgedly it was to fix complaints about framerate but as someone who played 1.0; I didn't spot any noticable issues.

I'm gonna get it on switch just because it's what I use most but I'm so excited to see it available on other platforms, too!! Super hyped for this game.

Yeah, I'm not buying this on Switch unless there is an upgrade option. I'll probably get it for Steam Deck.

There might be one.

Physical preorders on all platforms start ... tomorrow or on the 27th ... i forgot.
Digital preorders start the same day, but only Steam, PS and Xbox.

Switch digital preorders "will be detailed at a later date".

That's pretty hinting for a digital upgrade, i'd say.

So hyped for this! I'll definitely get it at day1.
My only question is: should I play the original route before the new one?

I know people are annoyed about the performance whining but I have an OG Red Box Switch and genuinely ... the game struggles badly in some places. I'm replaying to 100% my Compendium before Vengeance and in most parts of the 4th area and final dungeon I literally find myself putting my Switch down and waiting 10+ seconds for each battle. I've got some weird visual bugs in the final dungeon where Nahobino looks like he's being held hostage by enemies (some kind of frozen model/load issue). You can hear the audio queueing up before the menu and Analysis screen loads in. Even saving can be laggy.

Is the game pushing the hardware to its limits? Yes, and it largely succeeds. But let's not pretend that there aren't people who owned SMTV and are going to buy SMTV2 for another platform due to performance reasons.

Me, I'm 100% suckered by the save file bonuses and will likely buy it on Switch again.

As someone who bought all of Atlus' definitive 3DS titles (Devil Survivor Overclocked, Strange Journey Redux, etc.) I'm a sucker and will get this.

That being said I am so glad we have this little niche of a forum cause I can only imagine the shit people are piling on the Switch now that this is on more platforms. Fortunately now I can convince my cousin to give this a go (he's a big Xbox fan and enjoyed P5R recently).

There might be one.

Physical preorders on all platforms start ... tomorrow or on the 27th ... i forgot.

I hope so! I hope the upgrade is for both physical and digital owners.

For those type of DLCs, if past SMT DLCs are of any indication, roughly how many hours can we expect?

I've played SMTV to near completion - am in endgame or approaching endgame content, curious if DLC is going to be worth it

For those type of DLCs, if past SMT DLCs are of any indication, roughly how many hours can we expect?

I've played SMTV to near completion - am in endgame or approaching endgame content, curious if DLC is going to be worth it

The DLC itself is not really a huge time add (Demi-Fiend being the exception, but the old DLC is going to be part of the base game), but the demons tend to be good. Cleopatra in SMTV1 is just a game breaker and the rest are no slouch.

The grind DLC is where most of the value is (IMO) and will be a time saver, not a time adder.

Weeeeell Atlus might rethink that launch date.

Shadow of the Erdtree was just announced for ... June 21st.

Huge props for them to acknowledging the original game was a bit of a mess.

I'm very hyped for this, watching the subtitled livestream, their heart seems to be in the right place.

English Spotlight

I'M HYPE

I was not going to buy this since I though it was just going to be a few changes in the story and a new dungeon addition and QOL stuff, but after seeing this spotlight it seems the alternative route is chosen right at the beginning and it appears to change significantly the storyline with a hole bunch of new characters. I will wait to see more info coming in the next couple weeks but it appears I'm going to be sucked in again

I might buy this, honestly. I’ve only played SMTV once, stayed at the endgame area, so guess this could push me to try and finish it

There might be one.

Also, from what I've heard you get a choice on whether you want to do the base SMTV story or the new content from the beginning. If that is true then I'd imagine it would be easier to implement this as an expansion for the base game.
Since now that Atlus is totally multi, I am just waiting for them to launch Catherine at my local eShop.
Catherine is already on the Switch.

I suppose since it seems like to choose Vengeance from the start would make it a natural DLC addition (as existing same games would just be on the Base mode). It might actually happen!

Back
Top Bottom