• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Shin Megami Tensei V - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Are you hyped??

• Yes

Votes: 167 74.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • The option that'll lead to me failing this negotiation after spending half my Macca and 5 Life Stone

Votes: 47 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't look like it's open world. Those "alternate Tokyo" could be segments of a dungeon. Feels like an open world but probably is a one giant labyrinth, with doors and gateways guarded by boss battles.

We've already seen multiple different areas that look semi-open and a good one is the desert areas where they showed off quite a few explorable areas. They also showed off a little dungeon in the recent trailer.

We've already seen multiple different areas that look semi-open and a good one is the desert areas where they showed off quite a few explorable areas. They also showed off a little dungeon in the recent trailer.
Yeah, "semi-open" means "segmented world", basically. Kinda similar to Borderlands, which is not a true open world. Though I expect the segments in SMT5 smaller than Borderlands.

Yeah, "semi-open" means "segmented world", basically. Kinda similar to Borderlands, which is not a true open world. Though I expect the segments in SMT5 smaller than Borderlands.

Yup I'm expecting the same as well.

But will we be able to turn off encounters?

I have terrible flashbacks to trying to find my way through the underground city in SMTIV and running into demons every few steps in some areas. It was terrible.
This is difficult to answer without having played the game but the short answer is no. Usually there's a demon with the skill Estoma or an item that will temporarily skip battles. In SMTIV there's the skill Estoma Sword which skips battles if you attack the demons first, and in Strange Journey you could purchase an upgrade to skip weak encounters. However there has never been a menu option to do this and I doubt SMTV will be any different.

If the "Easy" mode in SMTV is like Merciless in SMTIII HD though, you have nothing to worry. It makes the regular encounters very easy.

I think we're still getting "pin on a map" style world map, if you guys count that as open world

Getting increasingly hyped. Excited to see if we get anything as amazing as this map theme from SMT4.

I know it's not the biggest spoiler, but I think reaching the bottom of Naraku, realising you're in the Sky Tower, seeing Tokyo for the first time and hearing this play is an amazing moment where the game suddenly takes a real turn and begins to open up.

I'm still so impressed how GOOD it looks. I still really enjoyed SMTIV, but with it being on 3DS, there's only so much you can do on it. V looks fantastic though; super stoked to play it November! Just gotta find time to balance Pokemon and Endwalker lol.

I can’t wait to have this game in my hands! I’m gonna put it right next to SMT4 and SMT4A on my shelf.

If the "Easy" mode in SMTV is like Merciless in SMTIII HD though, you have nothing to worry. It makes the regular encounters very easy.
Will admit I'll try it on "easy" mode myself. If it is too easy, I'd change it of course.

I'm always nervous of being locked in law or order path, neutral for life.
I got stuck in law path in SMT4 somehow. Which, on the one and, sweet angel demons! Metatron is a beastly team member!

... but on the other hand... uhhh... it's law path :(

I'm always nervous of being locked in law or order path, neutral for life.
Well this time you'll have the option of being locked down multiple different Law paths (maybe. At least, that's what it kinda seems like)

Do we think we'll get previews this coming week? It seems pretty likely we get them at some point, but who knows when

I got stuck in law path in SMT4 somehow. Which, on the one and, sweet angel demons! Metatron is a beastly team member!

... but on the other hand... uhhh... it's law path :(

In fairness, it‘s notoriously hard to get the neutral route naturally.

In fairness, it‘s notoriously hard to get the neutral route naturally.
I got it first time around, but if I remember correctly there’s an NPC just before the route lock you can use to shift your alignment considerably (she asks if you’re human or a demon and each answer awards a ton of law or chaos points respectively).

Quoted by: Cat
Do we think we'll get previews this coming week? It seems pretty likely we get them at some point, but who knows when
I feel like next week might make more sense for previews, since we'll be two weeks out then, but this week is possible.

Like you said, it's hard to tell

I tend to choose at my first run Law endings because they are crazy, but IV Law ending was too much for me lmao

I got it first time around, but if I remember correctly there’s an NPC just before the route lock you can use to shift your alignment considerably (she asks if you’re human or a demon and each answer awards a ton of law or chaos points respectively).

Yeah, there’s a few big swings, but the threshold for Law/Chaos doesn’t leave a lot of experimentation either way. I’m not surprised many (me included!) have to use a guide to guarantee they unlock it.

Yeah, there’s a few big swings, but the threshold for Law/Chaos doesn’t leave a lot of experimentation either way. I’m not surprised many (me included!) have to use a guide to guarantee they unlock it.
Which is a shame as it has a lot more content that the other routes I think? I actually still haven’t done Law in that game!

Quoted by: Cat
Which is a shame as it has a lot more content that the other routes I think? I actually still haven’t done Law in that game!

Neutral almost always works out as my favourite/preferred route in these games. I view it as my ideal.

Chaos is natural and makes sense for how we function as a society.

Law is for psychopaths…

I will accept no other answers!

Last edited:
Neutral almost always works out as my favourite/preferred routes in these games. I always view it as my ideal.

Chaos is natural and makes sense for how we function as a society.

Law is for psychopaths…

I will accept no other answers!
I'm not a big fan of chaos either. Both it and law have some pretty glaring issues IMO, since they're so extreme in one direction. The neutral path is the only one that makes much sense to me (even though I never get it, lol)

Can't wait to hear a new rendition of the Law Theme. It's objectively the best route theme in the entire series

The law theme is indeed great. Related: If it weren't for the main boss theme in SMT4 being so damn fantastic, the archangel boss music would be my favorite boss battle theme in the game:

EDIT: I just realized this is based on the Law theme from SMT2, but hey, that one's good too!

Last edited:
Well, all my hype has just drained out of me - lost the card my Ltd edition was preordered with, and the wonderful folks at NINTENDO UK have basically told me that they won't let me change the payment method to my new card (same for the metroid amibo) so looks like I'm not getting the premium edition or my metroid amibo 😔

Well, all my hype has just drained out of me - lost the card my Ltd edition was preordered with, and the wonderful folks at NINTENDO UK have basically told me that they won't let me change the payment method to my new card (same for the metroid amibo) so looks like I'm not getting the premium edition or my metroid amibo 😔
I feel you...
I had the same thing happen to me with my premium edition and my Metroid Dread Special Edition. Had to settle for the standard one for Metroid and will likely do the same for SMT

Goddamn, sorry this happened :(

Extremely looking forward to this! This is what initially got me excited for the Switch, and I've been wondering about it since I finished SMTIV...eight years ago? Outside of the official trailers I am basically going in dark. Can't wait! Fill up my winter.

I’ve been thinking about squeezing in SMTIV:A before V comes out. I’m worried about burnout tho.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Ehh have you played IV already right? Personally I think Apocalypse would give you a small taste of V (and see how certain small details improved the battles a lot) but I feel I would burn out trying to finish it in a month, but you can try the game for some hours I guess.

I’ve been thinking about squeezing in SMTIV:A before V comes out. I’m worried about burnout tho.

Good idea? Bad idea?
I played SMT IV last month, I could finish it with neutral and completed all challenge quests. It was great, but increased my will to play SMT V. Right now I'm taking a break but I would like to play Apocalypse soon, but I'm scared of burning out too.

I would suggest you to wait till SMT V, otherwise you may have SMT overdose and feel lazy to play SMT V.

I'm really hyped for this game.
First SMT game I will get on release.

I really liked TMS#FE but I want a more challenging dungeon crawler/RPG, will I be happy with this game?

Since I'm doing the OT for SMT V I wanted to get some answers from fans of the series on why you enjoy SMT in general.

So if possible could you guys tell me what you like about SMT even if you just played one game in the series. Could you also tell me who you would recommend this game to and why they should try SMT? I just wanted to add this stuff in the OT just so people new to the series could see it.

I might also give a little quick history on the SMT series in the OT as well just to show what kind of legacy it has. It might surprise people how old this franchise really is.

I'm really hyped for this game.
First SMT game I will get on release.

I really liked TMS#FE but I want a more challenging dungeon crawler/RPG, will I be happy with this game?

If you played any turn base Jrpg you should be good with SMT V. Plus since you really liked TMS I think you would enjoy SMT V since it will have dungeons and RPG elements. Also, the battle system should be similar as well so you should be good on that front.

Since I'm doing the OT for SMT V I wanted to get some answers from fans of the series on why you enjoy SMT in general.

So if possible could you guys tell me what you like about SMT even if you just played one game in the series. Could you also tell me who you would recommend this game to and why they should try SMT? I just wanted to add this stuff in the OT just so people new to the series could see it.

I've played Nocturne, IV, and IVA. The things I like most about SMT are its engaging combat (press-turn, particularly Apocalypse's version of it, is my favorite turn-based battle system of any RPG), excellent atmosphere (Whether its wastelands, urban sprawl, or ethereal dungeons, the games do a great job at establishing their tone through their presentation), unique and inspired sound design / music (Between Nocturne's rock tunes and IV/IVA's synth-based, modernized-retro soundtracks, there's no mistaking SMT music), challenging but fair difficulty curve (It, more than most jrpg series, really forces its players to engage with its mechanics; if you don't exploit press turn your enemies will) and abstracted narrative / themes (SMT stories and lore are more so idea driven than character driven, which can lead to its characters feeling under-developped, but also allows for a unique focus on philosophy and ideas that no other jrpg series really goes for). The gameplay loop of recruiting and fusing progressively stronger demons is also quite addicting.

Its hard to say who to reccomend SMTV to since I obviously haven't played the game. Furthermore, there's been quite a bit of variation between mainline SMT games (I like Nocturne and IV/IVA for very different reasons and would reccomend them to different people). However, I'd say I would recommend this to those who either really enjoy the ancillary aspects of jrpg design (atmosphere, combat, dungeon crawling) or are seeking a jrpg that will engage in a way that they are not used to (namely by encouraging you to think about your beliefs/life philosophy). While the series has changed quite a bit since the NES/SNES days, it has maintained its tendency to eschew common conventions within the genre, particularly in its storytelling. Ultimately, I think people should try SMT because there really isn't any other jrpg series like it. From its worldbuilding and storytelling, to its music, to its character designs, to its gameplay, there isn't another series out there like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom