• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Shin Megami Tensei V - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Are you hyped??

• Yes

Votes: 167 74.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • The option that'll lead to me failing this negotiation after spending half my Macca and 5 Life Stone

Votes: 47 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Persona 5 before it this will be my first entry into SMT and I’m excited to give it a try after how much I enjoyed P5

Haven't kept up with any of the trailers at all. Not because I'm super intent on staying spoiler-free, just haven't gotten around to 'em.

Preordered to fancy pants edition with all the tchotchkes, so I'm looking forward to that next month.

I was on the EU eshop earlier and noticed SMT V was finally open for pre-order AND it is included with the Switch Online game vouchers which is great. I had one remaining and was sort of hesitant to spend it on Pokemon Legends. But I know I want SMTV so I'm thrilled to see it included.

Yea surprised that SMT V is included with the voucher program. I legit thought it wasn't.

Is it just for the EU since that's where Nintendo is publishing the game?

gCPqwb.gif

Animations on point.

This will be my first SMT and Im so hyped for it. As a newcomer everything looks so good, and the vibe feels very unique (ever since the first teaser in 2017, which caught my attention). I know Im going to enjoy this one a lot.

This will be my first SMT and Im so hyped for it. As a newcomer everything looks so good, and the vibe feels very unique (ever since the first teaser in 2017, which caught my attention). I know Im going to enjoy this one a lot.
Yup if there's one thing I'll say about SMT in general it's that it's incredibly unique when it comes to Jrpg games. There's nothing really like it in terms of atmosphere, world, and music imo.

Sarasvati

Sukuna Hikona next

Also our first time seeing Okuninushi

Super hyped as always to the point I'm making an SMT story for Nanowriimo. Can't wait to just explore the most.

Notice the huge ass huang long in the background there. It's cool.

Also it's hilarious that Black Frosts quest is asking you to to take out dionysus since he's competition for his liquor business lol

I am going to pick this game up for sure. I've played a tad bit of SMT IV, but never got far in it. I ended up just watching someone play it online

Got the Expensive special edition on Amazon pre-ordered. But I change states during the time it happen.

Do y’all think if I change my shipping address, I’ll still get it?

I missed my chance to preorder and I feel bad I only got the steel case... ;_;

Damn, I am hyped for SMTV. I cannot believe I'll play Metroid, NMH3 and SMTV in the same year. Thanks gaming gods!
To be perfectly honest, I ordered from a Canadian site and I'm in the US so I'm a little concerned about getting it on time (or at all) but hopefully there's no issue.

I'm kind of avoiding all the videos now. Just a month to go before I find out if this unseats Metroid Dread as my GOTY.

Got the Expensive special edition on Amazon pre-ordered. But I change states during the time it happen.

No, it should not. I live in Costa Rica and usually change addresses when ordering from Amazon US with no problem. Try having the amazon people do it for you if you need reassurance.

To be perfectly honest, I ordered from a Canadian site and I'm in the US so I'm a little concerned about getting it on time (or at all) but hopefully there's no issue.

I'm kind of avoiding all the videos now. Just a month to go before I find out if this unseats Metroid Dread as my GOTY.
I remember buying front mission from a canadian store and have it sent the us then to have it send again to my country. Ididnt really took at that long to get here.

No, it should not. I live in Costa Rica and usually change addresses when ordering from Amazon US with no problem. Try having the amazon people do it for you if you need reassurance.

I remember buying front mission from a canadian store and have it sent the us then to have it send again to my country. Ididnt really took at that long to get here.
That's good to know, I'm not super concerned, just never ordered from this place before (although I did recently have a package not get delivered to me so maybe I should be more concerned, haha).

It just occurred to me that we are now less than five weeks out. Very close to a month. It's kind of crept up on me, I could swear last time I thought about it in actual calendar terms it was still August, lol. The hype is definitely starting to ramp up now

Is it me or does the game look a lot better visually?

I swear that one scene that was shown in the E3 trailer with Jatayu chasing you looks better here.
I think the UI elements are sharper. They are noticeably higher-res than the in-engine graphics. Speaking of which, they are seem to be rendering at times below 720p. I think this will be an interesting case study for DF.

Does anyone know if the game has a speed up button/a way to shorten animations? Some of the animations I've seen are amazing but seem a bit on the long side, I really liked how snappy and fast the combat is in SMT4/SMT4A. Maybe it's not a big issue if it's limited to only a few moves though.

Does anyone know if the game has a speed up button/a way to shorten animations? Some of the animations I've seen are amazing but seem a bit on the long side, I really liked how snappy and fast the combat is in SMT4/SMT4A. Maybe it's not a big issue if it's limited to only a few moves though.

Yea you can shorten animations in the full game.

I'd change your shipping address before it ships if you can.

And also, I forgot why I stopped with IV. I just think I either found it too hard or so.

Never played a smt game before but im mega hyped! Will for sure play through it on the oled 👀 visiting my gf in mallorca spai next month so dunno how much i can play but ill for sure squeeze some time in in november.

Never played a smt game before but im mega hyped! Will for sure play through it on the oled 👀 visiting my gf in mallorca spai next month so dunno how much i can play but ill for sure squeeze some time in in november.
Dude! I'm mallorquin (sorry for the offtopic). Its near impossible to find the Premium Edition in Spain, and Media Markt sold it for 70 € for some reason.

Dude! I'm mallorquin (sorry for the offtopic). Its near impossible to find the Premium Edition in Spain, and Media Markt sold it for 70 € for some reason.
Media Markt raises prices here aswell in the Netherlands for example the Samus Emmi Amiibo is 60 euro while its 40 euro elsewhere. They also do it on purpose i think because they always seem to have stock left whenever its sold out everywhere else and price hike any wanted item and have crazy ps5 bundles.

Also sorry for the off topic rn hehe

Last edited:
i really wish they had a lower tier special edition. I really want the demon hand book but could care less about the sling bag. Part of me says I should cancel the pre order cause it’s 120 bucks but I also know I’m going to end up keeping it because I have no sense or reason.

I started playing SMT 3 to prepare for this, so picked up the remaster for Switch. I like some of the improvements they did, but they forgot a vital one that I cannot wrap my head around. So in SMT games after 3, you could press a button in battle to see your party and enemy and what buffs and debuffs you have, their stacks, and if you manage to figure it out or a demon you’ve fought before and unlocked, demon weakness. This game doesn’t have an overview screen, which is so bizarre they forgot to do this for the remaster.

i really wish they had a lower tier special edition. I really want the demon hand book but could care less about the sling bag. Part of me says I should cancel the pre order cause it’s 120 bucks but I also know I’m going to end up keeping it because I have no sense or reason.

I started playing SMT 3 to prepare for this, so picked up the remaster for Switch. I like some of the improvements they did, but they forgot a vital one that I cannot wrap my head around. So in SMT games after 3, you could press a button in battle to see your party and enemy and what buffs and debuffs you have, their stacks, and if you manage to figure it out or a demon you’ve fought before and unlocked, demon weakness. This game doesn’t have an overview screen, which is so bizarre they forgot to do this for the remaster.
While the Nocturne remaster has some Qol updates it's definitely not the greatest remaster out there. In fact, it's a poor remaster that was too expensive. It's one thing if they added a lot of great changes, but they really didn't.

Even tho I enjoyed the game a lot the remaster was disappointing considering it's a cult classic.

So I've been trying to finish Soul Hackers for the good part of the last three months to check that box before SMTV, but I really really can't get into that game :(

It has nothing to do with the retro presentation or mechanics, they're actually a highlight for me. The problem is the changes to the demon system, they way they made it so demons can't level up and how the skill inheritance is always fixed kinda ruined the aspect I love the most about SMT games which is the party customization.

I've been forcing myself to play it because I've owned the damn thing since 2013 and I have this bad habit of keeping playing games I don't like for completion sake (specially when they're part of series I love), but I'm considering if I should just drop it and sell it. At least it will net me some good bucks, I got the limited edition with the CD, and it has a ridiculously small print. I wish it was easier for me to drop games.

I’ve only ever played Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 on the PS2 way back when. Very stylish games, but admittedly I didn’t love my time with them. This looks really, really good though, so I’m going to give it a shot.

I would kill for an animated trailer for SMT V like the one Strange Journey Redux got. This animated trailer looks fantastic and I'm in the belief that SMT would make for a great anime if done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom