• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Shin Megami Tensei V - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Are you hyped??

• Yes

Votes: 167 74.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • The option that'll lead to me failing this negotiation after spending half my Macca and 5 Life Stone

Votes: 47 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont be happy with the visualy, i already know. but i would be even less happy if i would not have the option to grind while in bed or While watching something on the big screen, so i take the loss for portability with jrpgs.
Yeah, portability makes a big difference for me for games like this. Way more than whatever a more powerful system would

Honestly looking at the era emulation thread you would think this game is literally unplayable without a PC, people are out here literally calling it a slideshow lmao. Its so obvious how many people on that site wish switch exclusive games didn't exist despite wanting to play them lmao(and probably a good chunk of them pirating the game despite moral grandstanding about emulation)

Just became aware that SMTV runs like shit and is, therefore, unplayable. Another scam debunked, I thought the game looked incredible, silly me.

Thanks for showing us the truth again, gamers!

Honestly looking at the era emulation thread you would think this game is literally unplayable without a PC, people are out here literally calling it a slideshow lmao. Its so obvious how many people on that site wish switch exclusive games didn't exist despite wanting to play them lmao(and probably a good chunk of them pirating the game despite moral grandstanding about emulation)
I mean, ue4 games really dont work that great with higher resolutions on switch, i think all of them are sub native.
and there is a chance that this is coming to pc.
the switch seemed like a true hybrid when it came out, but now comparing it with pc or console games makes it truly feel like a handheld with a video out, when games even docked cant go much higher then 720p.
im happy fort this game, ri really want to play it… but i also really dont expect it to look great on a 4k 27 inch monitor.
but yeah, i feel like some on era are trying to argue that way so that the piracy is more „reasonable“, since nintendo is not giving them what they want. (As frustrating the lack of a mid gen refresh for resolution and framerate bump is)

Honestly it feels like some people on Era call something a slideshow whenever it drops like a single frame somewhere.

I'm kinda concerned that they've never actually seen a slideshow before, either that or they really rush through their presentations

Honestly it feels like some people on Era call something a slideshow whenever it drops like a single frame somewhere.

I'm kinda concerned that they've never actually seen a slideshow before, either that or they really rush through their presentations
I'm trying to imagine a 25-30 fps slideshow now and someone struggling to talk about the slides in a timely manner now and laughing lmao

Questiom for those who are good at fusion, so in smt V if i have a demon that i want to keep till end game, how do I keep them viable? Do i just fuse for them again with higher demons to recreate them? I will get attached to some of them and want to keep some in my party

Questiom for those who are good at fusion, so in smt V if i have a demon that i want to keep till end game, how do I keep them viable? Do i just fuse for them again with higher demons to recreate them? I will get attached to some of them and want to keep some in my party
The strat here is usually either reverse fusion into them, so going backwards from a high level demon + a low level demon till you end up back at your favorite, or grinding for stat boost items and such. It's pretty difficult to keep a low level truly viable without significant investment of time.

I don't get the performance complaints. To my eye it seems to be same ballpark as Bloodborne which is also exclusive and clearly was made for underpowered underwhelming hardware.
There's a reason Bloodborne is probably the #1 most mentioned game for a rerelease/patch/remaster/remake/PC port on like every gaming forum, twitter or reddit. It runs like ass. Oops double post.

The strat here is usually either reverse fusion into them, so going backwards from a high level demon + a low level demon till you end up back at your favorite, or grinding for stat boost items and such. It's pretty difficult to keep a low level truly viable without significant investment of time.
Damn really, i wanted to make sure Anahita would stay in my party oncd I got her :/ how do you do reverse fusion exactly, is there a guide? Also do you think V will make this easy with passing skills over now?

Fusion doesn't work like that. You can only create a demons within a certain level range.

Say you want to fuse Jack Frost, you will need to fuse two demons with types that combined will give you a fairy demon (Jack Frost's type) and whose level average is between 7-10 (Jack Frost's level in Nocturne, varies from game to game).

You can level up your demons, but they will stop learning new skills at some point so most of them won't really be viable for very long. There are usually some higher levels demons that you can get by midgame with excellent skill sets that will be viable for a long time or even end game if you play them right, though.

But in general, you shouldn't get too attached to a specif demon, just keep fusing to get more powerful and customize your skillet with cool new stuff. There are lots of cool demons, you will end up having lots of favorites and will forget about the previous ones quickly lol

Last edited:
Fusion doesn't work like that. You can only create a demons within a certain level range.

Say you want to fuse Jack Frost, you will need to fuse two demons with types that combined will give you a fairy demon (Jack Frost's type) and whose level average is between 7-10 (Jack Frost's level in Nocturne, varies from game to game).

You can level up your demons, but they will stop learning new skills at some point so most of them won't really be viable for very long. There are usually some higher levels demons that you can game by midgame with excellent skill sets that will be viable for a long time or even end game if you play them right, though.

But in general, you shouldn't get too attached to a specif demon, just keep fusing to get more powerful and customize your skillet with cool new stuff. There are lots of cool demons, you will end up having lots of favorites and will forget about the previous ones quickly lol
What about the dlc demons or ones you get from quests?

Quoted by: Leo
You can keep a demon for as long as you want but they'll be killed in one turn eventually unless you grind them to max level using the pay-to-win DLC. It's a waste of a slot.

What about the dlc demons or ones you get from quests?

I can't be sure because I haven't played the game and this varies from entry to entry, but the DLC demons seem to be high level, so you could potentially use them on endgame, yes. One of the demons in the Demi-fiend DLC is Daisoujou, which is generally known as one of the best demons in SMT3. I rocked it until the final boss.

Demons from quests should have strong skills for that point in the game, that you can pass on when you fuse them.

Also, there is this feature called the compendium. It's like a record of all the demons you have owned, and you can pay money to get that demon again as it is registered, without the need of fusing anything. You can freely update the register for any demon too (for example, if you caught a demon it will register exactly as it was when you caught it, but if you level it up and it learns new skills, you can update the register so it will be always available with those improved stats).

Last edited:

Yup I saw that post where someone mentioned slideshow and I knew then they were full of bs lol.

I might actually end up getting my copy early? Got the shipment notification two days earlier than usual. Would be a first for me.

Possible that all are getting it before me? I want to, i want to. The locar store should break the street date tomorrow evening =D

The store that breaks street dates told me to call on Thursday, so we'll see. Don't mind waiting for Friday, it's almost here.

I'm not sure how the stat growth works for lower level demons but you can get around the lack of new skills at least by using the Essence system

You'd still probably end up with lower stats and affinities across the board but if you really wanted to keep a demon around it shouldn't be as time consuming as it used to be. Though with how difficult the game seems to be according to reviews it probably won't be terribly useful still.

It's plenty possible to make low level demons strong in most SMT games if you know what you're doing, I'd be surprised if it wasn't in 5. Stat boosters, backwards fusing into them for inheritance and then releveling, etc could all be things. I wouldn't do it on your first playthrough though, that'd end up being frustrating.

I'm not sure how the stat growth works for lower level demons but you can get around the lack of new skills at least by using the Essence system

You'd still probably end up with lower stats and affinities across the board but if you really wanted to keep a demon around it shouldn't be as time consuming as it used to be. Though with how difficult the game seems to be according to reviews it probably won't be terribly useful still.
Gotcha my waifu demon party looking like not a dream no more lol

In that one video the game virtually never maintains 30 FPS, oh dear. I can't stand consistent stuttering. At least it looks very pretty. 😥

Seems like Patch is gonna enable DLC and improve performance.

For the people who think it's a slideshow.
That would be good. At least give us stable-ish 30 FPS. That said, I can't seem to find confirmation for this anywhere. Can you let us know the source?

It seems that my preload version snuck in a small update to 1.0.1, but didn't appear large enough to be anything of substance. Either way, I'm fine with signs of life as we approach the launch.

Gamestop has assured me that my copy will still ship on the 12th, so I'm gonna be a bit late to the party, but fingers crossed!

Framerate discussions always make me happy that, due to my childhood of playing N64 games, I am completely immune to framerate issues. Game is only 30 fps? That's usually an improvement over what I'm used to! Drops frames sometimes? Fine by me! Call me when it drops to sub-15 frames while trying to do platforming challenges, like in the lava world in Banjo-Tooie

I’m gonna be honest about Framerate.

I thought when a game slowed down. I thought it was a intended effect like slow motion in films.

Im mean, im Blasting zombies in Resident Evil and so many are on screen that I thought it was suppose to be slow motion for dramatic effect 😐

What are y'all gonna name your Nahobino?

I always name my characters "Leo" (duh), but I'm thinking about going with a Japanese name this time. It bothers me when I play SMT that my name stands out against the japanese characters. Might go with "Shiyuu Ren" which is
still an adaptation of my name to japanese.
For reasons that I don't even entirely understand myself, I always name myself Vincent in RPGs, despite that not being my name. In Persona 5 I was Vincent Raines, that's been my name a lot in various games, and I don't even remember why I started using it, or where I got it from

There's apparently a day 1 patch that fixed the technical issues (at least in docked mode)

I’m gonna be honest about Framerate.

I thought when a game slowed down. I thought it was a intended effect like slow motion in films.

Im mean, im Blasting zombies in Resident Evil and so many are on screen that I thought it was suppose to be slow motion for dramatic effect 😐
That's actually hilarious! My young brain didn't even notice, but eventually the forum posters got to me and gave me framerate complainer brain.

What I would give for just a single day without discussions about framerates and resolutions.
I understand that those are important for the medium since it is "video games" we're talking about, but the hyperbole that accompanies even the slightest hiccup in either is eye-roll inducing. I took a glance at that thread mentioned here and it's full of comments that this game is "unplayable", "headache-inducing", "runs like ass", and constant moaning about it being Switch exclusive when I have no doubt these same people would probably light a fire under someone else's butt if they even mentioned wanting a Switch port of P5R or something similar.
The old place’s poisonous atmosphere is seeping through here. Please please please don’t.
Seriously, this community created its own board to escape all that bs, I'd rather all the hyperbolic sentiments kept on that side of the fence.

My previous post about preformance was purely /s if it wasn't clear lol don't know if that's what youre talking about.

Glad to see there's a patch anyway. Wonder if the review copies were already patched, since none of the reviews mentioned performance issues?

I always name my characters "Leo" (duh), but I'm thinking about going with a Japanese name this time. It bothers me when I play SMT that my name stands out against the japanese characters. Might go with "Shiyuu Ren" which is
I always try to use whatever is supposed to be the canon name, if there is not one any name the devs may have alluded to, something that showed up on dev diaries or collector edition books, anything like this. In conclusion, as of now I have no idea what will be the name.

I’m gonna name him Kain.

It’s usually my default name for everything that doesn’t have a canon name.

I'll probably use my real name. I usually use my real name for a first playthrough and the "Canon" name in future ones

Except in Persona Q where I wanted to use their canon names but neither one fit the character limit!

I'm honestly not sure. In the Persona games I usually went with canon names (or close to it; in P5 I used the manga name and in P5R I used one of the stage play names). In SMT3 I went with one of the P3 protagonist names, and in SMT4 I went with the standard "Kilgore Wolfe" I use for most games, since the main characters have western names.

Hmm, maybe I'll grab one of Joker's other stage play names.

The old place’s poisonous atmosphere is seeping through here. Please please please don’t.

You are right. It' just frustrating how suddenly Switch is "unplayable" because 30fps with some framerate drops when past 8 years that didn't seem the case. It's nothing more than hypocrizy. Final rant on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom