• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Shin Megami Tensei V - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Are you hyped??

• Yes

Votes: 167 74.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • The option that'll lead to me failing this negotiation after spending half my Macca and 5 Life Stone

Votes: 47 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was with the mobile port that is no longer supported by new versions of iOS.

Normally i don't like playing games through an emulator but in these cases i see nothing wrong, the publisher just doesn't give me any option to buy the game legally and play it here.

If i recall II and If are also available on NSO Japan. But yeah only in japanese. We got The Immortal instead 🤦‍♂️
Ah right, I double checked and saw SMT II added in around Feb and SMT if around July this year

If someone wants to play the classic SMT games in english, remember to get the Orsen patch for SMT1. The old Aeon Genesis patch is pretty buggy + the Orsen patch retranslates spells with their modern english names used by Atlus USA

Aeon Genesis SMT2 is fine and we recently got an If... translation

I'm loving all those menu settings and features. Having split volumes for music/SFX/voices is always a plus for me, since it lets me crank up the music without going deaf from battle SFX. And those HUD options are VERY nice!

The buff/debuff thing is... probably fine? It does skew a little more toward how they work in Persona, but I'm fine with that. They'll still be very important, you'll just have to focus on managing them more than before, I guess.

If someone wants to play the classic SMT games in english, remember to get the Orsen patch for SMT1. The old Aeon Genesis patch is pretty buggy + the Orsen patch retranslates spells with their modern english names used by Atlus USA

Aeon Genesis SMT2 is fine and we recently got an If... translation
SMT2 got a patch that fixed the translation discrepancies.

SMT1 GBA got translated too and I recommend that version over the SNES one. It's kinda butts.

SMT2 got a patch that fixed the translation discrepancies.

SMT1 GBA got translated too and I recommend that version over the SNES one. It's kinda butts.
Ooh, that's nice to know actually. What are the differences between SNES and GBA?

Ooh, that's nice to know actually. What are the differences between SNES and GBA?
The translation was lifted from the iOS port (as that one is based on the GBA version) so it's much higher quality, the GUI isn't total pants anymore as it uses the 3x2 grid from SMTII and onward instead of having half the screen taken up by your party's stat screen, you just press one button to access the map instead of three sub-menus, the graphics are based on the PS1 version so they're crunched up a bit but at least the dungeons don't resemble cardboard boxes anymore, and it's ultimately a much smoother experience to actually play.

It's still Shin Megami Tensei 1, a game you either break in half with Charm Bullets and Zio or suffer through, but it's the best available version.

Any word on the music? SMT IV has one of my favorite video game soundtracks and I'm really anxious to hear how this one stacks up.

Any word on the music? SMT IV has one of my favorite video game soundtracks and I'm really anxious to hear how this one stacks up.
A youtuber named Neos antrax has been posting some of the music to his youtube channel you can listen to some songs there if you are interested, I think they all sound really good

Be careful and avoid spoilers guys, game is fully out in the wild

You guys sold me on the game. Never played a single persona or SMT game but hearing your feedback and watching the trailers I'm in.

Love that they were able to do this in Shinagawa station considering it's the one we've seen the MC walk in... that pathway is huge too. Glad SMTV is getting all this promo.

This is going to be the longest week ever.
I hope I get lucky and manage to find a store that breaks the street date. Getting a game 1-2 days before release is typically pretty easy in my city but let's see.

It's kind of ridiculous to me that a game being largely documented and beat by a lot of people a week before it comes out is the norm nowadays. Has been for a while but sheesh lol. Hope I can find a copy early too.

Also I saw what I assume are upscaled emulator pictures and while I don't want to promote that because I'm 95% sure it's piracy, the game does look quite stunning at higher resolutions.

I hope I get lucky and manage to find a store that breaks the street date. Getting a game 1-2 days before release is typically pretty easy in my city but let's see.
Used to be the same, but nintendo somehow cracked down on that.
Now its mostly on the dvening before if you have luck. And strangely mediamarkt doesnt even have it online here,
so i will just have to hope that they have it in stores on release.

bondage angel didn't make sense from a story perspective, hence the new design
I understand just preferred a more human looking angel but as I said the new design is cool too.

I didn’t go for a physical copy, we have a few people on a family Nintendo online so digital made more sense and I don’t have to worry about a delay in delivery 😝

Never played a SMT game before, in fact, never played an Atlus game like...ever, not even Persona.

I really like Dragon Quest, Drak Soul and Final Fantasy games, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, Yakuza Like a Dragon or Tales of Arise as recent jrpgs, will this game be suitable for my tastes?

Also, angy guide or tips for newcomers?

Never played a SMT game before, in fact, never played an Atlus game like...ever, not even Persona.

I really like Dragon Quest, Drak Soul and Final Fantasy games, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, Yakuza Like a Dragon or Tales of Arise as recent jrpgs, will this game be suitable for my tastes?

this game will be fine for you.

If you like DQ and Dark Souls there is a high chance you will like SMT.

I don't know many tips, beside always recruit demons with different attributes/resistances/skills. Buff, debuff and ailment skills are useful in SMT, even more than Dragon Quest, so having demons with them is always appreciated. The key with modern SMT games is to gain as many turns as you can and make your enemies lost them, if you avoid/repel a enemy attack they will lose turns. Pretty sure the game will have a early boss which will test this theory, so have it present as early you can ^^

SMT games are kind of like Dragon Quest in like the battle gameplay are pretty much maintained a standard throughout the course of the series. It is a modified turn-based system called Press Turn. You can search about it to get an in-depth guide on how it works. But since you like DQ and FF, you will get it easily.

As far as story goes, SMT has common themes throughout the series even though each game is standalone, and your actions and choices in certain portions of the game control your alignment, which has an effect in the latter portions of the game as well as the ending. So, together with collecting demons in your compendium, there's replayability in this game.

Sounds like you will love it. Despite DQ being very different thematically, I always felt it's a similar experience to SMT in terms of combat. Both combat systems are simple, but the way the game is designed makes you explore everything they offer. They both have challenging bosses, send you back to the title screen when you die, and they both can have regular encounters fuck you up if you're not paying attention, so that feeling of high stakes and managing your resources when exploring a dungeon is similar.

Also the design of the boss battles has a similar philosophy as Dark Souls, you're not supposed to win them first try. They will kick your ass, and you have to figure out a way to beat them, and when you do, you will feel badass (until the next area gives you a reality check again lol).

As for tips, just fuse demons to your heart's content and try many different skills. Some of the skills might look useless at first, and then you will learn they are perfect for that particular boss fight. You can always get back all the demons you used as fusion materials by buying them on the compendium, so you don't really have to worry about missing anything.

The skills follow a similar hierarchy naming system as Final Fantasy and DQ (Fire-Fira-Firaga) but the names aren't intuitive (Zio is eletricity and Bufu is ice, for example), so get familiriazed with the terms.

My hype is such that I beat Nocturne over the weekend to get an ending I haven't gotten yet. It was on Merciful and NG+ so it cut down the time severely, but still.

Also for anyone new to the series - just give it a shot, learn from your mistakes, fuse demons, and read NPC dialogue carefully. Every time I replay an SMT game I am surprised how helpful the NPC dialogue is for a series called obscure and confusing. Atlus added an Easy difficulty if it's getting too stressful.

I'm surprised Atlus is going this route, especially when they won't allow vtubers and streamers to stream their RPGs before. But nice to get Kiara since she streams a lot of JRPGs.

I got Nocturne HD. Not that I need it now, but I want to replay it eventually, found a retail copy for 30€ and wanted to grab one before they get impossible to find.

How spoilerish is that new trailer? If it's old stuff just with a dub I would watch it without worry myself.
I think it's basically all stuff we've seen. Maybe 1 or 2 new lines and a couple demons that have been in the Daily Demon Showcase but not in trailers before this

Trying not to watch or listen to anything more before release day. Just wishing the week would hurry up. I might try to catch some podcasts this week that discuss the reviews, but that's about it.

Glad we have a thread here about SMT V because the other one on Era is kinda terrible rn with people openly posting pirated pics and videos of the game. Plus kinda shocked by some of the people's sentiment and posts. It's really telling if I'm being honest.

I hope this game can get as many sales as it can because before V the series has been incredibly niche. So it sucks to see people pirate the game knowing how small the series is. This game is probably Atlus's biggest production so far. Hoping for the best.

Glad we have a thread here about SMT V because the other one on Era is kinda terrible rn with people openly posting pirated pics and videos of the game. Plus kinda shocked by some of the people's sentiment and posts. It's really telling if I'm being honest.

I hope this game can get as many sales as it can because before V the series has been incredibly niche. So it sucks to see people pirate the game knowing how small the series is. Hoping for the best.
I doubt more than a couple thousand people max are emulating switch games on day -3 without buying or planning to buy the game so hopefully it won't have to big an effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom