• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
This is a big talking point on the other forum, and with a possible reveal coming in the near future (TGA) I thought I'd bring the discussion here.

Here's the current state of the rumor:

There's also this post by the user Belmont on Resetera. I don't think there's a known track record for this user, but the post was interesting enough to place here.
I don't usually comment on these things, but given there's been a lot of irresponsible reporting around this project that's led to a lot of misconceptions and (imo) undeserved negativity, I want to clear up a couple of things here. As the cat's out of the bag now and Emily has already broken the news, I figure it can't do anything but help. First off though, I don't know whether or not this is being announced in the direct today. I was expecting it to be announced in the E3 direct, but when they announced Dread instead I assumed they were going to hold off on this announcement until after Dread released. So I'd be surprised if they talk about it today, but if they do then that's great because I've been waiting for this to be announced for years now.

Just so people understand what this is and what it isn't, I just want to clear up the history here so people can make accurate judgments about this project and whether it's worth their money. To start, most every rumor that's supposedly leaked about Retro the last several years has been complete bullshit. The stuff about them doing Star Fox Grand Prix and Labo stuff was complete bullshit. The only thing that was accurate was the rumor about the project they'd been working on since Tropical Freeze released was canceled. That was true.

After that, Nintendo had them start working on this project. It was designed from the beginning as a full asset remake of the original Metroid Prime Trilogy. They didn't want them making any changes to the design. They just wanted a 1:1 remake of the original games with new art built to modern standards. Down to them even reusing the original collision meshes and just replacing the art. They didn't want to mess with perfection. So this was never at any point a simple remaster of any of the games. They were always planned to be full remakes.

But it was only the art that was being rebuilt so that left their design staff with nothing to do. At the time, NOJ was having issues with Namco's work on Prime 4. Particularly the level design. So they started having the Retro design staff start helping with the level design on Prime 4. Meanwhile, art and programming staff were working on the MP1 Remake. After seeing the quality of Retro's level design work on Prime 4 and the quality of their art for the remake, NOJ decided, "Why are we not just having Retro do Prime 4 altogether?" So that was the point where they cancelled things with Namco and made the announcement they were rebooting things with Retro and put them back together with Tanabe.

So I think it was a few months after this or somewhere around then where the rumors about a MP trilogy first came out. I believe Imran Khan was first to "scoop it." However, what he reported was largely bullshit. He said the full trilogy was finished as a remaster and was just sitting around waiting to be released. Also, that Retro had secretly put a demo together to scoop MP4 from Namco. That was completely untrue. That is not how things work in this industry and definitely not how the relationship between Retro and NOJ works. This is not Spangleberg-era Retro where they're just secretly working on their own projects supposedly to steal projects from other studios. I feel like that was really irresponsible for Imran to claim that as that's a really bad look for Retro and is the kind of thing that creates bad blood. Retro are good guys and classier than that.

I privately messaged Imran back in early 2019 that his reporting was largely wrong. This was not a simple remaster. Work had not yet even begun on the later two games and this first game wouldn't be ready for some time. Also, that his statements about Retro sniping Prime 4 from Namco was completely untrue. It had been NOJ's decision and they were just following orders. Imran stopped responding to me as I guess rather than do his due diligence to correct any bad reporting he'd rather just let those bad rumors fly and soak up his fifteen minutes of fame. So instead these rumors about a Prime Trilogy being finished and waiting in the wings just kept circulating and getting reported by more people.

Before Retro got Prime 4 back they'd been planning for them to redo the whole trilogy. Obviously that was not going to be possible with them now doing Prime 4. So the new plan became for them to just finish up the first game, then Nintendo would contract out the work for the subsequent games to be redone by other studios with the Prime 1 remake serving to establish the visual bar and style for other studios to emulate. I don't know whether this is still the plan or if that work has even begun. I'm sort of doubtful. They've just barely finished up the work on Prime 1 just a few weeks ago. So this is definitely not something Nintendo has been sitting on for years and releasing them individually to nickel and dime everybody.

Retro has put a lot of work in to this project. They've seriously been working on it for years. I hope that can be appreciated. This is not one of Nintendo's usual quick minimalist re-release cash grabs. I think this is the kind of thing we want to see from them and should reward. That's why it irritates me that all this irresponsible reporting from years past is casting a negative shadow over it with people being led to believe Nintendo is just trying to take advantage of the fan base. Yes, that has happened from time to time, but this is not one of those cases. I don't know what the price point would ultimately be, but given the amount of work put into it I would fully expect it to be full price. Again, there's not any new added content to my knowledge but all the art assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up a la Shadow of the Colossus/Demon's Souls remake. I have not seen the game running so I can't comment on the finished quality of the art remake, but I have heard it's impressive for what it's worth. So hopefully that clarifies the situation here.

What are your thoughts on this rumor? I'm a bit mixed on it myself.

really excited for the remake of 1 by retro. don't really like the sound of remakes of 2 and 3 being done by other devs, hope that part's not true.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. In principle I'd like to play 2 and 3 before 4, so potentially I might only play the remake of 1 and put off 4. Maybe I'd pick up the trilogy on Wii if it isn't prohibitively expensive by then, I'm not sure.

I haven't played Metroid Prime in a very long time. Never finished any of the three games and I look forward to delving into them eventually. Also quite looking forward to Metroid Dread and that sweet sweet Switch OLED. :)

I haven't played Metroid Prime in a very long time. Never finished any of the three games and I look forward to delving into them eventually. Also quite looking forward to Metroid Dread and that sweet sweet Switch OLED. :)
Can't believe it's only in a week.

Glad for the fans of Metroid getting more games in the series, but it kinda sucks we will likely never get a sequel to Tropical Freeze since Retro are really busy with Metroid.

But at least the wishes of hardcore fans are getting met.

I would be stoked to play a Metroid Prime remake. Honestly, a remaster… well, it wouldn’t be anything someone couldn’t get playing the game in Dolphin or whatever. If it’s a ground-up remake, it’s gonna be a much different game despite being the same game.

I would be stoked to play a Metroid Prime remake. Honestly, a remaster… well, it wouldn’t be anything someone couldn’t get playing the game in Dolphin or whatever. If it’s a ground-up remake, it’s gonna be a much different game despite being the same game.
I feel like the lines are kinda blurred these days. It sounds like they're graphically remaking all of the assets and I'm guessing they'll update the controls a bit but it'll probably be on the same game engine. Maybe new lighting.

So from what some in the know have said apparently Prime 1 is basically done. If that is the case then a TGA reveal might be a thing.

Hopefully Nintendo has plans for Retro to give Prime 2 and 3 the same treatment because my OCD will go crazy if I only have Prime 1 and 4 next to each other on my shelf.

So from what some in the know have said apparently Prime 1 is basically done. If that is the case then a TGA reveal might be a thing.
It really depends on how long Nintendo wants Dread to have the spotlight IMO. The Remake could easily come next October, but maybe it would be better to place it closer to Dread so that Metroid keeps the spotlight? I dunno.

Very curious to see how they will handle the controls. I know most people will probably want a more current fps control layout but I personally I always liked the lock-on gameplay from Prime 1 and 2. Hopefully they will give us options.

I think I'd rather have the trilogy. Prime still looks great and if it's just gonna play the same anyway, I feel like I'd rather just have the other two games. Obv I havent seen it yet, but I'm not confident that the switch will provide a graphical bump I'll be too impressed with.

Prime 2 is the better game as well ;)

Honestly 100% fine with it being just Prime 1 if there is substantial work put into it. My big question is how do you introduce it? I feel like people will freak out thinking its MP4, but then SIKE! It's Prime 1 Remake.

Honestly 100% fine with it being just Prime 1 if there is substantial work put into it. My big question is how do you introduce it? I feel like people will freak out thinking its MP4, but then SIKE! It's Prime 1 Remake.
Couple it with a “we’re working hard on Prime 4” before it, like they did with Dread

Couple it with a “we’re working hard on Prime 4” before it, like they did with Dread

True, true. I sort of expected it to unveiled during an outside event like TGA, but if its during a Direct they would absolutely do that.

This sounds cool and all but I still play my gamecube copy of Prime every couple of years so this doesn't sound all that enticing to me. Was hoping for a trilogy release so I could finally play 2.

Maybe a simultaneous reveal? Would soften the blow a bit.

I’m more interested in a MP1 remake than a MPT remaster tbh
Normally I would be, as well, but if the details are correct, it's just Metroid Prime with the best graphics the switch can offer. In the end, I'm thinking of Bluepoint's efforts w SotC and DeS. I felt I didnt get enough outta them, and the prettiness kinda went away after awhile. In the end I just felt like I was replaying those games...

And the Switch, as much as I love it, isn't a PS4 or PS5 in terms of raw power. So it's working with significantly less than those remakes. Cant help but feel I'd rather just have the old games at 1080p instead of just this one remastered

I wouldn't be surprised with a MP1 remake reveal alongside an MP4 teaser at TGA, I feel like that's the kind of Nintendo announcement that would fit TGA best outside of Smash or BOTW2

This would be a dream announcement for me. Well, Metroid 5 was, this is the next one. Fingers crossed.

<embedded quote redacted per user request>

Interesting.
So, can I expect the same improvement as XCDE?
Anyway, nice to see you again.

What exactly would they consider a remake then? Is Miitopia on Switch a remake? Didn't that have virtually all of the assets remade?

Or is it just relegated to games that are on completely different engines like Link's Awakening?

What exactly would they consider a remake then? Is Miitopia on Switch a remake? Didn't that have virtually all of the assets remade?

Or is it just relegated to games that are on completely different engines like Link's Awakening?
I consider it "remade" when it's built on a completely different engine

Remastered when the existing assets are "touched up" for better presentation on more modern hardware

I see it like the difference between a remix and a remaster in music production

Huh. I wonder if this will just be the remaster itself then, or will it include new content similarly to XenoblaDE. Surely an asset redo wouldn't take several years to do.

A general rule for me, is that a remaster is fundamentally the same game, and the same experience, as the original. Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary are remasters, as they're still the same games as their original counterparts from 2001/2004, just with a brand new, high definition asset set. They play the same as the originals, and even their old speedrun tricks still work. While something like PMD Rescue Team DX is a remake, as while it keeps the core gameplay and general structure of the original Rescue Team, there's plenty of changes to how the game actually works that playing it is a different experience.

This plan for a Prime "remake" sounds much closer to Halo Anniversary than an actual remake. Outside of a graphical makeover and control/QOL changes, I don't think Retro is planning any actual changes to the game itself.

No clue. I wish I had a good answer to give you.

At the end of the day, Retro Studios put a lot of work into it. In my opinion, the branding of "remake" or "remaster" doesn't matter.

Example: On Activision's website, they talk about Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy being "fully-remastered". When obviously the game's assets and engine were re-made from top to bottom.
Now you can experience Crash Brandicoot like never before in fully-remastered HD graphical glory.

At the end of the day, Retro Studios put a lot of work into it. In my opinion, the branding of "remake" or "remaster" doesn't matter.

Example: On Activision's website, they talk about Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy being "fully-remastered". When obviously the game's assets and engine were re-made from top to bottom.
I guess it's just best not to worry about the semantics then.

"Remaster" is one of several terms that I'm kind of annoyed entered the gaming lexicon because trying to apply it to video games just kind of leads to a weird, wishy-washy definition due to differences in how games as a medium work compared to stuff like film and music where the term originates from. Unfortunately it's too late to do anything about that now, but personally I tend to view things more as a spectrum that spans from port to remake.

If the development is (almost) done, will Nintendo wait until next November?
A Metroid remake, even if it's a remake of Prime, doesn't strike me as a holiday game. Most likely summer or early fall, like Dread is.

I think it's safe to call all of the Pokemon games (FR/LG, HGSS, ORAS, Let's Go) remakes. Same for all of the Fire Emblem remakes, especially with Shadows of Valentia remaking Gaiden. Zero Mission and Samus Returns are also remakes. Link's Awakening being a 1-to-1 thing makes it a bit nebulous. I think Miitopia is firmly in remaster or port territory.

Welcome back, Emily!

As for MP1 Remake, I'm now thinking it'll release sometime between June-October.

omg welcome Emily!

It's time to start using the term 'Version Up' for projects like this and Xenoblade DE; Square Enix decided to forego all the remaster vs remake semantics for Nier Replicant and it'd be wise for others to follow their lead.

ooo this is exciting. Looking forward to it — it really sounds like Prime will be one of those rare well done remasters, especially given the medium. The stakes are high, but it sounds like it’ll be a cut above. I’m glad Nintendo sent it to Retro and not a porter-house. I trust them to outflank the competition and keep the meat of the game in the remaster, instead of stripping it out for graphical improvements alone.

nice to finally meat you Emily I am so, so sorry

I love Meatroid, can’t wait to find out more about the antagonistic Chorizo

eyyyyyy I can stop any time but I’m operating on no sleep and 4 am bathtub hallucinations today

So assuming Prime 1 HD is pretty much finished, does Retro put those resources towards Prime 4 or do they start working on Prime 2 HD?

If it is revealed at The Game Awards, we will certainly have come a long way from the days when Reggie wore the Samus pin to the show that came before The Game Awards and Geoff was on screen begging for literally anything more than Tropical Freeze.

So assuming Prime 1 HD is pretty much finished, does Retro put those resources towards Prime 4 or do they start working on Prime 2 HD?
Prime 4, presumably. Gotta get that out the door so as not to waste the potential momentum that Prime HD would create.

It's a remaster that approaches remake territory -- essentially, they are redoing assets but the core may remain untouched.

As mentioned in the thread, Nintendo views it as a remaster. Ultimately, the terminology don't matter much. The project is ambitious & one Prime fans should be excited for come 2022.

It can't be stressed enough. Nintendo truly does love releasing remasters/remakes during anniversaries.

Anniversaries are one the easiest marketing templates.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definition Edition - Released during Xenoblade Chronicle 1's 10th anniversary.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Released during Skyward Sword's 10th anniversary.
  • Super Mario 3D All Stars - Released during Mario's 35th anniversary.
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2 - Releasing during Advance War's 20th anniversary
  • Pokemon Diamond & Pearl - Releasing during Pokemon's 25th anniversary (and Diamond & Pearl's 15th anniversary)

Plus, Metroid Prime wasn't just any game. It's one of the greatest games that Nintendo has ever created. It sits at 97% on Metacritic.

Prime 1 was Metroid's Ocarina of Time moment. It would be almost insulting if Nintendo didn't acknowledge Metroid Prime's anniversary in some way.

And who can forget all the times Metroid Prime been compared to Citizen Kane...

IGN - Citizen Kane: Is Metroid Prime Our Citizen Kane?
Kotaku - The Man Who Never Wanted To Make The 'Citizen Kane' for Games

It's a remaster that approaches remake territory -- essentially, they are redoing assets but the core may remain untouched.

As mentioned in the thread, Nintendo views it as a remaster. Ultimately, the terminology don't matter much. The project is ambitious & one Prime fans should be excited for come 2022.
This sounds ideal to me. Can't wait for the official reveal.

The idea that Nintendo shares my severe anniversary brain makes me so very happy.

Back
Top Bottom