• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Started Bravely Default 2. Enjoyed the first game enough, though by the end I had to resort to guides to figure out how to beat the tough bosses. I played Second a bit, though never got super far in. Not sure why since it was perfectly enjoyable. This time I hope to actually study my abilities well enough and actually plan out my own strategies. Looks like the series flexibility is still in, so that will be nice.

I saw something positive on this rpg that's been on steam for a bit called Light Fairytale. Heavy FF7 vibes but it's releasing in chapters like the remake. I went to twitter to see if someone asked abt a switch version and it seems like they're working on it

I'm thinking of giving the Kingdom Hearts series an honest chance. I played a bit of it as a child and didn't like it much, but I really want to try it a second time now that I have a different outlook on games, to see if it sticks this time.

The only other experience I've had is hearing so much over all these years how messy and convoluted the story is, but I really don't mind that.

My advice to anyone starting out with KH: Don’t worry about the story. Well… worry about the story in the moment but don’t try to make sense of it after the second game. It’s just a long series of asspulls to justify the existence of each new game. There’s absolutely never been a long-term plan (much like a lot of games) for it. Just enjoy it for what it is and expecting to eyeroll at it while your brain goes on vacation at times.

And don’t go in expecting Final Fantasy with Disney. It’s not that. The FF stuff is bait and window dressing to get you in the door. You will be much happier approaching it on its own terms.

And don’t go in expecting Final Fantasy with Disney. It’s not that. The FF stuff is bait and window dressing to get you in the door. You will be much happier approaching it on its own terms.

Oh yeah, I've heard about that particular irk with the series. I'm definitely aiming at trying to appreciate it for what it is.

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread - a thousand (turn-based) apologies.

This year my only gaming so far has been on Knights of the Old Republic, the 2003 classic Western RPG. I've just hit the Plot Twist, and have only Korriban left on my list of planets to visit.

Next RPG up after that will be either Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey or Dungeon Encounters; perhaps both. I've owned a second hand copy of Lost Odyssey since 2009, and shamefully never played it. Now I have a discless Xbox Series S, I can't play the disc on it, but I did buy the digital version of the game for £4.99 the other week and look forward to finally starting it soon.

I'm thinking of giving the Kingdom Hearts series an honest chance. I played a bit of it as a child and didn't like it much, but I really want to try it a second time now that I have a different outlook on games, to see if it sticks this time.

The only other experience I've had is hearing so much over all these years how messy and convoluted the story is, but I really don't mind that.
That’s awesome! Excited to hear your thoughts as you play through the games. The only thing I’d say walking in, the first game is far and away the hardest so watch out!
Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread - a thousand (turn-based) apologies.

This year my only gaming so far has been on Knights of the Old Republic, the 2003 classic Western RPG. I've just hit the Plot Twist, and have only Korriban left on my list of planets to visit.

Next RPG up after that will be either Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey or Dungeon Encounters; perhaps both. I've owned a second hand copy of Lost Odyssey since 2009, and shamefully never played it. Now I have a discless Xbox Series S, I can't play the disc on it, but I did buy the digital version of the game for £4.99 the other week and look forward to finally starting it soon.
Glad you made it here! Lost Odyssey is awesome! Excited to hear your thoughts as you play through it :) I started Dungeon Encounters and it seems cool, but I haven’t made it too far in myself. Hoping to get back to it.

Finally finished Atelier Sophie DX in preparation for Sophie 2, and boy did I forget how weird this one was. Being the first one without time limits (technically Shallie doesn't have it but the task systems always keep you on track) and having access to every area as soon as you max the current plachta memory can make you overpowered in the first hours with some luck (around 10 hours I already had the one hit kill property making fights a breeze), I can see why they added the time limit for the first part of Firis after this.

Now on to DQ2 Switch as I had it in my backlog and I only played the original version on NES!

I figured this would be a better place to put my concluding thoughts about the only new JRPG I played last year, now that the official GotY nominations thread has moved on to the roleplaying categories:

Monster Hunter Stories 2

My biggest gaming let-down of 2022.

It's not the fault of story or characters. Those are no more insulting than I'm trained to enjoy and elevated by outstanding cutscene direction.

No, the problems all come down to gameplay.

The battle system is simple rock-paper-scissors with just enough avenues built in for iteration in order to keep predicting the next incoming attack interesting. But the game doesn't like to utilize them. Tells never get any harder to spot, damage migitation upon correct reads no less absolute, patterns only so much more complicated - the latter, I assume, in response to criticism the first Stories received for its monsters being too much work to figure out.

Instead fights brute-force difficulty by two means: A) giving monsters neutral attacks, B) granting monsters extra attacks per round. Both completely bypass the core rock-paper-scissor attack triangle. It's like the game gave up on balancing its combat, within its own established rules, before even trying.

It had no need to abandon faith. Engaging with the rock-paper-scissor element is fun. Reading a monster like a book conveys the fantasy of a master rider/hunter, and guessing wrong creates energizing "Oh shit!" moments. In contrast, uncounterable neutral attacks and monsters going ham with two, three attacks per round can only be dealt with in very limited ways, and it gets exhausting repeating those strategies for every big encounter.

Fundamentally, Monster Hunter Stories 2's combat shines in boss fights, and it sucks for trash mobs. Fights take time, even when you've learned a monster inside out and are mindlessly going through the motions. It's the worst kind of battle system to build a grindy end-game around, yet that's excactly what Monster Hunter Stories 2 does post-credits.

Customizing your monstie's gene boards means lots of unskippable fights. Then again, the appeal of building unique monsties is restricted to begin with due to a lack of variety in genes, stats, types and elements. A Power-type Fire-element monstie is the same as any other power/fire monstie, looks aside, except one species objectively invalidates the rest because it has superior stats on its side on top of the same type, element and access to all the the same genes. But if you do have your heart set on teaching, say, your favorite belly-sliding snow bunny a certain set of attacks and passive abilities, get ready for the longest egg gacha hunt of your life, as the one method the game offers of hunting specific species is no good.

In short, as I would sum up a review in a snarky headline, "This game is THE PITS!"

I've been replaying FF7R on the PS5 and man, I'm still so let down by that ending. The rest of the game is for me top tier but that ending and the direction they seem to be taking part 2 in is just such a disappointment to me.

It's like they show how good the game could be if it was just a straightforward remake and then right at the end they take it away and say nah we're doing things our way. Also fighting Sephiroth at the end is just so, so stupid. I always felt like they showed too much of Sephiroth to begin with but to actually have a fight like that with him at the end of part 1 was just insane.

Looking likely! Hoping we get a cool limited edition and merch with it.
This year makes my wallet cry. But let's first see what the LE will contain.

And the exact release date. Likely October, if they keep their pattern from CS3+4.

I think it's fall 2022, too, but I can't remember if they ever actually said that or everyone just assumed that.
The Fall 2022 window was from the 30 second announcement trailer. IIRC they revealed Cold Steel III’s date early in its year too since it was also their tentpole release that year.

I’m still enjoying Demon’s Souls, although I’ve died a lot on my current boss encounter; Dragon god.

Going on with Dragon Quest 2 at the Tower of Wind. I only played the original in 1991 and , and I just remember that I died a lot in the first hours and how useless was the prince of cannock. So far it's been easier and less grindy and it's nice to see how the evolved from the first one limiting the options where you can go at the beginning.

I still find weird
1) they didn't give any spells to the main hero
2) those gents wenteth harder on the fusty english in this version. I played 1 and 3 last november and I remember it was very light in 1, and 3 only had it in one town. I seriously have to search some words here because sometimes I don't know what the hell the npc are saying.

So after finishing FF VI, I wanted a short JRPG to play since Pokemon is around the corner. I started YS Origin (my first YS game). I played for a few hours and got to the girl boss. Well I got my ass kicked and figured I should retreat. Well it turns out I didn't save since floor 4 so I lost well over an hour of progress since you can't retreat from bosses and when you restart it puts you directly in the same fight.

I guess that is partially on me but it is still super annoying. I might shelve the game for now.

I was thinking about this last night...with Zero and Azure coming over to switch do we expect Cold Steel 1+2 to come out in 2024+? I know there's some publishing issue with I think Xseed, but whichever company has control, do you think they finally try to port the two games since all these other ones are on the platform? Maybe we'll be onto the next switch and it will be too late.

I was thinking about this last night...with Zero and Azure coming over to switch do we expect Cold Steel 1+2 to come out in 2024+? I know there's some publishing issue with I think Xseed, but whichever company has control, do you think they finally try to port the two games since all these other ones are on the platform? Maybe we'll be onto the next switch and it will be too late.
I don't think so. Xseed is done with the franchise and with Falcom. That's also the reason for the lack of the Sky trilogy. Maybe they sell the localization to NISA, but who knows what happens. Xseed could need that money. What I want to say, don't get your hopes up.
So after finishing FF VI, I wanted a short JRPG to play since Pokemon is around the corner. I started YS Origin (my first YS game). I played for a few hours and got to the girl boss. Well I got my ass kicked and figured I should retreat. Well it turns out I didn't save since floor 4 so I lost well over an hour of progress since you can't retreat from bosses and when you restart it puts you directly in the same fight.

I guess that is partially on me but it is still super annoying. I might shelve the game for now.
I know how that feels, but don't end it here. It's just an hour. If you are annoyed, do a break for 1 or 2 days and come back.

Going to echo Bokuringo, unless you aren’t enjoying it, I’d stick with Ys Origin. I definitely had a similar thing happen when I first played it and it is frustrating, but I stuck with it and it’s tied for my favorite Ys game. Super rewarding experience to conquer.
I’m going to say never say never, but there’s a lot going against it. The split between XSeed and Falcom was messy and some of the bigger champions of the series aren’t there anymore. They would probably sell well, but yeah I don’t know. I hope so! It would be huge to have Trails 4-10 on Switch.

Oh, wow, they put the limited edition on their store but didn't tweet about it yet.

https://store.nisamerica.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-from-zero

Edit: And there it is.

Definitely ordering the Limited Edition on Switch later today though I do have the full soundtrack on itunes already. Might get either the plushie or the puzzle too (the picture isn’t that cool, but puzzles are fun).

Last edited:
Probably my favorite thing about FF7R is how much respect it has for the original Final Fantasy VII while looking forward to the future. All the care they took bringing it to life makes me very excited to see what the second game will look like. Are you planning to play the Yuffie DLC?
Yuffie is PS5 exclusive right? Not any time soon anyway

Finished KOTOR the other night and had a great time with it, overall. Looking forward to the sequel eventually being available. I do appreciate that old school Bioware design whereby their missions had multiple, sometimes very different, approaches, even if the morality systems were a little crude.

Next up on the RPG front is probably Dungeon Encounters, I think; but I'm giving my RPG brain a rest this weekend.

Earlier today I beat Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori for the Super Famicom. Why did I play this game? I have no idea. I was just looking at fan translations for 16 bit JRPGs and I saw that this one got a translation in 2018. HowLongtoBeat said it was only 14.5 hours, so I decided to try it out. I beat it in just under 10 hours, and it sure was a video game that exists. It wasn't terrible or anything, it's just plain in all that it does. It has one neat sounding mechanic, which is that you can talk to enemies like a MegaTen game, but it's not really worth it. You can't recruit any enemies, talking to them works so rarely, and the rewards you get for talking to them are so minimal anyway. That didn't stop me from trying to talk to enemies about 95% of the time, but there was really no point in doing it. The game is easy enough as it is, talking myself out of battles was pointless.

Something else interesting is that not only do the bosses scale with you, but at certain points in the game your entire party will get leveled up to whatever level the developers want you to be at. So while regular enemies don't scale with you, the game makes sure you're strong enough to beat them. I got about half of my total levels in the game this way. There wasn't much opportunity to fight to gain levels myself because dungeons are short and towns are so plentiful and close by that you might get into two battles during your walks between them. There are 15 towns in a game that took me under 10 hours to beat. That's too many towns.

So basically the game has no redeeming qualities, but I still give it a 7/10 because I love JRPGs and just going through the motions of one makes me happy.

Last edited:
Currently on Nier Replicant route C.

The grind for weapons has been annoying, everything else has been sublime

I’m confused, she’s not part of Intergrade or Integrade didn’t come out on PS4?
Yeah Intergrade definitely didn’t come to PS4. According to Square, they made it more ambitious than the PS4 could handle. There’s a few areas of Intermission/Yuffie’s episode where I could see that. It looks immaculate too.

I know how that feels, but don't end it here. It's just an hour. If you are annoyed, do a break for 1 or 2 days and come back.

Going to echo Bokuringo, unless you aren’t enjoying it, I’d stick with Ys Origin. I definitely had a similar thing happen when I first played it and it is frustrating, but I stuck with it and it’s tied for my favorite Ys game. Super rewarding experience to conquer.

Yea, this weekend is going to be all about Captain Toad, but I think I will pick the game back up next week.

Been playing Tales of Vesperia, taking a break after hitting the 20 hour mark.

Normal is too easy, but I don't know how to play well enough to do Hard mode, so it's kinda unsatisfying since the main appeal of playing the game for me is getting into the combat.

I finished Horizon Zero Dawn tonight and claimed the platinum trophy as credits rolled. Awesome, very fun game overall. I’ve regularly seen it labeled as an RPG, and it was both less and more of one than I was expecting. Like there’s a lot of focus for example when fighting bigger robots on exploiting damage types and making sure you are prepared walking in. The way dialogue and quest systems are handled feel also well in line. However, the way equipment works with various perks and abilities you’d figure would lend itself to Diablo style loot drops, but that basically never happens outside of mod drops even with all of the treasure you plunder or the many loot boxes you collect. It’s good it keeps things moving along to just buy/craft/trade everything, and there is still plenty of inventory management which is a bit tedious, but it felt like they could have gone further.

Regardless, exploring and conquering the open world was my favorite part of Horizon. You eventually grow powerful enough to take them down easily, but taking out the biggest robot dinosaurs roaming around the open world for the first time before you ever get a quest for them always felt special. I guess I avoided spoiler talk over the years, so I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting Aloy, her story, and the lore/back story was.

I wandered into the area briefly, but I’m excited to properly start The Frozen Wilds DLC tomorrow so then I’ll be all set for the sequel. Not sure what RPG I’m tackling next. I’m going to play Chicory (which is great from what I’ve played!) and probably Spirit Farer, before I start another RPG properly.

Been playing Tales of Vesperia, taking a break after hitting the 20 hour mark.

Normal is too easy, but I don't know how to play well enough to do Hard mode, so it's kinda unsatisfying since the main appeal of playing the game for me is getting into the combat.
It’s been too long since I played Vesperia so I can’t really share any tips or not, but it’s always a bummer to be stuck in an awkward middle ground like that for difficulty. I do think that the game is worth playing for the adventure and characters and I do remember there was one difficulty spike at least as well as some tough super bosses.

It’s been too long since I played Vesperia so I can’t really share any tips or not, but it’s always a bummer to be stuck in an awkward middle ground like that for difficulty. I do think that the game is worth playing for the adventure and characters and I do remember there was one difficulty spike at least as well as some tough super bosses.
Oh I already played the PS3 version. Bought a fat PS3, imported a copy, and modded the console.

The DE was announced six months later and then my fat PS3 died.

Speaking of, I just started playing Tales of Vesperia yesterday! I'm excited to see how it develops, first Tales game I've played since Destiny. Pretty charming, if a bit generic so far. As far as difficulty, are you able to switch difficulty settings mid-game or are you stuck with what you chose at the beginning?

I've been replaying FF7R on the PS5 and man, I'm still so let down by that ending. The rest of the game is for me top tier but that ending and the direction they seem to be taking part 2 in is just such a disappointment to me.

I really feel you, and echo your sentiment. The final fights felt so dumb and hamfisted, and the demystifying of Sephiroth almost felt like a character assassination of sorts.

Currently on Nier Replicant route C.

The grind for weapons has been annoying, everything else has been sublime

I clocked in at 30 hours and I swear at least 5 of those hours were just hunting down weapons.

Glad you like the game overall though :)

I really feel you, and echo your sentiment. The final fights felt so dumb and hamfisted, and the demystifying of Sephiroth almost felt like a character assassination of sorts.

I clocked in at 30 hours and I swear at least 5 of those hours were just hunting down weapons.

Glad you like the game overall though :)
I stopped after ending C and just watched the rest on Youtube.

Its a great game bogged down by repitition by having to repeat the second half far too many times than its worth.

I didn't realize we had this thread. I guess I'll dump some of my thoughts on a few RPGs I've been playing lately. Somehow i've got four going at once right now.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS)
This is my primary game at the moment. I'm about 40 hours in and just recruited the 5th party member. I've been playing through the series for the first time in release order since 2018, 1-6 on mobile and 7 & 8 on 3DS. I think DQ8 is great. The story and characters are the most important bits of an RPG and I really like what we have here. The weapon skill system is interesting, though I find myself experiencing a bit of FOMO and holding off of specific weapon skills because I don't want to dump them into the wrong category and then find that the ultimate weapon for a character isn't what I put all the skills into.

I'm glad that I have a New 3DS for this one, because the behind the back camera is a bit wonky. It's a reminder that this is a game from the early 2000s.

I really enjoy the photo-taking and monster battle side quests.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
This was my primary game until I got a bit frustrated with it and gave into DQ's warm comforting embrace. I try to play it at least once a week and often find myself thinking that it's awesome and tons of fun, especially the feeling of unexpected crits. So I play a bit and when a character dies, I reset the game and walk away for a while. So it's fun, but it's just a bit daunting. I've played the GBA FE games and about half of Echoes and I find myself wishing two things: that PoR was on a handheld and that it had a bit of the quality of life features that Echoes has, like the move rewind. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age, but hitting reset and replaying stuff isn't as fun as it used to be.

Dragon Quest Tact
I started DQT this week after seeing someone mention it in the Nintendo Discussion thread. It's pretty fun! It has a lot less gacha junk than FE: Heroes, but scratches the same itch. For example: you don't need to merge duplicates manually and there's less focus on swimsuit characters. The graphics are pretty great and in about a week of playing I haven't felt any pressure to buy anything.

Lufia: the Legend Returns
I was on a virtual console GB/GBC kick earlier this year and Lufia is the game that killed it. Not that it's bad. It's quite a long and very repetitive. The core gameplay loop is basic but actually pretty good. The dungeons are all randomly generated and you creep through them with rogue-ish turn based movement. There are secret passages and items to discover hidden throughout, but all the useful items like weapons and armor are kept to the stores. Dungeon items are limited to consumable healing or weapon items. The story is goofy but I'm impressed with it. It's more elaborate than other 8 bit rpgs, I guess. I haven't played any of the other Lufia games and I haven't actually touched this since I gave in to DQ8. I'll probably go back to it. I think I'm halfway through it or a bit past that mark.

Speaking of, I just started playing Tales of Vesperia yesterday! I'm excited to see how it develops, first Tales game I've played since Destiny. Pretty charming, if a bit generic so far. As far as difficulty, are you able to switch difficulty settings mid-game or are you stuck with what you chose at the beginning?
Can be swapped at any time.

After finishing SMT V and Dragon Quest XI S (after a full year of playing it on and off), now I'm playing through the first Trails in the Sky and I must say, it's a bit of a slow burn but I'm pressing on, since I hear so many good things about the whole Trails series and I got probably more than a year of games to play through in this series. I'm also looking forward to playing Triangle Strategy whenever I can get to it.

5rhCSqY.jpg

After finishing SMT V and Dragon Quest XI S (after a full year of playing it on and off), now I'm playing through the first Trails in the Sky and I must say, it's a bit of a slow burn but I'm pressing on, since I hear so many good things about the whole Trails series and I got probably more than a year of games to play through in this series. I'm also looking forward to playing Triangle Strategy whenever I can get to it.
It’s definitely a slow one in the beginning, but it’ll get there eventually. Sky SC was an instabuy after I finished with FC.

I recently started with Cold Steel IV, interesting to see how they wrap up things for the saga and what they leave for Reverie.

So I just got sent a survey on Actraiser Renaissance. Naturally in the suggestions section at the end I wrote that I would also like to see Square rereleasing other Quintet titles. Here's hoping we all get to enjoy the Soul Blazer trilogy again sooner rather than later.

So I just got sent a survey on Actraiser Renaissance. Naturally in the suggestions section at the end I wrote that I would also like to see Square rereleasing other Quintet titles. Here's hoping we all get to enjoy the Soul Blazer trilogy again sooner rather than later.
I finally played through the whole trilogy last year, all in one go. It was so weird feeling an almost melancholic nostalgia over a series I'd never touched before. Terranigma especially.

It’s definitely a slow one in the beginning, but it’ll get there eventually. Sky SC was an instabuy after I finished with FC.

I recently started with Cold Steel IV, interesting to see how they wrap up things for the saga and what they leave for Reverie.
Yeah, some people told me that especially the first one is a bit slow, but it picks up the pace at some point.

And just wanted to point out that I just passed through the same scene that it's on your profile picture I think lol

Back
Top Bottom