• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Resident Evil 4 |ST| Back 4 Bingo

Rolled credits this afternoon.

My initial worries about the game never really went away but they became more forgivable as time went on. Still felt very much like a direct sequel to RE2R which, again, is fine and was likely the right thing to do. And I see how this game is so beloved. It cut out some of the charm original but at least supplemented them with something that helps give it its own identity from the original. Despite all this, I had a great time with it and I honestly may do a Hardcore run.

But throughout the end I definitely felt that same feeling like the whole game was built from the big Resident Evil box Capcom has in the middle of their offices now. Pulling assets from the last 4-5 games to make a remake of RE4. In the last hour or so I felt it the most. the last little stinger from the saddler fight felt like RE3. the rooms leading up to it felt like something straight out of RE Village.

Very enjoyable time but I don't like the formulaic aftertaste it left. I wish there was more distance between this and the other games.

I only played the demo area but I don't love it yet?

It could be that I'm used to the shooting in the original but the camera seems too close to Leon and claustrophobic, aiming feels less precise, and it doesn't really seem like I can strategically kill everyone because the weapons are so under powered. I feel like I'm being forced to run away.

Do the combat encounters start to balance more in your favour or is this more of a running away simulator? Any tips?

I'll probably love it once I start to figure things out.
just play it as if you were playing RE2R. that's how it's designed to work.

I finished it! Island section started to drag a little bit for me but honestly, “dragging a little bit at the end” is a criticism I have of basically every game 😂

Best video game remake I’ve played, for sure

Finished at a friends house. PS4 version.
I like the OG better but it was a good attempt imo and had many pros as well as many cons in comparison.
Might do a full disclosure of those these days.

The more I think on it, the more I love this game. Can’t wait to mess with Mercenaries soon andddd I might need to give it another playthrough as well

Just finished my first playthrough. Played on Hardcore and completed the game in a little over 20 hours with all but one treasure collected (one in the castle I bet a lot of people missed). Overall I really liked it but much prefer the original, so kind of in line with the two other recent REmakes. Mechanically it feels quite good, and it "feels" like I'm playing Resident Evil 4, which was a VERY important thing that they get right. I also love the new knife mechanics. The Village is absolutely incredible and I think even exceeds the original. Just incredibly well done, and I love how they ripped of God of War 2018 for a certain part. So many beautiful parts to this area graphically and the encounter design is very good.

The Castle in the OG game was my favorite part, and it was quite good here but there were some things that bugged me about it, namely Salazar and the underground depths of the castle (won't go into detail to avoid spoilers). It's absolutely beautiful graphically though with great atmosphere and a lot of new sections made it feel different while still retaining the spirit of what made the original great.

The biggest grievance I have though is the Island. It was the worst part of the original game and I hoped they would give it a lot of TLC to bring it up to par with the other two areas, but unfortunately it's even worse here, and clearly had the least effort put into it. There is also a glaring omission, which I was really surprised by, because up until that point the game did a great job of preserving or expanding upon the originals most important sequences.

So overall I really enjoyed it but it's not without it's issues. I think it's cool that they've gone back and done these REmakes, and I'm really interested to see if they will REmake REmake haha. But for now, at least we're still getting new RE games. 7, and especially 8 are both fantastic.

There is also a glaring omission, which I was really surprised by, because up until that point the game did a great job of preserving or expanding upon the originals most important sequences.
FWIW, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about, this "omission" was directly referred to in one of the files in the game, so it exists. People are assuming they moved it to Ada's campaign.

"It?" Which file was it in?
There's a file in the castle's throne room that identifies the other Verdugo as U-3 so people are assuming (I agree with them) that Ada probably kills him in her campaign since he just disappears

Playing it with my gf who is playing most of it tbh.

Finding the normal mode way too easy now. The game seems a little dumbed down compared to RE4 in many ways.

Better in some ways though for sure but overall no way. The both of us are having a very hard time enjoying it as it's own thing without constantly comparing it.... BUT I'm highly looking forward to playing my own game on hard mode and Mercenaries once we're finished.

SICKO MODE

GYfJQHi.gif

Little late but I just finished my first playthrough. Played on hardcore and beat it in roughly 19 hours.

I'm a big fan of the original and while I think the remake is great in a lot of ways, I think I still prefer the original.
Story and cutscenes are really lacking in the remake, they took out a lot of the fun dumb stuff and it's worse off because of it imo. You also just don't see or hear from the villains enough. Like in the original Saddler and Salazar are constantly calling you and being irritating which makes you really want to kill them, in the remake though they barely show up until just before you kill them which just makes them feel more forgettable. The game, in general, feels more forgettable compared to the original imo, like it doesn't have as many "moments" if you get what I mean, or standout locations. They also tried to add some silliness in the gameplay rather than the cutscenes with Leon's one liners but the issue there is it becomes overdone and annoying. The amount of times Leon said "Sorry I must have slipped was infuriating. Similar thing with the merchant, I think they did too much with him where he just won't shut up. Like yeah, gun rhymes with fun, I get it, you've told me 100 times. Please just be quiet now. I was so tired of him by the end. Would have liked to have seen more from Ada, Luis and Ashley though as I really enjoyed all of them in this. It just felt like it was lacking in interesting cutscenes in general I guess.

The gameplay itself though feels really good, shooting is very good and the encounters are all super intense and satisfying to go through. I love love love the knife as well, so good to stealth and stab people or to shoot and stab them on the floor/wall. Krauser's boss fight felt super nice as well once I got more proficient using the knife. Has to be said how good some of the modernization is, it's just a really nice feeling, nice controlling shooter. Makes me wonder if going back to the original will feel like a struggle for a little bit whilst I have to get used to losing a lot of the more modern stuff the remake has.

So yeah, very enjoyable but also really lacking in a good number of ways. I'm really looking forward to doing a few more playthroughs and seeing how I feel about the game on some different difficulties and just having more idea of what I'm doing.

Separate Ways is now officially confirmed, launching September 21st alongside some new content for the Mercenaries mode.

the previously confirmed Playstation VR 2 support will be arriving this winter.

I still haven't played this game, due to having taken a break from gaming in 2023 (for the most part). I'm just glad Separate Ways and the Mercs update are coming, and I'll be able to have the full experience in one cohesive go, once I do finally get around to playing.

Bummed there's no online co-op for Mercs, nor seemingly any plans to add Chris, Claire, Jill, Carlos, etc. to the roster. It always feels like all Capcom has to do is go the extra inch to the left to really please the most hardcore fans, but ends up going to the right instead. There are so many RE fans who want these characters all playable together in a Mercs mode, and not so much stuff like Resistance or Re:Verse!

I preordered RE4R and I haven’t played it yet 😑 maybe with spooky season coming up I can try and get it started.

is there a DLC cheat to get unlimited ammo like with 2 and 3? Me being a big dumb scared baby and all, that cheat really helps me with these games.

zKD0ptJ.png

Someone remind me, were the samples always part of Separate Ways or are they combining it with Assignment: Ada?

Launch trailer is up. The DLC seems pretty meaty and longer than the original Separate Ways.

Bruh. If this DLC is so significant, why did they barely advertise it and launch it a week after it's announcement? 😂 WTF

I still expect it to be rather short, but that's fine, Separate Ways was short apparently, and this looks pretty expansive

Cannot WAIT. RE4 Remake blew me away, and this trailer looks ace. I can’t picture doing anything else this Thursday

EDIT: Forgot I bought some $5 costume DLC earlier this year 👀 Should check that out and practice up

Last edited:
Looks neat, wonder how long it’ll be. I liked the base REmake4 okay but I’m a lot more curious to see how much of my “saved for dlc” guesses show up in Ada

These are the last two posts I needed to hype me up, so I'm gonna dip from the thread now with the trust that this shit looks positively pogged
I thought this post was gonna say you are dipping to finally play the remake! :(

Me when Aurc likes REmake 4: :D:cool:

Me when Aurc doesn't like REmake 4:
Metroid is an action-adventure series developed by Nintendo for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1986 and still active to this day. Combining both the platforming of Mario and the action-adventure elements of Zelda, the series is known for being remarkably mid and to date, it has sold 0 copies. It is said the only reason Sakamoto keeps making them is his intense hatred for gamers.

I thought this post was gonna say you are dipping to finally play the remake! :(

Me when Aurc likes REmake 4: :D:cool:

Me when Aurc doesn't like REmake 4:
Metroid is an action-adventure series developed by Nintendo for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1986 and still active to this day. Combining both the platforming of Mario and the action-adventure elements of Zelda, the series is known for being remarkably mid and to date, it has sold 0 copies. It is said the only reason Sakamoto keeps making them is his intense hatred for gamers.
I promise you that once I do play it, I'll catch up on this entire thread (that I made, yet ironically haven't ever been able to read through the contents of), and start posting detailed impressions of my own!

Due to some other stuff I've remained focused on, I decided it'd be best for 2023 to stay not much of a gaming year for me, but I'm glad I'll eventually be able to go through RE4's main story + Separate Ways in one go, just like back when I played the OG on PS2.

You need all this hype to not play the game?

Get on it!!
Patience is part of The Process. You wouldn't understand that, son, since you curse its very existence at each waking moment, even though it's been so helpful to so many people.

You simply don't get it. In delaying my playthrough of the highly-acclaimed remake of my #1 favorite game of all time, I'm developing a honed, monk-like discipline, the likes of which people who don't trust The Process will never be able to... well, process.

Suffering is virtuous. I am one with the pain, and I will emerge from the fires reborn. Trust The Process.

You simply don't get it. In delaying my playthrough of the highly-acclaimed remake of my #1 favorite game of all time, I'm developing a honed, monk-like discipline, the likes of which people who don't trust The Process will never be able to... well, process.
Interesting take! Meanwhile I will go play that game right now again

I promise you that once I do play it, I'll catch up on this entire thread (that I made, yet ironically haven't ever been able to read through the contents of), and start posting detailed impressions of my own!

Due to some other stuff I've remained focused on, I decided it'd be best for 2023 to stay not much of a gaming year for me, but I'm glad I'll eventually be able to go through RE4's main story + Separate Ways in one go, just like back when I played the OG on PS2.
I will only forgive you if you tell me what game you think I should play next: FF7Remake or Yakuza 0. With Yakuza I'd be picking up a save like 3 chapters in from last year, with FF7R I'd be restarting. Both games I only got a few hours in and never finished. I'm counting on your expert opinion.

Seeing all the gameplay released today as well… they really went out of their way to differentiate the expansion from the main campaign.

Expectations have been surpassed. Really curious how long this is gonna be.

I will only forgive you if you tell me what game you think I should play next: FF7Remake or Yakuza 0. With Yakuza I'd be picking up a save like 3 chapters in from last year, with FF7R I'd be restarting. Both games I only got a few hours in and never finished. I'm counting on your expert opinion.
FF7R is good and all, but... Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games ever. I don't wanna build it up too much, since it may not resonate with you on quite the level it did with me (and that'd be okay), but I'd describe it as a masterpiece, and I don't throw that word around casually.

Back in 2017, I was deeply depressed, and in a huge gaming slump, but Yakuza 0 was ultimately what pulled me out of it. I'd never previously played Yakuza, and here was a game that felt fresh and interesting in a way I'd never experienced before. It was comedic, yet also emotionally heartfelt, featuring a game world filled with interesting little things to see and do, and a gripping narrative packed with compelling characters and unexpected turns.

One of my definite GOATs, right behind Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

If you're continuing a save from last year, and you're still that early in, I'd recommend just restarting. Up to you though! I think I've made my case. If you do pick it back up, I hope you enjoy it.

FF7R is good and all, but... Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games ever. I don't wanna build it up too much, since it may not resonate with you on quite the level it did with me (and that'd be okay), but I'd describe it as a masterpiece, and I don't throw that word around casually.

Back in 2017, I was deeply depressed, and in a huge gaming slump, but Yakuza 0 was ultimately what pulled me out of it. I'd never previously played Yakuza, and here was a game that felt fresh and interesting in a way I'd never experienced before. It was comedic, yet also emotionally heartfelt, featuring a game world filled with interesting little things to see and do, and a gripping narrative packed with compelling characters and unexpected turns.

One of my definite GOATs, right behind Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

If you're continuing a save from last year, and you're still that early in, I'd recommend just restarting. Up to you though! I think I've made my case. If you do pick it back up, I hope you enjoy it.
OK! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll start playing it soon, then. Fair warning: I'm not good with singleplayer games with a lot of gameplay interruptions usually. When I started Yakuza 0 last year, that was actually my second time starting the game and only getting a few chapters in (happens a lot with games, doesn't necessarily mean much). So I'm just saying I can't promise I'll beat it. But I've really been feeling like playing it recently, so you definitely helped convince me. Thanks!

Good lord that Separate Ways trailer

I’ll be playing RE 4 Remake again this October… together with Tears of the Kingdom the absolute GOATS

How good is the DLC? I'm probably going to finish some games I've started first (Doom 2016, Yakuza 0, FE Engage) before getting to it. But it looks soooo good. Impressions?

How good is the DLC? I'm probably going to finish some games I've started first (Doom 2016, Yakuza 0, FE Engage) before getting to it. But it looks soooo good. Impressions?
I've been curious too. People were going bananas over just the trailer, and I wanna know if Separate Ways is now comparable to the main game in quality. The original definitely wasn't, it was rather mid. A haphazard asset flip, roughly speaking. Era has a pretty big OT for this, but I'm not willing to risk getting spoiled.

Separate Ways was great. Definitely an improvement over the original, which was already solid back then (expansions obviously weren't as big of a thing). Ada's direction is definitely really weird at times but the actress isn't bad. The new Wesker, while the 5 version is iconic, is really growing on me. I'm super excited to see him ham it up in an inevitable 5 remake. But yeah, just a wonderfully paced 4-6 hour adventure that expands on the main campaign in a really fun way. Lots of new stuff and lots of moments fans of the original will find very familiar.

Honestly, RE has killed it for the most part DLC/expansion wise for the main series, so it's not a surprise that they continued to impress here as well.

Back
Top Bottom