• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Rate the Direct (02/09 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 4,257847534 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

From 1 to 5 starts - Rate the Direct - 09/02 Edition)

• 1 star

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 186 41.7%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 198 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guaraná

Paratroopa
Ok, let's start something here, let's rate the Direct.
The poll will be closed after 24 hours because I don't want rational votes, I want people to vote with passion.

Your vote is secret, so no one will judge your poor choices.

Solid 4/5

Some great surprises, revivals and sequels along with some less than stellar looking content that seems a bit rushed.

They announced they're giving me 48 new Mario Kart courses basically for free

How could this be anything short of 5 stars

Was hoping they'd show off the Genealogy remake, but what we got was very good--4/5.

Incredible Direct, especially since they mainly focused on the first half of the year. 5/5 for me.

I would have given it a 9/10, so I'll round up to 5 stats. Really the only miss was not having another mainline FE to announce alongside the second Warriors spin off. Maybe it's being saved for E3 since it's a 2023 title though.

Cross post from official thread:

My review:
Positive:
  • Shitloads of out of nowhere announcements: Portal, No Man's Sky, Live A Live, Front Mission...
  • Klonoa!!!
  • Xeno 3 has great character designs. Rot in hell Rex!
  • Mario Strikers returns!!!
  • SD Gundam! Localized! I missed these series...
  • No new cloud announcement thank god.

Negative:
  • Everything is summer. April - May don't have enough releases...
  • Three Houses musou? I thought it was the last time I saw those three doofuses faces. Do not want. I still have Touken Ranbu.
  • None of the heavily rumored stuff made any appearance: Goldeneye, Batman, Alan Wake, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy Pixel, Remnant, Biomutant....
  • Where the hell is Sega and Capcom?
  • Star Wars is the wii version...
  • Switch Sports might be motion control only...
  • Few low quality games. Gameloft is still around?
  • Just Earthbound as NSO drops? I wanted more...
  • Not enough shadowdrops...
7/10. I still hope we'll get Batman, Tactics Ogre and Alan Wake reveals soon.

Personally for me, worst direct of the Switch era by far. Possibly the worst direct overall but I'd have to look back at some Wii U ones to make that call and I don't feel like it.

honestly i'd say 5 even taking into account that I was expecting and wanting a fire emblem game and got the trolly warriors announcement instead

xenoblade and mario kart are things I care about a lot, the Kirby game is looking good enough that i'll probably end up buying it which was something I was on the fence about, and there's that wii sports thing and some remakes of old games i've never played that I might end up getting at some point depending on my mood

4 stars.

In terms of quantity, this was the best Direct ever. We got 4 separate first party announcements all for this year, plenty of DLC and other games like Advance Wars and Kirby look even better than before.

But some of the actual reveals were underwhelming. FE Warriors instead of real FE, Splatoon trailer is boring, Mario Kart tracks are just ripped from Tour, and even stuff like Strikers and Wii Sports are a bit off even though they look very good. Plus nothing was a huge megaton announcement like an EPD game. I would still put this in the high tier for Directs though.

It needed something to the tune of a (Re-)Prime/Prime 4 reveal to have gotten that 5 star from me.

But it was really good for a Direct that only talked about the first half of the year! Nice surprises, what was shown of already announced games was cool.

Zelda, Metroid or Bayonetta were absent, and the Direct was great, that means this is one of the most solid directs ever, imagine if they included one of those three.

Pros: the quantity and the quality of everything announced.
Cons: no Bayo 3, no Zelda, no Prime
This is like the first time ever they really kept to their guns on a timeframe though. Outside of Xenoblade 3 everything is Summer 2022 or earlier, not counting some dlc stuff. Clearly Metroid Prime Remake, BotW2, Bayo 3, and the next mainline Fire Emblem are all second half 2022 or 2023 games.

4/5 for me it was really good.

Now had it opened with a Mario Musou instead? Then 5 stars easy.

A Solid 4, great febuary direct tho some people probably more than RPGs which is understanable. They usually keep the big stuff for Summer or September

5 stars for me. Loved it. Only personal disappointment is Fire Emblem Warriors. Got my hopes up a bit on that one and regret getting invested in rumors, unfortunately. Lots of stuff I really want to play, though. Kirby, Triangle Strategy, Front Mission, Live A Live, and Xenoblade 3 are all basically guaranteed 1st day buys for me. Interested in some of the other stuff too like Klonoa and Mario Strikers.

I'm pretty tepid on it. Sometimes the announcements just don't align, I suppose. Way too RPG-heavy for its own good, imo.

But hey, both Portal games are on Switch, and apparently Square is remaking Front Mission. Can't complain.

• None of the heavily rumored stuff made any appearance: Goldeneye, Batman, Alan Wake, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy Pixel, Remnant, Biomutant....
  • Where the hell is Sega and Capcom?
Yeah, on retrospect this is what dragged it down for me. Alan Wake was rated ages ago, what's taking so long?

I'm gonna forget things, but I was really invested in a lot of what was shown.

Mario Strikers, Xeno 3, Live A Live and Front Mission remakes, new Mario Kart 8 courses, new Wii Sports, Klonoa is back...Overall a great showing for me. I might've cried a bit seeing Klonoa and Xeno 3.

After all that Fire Emblem hype, getting another Warriors game instead is the lamest thing that could have happened

3 Stars, only because Mario Kart and Xenoblade carried the whole thing

5/5 for me for sure, Kirby looks great and of course .... we know... that last game reveal was beyond epic.

The only thing that let it down for me was Fire emblem but in hindsight I don’t need a new Fire emblem this year as there’s so many tactic games coming out this year already. There were at least half a dozen day one purchases for me here so I have to give it 5 stars.

Middle of the road Direct for me, so 3 stars.

Had a ton of good stuff, lots that caught me off guard and that I really liked. Never expected Nintendo Switch Sports and actively didn't want a new Mario Strikers until I saw it. Sadly, Fire Emblem Warriors dragged it down considerably to the point where it hurt my enjoyment of the rest of the Direct. Had it been a mainline strategy FE this would have been an easy 5/5 for me.

• Fire Emblem Warriors: No Hopes for me getting one I want
  • Advance Wars is cool
  • NEW MARIO STRIKERS LET'S GO
  • Splatoon 3 is cool
  • Star Wars Force Unleashed on Wii was awesome, so I'll most likely get it on Switch
  • New Kirby is always good
  • KLONOA LET'S GO
  • Portal is cool
  • Switch Sports is ok, don't like the new style too much
  • New Taiko looks cool
  • GetsuFuma Den shadowdrop is cool
  • Fine, I'll buy Mario Kart 8
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3, meh, I liked when the games looked different visually, and the settings and stories were different, it probably won't be bad, but I'm not excited at all for this one

I guess a solid 7, so between 3 and 4 stars.

Yeah, on retrospect this is what dragged it down for me. Alan Wake was rated ages ago, what's taking so long?
TBH it's only been 3 months, there have been games that released 2 years after they got rated so now we're playing the waiting game.

Borderlands 3 first, I guess.

FEW:TH (that acronym is too close to the original game) and Xenoblade 3 hard carried the Direct for me in terms of reveals. But those (XC3 in particular) were some really damn good reveals, the Kirby trailer was solid and there's a good enough spread of stuff otherwise that I can't be too disappointed. 4/5

I rated it based only on the games that are personally interesting to me. There were basically none, save mild interest in Mario Kart. I love Klonoa but I've played the games too recently. Everyone is in for a huge treat with those, especially 2.

So for me it's a 1, and "objectively" it's a 3, and for some people I can totally understand why it's a 5.

Personally disappointed not to see Pikmin, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, DK, Zelda, Good-Feel, Pushmo, Captain Toad, additional Kirby anniversary games, Dr. Mario World, Mario & Luigi, or Just Icarus.

5/5 this was one of the all time best Directs. Right in line and even exceeded my expectations.

At least 16 of those games I’m getting and really excited about. Xenoblade 3 fully delivered the hype, Mario Kart 8 Booster pass is beyond incredible, and the endless parade of JRPGs and strategy games sealed the deal. A new Mario Strikers and Switch Sports were wonderful surprises too.

E3 will belong to Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Bayonetta. It’s gonna be awesome!

Wish we had Goldeneye, Metroid and/or BOTW2 but it still exceeded my expectations. So many games I wanna get from this Direct. An easy 8/10, **** stars for me.

I'd give it a 5/5 just for the Portal games alone but in all seriousness it was very solid. Just needed ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess if nothing else.

It was a meaty direct, but had nothing for me personally.

I'm keen for Splatoon 3, but this direct didn't move the needle on that. No mainline Fire Emblem anytime soon is super disappointing. Mario Kart DLC was a surprise, but my friends and I have long since lost interest in Kart. We barely played 8, let alone 8 Deluxe. I didn't expect BotW 2 news, but I thought they'd at least acknowledge it. If that doesn't make 2022, then it's going to be a quiet year for my Switch again.

I gave it five, but that's because the correct option, of fifty stars, wasn't in the poll.

What a brilliant direct. So much that I want. The only things I'm not interested in are those Disney games and Force Unleashed - the latter because I've played it on both home console and portable already.

I'm a bit worried that NMS might not run well, like The Outer Worlds, but if it's a half-decent port, I'll grab it. It's perfect for long portable sessions.

4/5. The biggest megaton was of course XC3 and I could’ve used another equally exciting one, but looking back on if it just leaves me feeling good about this year and the switch’s continued support. MK8 DLC got me a lot of goodwill for Nintendo even if it’s not megaton hype.

Some crossposting from ERA:

The thing about this direct is that it makes me so confident in the rest of the year.

This was the closest Nintendo has adhered to the “focus” in a while. Xenoblade 3 was the ONLY first party game announced after the first half of the year. And the direct was still packed, I almost didn’t notice. Bayonetta and BotW2 weren’t shown because they were already announced games that are coming in the SECOND half. Xeno 3 just needed to be announced.

What does this mean? Well. Nintendo has no big Christmas game announced. It would’ve been announced here. None of the big games have waited til E3 (Odyssey, Smash and the Pokémon’s were all announced in the first half of the year). Point being - I fully believe this is evidence that they view BotW2 as their heavy hitter late Oct/November game. Bayonetta 3 is primed for August or early October, like how Astral Chain was end of August.

Normally directs shut down hopes and dreams - this one just left the door wide open for both of these games that people have been fearing are delayed. It subtly told us that as of now, Nintendo still plans them for this year.

Xenoblade, Front Mission, Chrono Cross, No Man's Sky, Earthbound, massive Mario Kart 8 update, Splatoon, many interesting collection of classic games, even the Wii Sports spiritual sequel... Amazing Direct and more amazing that it delivered without showing the big guns (Zelda, Bayonetta, Metroid Prime...). Next Digital Event + Tree House is gonna be busy! 5/5

Zelda, Metroid or Bayonetta were absent, and the Direct was great, that means this is one of the most solid directs ever, imagine if they included one of those three.
This. None of my MAJOR franchises showed up and I still loved its breadth, variety, and quality of what was shown. 9/10, so I rounded up to 5 stars. A 10/10 would've included Metroid Prime HD and maybe had a mainline FE or remake instead of Warriors (doesn't affect me though bc I don't care about Fire Emblem)

So many genuinely surprising announcements, and there wasn't the usual filler stretch in the middle that a lot of directs have. Not every new game announcement was a megaton for me, but this was easily one of my favorite directs of the Switch era. My only real disappoint was not getting a solid release date for Splatoon 3, but Xenoblade 3 coming sooner than I expected more than made up for it.

Solid 3.5 - 4 / 5.

One of the better directs, though a lot of the third party announcements were ports or remasters (which is cool, especially for titles like Live A Live or Front Mission, but I’d love some new IPs announced for Switch from third parties).

Personal highlights:
  • XC3
  • Mario Strikers Battle League
  • GetsuFumaDen
  • Live A Live

4 stars. If Zelda was present it would be a 5 stars for sure. Imo the best direct in some time. I lot of stuff I didn't see coming.

EDIT: The main problem was them hinting that Zelda would be shown again some time later when they meant 1 year later. So there was a lot of expectation preventing me from enjoying it at the fullest.

Last edited:

Xenoblade 3, 48 new mario kart tracks, Fire Embkemn Warriors, Live a Live, Mario Strikers, etc.

I wish we could have gotten a proper Mainline Fire Emblem though, maybe next year.

Sub-mediocre 2/5 for my tastes. Too many JRPGs without enough new Western stuff or Nintendo IPs that I'm into to offset it. Nintendo's got a very thin 2022 for me, unfortunately. Hopefully, it'll pick up for me in the back half of the year.

A solid 4/5 for me. I thought it was very enjoyable and there were a lot of great surprises. I would say this is the best non-E3 Direct we have gotten in quite a while.

5/5. It was absolutely fantastic. One of the best digital shows ever from any gaming company.

3/5.

It's pretty decent, but I feel like the first party stuff was a bit eh. Switch Sports could be good, but I havent played Wii Sports in a long time so I have no idea if I'd still like it. Mario Strikers looks good ... but ... people said the same about Aces, and Golf, and then those ended up disappointing people, and I didn't find what I played of Aces too interesting to be honest.

8 Deluxe's DLC looks really, really good. Xenoblade 3 looked ok, but Xenoblade 2, while good, was nowhere near as good as 1 imo. Some of the art issues still seem present in 3, even if it looks more consistent this time.

Three Hopes looks like such a waste of time, though.

Ultimately the third party stuff ended up being my favorite stuff, which isn't necessarily bad, but considering there was no mainline FE, no Prime, no BOTW2, and that Xenoblade 3 didn't knock my socks off it makes the first party reveals look a bit eh in my opinion. Again, I suppose in retrospect how good this stuff is, because I'm a bit unsure on games like Mario Strikers or Xenoblade 3, rather than completely uninterested.

The third party announcements ... Klonoa 1+2 and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed are so hype, and Live Alive and Chrono Cross look cool.

5 Stars.

Mario Kart 8 DLC (enough courses for a whole new game, and keeping the Smash reveal excitement alive)

M.F. SWITCH SPORTS (wondering if Emily/Nate were teasing this all along...?)

Splatoon 3, Kirby, Advance Wars, Triangle Strategy, Mario Strikers (Surprise!), FE 3 Hopes (pleasant surprise) all looking fantastic.

Crazy remakes/remasters (LIVEALIVE!, Chrono Cross, Front Mission 1/2, Klonoa 1/2)

Interesting Ports (Portal 1/2; No Man's Sky; some Jedi bullshit)

Earthbound/Earthbound Beginning on NSO FINALLY. Censored Mother 3 incoming...?

Xenoblade 3 was the big one for me. I have 400 hours in Xenoblade 1/2. My most anticipated game alongside Elden Ring, and of course BOTW2 if it's really 2022.

Even without new 3D Mario, 3D DK, Metroid Prime Remake, BOTW2, I was smiling ear to ear throughout.

God help us all when they unleash those first-party monsters on us.

Back
Top Bottom