• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Rate the Direct (02/09 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 4,257847534 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

From 1 to 5 starts - Rate the Direct - 09/02 Edition)

• 1 star

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 186 41.7%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 198 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4.5 / 5.

Overall it was really solid Direct, more games ready with release date than i thought, Spring-Summer is packed. It leaves the door open for Fall 2022 which i expect to have Bayonetta 3.

Top 3
  • LIVE A LIVE, I wanted to play this for so long. It's absolutely shocking that not only it's finally coming over after almost 30 years, but it's getting the full remake treatment in HD-2D ( i love that style).
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3, this is the series that brought me back into JRPGs after a long time so i'm already heavily attached to it. In this third installment i can see some big improvements with the character designs, story wise looks like it'll be full of references from the first two games, and returning characters. I'm still hoping for a return to the full open world and playable mecha but the semi-open structure of 1-2 worked fine. Also surprising it's coming so soon.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land, it's both the 3D Kirby we always wanted and the Odyssey sequel we never got. Mouthful Mode looks very silly and a bit weird (does it really need Cone Mouth when he already has the needle ability?), but the game looks great.

Ok 3
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it makes so much sense to continue supporting this game people are still buying, and the amount of contents make it clear, 9 isn't coming anytime soon.
  • Switch Sports, I like how it looks, i like that it is bringing back the Wii vibes, with the music, with the motion controls, and the price seems fair. I also like that they'll do the network test to improve the online experience. Maybe the list of minigames seems a little short for now? hopefully they'll add more even beyond the Golf mode.
  • Earthbound on Nintendo Switch Online, i've never played it before, again i wanted it for so long, so this will be the perfect opportunity for me. Also loved the shadowdrop.

Bottom 3
  • Chrono Cross, i know you're probably looking at me weird: this is one of those legendary Square games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI that deserve better than a simple upscale or a "pixel remaster". it looks like they didn't even fix the frame rate.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes - Not that the game looks bad, it actually could be very fun to play, but i was hoping in a proper sequel keeping the gameplay of the mainline series rather than this. I also find a bit weird how much they're pushing musou on Switch despite the performance issues.
  • Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece for Cloud - I can understand 3 being cloud but the other two could have been native releases. Technically not new, we knew it but it's still shitty.

Bonus note: Mario Strikers looks great but from a football fan, the armors look so stupid.

Last edited:
This Direct is a 4.5/5 for me, but I voted 5 since Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is such a big announcement for me.

Day 1:
Xenoblade 3
Kirby
Mario Kart DLC
Triangle Strategy
Splatoon 3

Interested, will probably buy:
Switch Sports
Advance Wars
Mario Strikers
Live A Live
Portal 1 & 2

On the fence:
Chrono Cross
FE Warriors

Probably Skipping:
Kingdom Hearts
Earthbound (got it on Wii U)
No Man’s Sky
Other stuff I don’t remember

Hi all, long time lurker from Era. :)

Personally, this one did very little for me. 1 seems harsh, but I'll give it a 2. If it wasn't for Kirby and my overwhelming love of Advance Wars, there'd be almost nothing to my taste. (And I'm still not 100% sold on the art style for AW - I was a huge fan of the original spritework. The remastered music offsets that though, very excited for the OST)

Dread DLC had me excited until it was detailed - it's not very substantial (as others have pointed out, a 0% run is already 'Dread Mode'). I had really hoped for a side campaign/scenario or similar.

I'm happy this one ticked a lot of boxes for a lot of people, but I think the Summer "E3" time direct will be a lot more my speed. Really hope to see Prime HD and some more news on Prime 4. Until then I'll just be waiting to put some time into Kirby and Re-Boot Camp.

Honestly, between the pacing and caliber of the announcements, I can say without question this is my all-time favorite Direct.

Even looking at it more "objectively," I can't see this getting anything less than a 4/5 (8/10). For me, though? I couldn't ask for more.

After some very precise and impossible-to-be-wrong-math I declare that this Direct was rated as 4,257847534 stars.

STOP THE COUNT!
Niiiiice.

For all those who were disappointed with the Direct I have a good feeling the Summer Direct will be more your speed

(Unless you’re looking for F-zero. RIP brother)

Speaking of F-Zero, do you all think we might get at least one game before the Switch is retired that is purely a love letter to fans? By that a mean a niche franchise that isn't guaranteed to sell well, hopefully breaking even financially, but the developers pour their hearts into, and Nintendo publishes as a sort of thank you to gamers for making the Switch such a massive success?

Sin & Punishment 3 perhaps, or a new Wave Race or even Star Fox all come to mind.

Speaking of F-Zero, do you all think we might get at least one game before the Switch is retired that is purely a love letter to fans? By that a mean a niche franchise that isn't guaranteed to sell well, hopefully breaking even financially, but the developers pour their hearts into, and Nintendo publishes as a sort of thank you to gamers for making the Switch such a massive success?

Sin & Punishment 3 perhaps, or a new Wave Race or even Star Fox all come to mind.
Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo has any interest in F-Zero, they're all in on Mario Kart now because it's a cash cow. They probably figure making another racer would dilute sales.

I'd love another Waverace though.

I don’t think Nintendo is interested to make internally a new F-Zero game. I’m also including here their second party studios like next level games or hal laboratory.

it can happen only if some external developer pitches the idea to them and they approved it, kinda what happen with advance wars 1+2 and wayfoward.

in a dream world scenario, they would give Sega’s RGG studio the chance to make a new F-Zero game (sharing elements with Yakuza titles so we would see Captain Falcon punching others in futuristic streets, like a mix of Fast and Furious with F-Zero cast lol xD).

But being a little more realistically, I can see remastering F-Zero GX adding online play.

I'm definitely hopeful that because the Switch seemingly has plenty of life left in it, that Nintendo are able to return to some neglected franchises over the next 2-3 years. StarFox, Donkey Kong and Pikmin in particular could do with some unique Switch instalments. I agree that with the Switch still selling gangbusters there's the opportunity to pull out a couple of obscure fan favs from the back catalogue, similar to what we've seen with Advance Wars

I don’t think Nintendo is interested to make internally a new F-Zero game. I’m also including here their second party studios like next level games or hal laboratory.

it can happen only if some external developer pitches the idea to them and they approved it, kinda what happen with advance wars 1+2 and wayfoward.

in a dream world scenario, they would give Sega’s RGG studio the chance to make a new F-Zero game (sharing elements with Yakuza titles so we would see Captain Falcon punching others in futuristic streets, like a mix of Fast and Furious with F-Zero cast lol xD).

But being a little more realistically, I can see remastering F-Zero GX adding online play.
I didn't know Advance Wars was Wayforward's idea. Interesting.

I thought it was okay. Too many old games. Remaster here, remake there - it even made the late third party ports stick out negatively. At least Nintendo themselves didn't announce a Wii U port and AW1+2 was essentially only shown because of the delay.

The most hype announcement to me was XC3. There were some other nice ones, like NSWS or FEW2, but those I can wait on.

Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo has any interest in F-Zero, they're all in on Mario Kart now because it's a cash cow. They probably figure making another racer would dilute sales.

I'd love another Waverace though.
I don't think it's a question of interest but priorities and the market.

Racers aren't as bankable these days , and maybe Nintendo is wrong about this. Mario Kart has nothing to do with F-Zero as their appeal is very different. One is a more fun and casual multiplayer racer while F-Zero was known for its single player , high speeds, difficulty and futuristic settings.

They could very easily make an F-Zero with the MK8 engine. But I think if we ever see F-Zero again, it will be going through the advance wars route and developed by an outside studio.

I thought it was okay. Too many old games. Remaster here, remake there - it even made the late third party ports stick out negatively. At least Nintendo themselves didn't announce a Wii U port and AW1+2 was essentially only shown because of the delay.

The most hype announcement to me was XC3. There were some other nice ones, like NSWS or FEW2, but those I can wait on.
That's one way to see it, but the remakes were hyped or unexpected , not really the same as them remaking a game and everyone rolling their eyes.

I don't think it's a question of interest but priorities and the market.

Racers aren't as bankable these days , and maybe Nintendo is wrong about this. Mario Kart has nothing to do with F-Zero as their appeal is very different. One is a more fun and casual multiplayer racer while F-Zero was known for its single player , high speeds, difficulty and futuristic settings.

They could very easily make an F-Zero with the MK8 engine. But I think if we ever see F-Zero again, it will be going through the advance wars route and developed by an outside studio.

That's one way to see it, but the remakes were hyped or unexpected , not really the same as them remaking a game and everyone rolling their eyes.
That's the problem. F-Zero is too niche. No reason to make a new one when they can put all their priorities into Mario Kart.

Back
Top Bottom