• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Rate the Direct (02/09 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 4,257847534 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

From 1 to 5 starts - Rate the Direct - 09/02 Edition)

• 1 star

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 47 10.5%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 186 41.7%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 198 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I put 5/5, but I’d rate it a 9/10.

Everything barring the Disney racing game and Lego Brawl looked cool-must buy. (And even those seem fun for fans of those properties.)

Very very solid for a console that’s 5 years into its life.

3/5

Some of the Kart tracks look reaaaallly phoned in. I’m a fan of the MK series, but I feel like these tracks aren’t getting the same attention as the main MK8D.

The Metroid update was like “it’s nothing?”

Splatoon 3 is probably my most anticipated announced game outside of BotW, but this didn’t move the needle.

I also personally don’t need ports of a bunch of older titles like Portal.

Live A Live looks fantastic, and this was the sleeper hit for me.

Kirby looks good even for a non big Kirby guy.

Not a Warriors fan so FE was whatever.

We already knew about Octopath so just ok. I didn’t need to see more to know I’m interested.

Xeno 3 is cool in theory, but the handheld performance of 2 has me skeptical. I’d love to play both of these game on a new Switch model with a patch.

Mother 1 was cool, but I personally don’t need to play Earthbound again.

No Ninidies.

Strikers looks cool. So does Switch Sports. They were kinda what I expected, but still cool. I’m not sure how much I’d play either MP wise though.

3 stars. Most of it was reaally fantastic but Switch Sports has soured me HARD. I waited so long for a new Wii Sports game and this just looks like an embarrassment to it's legacy.

All I wanted was the Batman Collection and the FF Pixel Remaster Collection and I got neither.

However, Mario Strikers was a fucking GOOOOOLAZOOOOO... AZOOOAZOOAZO!!

That was a great moment for me, and I got my XC3. Idk really. I literally just watched it, too. Gut feeling, it probably didn't live up to the hype. Since I'm in a good mood - 3/5. If someone gave it a two, I'd certainly understand.

Best Direct in a few years. I audibly yelled when Mario Strikers and Nintendo Switch Sports showed up. Two of my favorite Nintendo franchises. Everything else was gray. Wish Batman was there but that can come later.

Five A Five

I expected nothing, but I went in wearing my Good Time Hat and had a great time. Live A Live! Klonoa! Kirby looks great!

Live A Live!!!

Solid 4 stars. I honestly didn’t expect anything out of this direct, a lot of the insider talk was about boring stuff like Fire Emblem, Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3. While those were present there was still a bunch of surprises that made it worthwhile. 2021 was pretty big for me and the eshop had huge sales so I really don’t mind not having any other game to buy day 1 in the coming months.

Highlights for me include:

- New Mario Strikers, thought it made sense for them to release a new one this year. Surprised they are actually doing it. Sure you can nitpick about the art style looking slightly off, or how it will most definitely launch with not a lot of content just like the other Mario sports games on Switch. Strikers is still pretty special and probably the best out of them so this might be worth getting

- No Man’s Sky, huge surprise. Sure you could say it’s late or whatever but the game looks good, ought to shut the “aging archaic hardware that limits the devs” discourse for a bit. While I don’t like how every game ever has crafting now I’m open to try that one because it’s in space. It’s also apparently one of the best examples of turnarounds/post launch support in a game

- Portal collection, another huge surprise. Zoomers don’t know how good Valve are at actually making games. Only played 1 on PS3, very hyped to play 2. Hoping for gyro support, I remember a segment in the first being pretty annoying to do with a controller

- Klonoa collection, always wanted to try that series

- Square Enix still doing hard on their SNES/PS1 remasters, hopefully we see stuff like FF Pixel, Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile someday

- New Taiko let’s gooooooooooooooo

Stronge 4 to light 5. Solid RPG announcements, xenoblade and fire emblem games, Mario kart being supported throughout 2023. For me, the best direct since 2019.

5/5. My wallet gently weeps while my inner child is through the roof. Thank you Nintendo, I feel seen.

3 and a half stars. Some really great announcements but nothing crazy amazing for me. Super solid direct but could have used one more really big surprise like a new DK or something like that to elevate it.

1/5. Nothing in there for me, I'm mainly looking towards Prime 1 remake. New Punch-Out!! and Wario Land games at some point would also be dope.

If I step back and look at the Direct objectively, it's a 5/5. There were loads of huge titles announced. And what's crazy is Nintendo probably still has another half-dozen or so big announcements coming this year.

Let's see... some Splt 3, lot of cool rpg, lovely Kirby, Switch Sports (and thankfully, with Golf)!, MK8 DLCs ... X3. I'm good. It was good. very good. 4/5.

I think on balance its 4.5/5.

If you are "Zelda/MarioMetroid or bust" its like a 3/5.

If you like JRPGs its a 6/5.

If you await announcement of the next Waverace in tandem with Persona 5 and 6 with bated breath, and thats it, its a 1/5.

No Goldeneye and BotW2 keep it from foam-inducing heights, but man there was a ton in there for me, personally.
Especially for a February Direct (this is meant to cover the "slow part" of the year!).

Last edited:
4/5. A new Mario Strikers, 48 new courses for MK8D (i'm an Expansion Pack subscriber already), more Kirby, Dread updates, Earthbound on base NSO, Chrono Cross, Xenoblade 3 (which is now my most awaited game by a considerable margin)... not to mention third party stuff like Klonoa and Portal (i'll finally play Portal 2 yesss). It was a great Direct for me. I thought the chances of a BOTW2 appearence were small, the game is bound to an E3 blowout with a huge Treehouse segment and everything. I understand people who were disappointed with its absence, but i frankly don't need it this year.The two things that left me kinda disappointed were Fire Emblem being a musou game and the fact that i probably won't have much fun playing Switch Sports on my Lite unless i buy some joycons lol.

EDIT: When you think about it, Zelda's complete absence from the Direct makes it even more likely that BOTW2 will come out this year...

Last edited:
4 Stars... LOTS of content (Kirby, Xeno 3, MK8 DLC, Mario Strikers).

5 stars is only available when Silksong is announced (again) in a Direct... xD...

Disappointed about no DK of course, but I enjoyed it overall. Klonoa collection, Live A Live, Switch Sports, Xenoblade 3, Chrono Cross, Kirby, Speedstorm, Mario Kart DLC, and Mario Strikers are all pretty exciting to me. Hoping to see Diddy and the DK crew in Kart and Strikers.

How did you like it?
Bit of a bummer for me, posted more here - https://famiboards.com/threads/rate-the-direct-02-09-edition.1922/post-151912
You're gonna love Klonoa though if either are new to you. I'm so glad more people will get to play Klonoa 2. And I suppose if I wasn't on media blackout for Kirby since the initial trailer I'd surely have loved whatever was shown from it.

5/5. Easily the best Direct ever created.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes. If the framerate is good this will be awesome
  • No Man's Sky!
  • Holy fucking shit Mario Strikers
  • KIRBYYYYYYYYY
  • Switch Sports let's fucking goooo
  • Metroid Dread DLC
  • MARIO KART DLC LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 looks pretty good
The only thing that was meh was the Splatoon 3 showing. No campaign footage. Wonder why we didn't get a month when Xenoblade comes out after it and that got a release month, makes me worried about a potential delay (maybe if BOTW2 isn't ready?).

Bit of a bummer for me, posted more here - https://famiboards.com/threads/rate-the-direct-02-09-edition.1922/post-151912
You're gonna love Klonoa though if either are new to you. I'm so glad more people will get to play Klonoa 2. And I suppose if I wasn't on media blackout for Kirby since the initial trailer I'd surely have loved whatever was shown from it.
I loved Klonoa on Wii. Looks like this one is a more faithful facelift of the first game on PSX, plus 2. I haven't played 2, but always wanted to. The game was unfortunately always too rare or costly. Lucky for me, this exist.

4/5 for me. Lots of solid announcements and some pretty great ones (Xenoblade 3 was the highlight for me), pretty much equivalent to E3 in terms of the number of titles covered, which is wild for February, but for me a 5/5 needs a little more "oomph" like a mainline core franchise announcement on the level of Zelda/Mario etc. I was hoping to see the next Fire Emblem (tactical) entry, but I can't deny they packed those 40 minutes with a bunch of content (and didn't even have time to cover all the games coming out in the next few months, since there are some on my "to buy" list that weren't mentioned), and I love the time spent on 90's/00's RPGs - it reminded me of the SNES days, which was such a great platform for a diverse, creative lineup of unique RPGs. It's been a weak point for the last few generations, so it's great to see a Nintendo platform (re) emerge as an RPG powerhouse.

I fully believed the mainline FE rumors so I was a bit thrown off by the Warriors announcement, but it rebounded quickly with the Strikers announcement. Kirby and Triangle Strategy still look good, Earthbound coming to NSO is great, some cool third party stuff here and there. And of course, Mario Kart getting 48 NEW TRACKS!?!?!? Sign me up!

I'm not currently interested in Splatoon or Xenoblade so those didn't really do anything for me. Switch sports looks neat though! Not sure how much I will play the Dread update, but it's cool that they're doing it! Basically, it seemed that for everything I didn't care for, there was something else that I really liked. Probably one of the better directs of the switch era for me.

I voted 4/5 -- really solid showing, and the first half of 2022 is loaded compared to other years. It was pretty RPG heavy, however; I could see how that would leave some people disappointed. If it was a little more well-rounded, I would have given it a 5/5. I hope the next one is even better!

I loved Klonoa on Wii. Looks like this one is a more faithful facelift of the first game on PSX, plus 2. I haven't played 2, but always wanted to. The game was unfortunately always too rare or costly. Lucky for me, this exist.
I'm legit happy for you! Klonoa 2 is so good. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it. I hope they throw in an extra mode or two as an incentive for repeat purchasers. I have to say Klonoa 2 looks gorgeous here.

5 star just in classic games alone:

• Earthbound games
  • Klonoa 1/2
  • Chrono Cross plus radical dreamers
  • Live A Live
  • Front Mission 1/2
  • GetsuFumaDen shadow drop
  • Portal 1/2

Gave me at least five games that I’ll be sure to buy, so I’m gonna give one star for each game haha. And I’m someone who’s not gonna get FEW3H and XB3.

I wish it was on a ten point scale. I voted 4/5 but would have given it 9 out of 10.

9/10, xenoblade 3 and massive mk8 dlc were the big takeaways for me but there were other good things too (mario strikers, Kirby stuff looks cool, front mission, live a live), only reason it's not a 10 is because there wasn't any major surprises for me (blade 3 has been an open secret since 2020). My only disappointment was that the FE game was another musou after rumors of a new game/remake

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 reveal was great
And new Mario Strikers is a welcome surprise
But overall Presentation could've been so much better
S-E title dumping ground is perhaps good. Klonoa as well. But we needed more exclusive stuff.

4 stars

No Mans Sky running native on Switch is a next 3rd party buy for me, along with Portal perhaps.

Weirdness:
Forever Entertainment decided to remake Front Mission 1st and 2nd, but not other obscure S-E properties like Einhander?
Portal Collection but no Half-Life?
The Force Unleashed uses the Wii port? What?

Last edited:
I'll definitely pick the new Mario Strikers and the Portal collection

I was going to pick Kirby anyway but the new ability is funny

I guess the bigger announcement was the new Xenoblade Chronicles which looks kinda interesting but I never played the previous ones as I don't play many RPGs. I intend to give the first one a chance though.

Mostly was looking for anything Metroid Prime-related or maybe a new DK. Low-key wanted a Silksong update but not really was expecting it at this point though :p

So overall not bad, just not many titles that were my jam. I do understand people enjoyed a lot of the classics announced though. I think I'll get Klonoa too, never played them except for the GBA one 🤔

Also who I am kidding, definitely buying the forty-freaking-eight Mario Kart tracks :p

Last edited:
A solid 10/5 for me, Kirby my boi is infinite fun and infinite love ❤️
P.D. Feeling kinda high but it's all right, just came here to share my excitement and joy hahaahahaha ✨

After sleeping on it…

Solid 4/5

- Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes was my only disappointment really. The original was not bad, but nothing special either, especially compared with Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity. Guess we need to wait for for the FE 4 remake next year.

- No Mans Sky isn’t my thing. Still, pretty big to see the game on Switch.

- Mario Strikers Battle League looks like fun! Gonna buy that.

- Switch Sports was a pretty big surprise. Wonder if it will be big again.

- Square Enix is huge on Switch; Triangle Strategy, Live a Live, Front Mission remakes, Chrono Cross, Chocobo GP…

- Klonoa is cool! Force Unleashed is whatever. Those Zombie Army games, are they fun?

- Splatoon sneak peak was a bit too short. Looked good though.

- Advance Wars looks fun and better compared to its reveal.

- Kirby looks super fun.

- I laughed my ass off with the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC. Still cool though, especially with 48 tracks for € 25

- Xenoblade 3 announcement is hype, character designs look good. World looks like fun. Familiar faces return.

This was an amazing Direct. The initial disappointment at the first announcement being FE Warriors rather than a new FE game was more than made up for by the onslaught of major surprises in the rest of the Direct! I gave it 5 stars.

2 stars for me. Would be 1 star without advance wars, no man sky, metroid update and strikers. All of the above are just OK besides strikers. The rest of the direct is totally not my world. If I see anime type characters in a video game, I am out. The last jrpg I played was FFX as a kid. But that's just me.

2 stars for me. Would be 1 star without advance wars, no man sky, metroid update and strikers. All of the above are just OK besides strikers. The rest of the direct is totally not my world. If I see anime type characters in a video game, I am out. The last jrpg I played was FFX as a kid. But that's just me.
I don't get this mindset tbh. Nobody would ignore tons of games for looking like western animation, but when it's anime all the sudden you get a bunch of haters. If the characters aren't sexualized * glares at Xenoblade 2 * what's the problem?

I don't get this mindset tbh. Nobody would ignore tons of games for looking like western animation, but when it's anime all the sudden you get a bunch of haters. If the characters aren't sexualized * glares at Xenoblade 2 * what's the problem?

especially when most of nintendo's other stuff is literal cartoon mascot characters

like really? you can take something like kirby seriously but an "anime" drawing is a bridge too far?

it's just bizarre

4 Stars, but it's a high 4 stars, which is what I'd say about a lot of the post-E3 2017 directs tbh. A megaton, unanticipated announcement like a new F-Zero or Golden Sun or something would have put it over the top for 5 stars. Or a Breath of the Wild 2 blowout. Hell, maybe even if we got a new FE game that looked mindblowing instead of Three Houses Warriors.

especially when most of nintendo's other stuff is literal cartoon mascot characters

like really? you can take something like kirby seriously but an "anime" drawing is a bridge too far?

it's just bizarre
The amusing part is that Samus, Mario and the Advance Wars COs are all anime characters

Back
Top Bottom