• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews R(h)ate the Direct (June 2024, General Direct Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ -- POLL CLOSED, RESULTS ARE IN

How would you rate today's event?

• 1 star

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 63 9.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 249 38.1%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 328 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guaraná

Paratroopa
nintendo-direct.png

--- NINTENDO DIRECT ---
FAMIBOARDS REVIEW THREAD
As is tradition, voting is open to rate today's Nintendo Direct from 1 to 5 stars.

The criteria are the same as always:
  • one person, one vote;
  • cannot change the vote;
  • cannot see the result before voting;
  • voting ends in 24 hours.

REMEMBER: we don't want rational votes, we want people to vote with passion
Tomorrow, the results will be announced and the ranking will be updated. So...MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!

Current since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking:
  1. Jun 2024 Regular Direct - 4,36 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 654 votes
  2. Feb 2022 Regular Direct - 4.26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  3. Feb 2023 Regular Direct - 4.00 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 469 votes
  4. Jun 2023 Regular Direct - 3.62 stars ⭐⭐⭐417 votes
  5. Jun 2022 Partner Direct - 3.60 stars⭐⭐⭐366 votes
  6. Sep 2022 Regular Direct - 3.44 stars ⭐⭐⭐ 352 votes
  7. Feb 2024 Partner Direct - 3.03 stars ⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  8. Sep 2023 Regular Direct - 2.90 stars ⭐⭐ 512 votes

Previous Threads:

Last edited:
4 stars for me. Strong showing with variety of games, and barely any misses. Not everything is for me, and I can not comprehend Donkey Kong Country Returns Returns Returns, but sure, why not.

5 stars

Despite the lack of a new Donkey Kong game, it was a great Direct. The Switch still has a lot of gas left in the tank.

2/5

there were a few mildly interesting things but nothing i'm super excited for

lack of Fire Emblem is always a disappointment and i'm starting to genuinely wonder if those Suikoden remasters are even releasing this year at all at this point

Metroid/Donkey Kong/Mario Party all do nothing for me

i've never played a Mario and Luigi game but just looking at it i'm not really crazy about the concept of an RPG with just the two of them as a party as opposed to something like the partner system in the Paper Mario games plus I really don't like the art style

the Zelda game is sort of interesting but I don't care for chibis plus i'm not really super interested in 2D Zelda in general

Fantasian is sort of interesting but it just kinda goes on the pile of things i'm sort of interested in and might play someday, the Ace Attorney and Saga games looked interesting but I still haven't gotten around to playing Emerald Beyond yet and I still haven't gotten around to playing Ace Attorney games in general beyond the first half or so of the first game

Last edited:
5 stars, even the switch sports update was good lol. Really the only game that I didn't care for was the hobbit one

M&L
Fantasian
DKCR:HD
DQ3 Remake
DQ1-2 Remakes
Fantastic NSO drops
New 2D Zelda

And at long last - Metroid Prime 4.

Yeah I'm very pleased

I went 3 stars.
Zelda, metroid, perfect dark all soooo exciting to me... but everything else was so lame 😆 if it hadn't had zelda or metroid it'd have been a 1 from me.

Think that has to be like 3 and half outta 5?

Nothing amazing, but definitely some titles that I'll play. Ace Attorney is always a treat.

More happy by what we didn't see than what we did, DK not showing up is a blessing, I'd have been so sad to see him be stuck on Switch 1.

Hot(?) take: it was 5 stars even before Metroid Prime 4 showed up.

Absolute GOAT.

I gave it 4 stars, mostly based on gut feeling. Maybe because I'm still kinda at work, my excitement was toned down, but a ton of cool stuff:

• Mario and Luigi live
  • Perfect Dark on NSO
  • A legitimately good-looking Mario Party
  • Awesome-looking Zelda
  • Metroid Prime 4

Hard to ask for much more at this point in the Switch lifecycle

5/5

Not everything was for me, but everything looked good. Don’t want to be too mean by saying this, but usually there’s a few titles that just make me groan. Today basically avoided that entirely.

It's a 5 here.

I could have given it a 4, because outside of the first-party stuff there wasn't much for me. But the first-party stuff was unbelievable.

2 stars. Way too much useless stuff, many of the announcements were for 2025, too much focus on already revealed AND demoed games.

Worst Direct for me so far, honestly.

Objectively 5 stars, but its hard for me to not be personally upset at no Genealogy.

Absolutely fucking GOATED

Mario & Luigi returns??? Brand new 2D Zelda???? METROID FUCKING PRIME 4????

Easiest 5 stars and contender for best switch era direct.

I don't think it was a 5 stars show objectively, but the three main first-party announcements (Mario & Luigi, Zelda and Metroid) were SO good for my personal tastes that I already consider it one of the greatest Directs of the Switch era. What a way to end a generation.

Oh, and I forgot about Mario Party. That looks cool as hell too.

Absolutely incredible for an end-of-life direct, and the lineup for the year looks great now with possibility to add one or two more things in a H2 direct, plus pokemon.

Amazing close to the generation.

5 stars!
New Mario & Luigi, New 2D Zelda with playable Zelda, Dragon Quest 2D HD Trilogy, DK port & AA Investigation collection, new very nice looking Mario Party and freaking Prime4 finally being shown!

I honestly expected anything M&L we'd get would be a remake not a BRAND NEW game. Heck DK being the only port is kinda surprising, everything else first party is brand new!

Tho I will say, kind of a bummer it seems like there's no extra added (Other than the 3DS levels) to DK. Not even a funky mode or Dixie. Maybe they will show some new addition later but I kinda doubt it.

So I kinda honestly didn't particularly care about anything beyond the opener, middle and closer, but I can't look down on a Direct with MP4 and a 2D Zelda in it.

Disappointment about no new DK aside, overall that Direct was pretty good. Definitely looking forward to Mario & Luigi and Zelda. Saw too little of Prime 4 to form an opinion on it and it's 2025 anyway. I gave it 3/5.

Didn't expect this could be the case given Switch 2's shadow is already looming, but this was one of the best Switch Directs they had.

4/5

Very good, I wish we got a longer look at Prime 4 and/or it was this year, but other than that I have no complaints

Good show

Gotta go with 5 stars. I've been waiting for Marvel vs Capcom 2 return for YEARS.

Beyond that, Mario Party seems geniunely good. Mario & Luigi is back. Zelda looks awesome. Metroid Prime 4 is gorgeous. Dragon Quest 3, and 1&2, AA Investigations, Fantasian... That was too fucking good.

Between 4 and 5, going with 4 just because the third-party selection really didn't appeal to me. But holey moley... Brothership, DKCR HD, Zelda 2D starring Zelda, AND Prime 4? Are you kidding? It was a wonderful Direct. The only serious bummer to me is it killed the hopes and dreams of Prime 2 and 3.

I voted 4/5 stars. Lots of really exciting stuff (Mario and Luigi, Zelda, Metroid, SaGa remake, Danganronpa spinoff thingy, etc), but I'm honestly really salty about the lack of the alleged FE4 remake, so that drops it down a star for me lol.

Current since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking:
  1. Feb 2022 Regular Direct - 4.26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  2. Feb 2023 Regular Direct - 4.00 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐ 469 votes
  3. Jun 2023 Regular Direct - 3.62 stars⭐⭐⭐ 417 votes
  4. Jun 2022 Regular Direct - 3.60 stars⭐⭐⭐ 366 votes
  5. Sep 2022 Regular Direct - 3.44 stars⭐⭐⭐ 352 votes
  6. Feb 2024 Partner Direct - 3.03 stars⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  7. Sep 2023 Regular Direct - 2.90 stars⭐⭐ 512 votes
well, glad to break the ever decreasing score streak... guaranteed!

Like what...? They breezed past LM2 HD for example.
It shouldn't be there at all, the game coming in few days.

There were others as well. Hello Kitty a Apple Arcade crap. Metal Slug, gacha mobile shit (kind of an insult to us Metal Slug fans) Funko? Come on. They also showed the same Tales of the Shire trailer before.

4 Star
Great things shown, but nothing got me out of my seat. Kinda disappointed they showed Metroid Prime 4. Wish they kept it for Switch 2 but it was cool. I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will be the Botw for Metroid tho from the small trailer we got today.

Mario Party looks the best from what we got
Mario Luigi was a surprise
And the new Zelda looks really promising.

5 stars! It had Mario&Luigi, Fantasian, DQ1 + 2-3, Phantom Brave, 2D Zelda, AA, Hundred Line, and MP4.
Considering the Switch came out over 7 years ago, this is too good of a lineup for this year.

A strong 4 stars

Very good presentation and they do have enough for the end of the year

Prime 4 most definitely seems like a cross gen title

And i wanted my Woolly World port but will not get it sadly

Back
Top Bottom