• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews R(h)ate the Direct (June 2024, General Direct Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ -- POLL CLOSED, RESULTS ARE IN

How would you rate today's event?

• 1 star

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 63 9.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 249 38.1%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 328 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are you talking about? That was a "proper" 2D Zelda and we even saw how the combat worked in the trailer.
What we saw in the trailer is what I am not convinced about. She can not do anything besides summoning enemies to fight for her or objects to throw or block enemies. There is no dashing, blocking, long and short range combat...
By a proper 2D Zelda I meant a classical one akin to Minish Cap or Link's Awakening.

This would have been an easy 5/5

Unfortunately, the mere presence of Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD knocks it down to 3/5

/s, although I am serious that LM2HD is not impressive in the slightest

Looking over every announcement again, there was definitely a lot that went in one ear and out the other for me, but the stuff that landed was just… holy shit

-M&L has never really been my cup of tea and I really didn’t have much interest in the series returning, but Mario & Luigi Brothership is a day one purchase, it looks incredible and was such a surprise!
-New Original 2D Zelda is real?? You actually play as Zelda?? It uses the same artsyle from Links Awakening that I adore?? It comes out in a little over THREE MONTHS??
-Dragon Quest III!! I’ve been waiting for a release date for three years and it finally has one, plus I and II are on the way too!!
-A new Mario Party with a decent board count? Sign me up. Birdo is back in the roster? Double sign me up.
-Metroid Prime 4… I have no idea what people are seeing when they say that trailer was underwhelming, I was basically foaming at the mouth. The only disappointment here is that it didn’t make this year, but I will live :)
-Fantasian, DKCR HD, Hello Kitty, and Romancing SaGa 2 are all things I will be purchasing and playing ASAP, really, really neat additions to the library :)

If I had to dock points anywhere, I will say the NSO section was a massive bummer. Zero Mission is very nice to have, but the other three additions do nothing for me, and the fact that we don’t have anything mapped out for the future is a bit concerning. At the very least I wanted Smash 64 and FE Sacred Stones get thrown on a roadmap for some peace of mind, but nope, still in the dark. Also no mention of an FE4 remake makes me want to die a little, but with so many great announcements it’s easy enough to press on.

Last edited:
What we saw in the trailer is what I am not convinced about. She can not do anything besides summoning enemies to fight for her or objects to throw or block enemies. There is no dashing, blocking, long and short range combat...
By a proper 2D Zelda I meant a classical one akin to Minish Cap or Link's Awakening.
The gameplay is still classic 2D Zelda, the only difference is that Zelda has a different skill-set then Link. The game is still going to require players to traverse Hyrule and solve puzzles like previous titles.

3 stars. I'm seeing a lot of 'Best Switch Direct ever' videos recommended to me online and I know everyone has different tastes and all but I just don't get it from my side.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdowm was the only real highlight for me, with me not being interested in most of the other 'headline' announcements. Even the in-between games were a bit of a disappointment, with some looking incredibly rough (Stray, that Funk game and the Looney Tunes sports title come to mind), or just not my thing (I don't like the DQ series that much and JRPGs leave me a bit nonplussed these days)

Metroid Prime 4 looked 'okay' to me, I definitely need to see more. I don't really have a history with the series so maybe that's part of it but

For a late end direct it's a 4.5 I guess, for a general it's less, personally... 3?
Most of the third party interesting games I either already played or they are remakes. Don't care for m&l or mario party
Zelda is a 4/5 (bland designs and again that style of hyrule...)
MP4: after so long the teaser was rather save and 100% what I expected. I'm happy it's fine, it will be a great game... But after so long only next year and a teaser, not that satisfying.
Mio looks interesting.. but the trailer was to short and not enough info for a clear picture.

So for the rest of the year new releases for me are: Zelda, and depending on impressions/reviews maybe Mio or DQ3.

4 stars easy. Would've been 4 if we got a new Donkey Kong game instead of a re-release but alas.

I mean, I guess it would’ve been a 2 star Direct for me if it didn’t have games I like (a lot of the games shown don’t interest me at all). But aside from trailers from games I’d preordered already (NWC and LM2). But this Direct sold me immediately on six announcements:

• Mario & Luigi: Brothership
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
  • Super Mario Party Jamboree
  • Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
  • AA Investigations Collection
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Don’t think I’ve ever seen another showcase that immediately got me to decide to get so many games. Couldn’t be anything other than 5 stars for me, especially with the first new 2D Zelda in 11 years and MP4 emerging out of dev hell after 7 years. The rest is glorious icing, but the biggest Mario Party ever is definitely also up there with the most exciting releases this generation, especially with it being a game I can play with my wife and children.

Last edited:
I'm pretty impressed that Nintendo had this many new games coming the last year of the Switch, even including big series like Zelda and Mario Party. So i would rank it high for just that reason, previous Nintendo consoles would be entirely barren during those transition years.

Took me all day, but I’m finally back to write and share my thoughts. I gave it a 5 after watching and I fully stand by that. This was I think my favorite Direct since the Xenoblade 3 / Mario Kart 8 BCP one. Not sure if it edges it out, I barely remember two Directs back on a good day, but that feeling of the big announcements both surprising and hitting with plenty of good small hits reminds me of it. My criteria for a good show in general is walking away with two things I’m excited about which Directs usually clear easily for me. This one was obviously no exception as I walked away with 16(!) things I was excited about and yeah the pacing was terrific except the drop from Dragon Quest to…Funko…lol.

Big games then, first one was Mario and Luigi Brothership. I was blown away here, I thought it was some kind of remaster at first, but then it was obvious this was a big new adventure and we’d finally get the glorious return of original characters! Having original characters matters to me as it makes Mario’s world feel bigger and I tend to latch onto characters the most when I play games. I’m really intrigued by the ship set up since hypothetically like the Galaxy games you can kind of have whatever setting and set up you want for each island. The lively character animations looked awesome too!

We got a lot of good hits along the way to Zelda, my next big one, including Fantasian, Mio, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Dragon Quest HD-2D Trilogy, Marvel Vs Capcom Collection, and Super Mario Party (which as a lapsed Mario Party fan looked interesting). I expected a lot of RPGs, but the ones here plus Romancing Saga 2 later on, were even more than I hoped!

Alright Zelda then. Ok I’ve always wanted this game. Like literally I’d go to bed thinking about what I’d want from it and to see the setup with Link fighting the big bad (Ganon here), losing, but rescuing Zelda with his last action, who then goes on to escape and now has to free him is like exactly what I wanted. I was so excited to see it playing out and I was so invested to see what would come next! Zelda Zelda looks awesome! While I wanted a 3D adventure for my dream version, I did want an experimental game for this and wow this looks cool! I’m a little concerned the open ended nature with a powerful central ability might leave me a little cold like Tears of the Kingdom did, but I’m pretty optimistic with both the tools shown here and that the restrictions of 2D gameplay will keep it more focused. Also I love the art style!

The two biggest third party games for me were definitely Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and The Hundred Line Last Defense Academy. AAI2 is straightforward hype for me. I love the Ace Attorney games so I’m just super excited to play a new to me game especially one that has been unlocalized for so long. The first Investigations is just a bonus here and I’m glad we’re getting a physical release. The Hundred Line looks wild and I’m so hyped to see both Kodaka and Uchikoshi collaborate on the story and world. I don’t need to know anything else here, just day one.

Finally the big finale was Metroid Prime 4 Beyond. It was either here or at the Switch 2 presentation, but it still felt unbelievable to finally see it. I can see people saying oh it’s just Prime again and there’s a small part of me that’s feeling that, but wow a new Prime game after 18 years! Literally three of my all time favorite games ever made and they just showed right off the bat yes this is a Prime game with scanning, jumping around enemies, morph balling in third person, and a big alien planet to explore accompanied by some cool Metroid tunes. I don’t have to worry anymore this will be something too different essentially, I’m just getting another potential favorite game of all time here. Wow! The only thing that really took me out were a few of the graphical effects, namely the fire in Sylux’s entrance, and Sylux himself. I just beat Federation Force so seeing him there just made me laugh with his “and there he is! That’s him! That’s Sylux!” entrance lol. But yeah, super hyped overall.

So yeah the big things absolutely hit and there are so many great small things. Top tier Direct then for me, 5 stars.

Thank you for these threads.

One suggestion if possible @Guaraná , can the links for the previous threads also be baked into OP? It would be fun to click on that and see e.g. "ah yea, look at that crappy lineup, was definitely a two-star Direct" :p
I know its extra busy work tho.

===

I gave this Direct 4 Stars. For me, I factor in both strength of content as well as production of the Direct, I.e. how slick and engaging I felt the presentation itself was.

The first half, was kind of boring IMO. Lots of Mario spinoffs and remasters. Switch Sports is not exciting, unf. A bunch of JRPGs, which I often like, but in a presentation in close proximity they tend to blend together.

But with the Second half, content-wise, WOWZERS

• playable Zelda, her own mainline adventure, super stoked, insta-buy
  • Ace Attorney Investigations, over the moon for it
  • Prime 4 is here, its awesome, it;s cross-gen
  • Dragon Quest HD-2D series looks beautiful
  • they are remaking Romancing Saga 2, incredible
  • that Danganronpa-like joint looks weirdly amazing
  • I've been a bit Mario'd out, but it is admittedly nice to see the Mario and Luigi series live again
  • NSO game updates are amazing

That said, presentation-wise, this Direct did not feel as engaging for me. What really felt like it was rather slapdash was the Prime 4 "one more game" section, I felt like the trailer was missing "oomph" due to the direction, the cuts, the music. (The game itself, ofc, will be "oomph" defined).

All in all, with at long last a "Legend of Link" game AND Prime 4 being fully revealed (and basically dated to the Switch 2 launch) this Direct was gonna be considered a banger overall.

I updated with links to the previous directs threads.

Final Results New
7d80dd57-8635-4927-8def-23d61ef5b062_text.gif

STOP THE COUNT!

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
YOUR VOICES HAVE BEEN HEARD
DEMOCRACY WON!

With 654 votes the June 2024 Nintendo Direct was rated as a 4,361 Stars Direct, ranking in 1st place in the since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking!

Current since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking:
  1. Jun 2024 Regular Direct - 4,36 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 654 votes
  2. Feb 2022 Regular Direct - 4.26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  3. Feb 2023 Regular Direct - 4.00 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 469 votes
  4. Jun 2023 Regular Direct - 3.62 stars ⭐⭐⭐417 votes
  5. Jun 2022 Partner Direct - 3.60 stars⭐⭐⭐366 votes
  6. Sep 2022 Regular Direct - 3.44 stars ⭐⭐⭐ 352 votes
  7. Feb 2024 Partner Direct - 3.03 stars ⭐⭐⭐ 446 votes
  8. Sep 2023 Regular Direct - 2.90 stars ⭐⭐ 512 votes
Stars criteria: Since everyone giving 5 stars would be virtually impossible a 5-star Direct will be considered those with results from 4,76 to 5 stars; 4-star Direct will go from 4,00 to 4,75 stars; 3 stars, from 3,00 to 3,99 stars; 2 stars, from 2,00 to 2,99 stars and finally a 1-star Direct will be everything bellow.

Yeah that checks out. It was a great show made even better by the context of the expectations people had for the eighth year of the Switch. I get it.

STOP THE COUNT!

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
DEMOCRACY WON!

With 654 votes the June 2024 Nintendo Direct was rated as a 4,361 Stars Direct, ranking in 1st place in the since-Famiboards-is-a-thing Nintendo Direct ranking!

Stars criteria: Since everyone giving 5 stars would be virtually impossible a 5-star Direct will be considered those with results from 4,76 to 5 stars; 4-star Direct will go from 4,00 to 4,75 stars; 3 stars, from 3,00 to 3,99 stars; 2 stars, from 2,00 to 2,99 stars and finally a 1-star Direct will be everything bellow.
YIPPIE!!!! I honestly think this was the best Nintendo Direct since June 2021 (which notably had Mario Party as well? Maybe that is the secret to my heart!)

This is actually a direct that got better for me after the fact. Had to watch it while at work so the hype announcements didn't hit or land. But watching it again at home, it's a strong direct.

I'll reiterate my view that this feels very much like a b team direct. Basically content that would show up on a Nintendo handheld and not the home console. Not that there's anything wrong with it but does signal the A teams are working on Switch 2

I'll reiterate my view that this feels very much like a b team direct. Basically content that would show up on a Nintendo handheld and not the home console. Not that there's anything wrong with it but does signal the A teams are working on Switch 2
But here's the thing, that sounds awesome lol. Nintendo handheld games are great, and I am glad that style of development did not die with the death of dedicated handhelds (even if it has unfortunately slowed down in the Switch era).

But yes, I think your assessment is on the money. Even Nintendo agrees - the special edition system for Echoes of Wisdom is a Switch Lite, not an OLED

I think context will always play a significant whole in these votes. Our expectations were very low for this Direct and ending with Prime 4 made all the difference. So even if it wasn't a Direct full of AAA, impossible ports etc etc etc, it delivered a lot of good stuff in a period of a hardware life cycle that Nintendo usually isn't that strong.

Completely baffled that this was the Direct to take first place so far, but you people do you, of course.
New game announced in a beloved series assumed to be dormant after the developer shutdown, a new Zelda announced that fulfills two requests fans have been making for a while (a new 2D game, and playable Zelda), a new Mario Party game that seems to be continuing the series' upward trajectory on the Switch, Metroid Prime 4 finally being shown (the trailer was bad but the game looks great and at least we got to see it!), DQ3 HD2D getting a proper reveal at long last, plus a bunch of smaller but hype announcements like the MvC collection, a DK port, the Ace Attorney Investigations collection, Fantasian, the NSO updates... and all of this in the eighth year of the system's life where people had assumed the system would be running on scraps and fumes after its life cycle was allegedly drawn out further than expected because of a reported internal delay for a successor originally planned to take the stage this year, and with Nintendo seemingly having blown their load last year... it makes total sense why this specific Direct hit so hard lol.

I don't think it's the best Direct of the Switch era, but it's in a high tier, and I understand why it elicited such positive reactions.

I think context will always play a significant whole in these votes. Our expectations were very low for this Direct and ending with Prime 4 made all the difference. So even if it wasn't a Direct full of AAA, impossible ports etc etc etc, it delivered a lot of good stuff in a period of a hardware life cycle that Nintendo usually isn't that strong.
You'll also notice that specific franchises will always lead to a good direct in people's eyes.

Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Smash Bros will always boost it up.

If you told me 48 hours ago that this direct was going to take the all time slot (since late 2021), I would've called BS.

Legendary system.

For me, the one thing that really pushed me to give this Nintendo Direct five stars was not only were there major announcements and huge surprises, it was the fact that everything that was meant to hit, really did hit with me. Normally with most Directs, I remember some of the headlines associated with the Direct from third-parties but, even after watching this Direct after my initial reaction, the Direct was so full that I can only think about the first-party announcements... I mean, I feel like normally Basketball in Nintendo Switch Sports would be something I would be talking about for days but no! There was a new Mario and Luigi, a new 2D Zelda, a new Mario Party? I am not the biggest Metroid Prime fan to be honest (mainly because I have only played the first game) but I am beyond the moon for that game, it looks so good and I am so excited to play it!! I am so happy for those that have been waiting the past seven years to see it! There was also Dragon Quest and everything else that I know I will love. I am just really happy with this Nintendo Direct!

Me and my friend watched it together and, really, until Donkey Kong Country Returns HD was shown, me and them were still talking about the Direct opening on Mario and Luigi! This Nintendo Direct was an absolute dream and it is crazy that we are possibly going to be entering a couple of years where this will become the norm again (especially within the June Directs)! I thought this one would be "the calm before the storm" Nintendo Direct but it was so far from that... it might be the start of the storm! :)

That's exactly it. That absolutely played such a dramatic role in the voting. Expectations were to the floor and ya know...we weren't spoiled on it.

I don't think it was the best direct ever but it was as good as you can expect at this current point in time tbh.

@Guaraná looking back at the rankings, suprised last year's Sept 2023 direct came in dead last, below even the infamous Sept 2022 farming direct.

This Direct getting the first place just feels right to me. It is true that the low expectations play in its favor, but I don't think that rating Directs taking into account their context is a bad thing.

The return of a beloved Mario franchise which no one knew if it was ever coming back, with a lot of charm, amazing animations and going to the roots. Finally a Mario Party with a good number of boards that look a lot better than the Super Mario Party ones, with tons of minigames, new modes and online multiplayer for 20 players. A brand new 2D Zelda, using the style of LA, with Zelda as the main protagonist and with a completely new take into the gameplay of the series. Metroid Prime 4, FINALLY.

Not in my wildest dreams could I've expected such amazing surprises in the (likely) final direct of the Switch era. Even if just Zelda and Mario & Luigi were revealed, it would have surpassed my expectations.

New game announced in a beloved series assumed to be dormant after the developer shutdown, a new Zelda announced that fulfills two requests fans have been making for a while (a new 2D game, and playable Zelda), a new Mario Party game that seems to be continuing the series' upward trajectory on the Switch, Metroid Prime 4 finally being shown (the trailer was bad but the game looks great and at least we got to see it!), DQ3 HD2D getting a proper reveal at long last, plus a bunch of smaller but hype announcements like the MvC collection, a DK port, the Ace Attorney Investigations collection, Fantasian, the NSO updates... and all of this in the eighth year of the system's life where people had assumed the system would be running on scraps and fumes after its life cycle was allegedly drawn out further than expected because of a reported internal delay for a successor originally planned to take the stage this year, and with Nintendo seemingly having blown their load last year... it makes total sense why this specific Direct hit so hard lol.

I don't think it's the best Direct of the Switch era, but it's in a high tier, and I understand why it elicited such positive reactions.
The fact that I can only begin to understand the positive reception after you have summed it up and explained it so concisely probably says a lot about how cold I am / was to the actual show itself.

I would give a 5 if there was something f-zero / gx remaster in there. I wonder what's the consensus in its existence.

Edit: Also who's developing Mario and Luigi?

The fact that I can only begin to understand the positive reception after you have summed it up and explained it so concisely probably says a lot about how cold I am / was to the actual show itself.
lol, I get it, one of my friends who loves the Switch got nothing out of this show either. It's a shame, but hopefully the Switch 2 reveal is more to your liking!

Basically content that would show up on a Nintendo handheld and not the home console. Not that there's anything wrong with it but does signal the A teams are working on Switch 2
That certainly checks out with 2D Zelda, Mario & Luigi, and effectively a HD port of DKCR 3D being the main headlines. And a lot of JRPGs which has been a major undercurrent of Nintendo handheld system libraries since the GBA.

But that's also the magic of the Switch to me: you get your big budget projects like Metroid Prime 4 and TotK alongside all the low-to-medium budget projects that would've otherwise shown up on the handhelds without needing to own additional hardware. Best of both worlds, best of Nintendo.

i wonder if people look back at the feb 2022 direct and agree with it's score haha. Context always matters and plays such a huge role in how people feel in the moment after these direct.

I think it's really cool that Nintendo has so many good franchises that people can have different reactions.

Like, theoretically a person exists who loves Kirby, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Smash, Splatoon and Pokemon. It would be impossible for you to say the person isn't a Nintendo fan; and yet they could watch this direct and say "nothing for me! Two stars"

Life is interesting.

I think it's really cool that Nintendo has so many good franchises that people can have different reactions.

Like, theoretically a person exists who loves Kirby, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Smash, Splatoon and Pokemon. It would be impossible for you to say the person isn't a Nintendo fan; and yet they could watch this direct and say "nothing for me! Two stars"

Life is interesting.
That’s basically me, but replace Kirby, Animal Crossing, Smash, and Pokémon with Pikmin, Platinum Games games (Astral Chain and Bayonetta), Nintendo Warriors titles, and maybe something akin to Captain Toad / Pushmo aka Pullblox / Clubhouse Games aka 51 Worldwide Games, and similar titles. Or even with a Nintendo published third party release: Octopath / Bravely Default, etc. 2D Metroid, too, though there was at least Prime 4 in there.

That’s basically me, but replace Kirby, Animal Crossing, Smash, and Pokémon with Pikmin, Platinum Games games (Astral Chain and Bayonetta), Nintendo Warriors titles, and maybe something akin to Captain Toad / Pushmo aka Pullblox / Clubhouse Games aka 51 Worldwide Games, and similar titles. Or even with a Nintendo published third party release: Octopath / Bravely Default, etc. 2D Metroid, too, though there was at least Prime 4 in there.
Yeah, it means sometimes a direct will be a miss for you thats a hit for everyone else, but then for other people its the opposite

Not sure many other companies can have that situation with their showcases

Yup, checks out.

M&L, 2D Zelda and Prime 4 is a formidable enough trio on its own for me. But there’s context behind each of them that makes their existence even cooler than on paper

M&L - AlphaDream being dead lowered my expectations for ever seeing the series again, but it’s back AND the mandate is officially gone?!

2D Zelda is new which I’ve wanted for so long, AND Zelda’s playable AND it brings over ideas from BotW/TotK?!

And Prime 4…. Well it’s been 7 fucking years!

Last edited:
It was a good show. Latter half was excellent. Definitely not my favourite showcase of this Switch era - there's been indie worlds I liked more if you consider those "directs". The Partner Showcase with Persona and Portal was more consistent than this show too, imo. But I still enjoyed the show a lot.

I really enjoyed it. Mario & Luigi was a great surprise and my favorite reveal of the direct, so that’s a day one buy for sure. Mario Party is up there as well, since it looks like it’s going to be the best one on Switch. Probably day one for that too. Zelda looks interesting but I’m not totally sold yet so I’ll wait for more info. Metroid Prime 4 is Metroid Prime 4. Donkey Kong Country Returns Returns Again is fine but I wanted a new DK at this point. Overall I give it a 4/5. Better than expected.

Poop, didn't get to vote in time lol

I mean, I'd agree with the overall consensus. It was a soft 4 right up until Metroid Prime, because even then I thought it was Metroid Prime 2 remaster. Left feeling content, even if I would have wished some things different

STOP THE COUNT!

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
DEMOCRACY WON!

I maintain that the Sep 2023 Direct was absolutely fucking ROBBED. TTYD remake automatically elevates it to 6 stars. No I will not be taking questions

I'm kinda curious how people rate this Direct compared to the legendary Directs from 2018 until 2021. The last few years have had the quieter showcases compared to the earlier years.

I'm kinda curious how people rate this Direct compared to the legendary Directs from 2018 until 2021. The last few years have had the quieter showcases compared to the earlier years.
I Think March 2018 is probably my favorite overall. Don't remember a lot about what was brand new, but bunch of cool games like Warioware gold were shown off, + Ending with the triple feature of splatoon 3.0, Octo Expansion and Smash ultimate.

IMO a lot of the directs after that leaned a little too heavily on TOTK and smash DLC reveals, so I wouldn't say many of them beat this direct. Cool reveals, but became predictable over time

Back
Top Bottom