• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews R(h)ate the Direct (June 2024, General Direct Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ -- POLL CLOSED, RESULTS ARE IN

How would you rate today's event?

• 1 star

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 63 9.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 249 38.1%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 328 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only direct in Switch era that I am sure was more hype was the BotW sequel one. Banjo for smash plus that was amazing!

I might have other contenders for 2nd place if I recall them all but I think this will hold it

Mario & Luigi looks super charming. The Zelda seems like a super well thought beautiful gameplay experience. Metroid 4 finally!!!!

Smaller notable stuff was Perfect Dark, Darkest Dungeon 2 and a couple of other games looked at least worth considering to buy... I will have to see reviews for that draganropa-like game and a few others.

Also that Mario Party looks like the package it should always have been. That game looks PACKED with content and multiplayer options.

Definitely a fun holiday pick

5⭐️ absolute cinema our trust in the process finally granted 🙏

So many suprises, i bet if the whole nintendo fanbase had to put their life on a bingo spread this direct, every one of our asses would be dead 🤣

Last edited:
Still wanted Fe4 remake, but I liked:

Dragon quest 3 and 1 and 2 hd2d
Fairy Tail 2
Farmagia
Phantom Brave
DKC returns hd
Mario and Luigi Brothers hip
Hundred Line
Mario Party Jamboree
Metroid Prime 4
Metal Slug
Marvel vs Capcom collection
Ace Attorney Collection.
2d zelda.
Looney Tunes Wacky World of Sports

Was a ton of stuff for me.

Last edited:
Mario & Luigi looks super charming. The Zelda seems like a super well thought beautiful gameplay experience. Metroid 4 finally!!!!

Smaller notable stuff was Perfect Dark, Darkest Dungeon 2 and a couple of other games looked at least worth considering to buy... I will have to see reviews for that draganropa-like game and a few others.

Also that Mario Party looks like the package it should always have been. That game looks PACKED with content and multiplayer options.

Definitely a fun holiday pick
Mario party look so damn good you can feel the love for the game in some those maps that was missing before Superstars. Super Mario Party had so much potential if they left the dish baking to fully realize itself with some good maps and twists we all knew it, and NDCube finally cooked to the fullest the way they always could 🔥🔥

Here's to hoping there's no golden pipe bs this time 🥂 😂

I like the announcements, but most trailers were not really good production wise. Especially the Metroid Prime Teaser felt off. 3.5/5.

4 stars largely for the surprise 2D Zelda and Mario & Luigi.

Also nice to see Prime 4 finally but it didn't blow my socks off. Mario Party looked great that I may pick it up, which before this Direct I wasnt really interested in another MP on Switch but this one looks great. DKCR HD was the clear weak reveal from Nintendo, especially if it means no brand new Donkey Kong in 2025 on Switch. I guess we will see...

On the 3rd party side I'm glad to see DQ3 finally, it's really cool to see AAI2 finally get localized, and MvC is surprisingly not dead!

I quite liked it. Sure, no new DK, but at least we got a HD Remaster. I wasn't expecting Metroid Prime 4, and definitely not a new Mario & Luigi and Mario Party.

9/10, unbelievable for a last year direct. Tempted to give it a ten, but I feel like the last June one was just a small step above

Genuine question: is the new Mario Party a traditional Mario Party, or some sort of weird playable Bowser BS again? He seemed prominent, and he was there as player 5 in some of the shots of the game. I don't mind Bowser being playable, but they really don't need to change the formula like they did during the Mario Party Dark Ages

Genuine question: is the new Mario Party a traditional Mario Party, or some sort of weird playable Bowser BS again? He seemed prominent, and he was there as player 5 in some of the shots of the game. I don't mind Bowser being playable, but they really don't need to change the formula like they did during the Mario Party Dark Ages
It's looking like a regular Mario Party with some minigames where Bowser is the master in the typical 1vs.the rest of the players-like mini games.

The characters aren’t all in a car together

5 stars easily, and would be even higher than that.
Metroid Prime 4: Beyond alone would make for it, but it had much more than I could ever dream of. Even the stuff I did predict just turned out to be much more amazing than I was expecting.
2D Zelda with Zelda playable being pretty big and with a super interesting mechanic;
Mario Party going much bigger than ever when I was expecting just Game Cube Superstars;
Mario & Luigi returning for the happiness of the fans who probably had given up on it(and damn 3 Mario RPGs in a row!! I'm not complaining!);
Stray coming to Switch as an impossible port and looking great;
LEGO Horizon appearing!! An Unreal 5 game on the Switch and it looks good!!
A new sport for Switch Sports out of nowhere??
DK Returns HD, well, it's damn time for a new entry, but it's probably mid/late 2025 so it's better to wait for September or February Direct, it's a nice appetizer;
And Switch being super alive in 2025 is insane but super great!!

Obviously this is personal preference, but 3 stars. It would have been 4 had we gotten a proper 2D Zelda and not a Builders-like spinoff. I do not see how it would work in combat and I am not into it. I am not exactly a Metroid fan either, so Prime 4 did not do much for me.
Mario & Luigi looks absolute fire, and DQ and Ace Attorney are great, so 3 stars for me. DK is also a good addition.
I would have like a clearer longer term NSO roadmap, with Fire Emblem Sacred Stones or maybe even the mainline Pokemon games. I understand why people rate it so highly though.

I’m struggling to think of much I disliked here outside of Zelda’s artstyle and combat. Pretty easy 5 stars, even with Fire Emblem 4 remake MIA.

Most people didn’t go into a direct in a system’s 8th year expecting a brand new 3D Mario or Animal Crossing or whatever. I don’t know why getting spin-offs is surprising and remasters is surprising.

Given now that Nintendo has the habit of only announcing their new games on Directs under a very sporadic rate, there'll be big expectations for what's coming.

Btw the direct response that I'm seeing on the internet has been overwhelmingly positive. It's crazy to think that Nintendo knocked it out of the park in the 8th year of its console when everyone is desperately waiting for the next switch with an only switch 1 direct.

Wow. The views & social numbers are already big for the individual announcements in this Direct & it has only been a few hours.

Even the games some like to complain "no one cares about" (e.g. JRPGs, farming games) are doing numbers in a region or other. I think a lot of the major demographics were served, which helps.

This is the most attention a Direct has garnered in a while & it's overwhelmingly positive.

I'd also like to formally apologize to Metroid for calling it "small" a few weeks ago. It's curb-stomping the so-called "big games" from the other presentations numbers-wise in just 6 hours. Sales will follow, if it's good.

Last edited:
This was one weird old franchise revival (Hotel Dusk HD, Eliter Beat Agents, where are you?) off being kinda my perfect Nintendo Direct. Pacing was great, whole thing was great fun, and every few minutes my bank balance wept softly and I made no apologies.

Easily one of the best they’ve ever done.

Prime 4
2D Zelda with playable Zelda
New Mario and Luigi
Investigations 2 localisation and release after 10,000 years

Are all megatons for me. 5/5

I expected way more first party ports or remakes, happily surprised with so many new games!
Though personally I think there were too many farm sims and jrpgs. I would rather they cut 10 min from the show instead. That would put it at a 5/5 for me but it was a solid 4.

I am actually glad there was no TP/WW but I hope that means that TP gets the MPR treatment on Succ (not expecting it though).

Also: three Mario rpgs in 12 months? Whats up with the pacing there, hehe.

Thank you for these threads.

One suggestion if possible @Guaraná , can the links for the previous threads also be baked into OP? It would be fun to click on that and see e.g. "ah yea, look at that crappy lineup, was definitely a two-star Direct" :p
I know its extra busy work tho.

===

I gave this Direct 4 Stars. For me, I factor in both strength of content as well as production of the Direct, I.e. how slick and engaging I felt the presentation itself was.

The first half, was kind of boring IMO. Lots of Mario spinoffs and remasters. Switch Sports is not exciting, unf. A bunch of JRPGs, which I often like, but in a presentation in close proximity they tend to blend together.

But with the Second half, content-wise, WOWZERS

• playable Zelda, her own mainline adventure, super stoked, insta-buy
  • Ace Attorney Investigations, over the moon for it
  • Prime 4 is here, its awesome, it;s cross-gen
  • Dragon Quest HD-2D series looks beautiful
  • they are remaking Romancing Saga 2, incredible
  • that Danganronpa-like joint looks weirdly amazing
  • I've been a bit Mario'd out, but it is admittedly nice to see the Mario and Luigi series live again
  • NSO game updates are amazing

That said, presentation-wise, this Direct did not feel as engaging for me. What really felt like it was rather slapdash was the Prime 4 "one more game" section, I felt like the trailer was missing "oomph" due to the direction, the cuts, the music. (The game itself, ofc, will be "oomph" defined).

All in all, with at long last a "Legend of Link" game AND Prime 4 being fully revealed (and basically dated to the Switch 2 launch) this Direct was gonna be considered a banger overall.

Upon further review change my vote from 4 to 5 stars based on how good all 1st party games look.

While there wasn't any Silksong, there is no way I can't rate it 5 stars with a new Zelda and Metroid Prime 4

Edit: I should also say that this is the first Direct I've ever rated 5 stars.

Last edited:
A great direct especially given what I would have expected from a direct during what is the Switch’s “lame duck” year.

5 stars , good thirdies , but principaly many new first party in the last year of switch , wicth normally at this times at other consoles nintendo starts to refrain to remakes and remasters

prime 4 , mario and luigi , mario party and zelda will be the better way to close up the switch era

also bonus points for last 3 have pt-br

overall ,it will be a good year for switch

I was very happy to see M&L, DK, Prime, Zelda, and Mario Party. The loads of anime games brings it down to a 4.5/5 though.

Average 3 for me. Nothing ground breaking and mostly expected/rehashed stuff.

Only interested in Mario & Luigi and Zelda Echoes. If it weren't for those 2 it would've been a 2 star.

Zelda saved it and made it a 3 star for me. I didn't care about much else that was shown. Metroid looks cool but I have never played any of the Prime games and only the first one is on Switch. I am interested in those DQ remakes as well as I have never played those.

I definitely understand how it could be hype for some though if you are a fan of Mario and Luigi, Mario Party, Marvel vs Capcom, and Metroid Prime. It was just not for me.

3 feels mean, but 3

Excited to play with Zelda's core mechanic

Thought Prime 4 was a Prime 2 remaster until the last segment (oops). Still looking forward to full release

Nothing third party this time

Would have enjoyed some smaller oddball projects

Also at a 3 for me, new 2D Zelda being the highlight, although not super blown away like others. Amazing to see MP4 finally shown (and it looks very good), but it seems like more of the same? I guess time will tell on that one.

Mario and Luigi looks good (I’m a fan of the art style) but baffling to me that we would get three separate Mario RPG revivals in 12 months. DKCRHD is a bit disappointing, although no doubt a good game, something new would have been more exciting.

Nothing else particularly jumped out at me, and no sign of WW/TP is a big 👎🏼

EDIT: shoutout to the gold switch lite, that would be a terrible financial decision, and Zero Mission coming to NSO. No excuses not to wrap up my 2D Metroid play through.

I have no interest in any of the games but I still have to give it five stars. Old Shit Year was not real.

Obviously this is personal preference, but 3 stars. It would have been 4 had we gotten a proper 2D Zelda and not a Builders-like spinoff. I do not see how it would work in combat and I am not into it.
What are you talking about? That was a "proper" 2D Zelda and we even saw how the combat worked in the trailer.

Probably the first "5" I've given out in recent years.

Any one of my biggest hits could've made this an easy 4, but getting M&L, a new 2D Zelda, friggin MAHVEL and finally, Metroid Prime 4? Along with some other niceties such as Romancing Saga and a comprehensive remaster of DKC Returns?

'Twas a good time.

Was a surprisingly damn good Direct. I was going in with pretty low expectations tbh because Nintendo consoles tend to end weak so seeing a couple of things I wanted was a nice pleasant surprise. A low 4, at least. Hoping that this means future Nintendo systems will continue to have good releases late into their lifespan

they saw our crying and whining over the future of mario rpgs and wanted us to shut up.
Arlo had his use for once

Thank you for these threads.

One suggestion if possible @Guaraná , can the links for the previous threads also be baked into OP? It would be fun to click on that and see e.g. "ah yea, look at that crappy lineup, was definitely a two-star Direct" :p
I know its extra busy work tho.

===

I gave this Direct 4 Stars. For me, I factor in both strength of content as well as production of the Direct, I.e. how slick and engaging I felt the presentation itself was.

The first half, was kind of boring IMO. Lots of Mario spinoffs and remasters. Switch Sports is not exciting, unf. A bunch of JRPGs, which I often like, but in a presentation in close proximity they tend to blend together.

But with the Second half, content-wise, WOWZERS

• playable Zelda, her own mainline adventure, super stoked, insta-buy
  • Ace Attorney Investigations, over the moon for it
  • Prime 4 is here, its awesome, it;s cross-gen
  • Dragon Quest HD-2D series looks beautiful
  • they are remaking Romancing Saga 2, incredible
  • that Danganronpa-like joint looks weirdly amazing
  • I've been a bit Mario'd out, but it is admittedly nice to see the Mario and Luigi series live again
  • NSO game updates are amazing

That said, presentation-wise, this Direct did not feel as engaging for me. What really felt like it was rather slapdash was the Prime 4 "one more game" section, I felt like the trailer was missing "oomph" due to the direction, the cuts, the music. (The game itself, ofc, will be "oomph" defined).

All in all, with at long last a "Legend of Link" game AND Prime 4 being fully revealed (and basically dated to the Switch 2 launch) this Direct was gonna be considered a banger overall.
I'll add the links later

I like the announcements, but most trailers were not really good production wise. Especially the Metroid Prime Teaser felt off. 3.5/5.
I honestly thought I was watching Metroid Prime 2 remake. Then it said Prime 4, and I was like "oh......". Underwhelming after all this time.

But then they showed the last part after the 2025 screen with the birds and greenery, and that looked good. And the bad guy's reflection in Samus visor looked neat, thought maybe that's ray traced? Maybe that's the Switch 2 teaser.

I'm a bit late but that Direct was fantastic imo. Almost every game back to back interested me and I feel like it's been quite a while since I've felt like this watching a Direct. I really hope this one is the final Direct dedicated for the Switch because what other better way to go out with.

Back
Top Bottom