• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews R(h)ate the Direct (June 2024, General Direct Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ -- POLL CLOSED, RESULTS ARE IN

How would you rate today's event?

• 1 star

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 63 9.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 249 38.1%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 328 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It shouldn't be there at all, the game coming in few days.

There were others as well. Hello Kitty a Apple Arcade crap. Metal Slug, gacha mobile shit (kind of an insult to us Metal Slug fans) Funko? Come on. They also showed the same Tales of the Shire trailer before.
There's no way they're not going to market it given the chance if it's not released yet

and Hello Kitty isn't crap at all it's a surprise quality cozy game hit!

Was pretty good, some big heavy hitters for 1st party but only three new games is showing the era of the Switch we're in. 3.5/5, but I'll round up to 4 for the poll.

Gave it a 4/5. Very strong for potentially the last Switch direct.

Was missing some big things that would have got me to a 5, but plenty of great stuff. I'm excited for the Zelda game and happy to finally get a look at Metroid Prime 4.

Considering where we're at at the switches life, it's REALLY hard to give it anything less than 5 stars, context is really important in this, and it was knocked out of the park.

I wanted to give it a 4 because of no FE 4 but that's just me being petty haha. I did not expect these announcements. I had completely written off Prime 4 and a Zelda game for this direct(hell Zelda for this year even) and they both happened. NSO update is gonna be fire. Super Mario Party Jamboree or whatever silly ass name it got looks like they cooked a banquet. Obviously Mario and Luigi was a nice surprise. I really though that series was dead and the next time we'd see it is in the form of a remake in like 5 years.

Dragon Quest 3 2d-hd looked good even though I'm not a DQ fan. Plenty of other games looked interesting like Mio I think it was called. Hard to be disappointed tbh. For what was possibly the last general for the switch it was by far one of the best for the switch. I don't know if it was the best but it was better than I think we were expecting or could've expected tbh.

That's a 5/5 baby.

To get THAT Direct this late in the Switch's life cycle is insane...

Nintendo don't miss.

S Tier.

There’s no way this can be anything but a five. I had zero expectations and I came out absolutely blown away. Incredible show.

4 stars

• Only crazy moment for me was The Legend of Link
  • DKC HD is great but is a remake
  • Mario and Luigi looks awesome, but it's not one of my top IPs
  • MP4 finally showed up, but won't be coming until next year
So very good, but not great

Pretty good. I'm not a Metroid guy, and I'm disappointed that Zelda stars in a goofy off heat game rather than her own epic adventure.

But considering we're at the tail end of the Switch's life, it's dying more gracefully than the Wii U or 3DS

I rated it 3 because apart from the 3 megatons it was subpar.
Which was expected for the last direct of a 7 years old system.
If we only rate the first party though it's 11/10.

It was good! Most of the games I'm interested in aren't really the high profile ones, but happy that people got Prime 4 and other big hitters

This is basically 3DS end of life all over again (except good): JRPGs galore, Metroid game, DK port

The only thing missing was better 3rd party support, but even then it certainly wasn't bad.

Very strong 4 stars, a little extra could've easily pushed it to 5. If they had shadowdropped Metroid Prime 2 Remastered, that would've done it.

Pretty good. I'm not a Metroid guy, and I'm disappointed that Zelda stars in a goofy off heat game rather than her own epic adventure.

But considering we're at the tail end of the Switch's life, it's dying more gracefully than the Wii U or 3DS
Huh? Its looks like an epic adventure to me, what are you talking about?

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, Perfect Dark on NSO, Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, and Metroid Prime 4.

Solid Direct overall. A little something for everyone for sure. Some things I was hoping for did not get announced, but I still hold out hope.

4 Stars for me.

7 stars jesus Christ

Metroid, Dragon Quest, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Ace Attorney in one single direct wtf

I'll go 3/5, I love that the LA remake style is being used in a new Zelda game but the game's new mechanic doesn't look that fun to me but maybe my opinion will change on that. I thought Prime 4's reveal was also kind of weird and underwhelming, at first I thought it might be some kind of remake, not exactly hype inducing. Felt like it was put together at the last minute tbh.

I gave it 5 because I'm a Metroid Prime fanboy and my relief at it looking like a proper old-school Metroid Prime game makes me very happy.
Zelda is cute and it's cool to make a 2D Zelda with the BOTW type freedom of play.
I never played a Mario and Luigi RPG so I'm keen on that but unsure of the art style, looks poor compared to other Mario Switch games

All the remakes are fine, for an EOL Direct, it was great.
Really can't wait for Switch 2.

So many things to love for me. Zero Mission on NSO and 17+ N64 games (hope for Conker!!!) was amazing, but man, just seeing all the main mascots at once shining. Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Link, Samus. It was epic. Wouldn't be surprised at all if this was indeed the final Switch 1-only Direct with all that stuff.

Things I loved

Mario & Luigi
Donkey Keng
Metroid Prime 4 (looks gorgeous, will get for Switch 2)
Saga with a budget :O!!!!!
Zelda Echoes
Capcom collection
Amazing NSO drops
FANTASIAN PHYSICAL PLEASE

Giving this direct a 9/10. Switch is cooking and we are eating :orang:

Metroid and Zelda? Usually I'd feel weird about giving a Direct a perfect score, but I think this one warrants it. Only way I could have loved it more was if they gave us Rhythm Heaven.

4/5 Stars, the direct was really good! Didn't think I would use my switch ever again, but there still some great things coming! Disappointed that we only get a DK Returns port, but it's at least something and I think we get a big new DK game next year!
Metroid prime 4 was a real surprise and highlight, I got goosebumps from that trailer, the soundtrack seems amazing from that short teaser.
Mario and Luigi and Zelda 2D game will also be day one for me!

Huh? Its looks like an epic adventure to me, what are you talking about?
The toy art style and emphasis on a new mechanic that makes goofy things happen don't say epic to me.

Like, it looks cool and fun.

But it doesn't look GRAND like BotW or TotK, and we've been waiting a long time for Zelda to get a starring role.

5*****

• Mario & Luigi
  • Fantasian
  • DKCR HD
  • DQIII HD-2D AND I & II in 2025! The trilogy is real!!
  • Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection
- Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom!
- Metroid Prime 4 Beyond!

NSO
  • Four Swords
  • Metroid Zero MIssion
  • Mature 17+ titles starting with Turok and Perfect Dark. Hopeful for MK Trilogy and MK 4 at some point!

Yeah, it was great! Slightly bummed about no WWHD or TPHD, but I'm hopeful these will come at some point on Switch or Switch 2. Also, curious where Prime 2/3 remasters are...

Just the fact we'll now be able to play every single DKC game on the Switch now is super cool to me. It's a great choice for another remaster and hopefully starts the hype train for DK64 NSO and an open world DK game on Switch 2!

Last edited:
2 starts

The entire year is literally just Mario, like come on, could have at least thrown in FE or something

This was one of the best Directs in a while. Super strong first party showings making it clear how much they can do when they don't have a hard ecosystem break.

Also 2D Zelda, DKCR HD and Metroid Prime 4 were the final "missing" games in the library for me. Their planning during the Switch era has been astounding.

5. Only thing missing was TP/We ports which is probably Switch 2 or cross gen at this point and Fire Emblem which is probably 2025

5. Only thing missing was TP/We ports which is probably Switch 2 or cross gen at this point and Fire Emblem which is probably 2025

I was thinking more Prime 2/3. WW and TP can come any given time on Switch even after Switch 2 comes out (backwards compatibility, unless they are Switch 2 exclusive instead), but with only Prime 4 announced and nothing on Prime 2 and 3, the dream looks dead for them sadly. Really wanted to have these ones badly.

That was a 4 stars Direct to me
We could have seen a FE remake or a brand new DK yes...but

We stil got finally a Metroid Prime 4 confirmation, a brand new Mario + Luigi, a brand new Zelda with playable princess and a new Mario Party, alongside a nice looking DQ remake and other (small/medium I recognize) third party games

With 4 very strong games to be released this year and a 2025 already shaping up nicely

All this for a 8YO console!

I thought it was great. 5/5. Metroid, Dragon Quest, Zelda, Mario & Luigi, SaGa, Fantasian. Stuff I'm really looking forward to a lot.

Genuinely went in expecting a 2 or maaaaybe a 3 & I was prepared for that.

Did not expect to be talking myself out of putting 5!

Day ones!
Zelda,
DQ (&I don’t particularly like HD-2D),
Donkey Kong (never played any of them before - I know, sorry)
Perfect Dark
Metroid Prime 4
Fantasian
Four swords
Stray

That was ridiculous, Nintendo.

Solid 4 stars for me. Nearly a five but a few too many games I was uninterested in throughout the headlines.

Playable Zelda
Mario and Luigi
Ace Attorney
Danganronpa but it isn’t Danganronpa but it kinda is Danganronpa
Perfect Dark on NSO
Metroid Prime 4

More than enough to tide me over until we get a successor!

4 Stars for me! Probably would have been 5 if Metroid gave me a little shock and awe. Honestly it was a fairly weak first showing.

Still Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong Returns, Marvel Capcom Collection, Dragon Quest 3HD, Mario Party(?!), Zelda, Nintendo Online! Man I was like this is pretty good! I’m glad to finally see Metroid but man it just did not wow me at all.

I told myself long ago that a direct with Metroid Prime 4 would automatically become the best direct ever.

3 stars for me. Disappointed about Zelda but seeing that MP4 really exists is cool. Thinking about jumping into the Metroid Prime franchise for the first time.
Also Fantasian(I started playing on IPhone) and that Dragon Quest HD:2D were my thing.

Back
Top Bottom